Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I was somewhat confused this morning (migraine drugs) and forgot to soak the lid of the bread crock for 15 minutes. Now I know what a big big difference the soaked top makes to the quality of the crust. This is a perfectly great bread, but the crust isn't crisp at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

King Arthur Flour. If you've got it, use coarse sea salt, which adds a a nice extra crunch.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

I always use fresh rosemary, too. But yeah, drat, they're good. BTW, if you own a pasta maker, rolling the dough out with the pasta maker is way way easier than trying to get an even thickness, at least for me.

e: How do you store 50 pounds of flour? Is there a standard restaurant container size that it fits, or do I find 2 25s, or what? I used most of a 30-pound Costco bag in a month, so I splurged and bought the smallest size of King Arthur Special Patent. A lot of the reviews from one bakery site say that this flour doesn't absorb much water; I'm hoping that this is that site's storage methods causing problems, nothing inherent to the flour. Experimentation!

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 22:15 on May 30, 2020

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Found in a hardware store or a restaurant supply store?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

large hands posted:

Costco always has lots for a few bucks a bag

Wow. Costco has KA in your area? In mine, it has generic flour that is pure white and unsourced.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Happiness Commando posted:

Two 5 gallon buckets. That way one can stay in the kitchen and the other can stay in the basement.

Basement? You luxurious capitalist.

(I live in Northern California. We are all about the basement-less ranch.)

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Today's sourdough loaf. Man, that foodbod recipe is solid gold.

https://foodbodsourdough.com/the-process/

I got confused this time and did the first fermentation in the fridge. No worries; took it out of the fridge, let it rise about 4 hours coming to room temperature, then re-fridged for the final rise. My oven runs low, so I bumped the temp to 475 and let it bake longer; I could have gone longer still for a deeper brown.

Also, if you, like me, have trouble getting bread from a banneton into a pot without losing bubbles, the Lodge combo cooker (I think it was recced here before, but a good thing is worth repeating) is a Godsend. Put the skillet part over the banneton, invert, cover with the Dutch oven part, and there you go. It would also be less fiddly when you were doing Jim Lahey's no-knead loaf and trying to juggle the dough into a very hot pan. The major downside: it's heavy.

By far my best crusts come from the faux- Romertopf cloche, though. Soak the clay lid in cold water, put it together, and get a glorious oven spring and glossy crust. Watch your second-hand stores and flea markets. Now if I could only find my brand-new lame...

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

I did a thing foodbod recommends and ordered a pack of disposable clear "shower bonnets" from Amazon. They are wonderful for covering rising bowls. No more trying to get the plastic wrap to stick to the sides of the bowl, reusable if you rinse them, transparent so you can see how high it's risen.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

I don't know if that's what caused the scorching, but the point of a cold oven loaf is that you don't preheat the oven. The dough and the pan go into a cold oven, and the slow rise to full heat gives you a final bit of rise.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

What's the baking pan trick?

Ironically, I've realized that my oven runs low, and I'm getting better results setting the oven higher by 25 degrees.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Got up this morning, tucked Foodbod's sourdough into its banneton into the fridge, put together a waffle sponge for supper. It's the most peaceful part of my day. I still need to work on transferring the bulk rise to the banneton without compressing the bubbles.

KA's waffle recipe says to "let rise at cool room temperature, 65-70." My fellow Americans, you are weird. That's just room temperature; in fact, in winter we have the thermostat set to 65.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Democratic Pirate posted:

Since it’s summer my thermostat is set to 77. Anything lower would burn out my AC since we’re hitting triple digits outside.

Yeah, my AC can only keep the room in the high 70s in the really bad days of summer.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

So far, in my experience the foodbod recipe is low on oven spring but makes up for it in flavor. Today's loaf stuck to the banneton (bad me, needs more rice flour), so it's flatter than usual. :(

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Instead, it just sucked all that up and slowly peeled off, leaving a damp baguette Shroud of Torin behind.
I am sorry for your loss, but :perfect:

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Stretch-and-fold is the only thing that works for me on autolysed dough. I love you, my marble slab, unto death.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Lester Shy posted:

First dutch oven loaf:

This is a million times better than what I was getting out of the bread machine and not that much more work. Also cups and spoons can go to hell; measuring by weight is where it's at.

By the way: Is there a name for this style of fat, round loaf? I've seen it referred to as "artisan" or "rustic" bread, but there might be a more proper term.

"Hearth bread", apparently?

I want to leave you with Easy Hearth Bread

quote:

Nothing compares to Hearth Bread, freshly baked surrounded with family. The sprinkles on top just give it that extra special touch that my kids will hopefully remember and pass on to their kids some day.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

My experience has been that whole wheat is really thirsty, and I haven't figured out how to tell beforehand how much water to add to compensate. KA White Wheat used to include a rule of thumb on the package.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

LifeSunDeath posted:

The countertop is fine....ugh I really just need a cheap cutting board in general. I found that restaurant supply online you can get a large wood chopping board for 50 bucks, but they're rough cut, but everywhere else the cheapest option for a similar size is over 100 bux.

Honest to goodness, get a marble cheese board. They're cheap, they're tough (mine's lasted 35 years), and it is an absolute joy to do sticky doughs on; your scraper slides across the surface and the dough peels off. And when you do make biscuits or pastry, it's a cool surface without any pre-chilling.

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/artisanal-kitchen-supply-reg-12-inch-x-16-inch-marble-board/5288179

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

The lye does make a big, big difference. (My brother makes his own bagels, so I'm basing this on talking to him.) Search for "food grade lye" at Amazon.

Dr. Harold McGee (genuflects) came up with a method of making baking soda more effective. See The Splendid Table for details; scroll to "Baked baking soda". The article is for pretzels, but the same principles would apply to bagels.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Dacap posted:

Nice ear on my loaf from this morning. Love this Foodbod recipe, it’s so simple and I get consistently great results.

Wow. your Foodbod is rising a LOT higher than mine. I'm going to try doing an initial knead with slap-and-fold to see if it helps.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

King Arthur Flour's minimal starter. Instead of keeping enough starter to bake bread immediately, you keep a smaller starter (two ounces), then build it up with multiple feedings whenever you want to bake. You trade off time for flour, basically.

However, KA's sourdough crackers are the bomb and dead easy, especially if you own a pasta machine.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Cyrano4747 posted:

I just do the final proof right in my cast iron. I line it with parchment paper, stick the dough in, leave it in the fridge for 24h, then toss it in the oven.

I lose a LOT of bubbles by flipping my slack breads from banneton to baking sheet. However, if I put a sheet of parchment over the banneton, put the lid of the Lodge combo cooker (god drat, that thing is heavy), and flip, the transfer is easier on the dough.

My poor sourdough. I usually keep my starter out, but there have been family crises + hot weather for the last few weeks. When I went in to feed it, I don't know what was floating on the surface, but it was orange. Fortunately, I had a bowl of discards in the fridge, and am slowly feeding a bit of that back to normality.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Super 3 posted:

That's the hooch - generally you can pour it off and you're good.
I know what the hooch looks like. There were colonies of something orange floating on it.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Super 3 posted:

Sounds nuts - I'm guessing you didn't snap a pic it?

Sadly, no.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Chad Sexington posted:

Any tips for rolling out the sourdough crackers? Taking my second shot at them with feta and jalapeno.

If you have a pasta maker, it is genius for rolling out the crackers.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I made some test dinner rolls and they came out much denser than I expected. Not too bad, but not the light and fluffy buns I was going for. What can cause this? My yeast was some I have had forever, but the dough rose just fine.

Bread, what a mystery.

Are you using a roll recipe, or just dividing a bread recipe into rolls? Rolls are soft because they contain fats and other ingredients; mashed potato is especially good, and boxed mashed potato works perfectly. Lenora's Yeast Rolls from Bernard Clayton are my go-to and I usually make them for Christmas and Thanksgiving.

https://www.letstalkbbq.com/index.php?topic=19372.0

I don't see them mentioned often in this thread, but Bernard Clayton's Book of Breads and Bernard Clayton's Book of Small Breads are excellent.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Eeyo posted:

That and maybe slashing. Were they in muffin tins or in one big pan? I think for muffin tins you could try scoring the top to ensure they can rise in the oven. If they’re not slashed the crust can prevent some oven spring. I feel like if they’re stuffed together it’s less of an issue since they can rise upward, but that’s just idle speculation.
I have never, ever had to slash the top of a fat-enriched roll. The crust doesn't dry out in the way that bread dough does.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Welp. Stopped baking when it got really hot this summer; we don't have central air conditioning and the kitchen and sitting room are joined. Pulled the sad, lonely starter out of the fridge yesterday, stirred into the hooch, and dropped some into a flour and water mixture. Fingers crossed!

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Casu Marzu posted:

Any thoughts on what I could insert into my 13" pullman pan to cut it down to 9"?

Make a tinfoil partition, then fill the unused area with dried beans (or baking beads, if you're that kind of tool victim, which I totally am.)

e: I kept my good yeast in the freezer, and that's what King Arthur Flour recommends, too. When the current scarcity eases off, I need to buy another brick.

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jan 4, 2021

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Is there a structural reason to make the three molded mini-loaves when making milk bread? For toast, I'd rather have the loaf have a consistent height.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Just ordered a pullman loaf pan, so excited to see if I can actually make sandwich bread.

I got one for Christmas! Haven't christened it yet.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

It's expensive to ship, but King Arthur Flour is a very good flour, if you can't get one locally. If you have Amazon Prime, you may be able to find a moderate quantity with free shipping.

If you aren't shy, sometimes a local bakery will sell you a little of their flour.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

My husband got me a Pullman pan for Christmas. Anybody got a favorite bread recipe for it? Normally I do (clumsy) artisan loaves.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Boris Galerkin posted:

I baked my first sourdough following this guide except I had to put it in the fridge overnight (got busy and ran out of time) and bake the next morning instead of the same day. It turned out okay, but way too sour. Is there something I can do to turn down the sourness of my starter?

That's probably not your starter. The longer you leave your bread to rise (and in the fridge it is still rising), the sourer it gets. Try it again in 12 hours rather than 24 and see how you like it.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Ginger Beer, that was the first appliance I have deeply coveted in about twenty years. I need your oven. Beautiful bread, though.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Oh, how pretty!

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

You can get OG gigantic pearl sugar on Amazon (and presumably other places); it's called "Lars' Own Belgian Pearl Sugar ", and Amazon reviewers think the recipe on the back of the box is great.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Aramoro posted:

Why don't you just eliminate salmonella like we have here? I cuddle my chickens everyday, no chance of getting salmonella.

Over here, we're trying to prevent bestiality. :colbert:

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

CancerCakes posted:

I keep seeing bread cutting guides through targeted adds, anyone have any experience of them? Seem gimmicky.

Back in the 1970s, when my dad baked the household bread, we had a hand-driven rotary slicer, which we used for sandwiches. It worked. If you have the counter space, just clip it to the counter and leave it. Apparently those aren't made any more, neither is the electric one Rival used to make.

I got mocked in school for bringing sandwiches on "round bread". Ah, the joys of childhood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Aramoro posted:

An electric meat slicer? They're still pretty common here, unless it's something specific about that exact model. I have one that looks like that in my loft somewhere.

No, my parents' was hand-cranked, which was somewhat more controllable and safer, although I still got myself a time or two.