Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!
For the truly obsessed, you can also find him on Pixiv (sparsely updated, beware of nudies, but hey some cool fanart) or twitter (Japanese only, not the most exciting feed but pretty regular)
I told him one time that a bunch of foreigners liked his comics and he said thanks for reading :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!
Chapter 6 of Spirit Circle:

DDL/Read Online
I was about six pages in when a kind stranger sent me bigger and better raws, so things are a little messy but I decided to push this out as-is after sitting on it so long. I'll go back and fix stuff up soon.

TL sperging:
Fuuta's buddy Tetsu is written with kanji for "iron," whereas Stihl is literally Steel in the original. Decided no loving way I'm committing that to page, but Glass passes my standards. Go figure! If you didn't spot him, Cielo is also Mr. Azuma, Fuuta's teacher, Azuma being spelled as "My/Our+Wife". Hence, Cielo does the chores :v:

Story stuff: The whole windup about how much he hates these guys leading to the thank-you.. what a gut punch.:swoon:
Hoping he gets to find some retribution raising the kid, and REALLY hoping he gets to go down in a blaze of glory ruining the day of whoever comes after it.

Edit: vvv yup, they are. Take a look at the shot of them on the bench outside and compare it to the one from chapter 4. Stihl's name has an obvious connection, too, but I couldn't puzzle out Glass.

Epoxy Bulletin fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Nov 16, 2012

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!
Spirit Circle chapter 7: DDL/Read Online

I was pretty happy with the characters and the writing being pretty smart in this so far but they're really playing up the NOT ACTUALLY A WITCH thing as a big shocker. Vann was convinced she was the real deal up to the end and I can buy that, but even Fuuta seems a put off balance by the twist.

I can honestly say I didn't expect Vann to go so peacefully, though.

Satoshi Mizukami General Thread: Dad Appreciation Station

Epoxy Bulletin fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Dec 19, 2012

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!

Munin posted:

It isn't really a twist though. Personally I interpreted the last panel as Fuuta going "WTF?" since he can't remember the dream. He can't recall her be she witch or medicine woman.

In any case to me the witch thing is very much supposed to be a analog to the first situation where Fuuta is now the one who killed due to the social and authority structures around him. Societally he was no more wrong to kill that witch than Kouko's past self was wrong to sacrifice the love of Fone's life.

I had a different read on it, whether or not it came across. I'm 99% certain Fuuta lies to Rune when he said he didn't remember the dream. He didn't have much trouble recalling Fone's life, after all. I think he just didn't want to bring it up to her.
I'm interested to find out how much about the whole reincarnation business she actually knows about (assuming East has the benefit of Kouko sharing her info).. For instance, why pick that specific song and dress to goof around in just before Fuuta was sent back to Vann's life?

I wonder if we're starting to see kind of a generational approach to character development between each life, alongside the obvious parallels.. Fone starts off driven by a need to protect Rei, the general sentiment of which Vann inherits. He also ends up with a healthy dose of regrets and tortured emotions (both Fone's desire for revenge on Priestess Kouko as well as his own frustration at having his dream job taken away), but has the good fortune to continue his life beyond that crossroads and grow as a person. I hope we'll continue to see what mistakes each life made that correct themselves in the next, until we arrive at Fuuta, which explains why he's such a nice guy! It also sets us up nicely for poo poo to get real since Fortuna would really have to be a fucker to land seven lifetimes of bad karma :v:

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!

Munin posted:

The "The who..?" stinger at the end makes me think otherwise. We'll probably know by the next one anyway.

Welllll that was my fault then. (tl stuff:)There's nothing specific about the last line, it's an "e" in Japanese; the animu equivalent of "DUU-UUUH???" You may know it from other manga as "huh?" It's a very specific sort of utterance that just plain doesn't translate well so I go ahead and butcher them whenever I see them. I read the intent of the line as "she was a what" or maybe "what medicine woman", so I tried to render that in as few words as possible. Guess it didn't work v:shobon:v

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!

Nate RFB posted:

Actually Kouko will probably be pretty irritated since Vann by pretty much any account led a modestly happy life.

Yup :v:
Spirit Circle 8: Read Online/DDL

So obviously Kouko's still got enough vitriol to go around, but I think she's starting to direct it towards Fuuta personally less. Even if she's not concious of the fact, she's seeing just how hard he takes some of these more unpleasant revelations. I wonder if she's that much more hardened because she's unlocked more memories, or if he's just a nice guy :v:
I'm hoping we get a chapter that focuses on Rune and East. I think they must know more than they let on, and it'll probably give us some hints on what Fortuna got up to. Barring that, I'll take Finn the plucky and intrepid 1920's big city newspaper reporter, please oh please oh please

As far as the reincarnation business goes, I keep an eye out in new chapters for that specifically, and I've come to the conclusion that if Mizukami bothered to draw their whole face (eyeballs get left off a lot of the crowd), they'll probably be back. There's the easy ones that get spelled out for you again in this chapter, but I think I've spotted a few more. Have fun guessing HOOHOOHOO

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!
Spirit Circle chapter 9: Read Online / DDL

Well uh, that's some mood whiplash for you.

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!

scaterry posted:

is...is that last page a double double spread?
only brogun :allears:

Magical :allears:

And not to steal the Sengoku Youko thunder, but while the conversation's fresh.. Biscuit Hammer is also my favorite Mizu-manga by a fair stretch so far (hopefully spirit circle has legs to it yet)

What I really like about Mizukami is how many shonen genre conventions he tosses together into a setting and plot, but writes all of his characters so real and down-to-earth that their actions and motivations tend to subvert the cliches. Then, when everyone IS ready to own up and throw down, it feels more meaningful because we usually know why they're resorting to brawling, instead of fights being a forgone conclusion of Truth, Justice, and the Nipponian Way. If we didn't have the focus on Brogun hanging out learning to fly and talking Whitey down, and it was instead "yeah lemme polish my fifty swords, did I mention I kick super rear end?" for a few chapters, we'd go to "oh man FINALLY! this fight's gonna be cool" instead of "holy poo poo this is happening". Not that that's a bad thing, but we have Toriko and Jojo threads already :v:

Bisuit Hammer is great for this because there's a very diverse cast that gave the series a lot of personalities to explore and play against eachother, and the variety of powers that come into play (on both sides!) keep battles pretty fresh if somehow none of the characters are doing it for you. I haven't reread it for a while, so I can't speak reliably to the low points (it sounds like some of you guys are getting stuck), but I remember it as being a hell of a ride.

I'm glad you guys are liking Spirit Circle, of course, and I like it too, but I'm kind of surprised that anyone would prefer it to Biscuit at this point. Fuuta's likable enough, but kind of bland as protagonists go. The past lives have some great dialog, because he has a lot more interplay with other characters there, but in present day I'd like the poor bastard to have a sounding board besides the airhead(or is she?), the stonewall(or is she??), and.. himself(OR IS HE???). And while it is a pretty novel setup, I'm itching for more plot and it feels like it's being drug out a bit. I'm probably being harsh, though, considering we're not ten chapters in v:v:v

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!
New Spirit Circle: Read Online / DDL

Loving Kouko working her arms on the controller before she tosses the first one.
I actually noticed the fire thing last chapter, and assumed that's the reason Kouko changed her tune all of a sudden, but was hoping someone else would call it out :saddowns:. I was looking forwards to some more pasts from her perspective, but maybe that'll have to wait. Or maybe she's just tsundere :getin:

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!

Munin posted:

One thing I like is how Fuuta seems to have stopped covering up his scar.
Well, he's been at home the last few chapters, so he might not have changed his mind on that point. I DO notice, however, that it's much more faded compared to Vann (understandably) and now Flors. maybe evidence of being absolved by degrees through multiple pasts? Might be a chance for him and kouko yet, if not in this life then maybe the next?

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!
If a tree falls in the forest, is it still a double post a month later? Spirit Circle chapter 11: Read Online / DDL

Cannot WAIT to see how this goes horribly wrong

Epoxy Bulletin fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Apr 12, 2013

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!
I asked him one time if we were cool and he said he's just glad people get to read it, scanlation or not :unsmith:

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!
I'll peg it at about a week out. Optimistically. I also invite harassment and inquiries at ye olde blogge, should anyone wish to avoid a thread bump.

Epoxy Bulletin fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Nov 27, 2016

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!
Or maybe I'll just do it all in a bender: Spirit Circle 12, Read Online / DDL

I like how the relationship kind of came to mirror the last chapter between Kouko and Fuuta. I guess we'll find out what Lihanerra learned in the next chapter, I'm guessing it's some news that'll send Flors racing back to Sphinxville, ending in tragedy no doubt :v:

Another hint to Fortuna's misdeeds as well. I guess he sunk atlantis? Oops!

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!
Grab your hankies because we're wrapping up another flashback in Spirit Circle: Read Chapter 13 Online / DDL
It doesn't really matter, and it's never mentioned in-comic, but Mizukami said on twitter that Flors lives in Greece, for anyone who's curious.

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!
I debated doing this one but didn't think anyone would actually want to see it! I'm away from the computer and can whip up a proper script later but the gist of it is they are just gossiping about the tortoise and the hare having a race. A little bizarre since they chat amiably without acknowledging any of the action between them (also karate kick out of nowhere). I think Mizukami said its from a failed pitch for a series.

Epoxy Bulletin fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Jul 21, 2013

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!
^I'm still going to come back to this one since you asked nicely, but for now here's Spirit Circle 14: Read Online / DDL

Motion to enter goondad into anime dad hall of fame

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!

Level Slide posted:

Don't recognize the lady that Kouko briefly turned into, though.

That would be the "witch" that Vann iced, under pretty similar circumstances to Alvol and company, it turns out.
Think it's tough keeping track now? Four more to go! :buddy:

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!

Why study, when all you need is Spirit Circle 15: Read Online / DDL

We also have today, from the acclaimed creator of lovely Dog Comix: lovely Bear and lovely Fox

Apparently, Mizukami was inspired by another (kid-centric, it appears) magazine's "How To Draw Manga!" episode. The script was provided, with the idea that you draw your own layout and pictures. You can see a few of the entries if you page through this. I kind of doubt this is what they had in mind :v:

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!
I've just posted four new chapters of Sanjin Sadou, picking up where the previous group left off and rounding out volume one. I believe this is Mizukami's first serialized work, dating from 2002-03ish, and frankly? I'd saw it shows. While the dialogue and character writing still has some of what we like about Mizukami manga these days, the action composition, plot, and scenario and such are pretty cliche so far!

But then again on the other hand Add that page to the op thanks

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!

And he's far from the only one! Besides the main crew, which get pretty obvious callouts, just about anytime Mizukami bothers to draw a complete face (a lot of bystanders are missing features), you can be pretty sure you'll see it again if you look carefully. For instance: the samurai ghost, Stona's father, and Vann's superior (the skinny one) all share a certain resemblance :ssh:

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!
Spirit Circle 17 is up: Read Online / DDL

We haven't had any other recurring antagonists show up yet besides Kouko, and it turned out she had a pretty good reason (based on what we now know), so I'm curious to see if Kajirou will A: make another appearance (He was probably also Vann's brother, for instance), and B: Have any further reveals or developments that explain his actions? He could always just be straight up nuts, since he has an obvious complex regarding being born the younger brother.

Also kind of wondering if present-day Fuuta will also turn out to be adopted, considering how many of his past lives have had problems with their birth family, then been taken in/nurtured by Dad Prime in some way.

Epoxy Bulletin fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Dec 2, 2013

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!

Einander posted:

My running theory is that Fuuta's brother is Spascifica in his own reincarnation cycle. Of course, we don't know anything about him either (other than "Give me the Spirit Circle" and Fortuna's "Oh, you should know that one" back in Flors 1) so that doesn't actually explain very much right now. :v:

That's a good one, actually. I was thinking of Rei, but I formulated that one before Jinkurou became a recurring role. We didn't much of him to go on from Vann's time, so I didn't really expect to see him again :v:

Seven Seas recently gave a date for Biscuit Hammer (press release, via tumblr):

quote:

Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer (Story & art by Satoshi Mizukami)

Nothing short of a full-burst, energetic and mesmerizing experience, Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer, from author and artist Satoshi Mizukami, is likely the best manga you’ve never read! Combining the stylized action and over-the-top fight scenes of a hot-blooded shonen series like Bleach, with an emotionally gripping and character-driven seinen storyline like Berserk, Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer is one of the most hotly-anticipated manga to arrive on this side of the Pacific.

Whether it is the high-octane action, the GAINAX callouts and references, or the intricate and graphic storytelling, Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer is a manga not to be ignored. Tread carefully, for the Hammer is nigh!

Everything about college student Amamiya Yuuhi is average: grades, looks and his blasé outlook on life. So what happens when he awakens one day to a talking lizard, who informs him that there is a gigantic hammer in outer space, poised to split the Earth into pieces, and requests his allegiance in the fight against the forces of evil? Pretend it never happened! Unfortunately for Yuuhi, a little bit of coercion in the form of a super-powered princess prevents him from returning to his mediocre life-as-usual.

In the adventure of his lifetime, Yuuhi will join forces with the unpredictable princess and seek out a motley crew of companions to fight back against an evil mage and his horrifyingly powerful homunculus before the Biscuit Hammer destroys the planet!

Lucifer and Biscuit Hammer will be released in 2-in-1 omnibus format starting in Fall 2014, with the first omnibus being released in November 2014, and the second omnibus following in February 2015.

Something to look forwards to for next christmas :haw:

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!
Spirit Circle 18 is up, I suggest you strap yourself down somewhere safe where you can fistpump and "GOT DAAAAM" in peace because we've got some powerful pages: Read Online / DDL

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!

booksnake posted:

I think I need something cleared up for me, though. Have we seen... uh, the priest's disciple in Vann's time elsewhere? He's pretty clearly a person of interest but he doesn't have the same distinctiveness I get from the others, probably because he doesn't remind me of anyone from Biscuit Hammer.

If you mean Cielo, he's Fuuta's teacher (and I suspect one of the pyramid guards during Fone's attack, based solely on his hair and falling on his rear end) Don't think I've spotted him anywhere else.

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!
hi hello, its me im the slow idiot: Here's Spirit Circle 19, enjoy having no more holes!

I announced it pretty much everywhere else so I'll say it real quick here: I know CR has had some ups and downs when it comes to TL quality, so I plan to keep a close eye on this for a few chapters to see if I agree with their accuracy and style. If I don't like it, I'll keep going, but it definitely won't be as fast. If they have it under control, I'll just refocus on the older Mizukami stuff I have squirreled away instead!

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!

Squidster posted:

According to the product page, it'll be released as two omnibuses in November this year.

That's actually only the first omni, comprising volumes 1-2. Second omni was dated for the following February, and that's all we got so far.

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!
Should be five books with the format they announced. Would be nice if
we can get them less than two months apart each time but I guess that's comic books for you.

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!

Munin posted:

On a different note. I wonder if his "crime" in this reality will be the shutting down of the tower releasing all the "trapped" spirits within so the cycle of re-incarnation can continue and the balance between the living and the "dead get restored. Lapis not taking it very well. Either that or Lapis doing the same but in that case Fortuna's reference to a "rehash" which is "close" to something he did which Kouko considers a crime or great sin would make little sense.

It could still work if Lapis causes something big, since it could mirror (ho ho ho ) what Fortuna may have done. That would certainly serve as Fuuta's hint why Koko hates his guts still.

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!
And here's a oneshot from Mizukami's 3rd volume of misc works (the "Tanpenshuu" series): http://www.batoto.net/comic/_/comics/wani-onii-san-r11617

onii-san :kimchi:

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!

a kitten posted:

It really should say something about how the Princess has other plans, or how Yuuhi wants to let someone else deal with the whole end of the world thing; some sort of hint about how it actually goes down would have been nice.

I think it looks alright, but I doubt it would get me to grab it off a shelf if I didn't already know about it.

Do you know where that image came from? I only see the front page on their website, and the summary reads a little different (they added a few lines about just that):

quote:

Everything about college student Amamiya Yuuhi is average: grades, looks and his blasé outlook on life. So what happens when he awakens one day to a talking lizard, who informs him that there is a gigantic hammer in outer space, poised to split the Earth into pieces, and requests his allegiance in the fight against the forces of evil? Pretend it never happened! Unfortunately for Yuuhi, a little bit of coercion in the form of a super-powered princess prevents him from returning to his mediocre life-as-usual.

In the adventure of his lifetime, Yuuhi will join forces with the unpredictable princess and seek out a motley crew of companions to fight back against an evil mage and his horrifyingly powerful homunculus before the Biscuit Hammer destroys the planet!

Hopefully they manage to fit the extra bits on the cover because they're really leaving out a distinguishing point that might attract more interest otherwise

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!

Nate RFB posted:

Most characters with a face have appeared elsewhere; anyone familiar in this new group?

I think just about all the recurring cast has popped up once already this arc, these all look new to me

Edit: just saw some photos of the physical books on the Seven Seas tumblr, truncated synopsis for the back cover, as seen upthread, is confirmed :sigh:

Epoxy Bulletin fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Oct 13, 2014

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!

a kitten posted:

The last one is the cover for the newest Young King Ours.

Hopefully that means we get more color pages this month

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!
I knew this was gonna have to get outed to Kouko and Nono around the same time, but I didn't really expect it to come up until they made a little more progress on the Fortuna mystery! I was curious if Rune acted purely out of concern for Fuuta (at the end of 29) or if Fortuna left her with instructions to this effect after their meeting in the Lafaelle jump, and was really hoping to get some hints on that, but gently caress it I'm down for this

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!

Miles Vorkosigan posted:

I always get confused about who's who in Spirit Circle due to the monthly update, so I figured it might be useful to have a character cheat sheet around. Let me know if there are any errors!

Based entirely on one glimpse of the shape of his head, as well as him landing on his rear end as Fone charges through, my pet theory is Mr Azuma is the ziggurat guard paired with past-Tetsu.

There's also these guys who have been of no consequence so far, but I'm pretty sure have been reused so they're on my list, because why not:

"Ponytail", characterized by a ponytail (not 100% on this one)

"Red-Nose" is usually seen with his trademark red nose, but hallmarks also include a wispy mustache and droopy mouth. This additional depth to his personality makes him a more compelling character.

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!

Cake Attack posted:

yeah it seems to be coming to a conclusion, although i'm not sure it's quite the final arc yet since he's still got one life before fortuna

There's still dealing with the Spacifica mystery too, and his phone call from chapter one is probably gonna put the death duel on hold (probably his mom going into labor, idk what impact that will have on him and Kouko's business though)

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!
I just put up the second half of Sanjin Sadou, Mizukami's first published work. Pretty typical antihero shonen, all told, but with a pretty remarkably clumsy rushed "oh poo poo they're cutting me off" ending. Interesting to see how many concepts are reused in his other work, really seems to speak to all the stuff he liked and wanted to explore and didn't get a chance to.

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!
I can almost guarantee someone probably ripped the chapters from CR and put em up elsewhere, so whatever you do please please do not just start googling

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!
Hahaha now we're talking

Spirit Circle 32 on Crunchyroll :getin:

I like that we get a few more details teased about Fortuna. Sounds like he's playing the long game, hanging out outside of causality (?) peeping at his reincarnations and pulling their strings when he can, waiting for an opportunity and/or gathering mojo so he can pull off some kind of big play.

Epoxy Bulletin fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Feb 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!
Kind of spergy but this is driving me insane and I must ensure safe delivery of puns: "Syowa era" is a misreading on CR's part (CUALITY™) of "Showa era". Showa was the period lasting 1926-1989 by the traditional Japanese calendar, the fictional year of "showa 91" would fall in 2017.
Showa is usually spelled with characters for "shining" and "peace", but Fuuko's *~shifted reality~* uses a phonetically identical spelling with slightly different characters meaning "shining" and "ring". Seen anything that matches that description before? :v:

ps lmao at leaving in a "(?)" from the rough draft and just slapping a bracket around the alien-language lines instead of actually trying to be interesting (were hand lettered and then crossed out in the original)