Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Unique little snowflake that I am I've got a sourdough starter on the go. Started 50/50 bread flour and water, 100g each. Day two saw some bubbles, topped up about 50g each. Today I've seen the level go up maybe an inch over the morning, and fed with 25g each. I've not discarded any yet, definitely will but I'm aware of the quantity I'll need for loaves, and also that we've not seen flour in stores for a while. Is it okay to retain this much whilst feeding?

I'm pleased with progress so far, very noticeable rise this morning and it started to smell like weird yoghurt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Staryberry posted:

After four weeks of babying, my sourdough starter has finally started to double! Any recommendations for a recipe for baby’s first sourdough bread recipe?

Does it mean anything if mine is doubling after a couple of days? I'm only using bread flour, but it already smells pretty strong.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

The Walrus posted:

from my limited current experience that's an initial rise from bad bacteria, it'll smell really bad and then die down and then you enter the waiting phase

How bad? I was going to fry the discard in the morning.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

I slung a bunch of it and did a small feed of about 25g each flour and water, about 5 hours later I think it's almost doubled. It smells similar to yesterday but not so strong. I mean to do another small feed, probably without a discard, tonight, sound right?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

BizarroAzrael posted:

I slung a bunch of it and did a small feed of about 25g each flour and water, about 5 hours later I think it's almost doubled. It smells similar to yesterday but not so strong. I mean to do another small feed, probably without a discard, tonight, sound right?

Followup - it's now more than doubled in size about 7 hours later, don't think it's going back down yet. Smells bad-ish, bit sour, only slightly yeasty. I've moved it away from the radiator now but I don't think it was too warm. Wish I had a better frame of reference.

Should I discard at every feeding? I was going to just do it in the morning.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

How much starter should I be maintaining? Everyone seems to say begin with 100g flour and 100g water, and either keep at that level or maybe a small increase by feeding without discarding on the first day. But I wanted a simple loaf recipe for my first and found this one which calls for 300g starter. definitely more than I see being talked about for actually making the starter, but I realize it's quite possible to increase your starter quickly. Is it just a case of discarding 200g-ish and feed that up to 300g the previous night or something?

Also: Most recipes seem to make two loaves, there's no reason I couldn't just halve the quantities right?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

I think I've figured things out with my sourdough starter, the smell is like acetone, which I gather means it fine but underfed? I've done a bigger discard and gone 50g each of mature starter, flour and water. Hopefully will be ready to make a loaf at the weekend.

Edit: I don't think we have exactly a dutch oven but we do have some heavy Le Creuset lidded dishes that look much the same. Would it be better to use one of those or do it on a baking sheet with a tray of ice cubes underneath?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

I think I put a little too much water into my starter, like 2-3g, and there's a little liquid on top now. Can I just ignore that until the evening feed?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

I'm hoping to do a sourdough loaf tomorrow, but what does it mean that my starter passed the float test at the morning feeding but not in the evening?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

I've started on my first loaf; this recipe from the BBC at half quantity:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/how_to_make_sourdough_08213

As a ball of dough it looks right, but after 20 minutes of kneading I'm not really getting the windowpane effect. I can stretch it and get some spots of light through but it tears before it's like a clear sheet, and it's not completely smooth as I do that.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

So here it is, didn't rise much and came out pretty dense and heavy. Crust is good though.

Is the starter just not active enough?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Mr. Squishy posted:

I've started baking bread in dutch oven. It's about as wide as the bread form I use and about half a foot high. The problem being that every time I have to drop the dough into a red-hot pot from a fair height, and normally it hits the sides on the way down. Am I going about this the wrong way, or using the wrong tool entirely?

Not done it myself yet, but I think you can lower it in on parchment paper.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

BizarroAzrael posted:

So here it is, didn't rise much and came out pretty dense and heavy. Crust is good though.

Is the starter just not active enough?

Selfquoting into the new page, if anyone has any ideas what happened I'd really appreciate advice for another crack.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

yoshesque posted:

If you can tell us what you did it would help diagnose what went wrong, but it looks like your starter didn’t do anything. The hole there is probably due to your shaping rather than any yeast.

Starter was made with bread flour, past it's date but I don't think there's a problem with it. Fed it morning and evening, 12 hour intervals. I think I was initially underfeeding it by leaving too much mature starter, indicated by an acetone smell, but I think I got that corrected, although it now doesn't seem to bubble as much, very fine bubbles in there now.

Previous night I upped the quantities in my feeding, like 60g each flour, water, mature starter. I think British tap water is fine, but I used boiled and cooled to warm.

Otherwise I followed the BBC recipe except half quantity without splitting it into two loaves. Was two 2.5 hour proves, so something should have happened in that time right?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

My starter doesn't seem to rise any more, and smells pretty bad. Only a handful of bubbles too,bwhat could have gone wrong? I'll do a 1/1/1 feeding and try to monitor over the day.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Cyrano4747 posted:

Does the thread have a go to recipient for sourdough discard pizza crust?

Yeah, me. Send them to me.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Is there a smell associated with *over*feeding sourdough starter? Maybe the lack of activity I'm seeing is that? Should I put off feeding until it expands and starts to contract? Will it definitely rise after a big feed with enough time? I'm might not be quite warm enough at night.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

I can't believe how much trouble I'm having with starter.

I made a smaller starter to keep separately, but it developed dark speaks on top, mold? Heres a picture, it's been disturbed by me pouring some out. It smells more like I'd expect than the inactive on in the kitchen though.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

dedian posted:

eh yeah that doesn't look great :( When I first got mine going I put in some.. pineapple juice I think it was? Basically something a little acidic to help the good guys win over the bad guys while it was getting going. I think it was a technique from BBA: https://peterreinhart.typepad.com/peter_reinhart/2006/07/sourdough_start.html

I actually just scooped off the dark stuff along with my discard, cleaned the tub, fed it and maybe 6 hours later now it's grown a quarter, maybe a third, no issue with the look or smell, so that's encouraging.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Wish I was loving allowed a working starter

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

I think my starter smells like mashed banana with a bit of sourness, does that tell us anything? Still not rising and no change for days with regular feeding.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

I've been doing 1/1/1 strictly since a couple of days in. I don't know the exact temperature, the weather has changed a lot, it's probably been below 20 degrees C mostly but if it gets warmer it will spend most of the day around there.

I tried keeping some behind my PC for warmth but it looks like it made some of it set.

You say one feeding a day and just a stir 12 hours later?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

One of my starters has those black specks on again, so here's s picture. I only started it yesterday, and kept it in a box on my PC for warmth. It's the same place and container as last time it happened, I think I messed that up getting it too hot, went very runny. It had the right smell and after I scoped off the dark stuff it rose for a bit, as much success as I've seen for weeks.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Sealed plastic tub with clips, I gather that by opening it twice a day it gets to breath enough. Between the tub and the box it's in I don't think it's at any increased risk of contaminants.

And in the UK my kitchen is probably colder than that.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Much more successful sourdough boule than last time, although greaseproof paper is not a substitute for baking parchment and some stuck to the bottom. Link to a gallery of progress on the image. Makes a great pastrami sandwich.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Done sourdough a couple of times now, with this recipe;
https://hostessatheart.com/sourdough-bread-recipe/

It's a starter recipe, what would make things more advanced. Can I just autolyse the water and floor for this one for a few hours? Or is that redundant here with the long proof?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Yesterday's sourdough. Pleased with it, went for a longer loaf for more even sized slices instead of a boule. Wonder if I can get it to rise more?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

I've got my sourdough starter out of the fridge and fed it before bed, as I did last week. I expect it will have shrunk back by morning. Last time I fed it again but I'm going to leave it and see if it deepens the flavour when I make the overnight dough in the evening.

Will that improve the rise? Anything else I can do? I was going to dampen the top inside the Dutch oven.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

cheese eats mouse posted:

Sourdough babka recipe from the perfect loaf. Partner has asked for a chocolate one next time.

This is my second enriched dough and first time rolling dough. Next time I'll be less fiddly with the dough so I can roll tighter. I was taking too long and it got too warm so I rushed the roll up. Did an 18hr ferment and I think I can taste the difference. It's like I put sour cream in the mix. Very good with my coffee this AM. :)

Also finally got some yeast so can finally play with yeasted mixes, but I feel like I'll be more bored. Fermenting is so much more interesting.

I'm doing the overnight proof on this right now.

UK goons- do you use US recipes and find following US recipes seems to result in over hydrated dough? The sourdough loaf comes out fine but seems very sticky going in, and the Babka isn't as solid as I would imaging given I'll be rolling it out tomorrow. Do UK flours maybe want less water? I found I had to hydrate my starter less to get it going, it's maybe 2:1-ish flour and water.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

I keep my starter in the fridge during the week, get it out and feed it Thursday night and start dough for overnight proof on Friday. Are you using starter straight from the fridge? When do you feed it prior?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Which recipe is that from, looks great! Does it freeze okay?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

I made the Perfect Loaf babka dough last night and gave it the cold overnight proof. I've decided to put off the bake until Tuesday when we need it, will it be okay in the fridge until then? It's pretty firm and I'm going to roll it out so I don't think there's anything to lose?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

I've been feeding my sourdough starter with plain/all-purpose flour but just got some rye flour. Can I/should I just switch to that for feedings? Does there need to be a transition?

And I believe when I make bread I should combine rye and bread flour rather than rye exclusively?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Qubee posted:

I've got a sourdough starter up and running, is it meant to smell like uncanny valley yoghurt and a slight hint of vinegar? I also woke up this morning to feed it and noticed a little bit of fuzzy mould near the opening of the jar, so I wiped it off with a clean finger and then scraped off the underlying black mould. Am I good to keep using this starter or will I die of bubonic plague or botulism. I think the mould grew there cause a bit of starter had touched the top and then been left.

Don't feel I'm much on an authority, was the mold just on the rim, not the starter itself? I'd say be wary at least, but might be okay if it's just on what's collection on the rim of the jar.

I got some rye flour so did my first loaf using it. Just swapped 20% of the bread flour for it, and added some to my starter earlier in the day. It's definitely my best yet, much more of the depth of flavour I associate with sourdough. I think the hydration was a little low so I'll bump that up next time. Does 20% rye and 80% bread flour sound right?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

I fancy making sourdough bagels, anyone have a good recipe?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Made sourdough for the first time in my new place, without since of what I'm used to using.

Nice crust but tasted a tad burned on top, but the bottom didn't cook right. I put it on a cold tray with a silicon liner which seems to have insolated it a bit, it developed a sort of extra ear around the base where the crust rise and seperated from the bottom.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

redreader posted:

Here's my starter, should I add some water? looks really dry.
https://i.imgur.com/sVcA2EM.mp4

Are you maybe doing it 1:1 by mass? It should be 1:1 by weight.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Made sourdough burger buns to mix things up:
https://www.baking-sense.com/2020/04/21/sourdough-hamburger-buns/

I think I need to flatten them a bit more, they felt a bit heavy in the middle but will see what happens next time, really happy with the fresh on I just had, will see how well they keep, drop a couple in the freezer.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Whenever I need to make a boule or similar, say for bread or pizza dough, I try to do the instructed am make a taught ball by tucking the dough under itself, which I gather is meant to make it keep it's near spherical shape. But mine always flatten out, is this an issue with the dough itself or my technique?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

effika posted:

My sourdough starter, Samwise Gamgee, turned 2 today!

This time last year I was feeding it by flashlight in the aftermath of an ice storm and didn't get to bake anything celebratory. Luckily this year we had good weather!

To mark the occasion, we made my favorite bread, whole wheat and rye sourdough pizza. (Also added what's probably my last basil harvest.)

(Non-dairy pizza is more like bread with sauce and stuff, but we want to feel like we're eating pizza anyway so we call it that. When I can I add the little mozzarella pearls for cheese and it's even better.)

Pre-lockdown? You're saying you did it before it was cool.

I'm about to make sourdough pizza dough again, and I want to go over a few things as I find it's often quite difficult or coax it our into a good size round without tearing or something. I use the Perfect Loaf recipe, which says it should make 2 12" pizzas. My cast iron pan is more like 10" inches and I can't seem to make it meet the edge all the way around.

I'm in the UK so maybe our flour is different, I use Allinson's bread floor mostly. Maybe increase the hydration a bit?

I'm also probably going to look at stones. Is there's much in it between a pizza stone or cooking on cast iron? I do feel the cast iron pan makes moving the pizza around a lot easier