Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

Dacap posted:

That's gorgeous and the exact kind of crumb I'd like to achieve, what's your recipe/ technique?

Thanks so much! I’ve been keeping notes and tweaking the recipe for 3+ years now, I can reliably get good results but occasionally the crumb looks extra nice.

Here is the current winter recipe (I use more water in winter bc it’s drier in the house):

Levain:

75g starter
60g AP flour
60g whole wheat flour
120g water

Let the levain rise for 9 hours

Dough:

748g bread flour
110 whole wheat flour
49g spelt flour
656g water
16g kosher salt
184g levain

Autolyse 1 hour
Add in starter, mix. Add salt, mix.
Slap and fold 5-6 times to incorporate
Place in covered bowl
Fold bread every 30 minutes, 3 times total
Proof another 7 hours on counter
Shape, place in banneton, put in plastic bag
Cold proof in fridge 16 hours

Score
Bake in Dutch oven, covered, at 475F for 20 min
Uncover, reduce heat to 425F, bake for 30 min

I hope it’s helpful!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

Xander77 posted:

What's that?

If you want to get a sourdough starter going, here is a good straight-forward guide. It seems like a lot of info but once you get the basics figured out its pretty simple.

Getting a sourdough starter established:

https://www.theperfectloaf.com/7-easy-steps-making-incredible-sourdough-starter-scratch/

Basically once it is established then you feed it - you just take a section of your starter, add some flour and water, and it is good for a week. Its your own wild yeast colony that makes really good bread.

It took me three tries to get my starter going strong, but now its a beast that has lasted since May 2019 with no issues.

Here he is:

Ishamael fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Nov 16, 2022

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Look at the ingredients and see if one of them is "cellulose".

I'm doing Ishamael's recipe for levain. I did two slap-and-folds watched a video, realized I was doing slap-and-folds wrong, then did three more slap-and-folds.

The dough is in theory ready to rise 9 hours. It looks like this.

To my eyes, there's no gluten cloak there. Is this just fine for the penultimate rise (the last one being in banneton)?

Sorry if this is an annoying question, but your phrasing made me curious.

Is that the levain? Or you mean that you mixed the levain in with the other ingredients, folded 3x over the course of 1.5 hours and then took the picture?

Just trying to figure out what we are seeing, to give the most useful advice

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

Arsenic Lupin posted:

That was the result of prepping the levain over night, letting the flour and water autolyse for an hour, adding the levain + salt, and something like fifteen slap-and-folds.

The only way I could get the thing to hold together at all was to plop it into a bowl and do Foodbod's stretch-and-fold method.

Ah then it looks fine.

The slap-and-folds are just to incorporate the levain and salt into the dough well, you then need to fold it every half hour, three times. By the end you will have a dough that holds together well, and you can let it rise another 6+ hours before shaping.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Thank you. By "fold" do you mean fold it in 3, like for laminated doughs?

I use NSEW folds for mine, where you bring the bottom up to the top, then the top down to the bottom, then each side in.

It’s a gentle fold where you basically are just folding in half, four times. But you could do a coil fold or something similar instead.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

Dacap posted:

This about 73% hydration, all hard red bread flour, 20% starter.

Did 1 lamination and 3 sets of folds. Stitched the loaf in the banneton before fridging it. Total time from mix in of starter to fridge was 7 hrs with about 13 in the fridge.

Baked in a preheated dutch oven at 500 for 30 mins and 450 on the oven rack for 20ish to finish. Spritzed the loaf with water before each baking stage and had two ice cubes in the pot for steam.

Every time I have seen hard red flour it is a whole wheat flour. Is this whole wheat? If so, it will be trickier to get a really open crumb.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

you ate my cat posted:

Can anyone recommend a good resource for real dumb guys like me to learn how to handle high hydration doughs? I've read some stuff online, try to keep my hands wet, etc, but I still end up frustrated and covered in goo. After some resting and stretch and folds it becomes manageable, so it's the initial phases that I want to improve. I'm more used to bagel and sandwich loaf doughs and don't have much trouble with them.

Goons With Spoons/ The Bread Thread - Frustrated and Covered In Goo

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

So that sounds nearly twice as long as mine is in there for - I do the first 15 minutes in a lidded Dutch oven with an ice cube, then 15 minutes with the lid off.

What is your internal temp at the end?

(For reference, I bake lid-on at 475F for 30 min, then uncovered at 425F for 20 min, and my internal temp is usually around 210-215)

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

First bread of the day is out of the oven and lookin good. Next loaf is going in - now comes the hard part, waiting for dinner...

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Are any of you doing a cold ferment in the fridge in a banneton after final shaping? I saw that as a suggestion for making scoring easier and getting a better oven spring. I can imagine it being easier to score since I think I have more trouble the warmer my dough is.

Yes I do a 16 hr cold ferment in the bannetons, wrapped in a plastic bag. Great development of flavor, and helps the loaf hold a good shape during the initial spring.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

That is a beautiful loaf and a classy presentation.

Thanks, I can't remember who i saw do it first but it seemed like a good way to document the inside and outside at the same time. Now my camera roll is full of hundreds of pics like this, because I am an exciting adult.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

Good bread this week, it is disappearing at an alarming rate. Paired it with beef bourguignon for an excellent match.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

That's a very helpful video, because my kneading technique is completely different. I've been keeping the dough contained in a bowl, since it makes cleanup easier (my countertop has a lot of stuff on it that gets stored there permanently)...and my kneading has been "squish dough, pick up, fold in half, rotate 90 degrees". From what I understand of the video, they're basically not kneading the parts of the dough that the hands directly contact, and their motions are fast and smooth, and that's why they don't have problems with stickiness. Does that sound about right?

I don't think that's something I could adapt to kneading inside of a bowl, but maybe there's something I can do with my workplace to make it easier to work in.

Knead on the countertop if you can, you want to be pressing down and pushing on a flat surface if possible. And usually since you have to flour the work surface, that flour will help to make it less sticky as you go.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

nwin posted:

How do I make a sourdough starter?

I had a sourdough starter a while ago but life got in the way. I revived it a few times but it was in this bell mason jar that just looked nasty around the threads so I junked it. I think I sent away for some Oregon trail starter or something.

I’m ready to start making starter again, but I wonder if it’s possible without buying a kit/starter online.

Googling seems to say 1:1 ratio flour:water with enough of a mix to fill the bottom of a jar. Feed every 12-24 hours for the first bit.

I followed this guide when I first started, and was finally able to get a good starter going with it. My starter just celebrated its 4th birthday, so I can vouch for its success.

https://www.theperfectloaf.com/7-easy-steps-making-incredible-sourdough-starter-scratch/

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

Books On Tape posted:

Once it's mature, if you aren't keeping it in the fridge, you really should still be feeding it every day. I swap between two jars to keep the environment clean.

I keep mine on the counter and feed it every 5-7 days without a problem. If we are going to be gone for a week or more I will put it in the fridge.

Just pour off any liquid or remove any discolored part at the top, stir it up, and start your new jar.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

Mr. Squishy posted:

My Dutch oven is ceramic, I'm always a bit worried it will crack if l let it heat up before putting ice on it

The Dutch oven has to be thoroughly preheated to work correctly, and I don’t think there’s any possible way some ice could crack it. So I say go for it.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

tuyop posted:

I think this ciabatta is my first bread with basically no recipe. I mixed the flours based on the texture and flavour I wanted (20% whole wheat, fancy), used a middle of the road formula (3% oil, 2% salt, 82% water) and only sourdough culture (20%).

I didn’t do a bassinage or biga.

It’s a bit too chewy for the meal I was planning of, uh, hamburgers but I assume that just means more oil or less kneading.

Crumb looks perfect for ciabatta! Nicely done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I think the SFAY Focaccia recipe is pretty decent.

https://www.saltfatacidheat.com/fat/ligurian-focaccia

It wouldn't swim in the oil overnight, but it does go into a hilariously well-oiled pan. Then you add more oil.

This is the recipe I have been using for a few years and it is excellent.