Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Flour water salt yeast are just bread ingredients. Those can make kneaded or no-knead doughs. No-knead recipes just use more water and much longer rest/rise times, since you get some small amount of gluten formation over time in wet enough dough.

They're talking about recipes from Ken Forkish's book

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

Toast King posted:

I'm a big fan and it's honestly the easiest possible process after literal no-knead bread, definitely no mixer required. It only needs enough hands on work to combine all the ingredients, then you're doing 2-3 sets of folding it onto itself over the next hour or so. The hands on time is low and it's not at all like traditional kneading.

I also found the higher hydration doughs surprisingly easy to work with. With wetting your hands a bit and only having to do folds it never really sticks too much and the dough gets so much more structure to it after just to 1-2 folds, so it's never hard to deal with it.

There's at least a few recipes that are same day ferment + proof, the overnight is nice for a bit of extra flavour though. I'm sure in most cases you could replace an overnight proof with a few hours at room temp and it would still work fine.

Agree with all this, I was a little disappointed that all the recipes involved hand mixing as I had just gotten a stand mixer shortly before getting the book but once you do a few, you realize it's actually very easy and the bread comes out great.

This was my first attempt - which yielded the best bread I'd made to date, and they've gotten a little better since after getting used to the process.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

spaced ninja posted:

It’s basically this recipe https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/recipes/japanese-milk-bread-recipe but I replaced the sugar with honey and fold the butter in rather than mix it in melted. And I just dropped the dry milk completely. Don’t currently have a pullman to use so it was just baked in a standard 1lb loaf pan.

I’ve started using a tangzhong for most of my breads these days and it’s made a world of difference in both the softness and how long it will stay fresh, not that any of it lasts very long anyway.

I use Chef John's recipe and it's always come out well, haven't gotten as much rise but it's very tasty

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
I'd been making single boules for the past few months and just did a double batch and forgot to double the salt, baking tonight and hoping they don't come out too bland.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Are any of you doing a cold ferment in the fridge in a banneton after final shaping? I saw that as a suggestion for making scoring easier and getting a better oven spring. I can imagine it being easier to score since I think I have more trouble the warmer my dough is.

I did this on my last batch and while they were easier to score, they did not have better oven spring in this particular case. I think I actually prefer the natural cracking in the crust over scoring, unless I'm making a fancy looking loaf as a gift.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

nwin posted:

How do I make a sourdough starter?

I had a sourdough starter a while ago but life got in the way. I revived it a few times but it was in this bell mason jar that just looked nasty around the threads so I junked it. I think I sent away for some Oregon trail starter or something.

I’m ready to start making starter again, but I wonder if it’s possible without buying a kit/starter online.

Googling seems to say 1:1 ratio flour:water with enough of a mix to fill the bottom of a jar. Feed every 12-24 hours for the first bit.

When I feed mine, I usually transfer to a new mason jar and clean the one it came out of to be transferred back to the next time, this way the jar never really accumulates any buildup like that. I only feed mine when I think about it, not on a regular schedule or anything.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
Anyone have a babka recipe they really like?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

bolind posted:

Bonus question: I like to cover my buns with cling film dusted with flour, so they don't dry out. Problem is, it still sticks to the dough. I have some plastic proofing trays from Ooni that I've tried covering the buns with, but they're too small. Ideas?

Try spritzing water on top of the buns instead of using flour