Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
potato of destiny
Aug 21, 2005

Yeah, welcome to the club, pal.
One thing that occurred to me in regards to the SCOTUS thing is the prospect of one or more of the states that border Colorado suing after we replace Mexico as the weed capital of North America. If you look at a map, we have some of the most indefensible borders of pretty much anywhere, and it'd probably be cheaper and easier for illegal drug sellers in other states to smuggle across the Colorado border than the Mexican one.

As for the what happens if we pass it question? I, for one, think all hell will break loose. Whether it breaks loose quickly or more slowly depends on what the federal reaction to it is; quickly if the DEA or US Attorney's office decides to "take a stand" and crack down, slower if they take a wait and see approach, or if there's an executive order saying "hands off unless it's clearly going interstate", or what have you. One interesting thing I've noticed here is while there's been a certain amount of bluster from the feds toward the medical marijuana shops (mostly sending threatening letters to shops that they felt were too close to schools), the actual enforcement has seemed remarkably lax; there doesn't seem to have been much actual enforcement, just :words: (I think there was a grow op busted sometime last year, but that's the only one I recall hearing about). Meanwhile, there are stores up and down South Broadway with neon pot leaves in their windows, and I'm getting ads stuck in my door for MMJ at about the same rate as chinese takeout menus, and there are guys out on the street spinning signs advertising sale prices on eighths. It's hilarious.

For the record, I do plan on voting for this, just because I think it's long past time to actually force some hell to break loose on this particular issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

potato of destiny
Aug 21, 2005

Yeah, welcome to the club, pal.

Powercrazy posted:

You don't understand the purpose of prescription drugs, Or you are a libertarian who thinks that drug regulations are unnecessary.

Prescription drug abuse is a huge issue, and by wantonly abusing the system you are actively harming people.

If weed were a placebo the issue would be equally valid.

As others have pointed out, MMJ really doesn't have anything to do with prescription drugs at all. You can't be "prescribed" marijuana under federal law (which governs all prescription medications) because it's a schedule 1 substance which by definition does not have any legit medical uses (which is obviously crap, but that's what the law is right now).

So, you get a "recommendation" from a "practitioner". This is legal because free speech, and a "recommendation" doesn't carry any legal weight under federal prescription drug regulations. The practitioner specifically does not need to be an MD. Once you have that, you go to the marijuana store and buy some. The marijunana store is not a pharmacy and they can't sell any medications other than weed. So there's really no danger here of someone going to a dredlocked holistic care provider and getting a scrip for Oxycontin or something.

Mind you, this is all completely separate from the question of whether MMJ is a stalking horse for marijuana legalization, which it absolutely is, and which I have no problems with. Or, for that matter, whether an increased availability of certain prescription drugs might lead to reduced abuse of more dangerous, but easier to obtain alternatives. Meth springs to mind.

Edit: I think the most :psyduck: thing I've seen so far is this page on the Denver Government website, which helpfully lists all the businesses selling weed now, and includes a helpful map.

potato of destiny fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Jan 1, 2014

• Locked thread