Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
My local upscale bakery will give anyone walking in, who brings their own container, as much sourdough as they want, at no charge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Have I mentioned that a single use scalpel is an awesome ghetto bread lamé?

I may have weird ideas about common hospital supplies because I grew up in a veterinary clinic.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
I just got a sweet rear end hipster scoring knife. Check their instagram for how they make them.

Which resulted in this:

Was a little impatient so threw it in the oven when the baking steel was not fully up to temp. Became a little denser as a result, which I actually kinda like from a taste and mouthfeel perspective.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Casu Marzu posted:

lol at ppl still calling things hipster in 2021

Hey, I’m old. You know how peoples’ brains seem to solidify at a certain age and then they’re immune to new inputs?

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
I've found it varies tons from mixer to mixer. My Varimixer will turn anything into chewing gum in five minutes. The same recipe on a KitchenAid or a Kenwood will take half an hour.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Aramoro posted:

I don't feed my starter nearly as much as folk seem to do. I keep it in the fridge and feed it the night before I make the levian. Maybe I need to be feeding it more?

Same.

It keeps fine in the fridge for up to a week.

Night before I take it out, give it 150g flour and 150g water. Next morning I take 250g of that which goes into the dough, and then I save the rest in an air tight container in the fridge for next time. Rinse, repeat.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Keetron posted:

You leave it out after feeding, I take it?

Yup, left at room temp.

Based on the high water mark, I think overnight is a little much, 6-7 hours would be ideal, but it fits my schedule better than if I start when I wake up.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
If you list the equipment you have, we can maybe guide you in the right direction.

I haven’t been without a mixer for years, but if I were, I would totally autolyse like a madman.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

slave to my cravings posted:

Slice sourdough before freezing, plastic ziplock is probably fine but it won’t be good forever. Should toast up pretty well.

This. You can even put it back together in one single bag and it'll break apart reasonably easily. My toaster has a defrost option that works well in this scenario.

I just realized my oven has a timer function, so I can now wake up to a hot oven, just chuck in the bread and be in business in half an hour.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Baked a bread

Overall I’m very happy but is there a way I can get larger and more irregular bubbles? Also, the sourness could be more pronounced.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I think my biggest problem with bread is definitely cutting slices where something doesn't go wrong.

Just like when cutting wood, let the knife do the work. Also, going from a decade old bread knife to a new, nice one is absolutely a game changer.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Anyone using baking steels?

I currently have and use a 300x400x8mm steel, but I’d like one that fills up my oven, so I’m in talks with a guy who can laser cut one to spec.

Problem is that I need to decide on 6mm vs. 8mm thickness. He recommends 6mm, says anything more is just extra preheating time with no real benefit.

In terms of mass, the new one (400x455mm) will be about a kg more steel than the old one, even at 6mm. At 8mm it’ll be a massive 11.5kg of metal.

On the third hand, the whole exercise is to be able to bake three breads instead of two...

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
I don’t have much luck with my pizzas (well they’re perfectly edible but they’re just not right) so that’s not important to me. I’m actually considering an Ooni Koda for pies.

One of the motivators for getting the bigger steel is that it can sit directly on the rails in the oven, thus freeing up a grill. The old steel would probably be sold or given away.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Goodpancakes posted:

Just make sure it isn't going to expand and get stuck in the oven if you are getting it precision cut

Precisely.

I DID think of that, but I'll be honest and say that something like that could totally be a mistake I could make.

Anyhoo, ordered in 8mm. Equivalent of USD85 shipped to my door. Will report back.

Actually, reminds me of something. I used to live in a dorm, with a communal kitchen. Which got renovated which meant new ovens. Someone saved the old baking trays, which juuust fit into the new ovens...

...when cold.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Dacap posted:

Can’t stop makin’ B R E A D C U B E S

And you absolutely shouldn’t because that looks aymayzing!

Edit: I must be pedantic and point out that what you’ve made is a B R E A D C U B O I D

bolind fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Mar 27, 2021

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Since it's yeast based, I suppose I can sneak it into this thread: I've recently been on a Belgian Waffle trip, specifically Liège waffles. Does anyone have a good recipe, preferably by weight?

I tried this one, which turned out OK, and has promise (but twelve tablespoons of melted butter, what the gently caress?), and this one, which had wayyyyy too much butter and just became gigantic butter cookies.

My Belgian colleague has promised me to bring back some OG gigantic grain pearl sugar next time he goes home to his moeder, so I can't wait for covid to end.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

mediaphage posted:

liege waffles are basically a yeasted scone or biscuit dough with some eggs. i’m not sure why you find the butter so offensive. they’re a sweet, fatty treat. you aren’t going to find a worthwhile recipe that uses any less, i can tell you that right now.

I didn't make that sufficiently clear, but for the "12 tablespoons of melted butter" it wasn't the amount, but the unit I was WTFing about. It comes to 170 grams.

mediaphage posted:

let’s start with the ones you made. in what way would you like to improve on those?

The ones I made were pretty good, I chose a stone ground flour, not whole grain, but still not a white cake flour. So a bit too whole grainy. Also, they were a bit on the dry side, but the caramelisation was great.

Boris Galerkin posted:

*recipe*

E: also the eggs should probably be brought to room temperature before you use it. Eggs aren’t typically refrigerated over there.

Thanks!

Eggs are indeed refrigerated in some parts of Europe, the only place I know of that doesn't is the UK, but there could be more.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Baking steel lands tomorrow.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Does anyone have any numbers on how much water weight a loaf loses during the bake?

If I remember I'll weigh output next time.

Edit:

bolind posted:

Baking steel lands tomorrow.

I forgot all about this. Anyone care about some pics and a writeup?

bolind fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Apr 21, 2021

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

mediaphage posted:

i have it written down somewhere, not that it helps now. but it's going to depend to some extent on the kind of bread you bake - some hang on to water more, some you cook to a higher temperature, which will drive off more water, etc.

I found a thread somewhere (will link later as I’m on phone) that had measurements in the 10-20% range.

Another interesting experiment would be to deliberately let a loaf dry out and see how much moisture is lost in the process.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Nooner posted:

I FINALLY MADE THE SOURDOUGH!!!!!!

Awesome, now on to step 2.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Dacap posted:

I have an old tilt-head kitchenaid with a “C” dough hook. I’d like to get the spiral, but it’s only for lift bowl models.

Can you post a pic of the spiral? My kitchen maid from like 2015 came with a dough hook.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Dacap posted:

I think most KAs come with the C hook, and spiral is only sold as an optional accessory. Tilt head models have a bowl that’s too shallow for them to work. My understanding is the spiral hook is kneading the dough against the bottom of the bowl, while the C hook is more against the sides of the bowl.

The one that came with mine looked like this (and sucked):

I think you guys are right, the one Dacap posted only works with the bigger model.

Also I note that KA finally got their head out of their rear end and now offers a stainless steel hook that, presumably, goes in the dishwasher. About loving time.

Many moons ago I promised to post a pic of my custom sized baking steel. Well here we go:

400x455mm. 8mm thick.

It's pretty awesome, allows me to bake three loaves at once:

As you can see, I struggle with some uneven browning/charring. Ideally they should be turned midway through, but I feel I lose a bunch of heat that way plus it's a bit of an operation.

I also made "varme hveder" which are wheat buns with cardamom, traditionally consumed the night before Store Bededag. Turned out alright. To be eaten still a bit warm with ungodly amounts of butter.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Keetron posted:

I have the same KA hook and it works okish, made pizza dough with it yesterday and I found it works better with larger amounts of dough such as 750gr flour and up. Basically bonus pizza and I am cool with that.

Ok, I need this in my life, the kardemom sounds awesome

This is the recipe I used - in moonspeak but should be decipherable with a bit of Google Translate help:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BOKY1RrGnY
(There's a recipe in the video description.)

Otherwise let me know and I'll translate.

Aramoro posted:

Does that not mess up the heat circulation in your oven?

Good question!

My bread baking setting has some, but not a ton, of circulation. For other things, I have no idea.

I could try and move it down and report back. I initially moved it up as I figured that's where the steam would be; as you can see in the bottom, I dump hot water into a tray when I put in the loaves.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Aramoro posted:

I've been thinking about getting something like this for my oven but thats my main concern, that it would mess up the baking. You were getting a little scorching, is that the loaves nearest the walls of the oven?

It’s everything that faces the back, ie where the fan is. Interestingly it’s way more pronounced at 250°C than at 240°C.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Any idea why my sourdough get these two distinct layers:

I've seen it happen a few times. Still works fine. I'm just curious.

My best guess is that I stir round and round more than up and down. I go water, starter, flour, so maybe that's it? On the other hand, it's a loving yeast infection, it's supposed to go everywhere.

Fake edit: Next time I'll make sure to mix it like crazy and report back.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
That's certainly possible!

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Tried again, this time making extra sure that things were mixed top-to-bottom instead of just stirred. Same results...

I'm wondering if it has something to do with the access to oxygen?

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
If I want my sourdough bread to be more sour, where do I tweak?

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
So it turns out that when you’re used to 22°C and everything is suddenly 30°C, everything involving sourdough suddenly moves a hell of a lot faster!

Hope things turn out edible.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

bolind posted:

So it turns out that when you’re used to 22°C and everything is suddenly 30°C, everything involving sourdough suddenly moves a hell of a lot faster!

Hope things turn out edible.

Things did turn out edible, more sour, less gluten, as is to be expected.

Pic of carnage:

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
The sourdough class I took also recommended rice flour as a non-stick agent for proofing. I've also used potato flour with good results. These days I just use whatever flour is nearest.

A question: I would like my breads to be a little more sour, but if I do a longer bulk ferment, I seem to lose gluten and oven spring is negatively affected.

If I do a 36 instead of 12 hour cold proof, I also have way less oven spring.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

KozmoNaut posted:

You can also control the activity by making your starter wetter or drier. A wet starter will have more activity and sour faster than a dry one. I keep the starter in my fridge quite dry and firm, then I take out a bit and feed it with 1:1 water:flour when I want to bake.

And to keep enough gluten after bulk fermentation and support higher hydration, I supplement my bread flour (12% protein) with vital wheat gluten flour (75% gluten) to around 16% protein, instead of buying expensive fancy Manitoba flour or something similar.

Here's my latest, I got decent ears:

Great blistering:

And the crumb is decent, but a bit uneven:

That and the cracking on the crust - even with two cuts - tells me I should probably let the bulk fermentation go for longer.

Quite tasty, too.

This is a solid post and the bread looks delish, especially those blisters!

Got a link for that vital wheat gluten stuff, or do I need to go on the dark web and buy some with some buttcoins?

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Hey, thanks! I've actually been quarter-rear end looking for liquid aminos ever since I saw some ChefSteps video like six years ago, will give it a shot.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

KozmoNaut posted:

Thanks, it's one of my best ones yet.

I bought the gluten flour from an online vegan shop, it's most commonly used to make seitan, some shops just call it seitan flour.

https://nuttyvegan.dk/vare/hvedegluten/
https://nuttyvegan.dk/vare/hvedegluten-storkoeb-glutenmel/

Get yourself some liquid aminos too, while you're at it. It's like a more umami and less salty version of soy sauce, good stuff.

https://nuttyvegan.dk/vare/liquid-aminos/

The juxtaposition of seitan/gluten flour and "gluten free!" products will always be funny to me.

I received my vegan supergluten!

I forgot to ask you how much to add? Do I just count it as 100% gluten and add so I hit desired gluten percentage numbers, or what?

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Either that or you bulk ferment too long, which promotes acid development which breaks down the gluten.

What’s your schedule like? Try to cut down on the bulk ferment and report back.

I usually do a cold proof overnight, and if I wait until the next day (ie. 24 hours more) I also get flatness.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Malefitz posted:

I burned out from baking for a while and my sourdough starter died because I didn't care for it.
God damnit...

Protip that won’t save you now: keep a container of it in the freezer, it’ll last for a loooooong time in there.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Looking good!

Autumn and colder temps have arrived, so my usual dough rose a little slower. Which actually worked wonders for crumb and taste.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

gently caress that looks good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Dem blisters…