Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

KingEup posted:

So given the choice between a product that is grown in stable soil conditions, treated for mold spore and then placed in airtight packaging with an expiration date people would prefer to buy their gear without these things to save a few bob?

I think its a cost thing. Understand that the underground market has been around long enough, and people being able to get decent enough stuff without a regulatory body in place, that most smokers aren't really concerned about these quality assurance matters (even if they rationally ought to be anyway). Unless the quality was superior (which it very well might be), given the high quality of stuff available on the underground market, people would go to whatever is cheaper while still satisfying (satisficing?) their needs. If people could get away with selling it illegally for cheaper despite a taxed, regulated legal regime, they'd do so and probably have no trouble finding buyers.

This is of course all hypothetical. I tend to think that even taxed and regulated, a commercial product would bring the price down enough to eliminate an underground market for all except for the most exceptional home grown and boutique stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

Loving Life Partner posted:

I think once you get above jobs with close customer contact and safety concerns, the amount of drug testing drops off.

Although our chairperson is a huge bud proponent, so that helps :420:

I got tested pushing carts at a Home Depot. I did not get tested to teach highschool or work with peoples' social security information.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

Vira posted:

So has there been any reports of increased road patrols or road side stops by neighboring states at the borders? I'm kind of curious to see what direction other states decide to take.

When I was driving back to Texas through New Mexico on I-25 and there was an undercover interceptor who was pulling people over right on the other side of the NM border. Made that drive several times and its the first I've ever seen that. Before driving home I did some news searching, and the only stories I found were about the Wyoming Highway Patrol twittering not to bring legal weed into their state, and one about Kansas saying they were keeping an eye out for anyone bringing weed into their state.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

Mrit posted:

If you want to smoke pot on your off hours, get a non-governmental job in an IT-related field. Half my co-workers smoke and openly talk about it, no one cares.

Neither of my government jobs ever tested, and one involved teaching in a public school. I only ever got tested for minimum wage retail jobs, like pushing grocery carts. Drug testing is mostly just a tool to mess with the lower class and low wage work.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

WampaLord posted:

Sorry about the "you don't know poo poo about weed" comment, but I still think the black market in CO will die out as retail operations expand. Also, people can start growing their own, so the supply is definitely going to go up one way or another.

Just based off of my buddies in the area who have dealt on and off and moved to Colorado, there isn't a lot of money in selling weed. A lot of people have switched to making and selling oil and concentrates, which has seen a surge in demand for better quality stuff, but still has a shakier supply than flower.

To an extent, the supply will level out. A bunch of licensed grow operations weren't allowed to plant until January 1st, so once we start seeing their rotation of crops coming to market that should alleviate some of the demand. Additionally, at some point a lot of the native Coloradans who want to keep buying weed but didn't have one yet will get a medical card, since there are a ton of dispensaries that won't go through the licensing process to sell to the public, and because they aren't experiencing the ridiculous lines. Its the out of staters who may feel supply crunches, but if you haven't made a friend in Colorado who can track down a roomie or neighbor with a card... you really ought to. Lovely people, those Coloradans.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

I think a question that remains is whether they'll boost supply enough for the price to ever fall any, or if it'll hold steady either due to slow increase in taxes or just sticky prices in general. After years of shopping around in Austin, the price I was able to get on 1/1/14 was only ~$5.00 worse for a quarter of flower that was way better than anything I'd ever been able to find at that price point. I'm not complaining, but surely that price can come down. The person in line near me that seemed the most up-to-date on his info seemed convinced that suppliers will never feel any pressure to lower prices, but I feel like over time, onerous or not, more people will go through the process of obtaining retail licenses and competition has to kick in at some point.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

Zwabu posted:

So did medical marijuana basically disappear overnight in CO and WA? Did those dispensaries just increase inventory and retool as regular pot stores?

No, most of the dispensaries didn't go though the process of retail licensing. So in Denver most of the dispensaries were actually for people with medical card only, and so they didn't experience lines or congestion really. Some smaller markets had some medical but no retail dispensaries. They're still on the same business model supplied by the same medical growers. Over time you might start seeing more and more go retail, but at that point retail supply will probably be established and it won't matter much.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

Then brother, I don't wanna be cleansed

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

Warchicken posted:

For whatever it's worth, I've been in co since Friday for unrelated reasons and personally I've never had a harder time fining weed than in Denver ... Every medical shop is mislabeled recreational but when you get there they are hostile and rude and won't even talk to you without seeing your rec card, and if you do find a recreational shop it's hours are not listed, incorrect or they are simply out of pot. Seems like it is going to take a long time before this poo poo actually works on any meaningful level to me.

When I was there I just downloaded the WeedMaps app and it did a pretty good job of showing which places were recreational vs not, and whether or not they were in stock. Just driving around and looking would probably be pretty hit or miss.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

goodness posted:

What is the average price of an eighth from a medical store then?

This is a dispensary out in Oakland but their prices were similar to what I was seeing in the recreational stores in Oakland. There is also this app, weedmaps, which will have the menus of dispensaries on it, normally with prices. Basically though for just an eighth it'll range between $30-$45.

Big difference is those California prices include taxes I think, and the Colorado ones don't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

No one is impressed with your lovely concern trolling.

• Locked thread