Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
for what it’s worth i use water in all my doughs (if it’s enriched i use powdered dairy for ease of storage as we don’t buy a ton of milk) and i use the absolute hottest my tap will go, which is somewhere around 55°C. works fine, doesn’t harm the yeast at all, and it helps get the dough warmed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

redreader posted:

I think overnight is the best bet at this point. I put it in the fridge. I appreciate everyone's help!

I've gotten many a picture perfect sourdough boule before, but a perfect pain die mie still eludes me.

It's a process! I'm sure I'll get there eventually and you will too.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

I left it in the fridge overnight and it grew a little. I put it in the oven that I'd warmed up a bit then turned off and left only the light on, to 'prove' or whatever it's doing right now, since lol. I pushed my finger in to see if it sprung back and it didn't.

What's the verdict?

1: just let it prove a bit more then bake it.
2: just bake it right now
3: take it out of the pan right now and re-shape it then let it prove for a couple of hours (? or until it rises more) and then bake it.
4: put it back in the mixer and actually mix it for long enough then start from some earlier stage again.
5: something I didn't think of
6: trash it and make a new one (I have all the stuff, no big deal)

edit: right now I'm like "uhhh it can go back into the oven to prove for a bit I suppose"

edit 2: proved for an hour and then put it in. Whatever, I'll see how it turns out! Thanks for the advice again. I'll post the result later.

redreader fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Mar 6, 2021

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Not sprining back is a sign of over-proofing, iirc. I'd just bake it now, unless it's not risen at all. I'm really bad at working out the perspective, but it looks pretty good to me.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

redreader posted:

I left it in the fridge overnight and it grew a little. I put it in the oven that I'd warmed up a bit then turned off and left only the light on, to 'prove' or whatever it's doing right now, since lol. I pushed my finger in to see if it sprung back and it didn't.

What's the verdict?

1: just let it prove a bit more then bake it.
2: just bake it right now
3: take it out of the pan right now and re-shape it then let it prove for a couple of hours (? or until it rises more) and then bake it.
4: put it back in the mixer and actually mix it for long enough then start from some earlier stage again.
5: something I didn't think of
6: trash it and make a new one (I have all the stuff, no big deal)

edit: right now I'm like "uhhh it can go back into the oven to prove for a bit I suppose"

the worst that's going to happen at this point in time when you bake it is that it might not fill the pan entirely, and may or may not shrink a little as it cools. it'll probably taste great, though. the worst case scenario is that you can cut it lengthwise for toast or sandwiches

absolutely do not throw it away

fwiw my pullmans would traditionally be considered overproofed because i let them proof until pretty jiggly, but they still come out fine. not saying yours will or won't, just that it's not something i personally get super concerned with since pullmans provide a lot of structure.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
All right! It came out fine but not perfect. I think it's about 4/5ths of the height it's supposed to be, it's a finger width short at the highest point, never hit the lid. Since I went so far off-recipe I'd call this a success. In the end I put it in the fridge around 3pm or so yesterday and took it out at 8am or so today, put it in the oven with the light on to proof further for 2 hours, then took it out, turned the oven on and put it in and went back to the recipe from there.

My new toaster burned it a bit when I tried toasting it, so that sucks but hopefully I can figure it out from loving with the settings more. I had the end with butter, and a slice of toast with butter and it definitely doesn't taste as good as the no-knead recipe but I think it tastes about as good as it's supposed to taste.

I couldn't have done it without all of your help so thank you! :)

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

redreader posted:

All right! It came out fine but not perfect. I think it's about 4/5ths of the height it's supposed to be, it's a finger width short at the highest point, never hit the lid. Since I went so far off-recipe I'd call this a success. In the end I put it in the fridge around 3pm or so yesterday and took it out at 8am or so today, put it in the oven with the light on to proof further for 2 hours, then took it out, turned the oven on and put it in and went back to the recipe from there.

My new toaster burned it a bit when I tried toasting it, so that sucks but hopefully I can figure it out from loving with the settings more. I had the end with butter, and a slice of toast with butter and it definitely doesn't taste as good as the no-knead recipe but I think it tastes about as good as it's supposed to taste.

I couldn't have done it without all of your help so thank you! :)

that's great! good job, friend.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I need to completely reset this whole sourdough thing, outside of my starter. I tried The Perfect Loaf’s best sourdough recipe but I was aiming for a 75% hydration loaf but my scale fritzed and I probably got closer to 90%. I probably could have salvaged it if I was comfortable with my bulk fermentation, but I made a pancake loaf despite a ton of stretch and folds.

Anyone have a favorite basic recipe for babies?

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

Democratic Pirate posted:

I need to completely reset this whole sourdough thing, outside of my starter. I tried The Perfect Loaf’s best sourdough recipe but I was aiming for a 75% hydration loaf but my scale fritzed and I probably got closer to 90%. I probably could have salvaged it if I was comfortable with my bulk fermentation, but I made a pancake loaf despite a ton of stretch and folds.

Seems like… another recipe will still give you lots of grief if you’re using a scale that lies to you?

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Look at that grain structure

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Get a new scale first. Then try the 1-2-3 Sourdough ratio recipe! I like the no-knead version a lot. Mix & wait & bake!

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I should clarify the scale is great, but I went over the weight limit because I was using a new heavy mixing bowl + twice the normal recipe. I’ve never had an issue with the ~500g loaves I do. This time I was aiming to do some comparisons on oven temperature + baking time, but instead ended up with frisbees because they never held a shape.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Do the perfect loaf beginner sourdough recipe. It's actually really great.

blixa
Jan 9, 2006

Kein bestandteil sein
Forgot to post a pic when it was first made, but that khorasan flour was great to work with. Felt like it wasn't quite as thirsty as whole wheat and love the subtle sweetness it lent the final product. This was 20%, going to up it a little next time.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
I've got pretzel dough rising and I can't find my baking sheet anywhere(I think its at the inlaws). Can I use a pizza pan covered in parchment or I could also use my tiny baking pan that would fit maybe 2 pretzels at a time.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

bread looks baller, nice job

Guildenstern Mother posted:

I've got pretzel dough rising and I can't find my baking sheet anywhere(I think its at the inlaws). Can I use a pizza pan covered in parchment or I could also use my tiny baking pan that would fit maybe 2 pretzels at a time.

i don’t know what the difference is in your case but i’m sure it’s fine

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
I had to use both and both were totally fine. Gonna bake the baking soda next time for greater alkalinity but otherwise holy crap pretzels are easy. A few min after we ate the first ones my husband started negotiating not taking any to his parents tomorrow and keeping them all here.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Guildenstern Mother posted:

I had to use both and both were totally fine. Gonna bake the baking soda next time for greater alkalinity but otherwise holy crap pretzels are easy. A few min after we ate the first ones my husband started negotiating not taking any to his parents tomorrow and keeping them all here.

yeah tbh baking soda baths for pretzels are kinda pointless. converting it to carbonite makes a massive, massive difference

that's awesome, though, they're so much fun to make

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Had a little bit of a frustrating bread weekend. Was short of rice flour, so when I stuck my rosemary sourdough in my banneton after shaping, it immediately stuck. It's happened the last two times as well and when it tears coming out it tends to lose all volume. Was pretty furious tbh, but immediately yanked it out, stuck it in a bowl lined with parchment paper, let it reproof a bit and stuck it in the fridge.

It actually came out pretty well, considering. The crumb is tighter than I wanted but the crust and the flavor are excellent.

I've also got pain de mie working. Got a pretty decent rise from bulk ferment, but hoping all goes well after shaping too.

I do have to say after working with rye flour a lot lately, it's a joy to go back to simple AP/wheat recipes. So much wonderful gluten.

Doll House Ghost
Jun 18, 2011

Doll House Ghost posted:

I've been meaning to try this recipe from Woks of Life:

https://thewoksoflife.com/milk-bread-2/

They don't use tangzhong at all, which intrigues me. But I haven't tried it yet, so no guarantees.

Any tips on freezing bread? I usually make two sourdough loaves at the same time for convenience, and would like to freeze one of them. Slice it before feezing? Paper bag, plastic bag?

A trip report on The Woks' of Life milk bread:

feat. horny Tom of Finland potholder

The dough was mega wet even after adding some extra flour, so I didn't manage to make any knots, just plopped down some dough balls. I think I could have maybe kneaded a bit more/on higher setting, but I was distracted by football and lost my concentration. Also, my bread pan was too big.

Texture wise: Very fluffy, sweet and airy! I think when I made a dough featuring tangzhong it was more wispy-soft, now it was crumbly-soft. Nice either way!

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Square. Bread. Pretty pleased with how it turned out, even if the crumb is a little close near the bottom.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Chad Sexington posted:

Square. Bread. Pretty pleased with how it turned out, even if the crumb is a little close near the bottom.

nicely done

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

yeah that looks great

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Wrong thread

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

I think my biggest problem with bread is definitely cutting slices where something doesn't go wrong.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I think my biggest problem with bread is definitely cutting slices where something doesn't go wrong.

Something I've learned about myself is that I will always cut bread on a slant. The last slice will be a glancing blow on the heel that will have like, 30% of the expected surface.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Just like when cutting wood, let the knife do the work. Also, going from a decade old bread knife to a new, nice one is absolutely a game changer.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Someone ITT suggested using a very sharp chef's knife and that has worked pretty well for me. I think holding the bread correctly is also super key. Need to gently squeeze the crusty bits when you're slicing or they tend to tear strangely. For sandwich bread it's mostly a matter of just taking your time.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I just ordered a new bread knife, so hopefully that will help.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Also save up your bread ends and miscuts in the freezer for bread pudding/French toast casserole/strata/crumbs! Every 500g of bread in my ziplock means breakfast for dinner.

Assuming you don't just eat the evidence.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Made Serious Eats' Cream Biscuits last night: flour, cream, salt, baking powder. Super tender and delicious (not flaky though, if you want flakes you need to go with a different fat that can be folded, I imagine). Highly recommended and comes together in less time then it takes to heat the oven.

No pictures, sadly.

There was one left over which I split open this morning and fried in butter until GBD, it was even better.

Doll House Ghost
Jun 18, 2011

effika posted:

Also save up your bread ends and miscuts in the freezer for bread pudding/French toast casserole/strata/crumbs! Every 500g of bread in my ziplock means breakfast for dinner.

Assuming you don't just eat the evidence.

No! You gotta eat them as is, you get 7 sins forgiven per bread end.

That's what my grandma taught me, and I have no reason to believe it was just an excuse to get everyone eat bread ends.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
When do I put my starter into the fridge? Right now if I feed it at say 10am it's doubled up in volume around dinnertime and starts to collapse overnight. I've read that I should wait about ~2 hours after feeding (I think on The Perfect Loaf) but I don't see much, if any, activity after 2 hours. Also that same place says I should seal the jar airtight when I put it in. Don't I need to leave it loose for CO2 to escape?

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Boris Galerkin posted:

When do I put my starter into the fridge? Right now if I feed it at say 10am it's doubled up in volume around dinnertime and starts to collapse overnight. I've read that I should wait about ~2 hours after feeding (I think on The Perfect Loaf) but I don't see much, if any, activity after 2 hours. Also that same place says I should seal the jar airtight when I put it in. Don't I need to leave it loose for CO2 to escape?

I put mine in the fridge once I've seen some movement, but not so much that it's doubled/peaked. Usually that's about 3 hrs if I haven't refreshed it much. That way it has food to eat. I leave the lid a little bit loose for gas to escape, too!

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
I think just don’t stress about it much. I’ve put mine in the fridge right after feeding, also a few hours after feeding. It’s always fine when I take it out to feed it again like a week later. I just have it in a mason jar with the lid ring pretty loose.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

effika posted:

I put mine in the fridge once I've seen some movement, but not so much that it's doubled/peaked. Usually that's about 3 hrs if I haven't refreshed it much. That way it has food to eat. I leave the lid a little bit loose for gas to escape, too!

Yeah if it's already sagging back down and has barfed up some alcohol you probably waited too long. Needs stuff to munch on in the fridge.

I actually seal my mason jar and have never had problems with the CO2. Perhaps I'm scarred by my one mold invasion.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Yeah, I keep my starter in the fridge all the time. When I make a levan, I take a spoonful from the starter, and put back in some flour and water.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

My husband got me a Pullman pan for Christmas. Anybody got a favorite bread recipe for it? Normally I do (clumsy) artisan loaves.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Arsenic Lupin posted:

My husband got me a Pullman pan for Christmas. Anybody got a favorite bread recipe for it? Normally I do (clumsy) artisan loaves.

I've kept a diary of my past 10 loaves and finally landed around here (for a 13" pan):

825 g flour
24 g salt
55 g buttermilk powder (not necessary, feel free to swap in flour and then use a third to a half milk)
2 tablespoon sugar
4 tablespoon butter, warmed enough to mix in your knead
510 g hot water (or some milk)
2.5 teaspoons yeast, proofed for 5-10 minutes in warm water

After your yeast is proofed, mix everything up and hand knead until it comes together, 8-12 minutes. You'll likely be super sticky and slack, so add in more flour by the tablespoon JUST until you get a nice tacky but not loose dough ball. This is a little bit by feel, but you'll figure it out.

Wipe your dough down in a teaspoon of oil and let sit until doubles, pack it in the greased pullman (you'll knock some of the rise out, but don't go overboard handling here, just move it and shape it by hand) and let it rise until about an inch from the rim. Bake at 350 for 1 hour (or until 190 degrees inside, but an hour is about right).

BUT definitely keep a diary of what you do and how it turned out. Notes for what to try next time. You're going to not get it exactly right on the 1st try, but you're 5th try will be a lot closer if you take notes.

(Or, if you do get it right on the first try, won't it be nice to have it written down?)

Huxley fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Mar 9, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Huxley posted:

I've kept a diary of my past 10 loaves and finally landed around here (for a 13" pan):

825 g flour
24 g salt
55 g buttermilk powder (not necessary, feel free to swap in flour and then use a third to a half milk)
2 tablespoon sugar
4 tablespoon butter, warmed enough to mix in your knead
510 g hot water (or some milk)
2.5 teaspoons yeast, proofed for 5-10 minutes in warm water

After your yeast is proofed, mix everything up and hand knead until it comes together, 8-12 minutes. You'll likely be super sticky and slack, so add in more flour by the tablespoon JUST until you get a nice tacky but not loose dough ball. This is a little bit by feel, but you'll figure it out.

Wipe your dough down in a teaspoon of oil and let sit until doubles, pack it in the greased pullman (you'll knock some of the rise out, but don't go overboard handling here, just move it and shape it by hand) and let it rise until about an inch from the rim. Bake at 350 for 1 hour (or until 190 degrees inside, but an hour is about right).

BUT definitely keep a diary of what you do and how it turned out. Notes for what to try next time. You're going to not get it exactly right on the 1st try, but you're 5th try will be a lot closer if you take notes.

(Or, if you do get it right on the first try, won't it be nice to have it written down?)

this is pretty close to mine but i hit 67% hydration and have an egg in there.

i often do an autolyze, too