Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
As per request in the Alberta AI thread, here is a photo of my new V60 T5 AWD.

Featuring seamless hepatitis!

I was considering the BMW, but a) the dealers import few of them and none of the diesels, b) it was $12K more, and c) the BMW dealers in Edmonton are utter bell-ends.

I am, however, thrilled with the Volvo. It's just so well made, which is very impressive given that it came as a flat-pack and was assembled using nothing but an Allen key and some dowels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

priznat posted:

How's the handling of those V60s vs a 3 series or audi? They sure are fantastic looking wagons. Kinda wish they came with a panoramic sunroof though.
Comparable; I made a spreadsheet during my car shopping ( :spergin: ) and gave both the V60 and 3-series an 80, and the A4 a 90. Jalopnik complained about the body roll in their review but I haven't really noticed any.

If I'm being honest the A4 was probably the best drive of any car I tested, but with Volvo I could get the wagon for the price of the Audi sedan. The Volvo is actually the only wagon I tested; neither of the BMW dealerships had a wagon handy, and I'd rather have the Audi sedan than the bastardized SUV they call the Allroad.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

priznat posted:

This is the exact vehicle I learned to drive on and it was a loving tank. They do get their electrical gremlins a plenty though!

Wish Volvo made a V70 for North America, I don't really need the XC stuff and the V60 seems like it'd be a little small. 2 car seats & 2 dogs = not many options these days that aren't SUVs or minivans :(
I bought a V60 a few months ago, I don't find it small at all. Granted I have one kid and no dogs, but it carries two adults + luggage + baby crap with no problem.

I was cross-shopping with the 3-series (although it's tough to find wagons up here for some reason) and A4 (allroad :rolleyes: ) as well.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

priznat posted:

I am looking forward to checking out a V60, they're great looking cars. Enjoying it so far?

The 3 series and Allroad would also be what I'm looking at but all 3 options may be a little spendy. Might look at a lightly used v70 (no luck seeing any new ones still available) or an xc70.

At the rate I eventually buy a car (usually takes me a good 8 months of shopping around) the Golf Sportwagen should be out so that might be a good option.
I'm loving the V60. Drives well, owns in -30 weather, solid if un-fancy interior... it's just a ridiculously competent vehicle. I love the look, too; it's not flashy but it's like a very well-cut suit, it just looks right. About the only objection I have is that it's a little thirsty in the city (which makes sense, as it's much heavier than my old Mini), but it gets great mileage on the highway. My ideal vehicle is the V60 diesel-electric plug-in, but unfortunately Volvo is currently only selling gas engines (and no hybrids) in North America :shrug:

I got a quote on a 3-series diesel wagon which was $11,000 more than the Volvo (in Canada), so it was by far the least spendy option of the three wagons I looked at.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
You need to NSFW that :fap:

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Are there luxury wagons from the past ~20 years that aren't unreliable, expensive German cars? If there was a Towncar or Lexus LS wagon, that would be what I was looking for. I know there's the Cadillac CTS wagon, but I think I remember Tremek saying they sold less than 2000 of them.
Volvo makes some fan-loving-tastic wagons, for substantially less than the Germans. They're also tanks (at least according to the mechanic I took my old Mini to). :sweden:

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

angryrobots posted:

Price is too high on the Volvo, esp considering no a/c. Well, too high for US, dunno what they go for in the frozen north country.
Who the hell needs A/C when you have a) windows, and b) Canada outside said window?

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

KozmoNaut posted:

Most people tend to forget that apart from blowing cool air, A/C is also a very good dehumidifier, which I've found to be absolute essential in the slushy winters we get around here.
Ah, that's a good point. I'm in Alberta which is rarely humid (or hot, for that matter). Also that's a good point that broken A/C (as opposed to never having had A/C installed) is a sign of a poorly maintained vehicle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Negromancer posted:

Like I said, I have not kept up with the new volvo's, are there any big known issues with them? My wifes first car was a 240 wagon, so she could be easily convinced to buy a volvo. Didn't they make a polestar wagon?
I have a 2015 V60, and love it. Literally my only issue is the mileage kind of sucking, but I have a stop-start commute and my previous car was a Mini, so of course it looks lousy in comparison.

Kind of irritated (offended?) at the level of depreciation but I'm not selling any time soon.

• Locked thread