Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Does anybody know where to find bannetons big enough for a batard loaf? The biggest I can find is 10 inches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

PurpleXVI posted:

Not so much a bread question as a generic dough question, I suppose, but it seemed like a thread where I might get a knowledgeable answer.

I consider myself a decent cook, but anything involving dough more complicated than pizza dough is always a bit of an arcane mystery to me. I feel like I'll make two batches of dough(for bread, for cinnamon buns, etc.) exactly the same, perfectly the same ingredients and ratios and treatment and all that(as far as I can tell, obviously there is some sort of difference) a week or two apart, and one of them will rise, the other will remain stubbornly almost completely flat and dense.

What are the "bread noob" mistakes that could cause this sort of thing without being super obvious to someone who doesn't bake for a living?
Are you proofing the yeast before using? I ask because I'm diagnosing my own disease; I found out while proofing yesterday that my yeast had flat-out died. Other than that, have you tried the "microwave as proofing box" trick? Nuke a cup of water until it boils, quickly open microwave, put bread in, close. (Do not turn the microwave back on!) This will give your dough a consistent warmth/humidity environment to rise in.

e: Proofing is just pouring ~a cup of the water/milk/liquid from the recipe, warming it to at least 80F or so, stirring the yeast in, and watching to see if the yeast has formed clumps on the surface by, say, 10 minutes. Then mix into flour as usual.

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

Thank you. What follows might be a bit of a silly question - if my problem is poor mixing, is there any harm in starting a 'no knead' dough in a stand mixer? Not to leave it running to develop the gluten, but just enough to make sure it's thoroughly mixed.
Unsolicited equipment rec: for years I have sneered at dough whisks (AKA Danish dough whisks). I was wrong. They incorporate dough as well as I can do with my hands, while being much easier to clean than my hands. https://www.seriouseats.com/danish-dough-whisk-brodpisker

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Dec 10, 2022

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

PurpleXVI posted:

Hm, I wasn't! I generally assumed that if the yeast looked... yeasty, and normal, and wasn't over the expected last-use date, the yeast would be alive.
I have never, ever had a yeast problem before living in my current house, but here I've had two different batches of a reliable brand (Red Star) fail without warning. I blame the refrigerator and freezer, both of which are inconsistent; if the new fridge doesn't solve the problem, I will blame yeast demons.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

So, my yeast has been known dead since Thursday. Everybody in the house is sick. We have a new fridge arriving Wednesday, so this is a bad time to open my last pack of Red Star.

I need my bread, man. I have recipes to make that aren't sourdough or levain based. I AM SUFfering here.

Also, thank you Mr. facetious.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

I need some help tracking down a recipe. My son thought it came from Salt Flour Water Yeast, but it's not there. As he remembers it, you made the dough in the evening, put it in a Dutch oven with an inch or so of olive oil, let it rise overnight, then baked it in the oven. The bread crisped in the olive oil as it baked. Does this ring a bell for anybody? No, he's pretty sure it wasn't a focaccia.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Dacap posted:

Tried out the King Arthur burger buns

Very nice.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

[Sorry, didn't read what you said, missed that you'd already ruled out ceramic.]

The Lodge combo works great for me. Have you considered a Roemertopf or equivalent? I found one cheap at a thrift store. Soak the lid in water, put the dough in, bake, and you get a gorgeous crust. Works fine without the water, too.

https://www.amazon.com/Romertopf/

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

If any of you are looking for stocking stuffers, buy your friend/partner/cat Paprika. You pay for it on each platform you use it on: desktop, phone, other phone.

You are wandering around the Web and you trip across a recipe you're interested; say the sour-cream-and-chive rolls upthread. You hit a bookmarklet in your browser and the recipe is parsed into ingredients, instructions, and any random metadata (total cooking time, calories, whatever) included on the page. The resulting data are uploaded into your personal database. All the musings about your childhood dog and his fondness for cow manure? Gone.

Then you take your phone into the kitchen. It synchs to your cloud. You pull out your phone, put it in a stand (what are we, peasants, here), and open Paprika. It has synched to the cloud, and the recipe is at the top of the most-recent list. It's in two tabs: ingredients and instructions. You flip between them with a touch. While Paprika is open, it keeps your phone from timing out; when you have two hands full of scallions about to tip into boiling oil, it is no time to have to unlock the phone.

Man, it simplifies your life. If you want to leave notes on the recipe or just update it, you can. There are also the usual doodads where you can take a recipe and it will autoscale, you can abstract out the ingredients into a shopping list, you can set timers ... I don't use those, but I'm sure they're useful.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

I started the Bon Appetit chive rolls yesterday afternoon, planning to shape that evening and chill in the fridge overnight. Right after supper, I checked and the first dough hadn't risen at all. We just replaced our fridge that had wildly inconsistent temperatures, so I have to assume the yeast envelopes in the fridge dated from the old fridge. I sighed, proofed yeast from a freshly-opened bag of Red Star, kneaded the yeast in, corrected the flour, and put it in a Cambro in the fridge to rise. This morning it's doubled; I'm bringing it up to room temperature and then will shape and bake.

Always an adventure!

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Sour cream rolls, half with chives (salt and pepper), half without (sesame seeds)

e: No, I can't scale for beans.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

How do I cut consistent slices from a sandwich loaf?
I don't want to recommend spending quarts of money, but buy a manual bread slicer. Second-hand EVA should do you; watch Etsy and Ebay a few weeks to see what's cheap.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Misread instructions, put cookie dough in eyeball, please send help.

P.S. It was salted caramel

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

spaced ninja posted:

It’s basically this recipe https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/recipes/japanese-milk-bread-recipe but I replaced the sugar with honey and fold the butter in rather than mix it in melted. And I just dropped the dry milk completely. Don’t currently have a pullman to use so it was just baked in a standard 1lb loaf pan.

I’ve started using a tangzhong for most of my breads these days and it’s made a world of difference in both the softness and how long it will stay fresh, not that any of it lasts very long anyway.
Yeah, tangzhong is the bomb.

I usually do bread from a modified version of the "toast bread" recipe that came with my Ankarsrum , varying the flour each time. It has been rock-solid reliable, except for the times when my yeast died due to my old fridge. Original recipe This fills two of the big USA Pan Pullman loaf, with two end-to-end loaves in each one. I'm not sure of the conversion from the large Pullman pan to regular pans. I have a big enough freezer that three loaves go in the freezer, the other on the supper table. They disappear fast.

Ingredients:
500 ml buttermilk
500 ml water
3 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon active dry yeast (sorry, original recipe is sized that way, or 7g fresh yeast)
~30 grams room temperature butter
1/2 T sugar (eyeball this, on the low side)
1 1/2 T salt
1440-1560 grams flour. I generally mix half commercial bread flour, the other half some mix of whole grains: whole wheat, spelt, einkorn, whatever. A big proportion of the flour must be bread flour rather than all-purpose: that's a lot of what gives you the rise.
(Optional) 1 egg.

Warm buttermilk/water mixture to blood heat; I usually treat 80 F as fine, recipe calls for 37C/98F fresh yeast, or 41C/105F dry yeast . Proof yeast in water. The proofing actually matters here; you want the yeast to have its heels dug in.

Add butter, sugar, and salt; run the mixer a couple of times to mix these in to the liquids. Add half the flour and mix, with Danish dough whisk, mixer, or hands. Once initial batch of flour is incorporated, start adding flour, a cup or so at a time, until you have a slightly sticky dough; the dough should not be stiff, but should be much stiffer than any artisanal/high-hydration dough. Knead until dough is smooth, forms into a ball, and is only slightly tacky on the surface. Cover and rise until doubled; this usually takes 45 min for me, but it'll depend on your kitchen temperature & humidity. Recipe says 30 min- an hour. The important thing is that when you touch the surface lightly with a finger, it should dent instead of bouncing back.

Preheat oven to 225C/425F. Remove proofed dough from bowl. Divide into four. Gently form each of the four into a rectangle whose width the width of your pan. I usually take each quarter and tuck its ends and sides under it and continue until smooth. If not using a USA pan, grease the pan. Tuck bread into pans and let rise; recipe calls for 20 min, which is usually right for me. Touch top of loaf even more lightly; you're done when it doesn't bounce back or falls only a tiny bit. Start checking 5 min or so before the deadline, and keep going until the bread is fully risen. Keep an eye on it.

If you're using an egg wash, beat the egg here and brush it lightly on the top of the risen loaves. Sprinkle with your favorite seeds. I usually mix sesame and poppy.

Bake until golden brown; recipe says 30 minutes. Remove from pans and cool on wire rack.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

From Nilsson's The Nordic Baking Book, which I just got:

quote:

"The only reason I would ever bake this cake is if I had a lot of leftover egg whites. Wait, no. That's not even true. If I had leftover egg whites I would make meringue instead. The fact is I would never make this cake."
I guffawed. It's silver cake (silverkaka), a standard white sponge cake, and I agree.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by a Frisbee shape. I mean, Frisbees are round, but there's got to be more, right?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

LifeSunDeath posted:

made some bread today, it's fine but little dense. haven't made bread in long time. I'm terrible at cutting slits, I even used a scalpel and it hung up and pulled it.
Those are very pretty breads!

I'm having the same problem re slashing. I think, judging by my last loaf, that I haven't been pressing hard enough. You don't want to delicately glide across the skin, you want to press right in. The other tip is dipping your razor/lame/scalpel in water to keep the dough from sticking to the blade.

e: I note that the KA recipe you linked tells you that if your house isn't warm enough for bread to rise overnight, put the dough in your oven with the light turned on. Not much use in this LED era.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Nettle Soup posted:

In the freezer at least, it lasts basically forever. And I'm pretty sure it's good as long as you can get it to reactivate.
Never before, but in my new house I have twice had block yeast die in the freezer. We're guessing it might be the salt air (we're directly above the ocean). I've switched to the small bottles for now. You have no idea how demoralizing it is to be setting up for a day's baking and the yeast does not blow a single bubble.

And now, a wee rant. I bought Magnus Nilsson's Nordic Baking. As a travelogue, it makes wonderful reading; you learn about things like a bread made in Iceland that requires your own hot spring. All the individual breads sound great.

As a cookbook, it is written not just for the experienced baker, but for the baker who has experience making these particular breads. Today I made the rye cracker recipe. Some highlights:

1. Tells you to allow a 20 minute rise, but doesn't explain whether this means doubled, 1.5, whatever. 20 minutes in your kitchen is not 20 minutes in my kitchen.
2. Tells you to divide dough into 15-20 balls. No indication of how you choose between those numbers.
3. Tells you to roll out dough until it's "at least 8 inches in diameter". This will vary depending on the size of the dough balls. Again, no explanation of how thin it's supposed to be. I made two batches of supposed crackers that turned out to be pita. The correct answer is "as thin as possible, or at least 1/8 inch thin."
4. Tells you to bake "about five minutes". No indication on how you tell whether it's done. No "until golden brown" or "until a few bubbles are brown". Your oven is not my oven.
5. In an 8 by 10 page with three bread pictures, manages to allot fewer than two inches in diameter to each bread, each floating in a wide area of empty space. This makes it impossible to use the pictures as a gauge for "is this done yet"?
6. The recipe says this is best made in a pizza oven or a wood-fired oven. In fact, the crackers puff much, much more in a pizza oven, and the recommended alternate, baking on a hot baking sheet, works better.

I don't care to try another recipe from this book. Grrr.

first cracker on right, last one on left.

Useless photograph. The cracker I made is in this picture at the far left, or the bottom of the page if it weren't rotated..

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Sep 11, 2023

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I had to park here a moment:

What? Like, a boat?

No, a hovercraft. (okay, we're on a hill that slopes down to the beach.)

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Books On Tape posted:

Speaking of The Perfect Loaf, I made his sourdough bagel recipe last week. Maybe the best bagels I've ever had.

Those are beautiful.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

That doesn't look like it rose nearly enough (which you already mentioned). The first thing I'd do is proof my yeast and make sure it's still doing its thing. The second is be sure I was measuring by weight, not by volume.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

null_pointer posted:

I always measure as much as I can by weight. I have a sub-gram scale, so it's not an issue. I think the tangzhong might have thrown something off, or I mis-measured my liquids. My yeast is a known good, but I could have proofed it, sure.

I don't even know if it was not letting the dough rise. When I put it in my cambro container, it was less than a quart in volume. After about 90 minutes, it was a 2 quarts, but it was still incredibly solid. In order to get a fluffier texture, I probably could have let it go two or two and a half hours, easy.

As a taste update, it's fine, it's actually very light and fluffy on the inside, while having a kind of hard cracker like crust on the outside. It's not terrible. But I think I'm definitely going to just try it again, tomorrow.
Yeah, I apologize, I should have realized those were way too obvious solutions.

Sometimes bread just gonna bread. :(

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Niiiiiice.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

That's a pretty loaf. What would you prefer to look like? More holes? Coarser crumb? Higher rise? If you know what you want, it's easier to help.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

HolHorsejob posted:

How would you make cornbread for stuffing? I'm making 2 loaves, one of the table and one for stuffing, and I think I'm going to just make the same dough for both, but work the second one more so the gluten develops and it holds together better.
The kind of cornbread I make doesn't have enough gluten to shape. Furthermore, it's raised with baking powder, which means it needs to go to the over as soon as possible.

Are you making a yeast-raised cornbread? If not, the techniques you list won't work.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Lawnie posted:

Posting on a whim while making pork stock and rendering lard: anyone have recommendations for a nice lame? My wife bought a really lovely one a few years ago, and a new, actually nice one would make a good stocking stuffer. Hoping to spend around $20 on one with replaceable blades if that’s reasonable.
I have trouble using pen-style lames, so I bought this circular one from Etsy. It's pretty and it works. They have a lot of different styles, and I chose the simplest. Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/SunkiCraft

This is held together by a brass screw and socket, and it's easy to swap out the blade. You can also choose to store it with the blade retracted; I bought a pouch instead.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Xpost from General Questions thread.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

We're giving boxes of three home-made crackers for Christmas. King Arthur's sesame crackers, King Arthur rye crackers, and ??. I was planning on making Chetna Makan's cumin masala crackers, but it turns out they require a different masala than my usual, requiring two ingredients I'm having to mail-order and won't be here on time. (Very rural area, no, I can't go to my local Indian market).

Can y'all suggest any homemade crackers you've liked? The simpler the better; my two attempts at Knekkebrød were disastrous. I'll be rolling anything thin out in the pasta machine, because I haven't been successful rolling a scant 1/8" by hand. I don't have a sourdough going, so anything based on sourdough discard is out.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Mr. Squishy posted:

What's the cause of and solution to the bread tearing as it rises? I score it but it does some extracurricular tearing.
Score deeper and longer? The bread is telling you it didn't have room for expansion.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Mr. Squishy posted:

My Dutch oven is ceramic, I'm always a bit worried it will crack if l let it heat up before putting ice on it
I've had good results in a Romertopf without any steam source other than soaking the lid beforehand.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Mauser posted:

help my kitchen is 57 degrees and it takes forever for my bread to rise :(

Put a cup full of water in the microwave. Boil it. Quickly open the door, put your bread in, and close it. Instant proofing box. (of course, we have a big microwave, like they used to was.)

Two weeks ago I made rye crackers that I wasn't impressed with. However, they rose.Yesterday I decided to make the dough for a different kind of cracker. The yeast was dead. A-loving-gain. Not just the jarred yeast opened this summer, but a sealed packet that expired in 2025. When I say "dead", I mean "put it in warm liquid and not a single bubble rose". Not slow-rising, but rather not even able to make CO2.

This has happened to me before with bulk Red Star yeast and with another baker's brand I forget. This has happened to me both with yeast in the fridge and yeast in the freezer. I tested the fridge yesterday, and it was 41F, right in the zone. Four times in the last two years I have pulled the yeast out and found it dead. My husband jokes that I have a black yeast thumb.

Does anybody have suggestions on how to coddle my next batch of yeast?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

null_pointer posted:

Don't get yeast packets. Get a big fuckin' brick of SAF red, put it in a airtight container, and stick it in the fridge. This is what I do and it lasts a whole year. Towards the end of the year, I dump out whatever is left and replace it with fresh yeast. No problems so far.
That's exactly what I did, twice. It died.

effika posted:

Keep a sourdough starter and split a pound of yeast between friends so you only have a little bit to go bad? Freezing it should be fine, so should the fridge, but... Maybe not for you!

And you're adding sugar to the lukewarm water, right? I've had some yeast that's fine, it just wanted food to bubble.
I tried adding sugar to the warm milk the second time. Didn't help.

Sometimes I like to bake something that can't be done with sourdough.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

The dough doesn't rise. At all.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Actually, I live in a very moderate climate; it's cool most of the year. I am straight beside the sea, and I wondered if the salty air had an effect -- it started rusting a chrome toilet paper holder a year after we bought it -- but that doesn't apply to the packages.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Nettle Soup posted:

You're keeping it in the freezer, right, not the fridge?
I have tried both keeping it in the freezer and in the fridge. Same result.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

therattle posted:

What water are you using? Have you tried filtered or bottled?
This happens in milk as well as water.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

So, started Bon Appetit's sour cream chive rolls today. Made the tangzhong, added the eggs, added the sour cream, then started proofing a brand new packet of yeast.

I think you can all guess what happened next.

So, in desperation, I had my husband proof two ramekins of yeast, one from an open jar and one from a sealed packet. Both of them were as foamy as the birth of Aphrodite. By this time the tangzhong was a solid sheet of sludge, so I yanked it out of the mixer, wiped it off, made another tangzhong, stirred it in, and added the proofed yeast. So far, so good.

I do always test the temperature of proofing water with a pinkie. I am guessing that yeast doesn't like something about my body chemistry. No, we don't use bactericidal hand soap. In any case, husband will be proofing the yeast from here forward.

:iiam:

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

bengy81 posted:

Is there any chance you are handling anything with chlorine regularly? Is your water excessively chlorinated?

We have a well that is cleaned by UV light, so no.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

tokin opposition posted:

Who's got two thumbs and got a stand mixer for Xmas? This gal.

Anyone have a recipe or suggestions for using a stand mixer?

There are many variations on star bread, both savory and sweet. Pick one, or make up your own! It looks very showy.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Can anybody recognize a recipe? We moved, packed all our cookbooks, and haven't found all of them.

My son used to make a bread where you made the dough, put it in a skillet with olive oil an inch or so deep, let it rise overnight, then it baked in the olive oil, sizzling on the bottom and sides. We can't remember the name of the recipe or the book, and can't think of the right search terms.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Yes, but does focaccia normally rise in olive oil, as opposed to having oil poured on it after rising?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

I didn't give enough detail, and that's my fault.

This isn't a focaccia. You make a standard boule, put it in a dutch oven, pour olive oil into the dutch oven until it's 2 inches high, then leave it to rise. Once risen, it has absorbed most of the oil. Then you bake it in the dutch oven. It comes out looking like any artisan bread, a dome that is several inches high.