Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

rscott posted:

If I had to limit myself to one car it would be an E34 540i touring. Speed, Class, and Practicality. Can't beat it.

Can't get them in a 6spd. Buy this instead:

On a serious note, is there such thing as a RWD/AWD wagon with a manual that gets decent mileage? In north america. Looking to replace my e36 coupe next year with something practical but still fun to drive. The very shortlist so far seems to be e46 325i tourings and A4 1.8Ts. Definitely working on a sub-10k budget.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

netwerk23 posted:

When I was looking for a wagon it was either the VR I found or a ForesterXT with a manual. It pretty much came down to which one I could find first.

I very strongly dislike the new Forester. Maybe it's just me

It sucks. My dad has one (upgraded from a '99 forester he had for years). The build quality is somehow still pretty bad, it sits way too high, and has AWFUL visibility. I nearly pulled out in front of a civic the first time I drove it, luckily he was in the passenger seat paying attention. It really is an SUV now.

The original forester XT is the best forester :colbert:

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
lol 30mpg on a subaru

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Kidney Stone posted:

Yep, it's manual - good advice, I'll get the workshop to check it out...

Screw that, you can test it yourself. Put it in 5th around 20-30mph (pretty much near bogging speed for 5th, 1000rpm-ish), then put the gas to the floor. If the revs and speed climb together at a glacially slow pace, the clutch is fine. If the revs spike randomly or climb fast, the clutch is toast.

Crustashio fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Nov 13, 2012

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
BMWs model dilution these days is comical. 3 series alone will have coupe, sedan, wagon, convertible, GT, and gran coupe variants. Then you also have the X3.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
My dad has a new forester (and I used to drive his old one, literally the exact same one as the post above) and it is most definitely an SUV now. Super high with terribly visibility. Old one was much easier to drive.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Confused_Donkey posted:

I uhh, kinda bought another Wagon...

1988 BMW 325i

Bought it in Germany, drove all around Europe for 2 weeks, and now its just a few days away from hitting the US shore. 25 years I waited to bring one of these back!

Should go nicely with my 1992 E34 M5 Touring.

How was the process? Did you visit germany just to buy it?

E36 wagons are legal in canada and I really want a 328i touring manual.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

BlackMK4 posted:

Oh jesus christ, now you have met looking at mods.

It's hard to find a cool, cheap wagon that's not a Volvo.

And even then the cool volvos are rare as hell. I've seen ONE 850R and it needed both a new transmission and turbo. Still wanted 3k for it. I gave up looking for wagons, everything is either way overpriced compared to the sedan counterpart (Audi/VW B5s, BMW e46s), has rust issues (Subaru I'm looking at you) or is boring and FWD. Still holding out hope that I'll find a reasonably priced Passat V6 4motion with a stick.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
poo poo, didn't realize the passat 5speeds with AWD were so rare.

I wouldn't actually mind an late model outback, but they're way out of my pricerange for a daily. I still don't trust subaru on rust, I see loving 06/07 imprezas with the rear quarter panel rust around here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

sybir posted:

Appreciate it, and yeah, it was.

More wagons!

The '97 (RIP)

One of the best looking wagons ever made. It's just so sad they are terrible rustbuckets, 90s subarus barely exist up north anymore.

• Locked thread