Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tobeannouncd
Oct 2, 2011

The tiger took my family
I didn't really like the catch-up they did with Hero Academia. Even though it's covering only 27 chapters, I still feel almost completely lost, especially since the current chapter is part of a typical shounen tournament arc. Unless I go back and read the earlier chapters, I'll have no sense of context.

Gakkyu Hotei is already starting to feel boring. Abaku is the only interesting character, but the only interesting parts about him are his shady past and his cleverness (and cleverness gets old really quickly).

Nisekoi actually started to have plot again, which is nice for a change.

Kagamigami seems kinda interesting. I guest I'll wait and see how the rest of the jump start goes.

Is Seraph any good now? I thought it was cancelled a while ago because of the hiatuses, so I forgot about it around 15 chapters ago...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tobeannouncd
Oct 2, 2011

The tiger took my family
Black Clover is my top pick for the jump starts. It's an extremely stereotypical battle shonen, but I'm finding it incredibly entertaining. I'm just afraid that the gag of "protagonist can't use magic while all his peers can" will get old.

Cyborg Roggy and Kagamigami are kinda tied for me. I liked the first chapter of Kagamigami, but it's gone downhill IMO. I agree that Roggy feels similar to Hi-Fi Cluster, and I'm still sad that Hi-Fi ended.

Also, it's nice to see some good plot progression. Food Wars is moving along nicely, we got a new chapter of OPM, and One Piece had Zoro being badass.

Nisekoi lost just about all of it's momentum, though.

tobeannouncd
Oct 2, 2011

The tiger took my family
I dunno. The story for Ultra Battle Satellite was solid enough, but I couldn't stand the art style.

tobeannouncd
Oct 2, 2011

The tiger took my family
New WSJ out today.

UBS is starting to show some more promise, but I'm still not sold on the artwork. Cyborg Roggy has one hell of a cliffhanger, but the chapter as a whole introduced way too much stuff to comprehend.

Also, I'm finally starting to get into My Hero Academia. I still haven't read the first 30 chapters or so, but it's starting to come together.

tobeannouncd
Oct 2, 2011

The tiger took my family

Allarion posted:

I dunno if this is supposed to be the final case or not, since it doesn't feel like one yet.
Obata brought out fanservice this chapter, so I'm guessing there's still a chance for it to continue.

tobeannouncd
Oct 2, 2011

The tiger took my family

Skychrono posted:

Elementary school girls do not look like that!

Then you definitely won't like this week's chapter.

tobeannouncd
Oct 2, 2011

The tiger took my family

Skychrono posted:

(Double post)

Wooooooooo the best manga won the competition.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2015-03-30/viz-shonen-jump-adds-yuki-tabata-black-clover-fantasy-manga-to-regular-line-up/.86536

edit: Chapter 4 is in the next issue (#19), 5, 6, and 7 are in #20, and 8, 9, and 10 will be in the following issue.
Awwwwwwwwwww yissssssss.

Also, new issue is up. I had a feeling that total internal reflection was used for the goldfish trick.

tobeannouncd
Oct 2, 2011

The tiger took my family
New issue is up.

Obata's at it again with a sexy sixth-grade version of Franziska Von Karma. I've seen quite a bit of fanservice before, but this is starting to creep me out.

Also, Black Clover is back!!!! I'm starting to feel a Fairy Tale vibe from it, though, so perhaps it wasn't the best choice...

tobeannouncd
Oct 2, 2011

The tiger took my family
New issue day.

Black Clover should now be caught up with Japan (I think). My excitement for it is diminishing as it's brought out my least favorite shonen trope of new powers coming out of nowhere during a dire situation.

Also, more morally questionable fanservice in Gakkyu Hotei.

tobeannouncd
Oct 2, 2011

The tiger took my family

Skychrono posted:

Unless I missed a week, next week will also have three chapters (like this one). Then we'll be caught up.

Ah, I was just guessing based on the progress of the terrible scanlations.

tobeannouncd
Oct 2, 2011

The tiger took my family
The thing I don't like about guilds in manga is the division of character development. It feels like the mangaka is saying "if you don't like my protagonist, here are a bunch of other crazy characters for you to fanboy/fangirl over." There are exceptions, of course (UQ Holder is doing a great job with developing Touta), and I think it's too early to tell how Black Clover will progress.

tobeannouncd
Oct 2, 2011

The tiger took my family
Since there isn't a Black Clover thread (frankly, it's too early for one), here's chapter 8. The scanlation is pretty tolerable to read compared to the earlier chapters.

tobeannouncd
Oct 2, 2011

The tiger took my family
New issue is up.

It looks like Gakkyu Hotei is in its death throes, as it seems like we'll find out who the red ogre is in the next few chapters.

Also, I guess Black Clover is finally caught up (for real this time). I'm still going to stick with it for a while. There seems to be potential for some good world-building.

tobeannouncd
Oct 2, 2011

The tiger took my family
New issue day. Not much to say about it. Gakkyu Hotei is building toward its climax very quickly, Black Clover was incredibly meh, and the exciting chapters for the other manga have their own threads.

tobeannouncd
Oct 2, 2011

The tiger took my family

Gyges posted:

Out of curiosity, are there any plans to ever give a reader option that doesn't suck? The web browser thing is tedious as gently caress to use when it comes to smaller panels, even when it's in full screen. Just a basic pdf format where you scroll up and down would be better half the time.

At least it's better than their iOS app. I'm guessing that it may have something to do with analytics/preventing piracy (lol). I've dealt with quite a few protected PDFs, and it can be a major headache getting that to work properly.

tobeannouncd
Oct 2, 2011

The tiger took my family

Another Poster posted:

Yeah the iOS app especially for the iPad is great. The flash reader sucks hard.
The iOS app is absolutely horrible if you don't have a lot of storage space. There's no automatic storage management, and at least 1/4 of my downloads fail on my iPad 3, even though I know I have enough free space.

tobeannouncd
Oct 2, 2011

The tiger took my family
New issue is up.

The new jump start is Straighten Up! Welcome to Shika High's Competitive Dance Club. I'm a sucker for nontraditional 'sports' manga. It might make for an interesting addition to the WSJ lineup.

The new Gakkyu Hotei chapter is listed as the last chapter. That was quite a rushed 'ending'. I'm guessing the cliffhanger is to convince readers to start reading on Jump+. I'm not sure if Viz will continue with it, though.

tobeannouncd
Oct 2, 2011

The tiger took my family
Yeah, but considering it literally says "final chapter" and there's no indication of a continuation, I'm pretty sure that it's over in English WSJ.

tobeannouncd
Oct 2, 2011

The tiger took my family
The new issue is up.

Black Clover is continuing with the world building from last chapter, which I'm pretty excited about.

I'm really digging Straighten Up. It seems to be following the standard coming of age/sports/slice of life manga formula, but it's cute and it doesn't look like it'll go way over the top (like pretty much everything else in Jump right now).

Also, the cover this week is fantastic, IMO.

tobeannouncd
Oct 2, 2011

The tiger took my family

Waffleman_ posted:

Devilyman reminds me a bit of Death Note if it were a comedy. Which I like. I also hope Straighten Up sticks around, it's adorable as hell.

I totally agree about Devilyman, but it's just not hitting the right notes for me. I'll have to see what chapters 2 and 3 come up with.

Straighten Up has been a pure joy to read. I really hope it stays.

tobeannouncd
Oct 2, 2011

The tiger took my family
Devilyman had a fantastic third chapter. I think that I like it better than Straighten Up, but I think that Jump could use something like Straighten Up more than it could use Devilyman.

tobeannouncd
Oct 2, 2011

The tiger took my family
New issue is out. There's a one shot of Folie À Deux. It seems pretty cool to me.

tobeannouncd
Oct 2, 2011

The tiger took my family

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

The cast was amusing enough, and in sports manga I tend to see "genius" more than "loser with redeeming quality."
And then there are manga like Slam Dunk where the loser with redeeming quality thinks of himself as a genius.

I thought Mononofu was pretty good. I still wish that Straighten Up got picked up by Viz.

tobeannouncd
Oct 2, 2011

The tiger took my family
New issue is up along with chapter 1 of Samon the Summoner and chapter 2 of Mononofu. I really dislike the characters in Samon. The narrator's okay, but the protagonist is just terrible. I could do with a lot more of Mononofu, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tobeannouncd
Oct 2, 2011

The tiger took my family

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

By Protagonist do you mean Samon or Teshigawara?

Yeah, I meant Samon. This type of writing where the narrating character isn't the protagonist reminds me a bit of Fairy Tail's Lucy and Natsu, and I really disliked Lucy. Perhaps that is what is annoying me about this manga.

• Locked thread