Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NiknudStunod
May 2, 2009
When I play undead I prefer zombie over skeleton. For what I use them for (line fodder, fouls)they just seem to get injured much less.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NiknudStunod
May 2, 2009
I have been playing in the orca cola cup league now for about a year and a half and after losing almost my entire skaven team this season I will be switching to a new Khemri team for next season. The last time I played Khemri it was for four nine game seasons. I had leveled up 5 TGs in that time to level 3+ and not one got block and I just couldn't compete with the other high tv teams that had block. In fact the 1 death I had was from a both down. I guess my question is should I fire a TG if he hits a certain level and bring in a new one to try and get block?

NiknudStunod
May 2, 2009
I think I completely agree with you. The lack of block on my TGs was the end of that team.

NiknudStunod
May 2, 2009

Iretep posted:

I usually get the slowest to level players first. In chorfs case it'd be the dwarfs and mino. The centaurs will usually be my ball carriers so they will level fast so they are bought last. I try to start out with 3 rerolls whenever possible because they become more expencive after team creation. Apo is usually the first thing to buy either during or after team creation. For chorfs the apo isn't that important but still better to get early as a safety. Also keep in mind the minotaur is compleatly optional and a funhaver choice.

Chaos dwarfs have both tackle and block so they should be leveling on par with the rest of your team. You are going to have a huge advantage playing against those skill team that have dodge. That being said the most important thing you want to get when creating Chaos dwarf team is rerolls. These are super expensive for chaos dwarfs after the season starts. Since you are a bashing team you are going to run into double skulls a lot. I would say 3 rerolls is a good jumping off point. The apothecary is fairly important as well. You have the advantage of a high av on your dwarfs but you are still going to protect them from some lovely injury that drops your strength or kills them outright. The hobgoblins are cannon fodder and should be used as such. If you get a +ag chance for one of your dwarfs take it and make him your ball carrier. It may take him a little longer to reach the end zone but you can only move as fast as your cage moves.

NiknudStunod
May 2, 2009

GNU Order posted:

Giant Goon League is the league most of us have our teams, but nobody idles in Cyanide looking for pickup matches. If you're looking for matches you should go to the IRC channel, #tgbloodbowl on SynIRC. If you mention you're a newbie you can probably find an opponent who's willing to help you out or give advice

Our last goon bowl ended about 4 or 5 months ago as well. I think the lack of a new league admin is the only thing holding up another season.

NiknudStunod
May 2, 2009
There are actually a lot of organized leagues out there. I like the orca cola league. They separate divisions by your tv score so you are going to be playing against teams that have around the same spp as you.

NiknudStunod
May 2, 2009

ZigZag posted:

Orca cola (OCC) is imo the best run league there is and i've played in it for around 8 seasons now. as long as you can manage a game a week its the best choice i think. But division are not seperated by TV, you get promoted or relegated based on your placement, so there can be a huge tv diffrence between teams in a division. I spent 2 seasons in div 2 and 1 with a TV 1200 undead team against teams with an average of 2400 TV.

I have been promoted based on my tv in occ. Just a FYI the signups for next season should be starting soon.

NiknudStunod
May 2, 2009

ZigZag posted:

i guess double promotions happens once in a while but there is no intention anywhere to match teams on tv and if you look at the divisions you can see that there is a huge TV diffrence between teams even in the lower tiers.

For me it was my 1800 tv khemri team getting moved to the next division even though I had a mediocre season. I agree with you that how you complete a season plays the biggest role on being promoted. I think they also take into consideration teams that may not win as many games but are still strong. I know my khemri team had like a 0-8-1 season and still got promoted. I killed like 7 people on other teams that season.

NiknudStunod
May 2, 2009

SynthOrange posted:

I know Guard would be the better first pick for my tomb guardians, but gently caress it, YOU'RE ALL GETTING MIGHTY BLOW.

I would give 2 mighty blow and 2 guard. If they level up again and don't get doubles I would give the two with mighty blow break tackle. Other then that always take block if you ever get doubles.

NiknudStunod
May 2, 2009

vulturesrow posted:

Is single player ok for learning the game or should I just jump in to MP? Thinking about trying out the Snotling Soda Championship but I want to have some sort of grasp on the game before I jump in.

You can do both. The SSC will not start for a few weeks so you can sign up for it. In the mean time play some single player to learn the basics.

NiknudStunod
May 2, 2009
Signups for Season 24 closes August 13th 1600 GMT.

OCC will accept applications for all 23 races.

Ingame Name:
Race:
Team Name:
Timezone:

Please fill in your timezone using GMT + or -. Doing it in any other format means your application might be ignored.

http://www.orca-cola.com/beta/index.php/topic/18819-occ-signups-for-s24/

For any one that is interested you have a couple more days to sign up.

Doubles are always dodge/block or if you are lucky 6+6 strength. Both dodge and block reduce the chance of injury by reducing the chance you get knocked to the pitch. I am also a fan of dirty player as well. You may not get spp for a injury caused by a foul but taking out key players is sometimes easier when you have 4 or 5 players stomping on them.

NiknudStunod fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Aug 11, 2014

NiknudStunod
May 2, 2009
I would suggest some goblin fodder with dirty player on them. you can use them to tie up the other players defense and to foul near the end of your turn. If he gets thrown off the pitch it doesn't matter much in the long run. You can also put diving catch on them and go for some hail mary passes if you are really desperate.

NiknudStunod
May 2, 2009

What it requires is sacking your players when they hit level 3 and don't get a + agi roll.

NiknudStunod
May 2, 2009
If you are going to use the ogre on your line of scrimmage make sure he is the last move you are going to make that turn and only use him if you have to. I have rolled bonehead/wild animal so many times it hurts my brain to think about it.

NiknudStunod
May 2, 2009

Yorkshire Tea posted:

So I've actually started playing online. The first match was my orcs vs. A goon which was a lot of fun. I then tried random matchmaking. My rookie wood elf team got matched with a 1500 TV dark elf team that was a man down so they could squeeze extra TV onto their players. Man had me beat since all his positionals also had blodge and sidestep. He's in scoring position on turn six of the first half and decided to stall to try and injure my positionals.

It's okay to call him a dick and rq right?

What did you spend the 500k in inducements on?

NiknudStunod
May 2, 2009
I would of taken Halfling chef/wizard/babe or just Morg n Thorg.

NiknudStunod
May 2, 2009

Captain Oblivious posted:

I like punching people in the mouth. I like Tomb Kings and am new to this game. How do I get the most out of my spooky scary skellingtons with my level ups?

I'm guessing Tackle and Dodge for my Blitz-Ras if possible, Block/Guard for my Tomb Guardians, but what else? I'm at a loss on what to do with my Throw-Ras. Should I seriously bother to get Catch on anybody given the poo poo AGI all around? I put Leader on the only Throw-Ra to level so far.

Speaking from experience the biggest draw back for Khemri is the lack of movement. Tomb Guardians are probably the best big guys in this game and you get 4 of them to make up for a fairly unimpressive rest of your team. Unless you roll doubles for them the first two skills you want on them is guard and mighty blow. I will usually give 2 mighty blow and 2 guard and then swap for level 2. Now doubles is always going to be block even if it is double 6's (+strength).

For your Blitz-Ra's you want tackle and mighty blow. Always take a +str roll if you get it on these guys. The + movement is also useful since it helps with what Khemri is weakest at.

Your Throw-Ra's should be renamed to Run-Ra's because you should never throw with them since there is no one to throw too. Block is pretty important on them since these guys are going to be the guys that pick up the ball. I like kick-off return on these guys because once again movement is at a premium for this team so any closer you can get to the ball the better your starting position will be. If you ever roll doubles I would take dodge. I would also take any stat gain that I rolled. Agi will help you pick up the ball and str makes it harder for the enemy to tackle you specially if you are in a cage surrounded by Guard Tomb Guardians. Movement is not as important since you can only move as fast as the rest of your team. Very rarely will you send your Throw-Ra forward ahead of the cage. Now I know I said you don't want to throw the ball there is a exception. I like to put dump-off on my Throw-Ra's so if my cage is broken and my ball carrier is about to be tackled with a blitz I can pray that I get lucky with pass to any other player on my team.

Skeletons are cheap fodder with low armor so they will get injured a lot. You don't want to invest a lot into them but that being said they will level up since your team is mostly made out of these guys and they will get your mvp a lot. Any that get a +stat take it and use it to the fullest other then that get dirty player on 2 or 3 skeletons and block on the rest.

Finally remember you are a bashing team so just because you have knocked everyone to the pitch does not mean you are done. Use dirty play to it fullest by gang fouling your opponents. The fewer players they have on the pitch the easier it is for you to march down field and score. Also don't look a gift horse in the mouth, if your opponent kicks the ball out of play don't give the ball to your Throw-ra or Blitz-Ra give it to a Tomb Guardian.

NiknudStunod fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Aug 16, 2014

NiknudStunod
May 2, 2009

RabidWeasel posted:

Skaven are just furry elves with more disposable linemen :v:

that also have access to claw.

NiknudStunod
May 2, 2009
The OCC http://www.orca-cola.com/beta/index.php/page/index.html is probably the best run league out there. They have awards from the best in your division to how many successful fouls you have committed for the season. The only drawback is you need to play 1 game a week and a lot of their players are on gmt time.

Most of these guys are pretty flexible on time.

NiknudStunod
May 2, 2009

GNU Order posted:

T16 fouling is great because if the person gets mad, you made somebody get mad over a video game. If they don't get mad then you've found a cool person

I also foul whenever I can but I only play in tournament leagues.

NiknudStunod
May 2, 2009

Captain Oblivious posted:

Take a swing at a goblin ball and chain with one dice. Score a Defender Down, and get a dead goblin.

Oh Tomb Guardians you never let me down :unsmith:

Wait for your first time when you fail a regeneration roll and the only tomb guardian you had that rolled block dies. The only time I almost cried in blood bowl. gently caress you decay.

NiknudStunod fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Aug 17, 2014

NiknudStunod
May 2, 2009

GNU Order posted:

What the hell is this?

what am I supposed to do with a defensive setup like this?

A: Fireball :getin:

Last time I used fireball it was targeting 4 of his players and my 1 player. Needless to say his guys avoided it while mine took it to the face and broke his neck.

NiknudStunod
May 2, 2009
Sinful Slaves of Slaanesh - Chaos -
Smoked Skulls - Chaos Dwarf -
Craufurd Marauders - Norse -
The Hungry Swedes - Halfling -
Pustules and Polyps - Nurgle -
Badrukk'z Bukkaneerz - Orc -
Heralds of Nonsense Kings - Khemri -
Blood Dragon Warriors - Vampire -
Bloody Oath - Vampire -

These are the teams I will be facing this season with my new Khemri team.

NiknudStunod
May 2, 2009

JT Jag posted:

Trolls are one of the best big guys if properly utilized though, they have regen so you don't have to worry about getting them killed so much and if you keep teammates around them they make great blockers. If you play them badly they're a great way to gently caress up a strategy though because they'll go stupid and make a giant hole in your defense right at the worst time.

The only time you take a troll is when you are playing a goblin team. The best big guy that has a negative trait is the Bloodthirster. The stats amazing (ma6 st5 ag1 av9) that also comes with horns, claw, frenzy, juggernaut and regeneration ( I think these are it's starting skills). Once you level up you take break tackle and there is almost no cage safe from you. Take Mighty blow at level 2 and you will be a spp machine.

NiknudStunod
May 2, 2009

Fat Samurai posted:

Moving from a well developed (TV 1800) Chaos team to a brand new Khemri team is painful. It didn't help that I threw about 10 2db blocks without a single downed player.

I have no idea on how to defend with these guys. Any tips?

I have played a lot of khemri over the last 2 years and the only advice I can give you is get the other teams players off the pitch. If this is just a short term team I would say get mighty blow on all of your TGs before guard. Might blow will speed up your tgs development faster then anything else. Take block whenever you roll a double even before mighty blow. Get dirty player on a couple of skeletons and use them to foul. I have dirty player and sneaky git on a skeleton on my practice team and he takes people off the pitch more then my tgs do. If they do get the ball past you and you can't stop them don't try to. At this point you want to focus on fouling them and making them pay. I promise you that if you have some of their star players on the ground they are not going to delay and if they do they will probably regret it. I have a few screen shots a page or 2 back that shows my khemri team fouling again and again.

NiknudStunod
May 2, 2009

Coolguye posted:

I often choose to kick regardless of the team I'm playing for this reason entirely, to be honest. It is far easier to attack with 10 (or fewer) players than it is to defend with 10 or fewer players, simply because you inherently control the action. That said, I'll often choose to receive if I'm against Dwarves (especially if the hitlers have a Deathroller) or Goblins, since hurrying a goal to get Secret Weapons kicked off is a Good Thing.

If you are playing a bash team you always want to receive. While scoring is still the main goal the way bash teams do it is much different then dodge teams. As I explained above you need to knock their players off the pitch so your cage has a easier time advancing up the field and when you receive you will get at least 4 tackle attempts with your team. The next step is to mark players with your expendable linemen, for khemri that would be skeletons. Put them in positions where they either tie up important player like black orcs/chaos warriors or are forcing dodgy players to make multiple dodges to escape.

NiknudStunod
May 2, 2009

ZigZag posted:

No! you always kick, unless the other team fields 4+ claw POMB players, you always kick as a bash team. Using 5 players for a cage severly limits the amount of damage you can dish out on offense. Kicking is a huge advantage for a bash team and should never be given away.

I disagree but then I only really play khemri and the fact that they are so slow and the lack of block is there biggest draw back. You are either going to be trying your hardest to out position them or picking yourself off the pitch.

NiknudStunod
May 2, 2009

Gabriel Pope posted:

Whatever interpretation of the rules results in more orcs dying is clearly the correct one.

The only thing I like to see more then orcs dying is dwarfs dying.

NiknudStunod
May 2, 2009

Gabriel Pope posted:

Obviously when an orc fails a GFI while blitzing a chainsaw, the goblin should get +3 on an armor roll against a random unrelated dwarf

I don't know what you are implying really. You said you like to see orcs dying and all I was saying was I like orcs dying as well almost as much as dwarfs dying.

NiknudStunod
May 2, 2009
Even with the bugs of bb1 I don't see any reason to upgrade to bb2. Are there any major rule changes to the board game that would warrant a bb2? I can not see the mechanics changing much so all we will be getting is a slightly prettier game that may have better league options with the huge downside of fewer teams?

NiknudStunod
May 2, 2009

Iretep posted:

Adding in cards and the rest of the star players would be pretty nice. Not much point to getting bb2 if neither of those are in though.

Are more star players even worth it? I also have no idea what cards do.

NiknudStunod
May 2, 2009

Jester Mcgee posted:

I am really glad to have seen the chart, because it gave me a word to describe what I am finding so neat about Chaos, "development". But are they really only as good as Vampires? I'm new to the game, but even though everything says Chaos starts off hard I am having a better time with them than I am with many other "better" teams. Is this just luck? Or perhaps that a fresh chaos team is remarkably straightforward?

Chaos starting out has the same trouble as any team without sure hands or high agility and that is just picking up the ball. The lack of starting block can also be problematic. That being said they have the least weaknesses of any team in the game. The lack of agility on skill up can be covered by Mutation with two heads and big hand. Chaos warriors have access to block, guard, claw, mighty blow and if wanted piling on. Beastmen have the same options and they can make decent ball carriers. So all in all while chaos start with no bonus skills the fact they don't need the elusive double on skill up in order to get some of the important skills they quickly catch up with the other teams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NiknudStunod
May 2, 2009
I agree with Washout. I think vamps with there high stats and gaze can do well in low to mid tier tv but once their tv starts to bloat they fall off heavily. The vamps biggest weakness is its reliance on thralls and they are being taken out on both sides of the pitch. The higher up the tv you go the easier it is to take out those thralls.

• Locked thread