Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Speaking of v70r's......

2005 Volvo V70R - $15000 (North Seattle)

I really love the look of that body style. Am I the only one who is kinda weirded out by the shifter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Oxphocker posted:

Christ I'd buy that in a heartbeat if I were capable. That shifter is a manual, that's why it looks odd. That's pretty close to my dream car.

Yea, I get that its a manual, I have just never seen another car with a plastic shifter "boot" thing or what ever you want to call it before. I tend to watch CL for v70r's and this is probably the first manual version I have seen in that body style.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Drunken Lullabies posted:

If my anecdote helps a little, my parents were in the market for the same car earlier this year, their friend swooped up the 1.8t a4 wagon they almost bought, so they went with an outback instead. The Audi has been in the shop ever since and the outback has had zero issues. Made me really reconsider wanting to own an a4 newer Audi of any kind out of warranty.

Fixed that for you.

My gf has a 2000 Outback and its a great little car. With my normal driving(pretty much all city in traffic since I live in seattle), I tend to get just over 20mpg, but on road trips it will do closer to 30. I am always pretty impressed with how good the car feels to drive, nice steering feel, good brake/throttle response and pretty comfortable for long drives. Just about finished moving right now and I have been amazed how much stuff I can cram into it with the rear seat down.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Yea, the newer ones are a bit nicer. We actually got the outback from her mom, who upgraded to a new CRV and had the outback since new. We sold my gf's old car(2001 legacy sedan) and paid her mom trade in value for her outback, since it had slightly lower mileage(100k) than her legacy and was a wagon. Thankfully since it is older, it takes regular and gets almost as good of mileage as my '91 e30 318i sedan. The auto is not great, but not the worst I have driven. The only subaru auto I have liked is the on in my friends Legacy GT Limited, the manual shifting is surprisingly good.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Yea, little is relative term. Still feels small next to half the SUV's on the road or even the new outbacks, those things are HUGE.

It is an auto, but was very well maintained by my gf's parents. Is that something that would have been fixed by the dealer, or is it just an inevitable failure? I don't think it really lags going into gear, at least no more than any other auto I have ever driven. How big of a lag are you talking about? A couple seconds? I would say it takes it less than a second to engage after moving the shifter into D or R.

If it does go, I wonder how hard a manual swap would be for it. I have the strange urge to put a lift kit on it.......

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

blk posted:

The 0.1% of me that listens to Alice Cooper wants this: http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/cto/3826437573.html

That is awesome.

chrisgt posted:

Manual swap isn't really that much harder than a transmission swap. You just have to crawl under the dash and change out the pedal box. Involves dropping the steering column, sucks a bit, but it's not really that bad.
It sounds fine. It'll start barely noticeable, but you'll notice, hmm it's not the same as usual. It'll get to the point where it'll lag a few seconds, stay there for a while, and start going downhill. You get TONS of warning with these.
Last year I was talking to a guy that worked at one of the bigger indy shops in the area, and he said back when he worked there they figured out how to change that seal without even dropping the trans. I've personally never done it, I try to avoid taking apart autos...

If it ever does start lagging, put the lucas auto trans poo poo in it. I'm not a big fan of fix in a bottle, but in this case it's been proven time and time again to help the issue.
But if it's working fine, drain and fill it with atf every now and again and it'll be fine for a good while.

Yea, its not bad now, but I'll be sure to keep an eye on it. There are a ton of good independent subaru shops around here, so I am sure they could fix it if I need to.

I just found this on CL and is making me want to go buy it now....

VOLVO V70R AWD W/ 6SPD MANUAL SWAP - $6500 (Snohomish )

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

ammo mammal posted:

My new project/beater:

(drat taking a pic in direct sunlight was not kind to the paint)

Nissan Skyline GXE wagon. Made in Australia, bit of an odd duck.

Also just snagged these parts for a manual conversion.

That looks like a newer version of my dad's Skyline wagon

4spd with a LPG conversion. Painfully slow when trying to make it up the hills in NZ. I ran it on regular gas most of the time i was driving it since it gave it a bit more power over LPG.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

So I am not sure where else to post this, but I'm looking for a new wagon so this seems like the right thread.

Currently, my girlfriend has a 2000 Outback with a little over 100k miles on it, but she hates driving it and I am not that big of a fan either, so its time for something new. I want something more modern/safer(kids in the next couple years is something that will prolly happen), but still entertaining enough that I will be happy driving it. Sadly, in the US that really limits my options. The only wagons out there seem to be Audi/VW(not interested in dealing with upkeep), Mercedes(never been a big fan), Subaru(too big, they seem closer in size to SUV's now), Volvo and BMW. So pretty much I am down to looking at BMW's(2009-ish 530/535/328xi) and maybe a Volvo(I love v70r's). I really haven't paid any attention to new Volvo's in a while, so I am not sure what to look for/stay away from. We test drove a 530xi, which both of us really liked and my brother bought one recently and seems happy with it. I still have to go check out a 535xi and a 328xi.

Anyone have experience with any of the newer BMW wagons? Or Volvo's? Am I missing any other options? It seems that all the other "wagons" on the market are either pretty much 5 door hatches or slightly smaller suv's.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

LloydDobler posted:

Stay away from Volvo wagons from 01 and 02 as a general rule, they put bad software in the transmissions and then told owners to never change the fluid which puts all of them on borrowed time. From 03 onward they are pretty reliable, the 04-07 Rs are awesome but about 4x the maintenance costs with more failure prone items. The redesign came in 09 and those are also pretty solid as far as I know.

Thanks for the pointers. Strangely enough, despite seattle being the home of 80's and 90's Volvo wagons, there are not very many new ones around. They few that are seem to be the XC models, which I am not sure about. I will have to try and track down some to go check out.

raffie posted:

Subaru Legacy wagons?

I might go test drive some newer legacy wagons, but the parts of the way the outback drives that she does not like are pretty common in all Legacy's. I would love to track down a GT Limited wagon, but those are pretty hard to come by it seems.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

I posted before that I am looking for a new wagon, and didn't even consider a jetta TDI sportwagen until I found out their price. I have always said I would not own a VAG car that does not have a warranty, but these are cheap enough I would consider buying one new. I know a couple people have posted them in here and I was wondering how you guys like them? They are fwd, and I was kinda leaning more towards a AWD car, but being in seattle it doesn't really matter. How reliable are they? Any big issues that I should know about before considering one?

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

blk posted:

In Europe, yes. In the States, no.

blk posted:

Yes, it is really true. Volkswagen is not a universal budget brand here like it is in other parts of the world. For the past couple of decades it has been slightly upmarket from domestic and Japanese offerings in the US (although they are changing that with the new Jetta and Passat). Regardless, VWs are not typically used in business or fleet applications. Most fleet buyers can purchase an American car with a gas engine and automatic transmission at a significantly lower cost than a manual TDI. The low cost of gas here makes the economy of diesel less critical to the bottom line. Additionally, most Americans do not know how to drive a manual transmission, so you will not find them in fleet applications. Furthermore, most Americans have idiotic hangups about wagons because their moms drove them in the 1970s or something. Fleet and business shoppers who are interested in efficiency tend to buy the Prius or a domestic hybrid (Fusion). I've also seen several small businesses buy Smart cars as a promotional gimmick, as they're somewhat uncommon and can catch the eye of passerby here.

I think the first comment was partially related to the manual part. In the US, you would be hard pressed to find *any* fleet vehicle(ignoring semi trucks/industrial equipment) that had a manual transmission, since the majority* of people in the US have no idea what the 3rd pedal is for. Though I agree with you on the VW not being a budget brand here and diesel not being a big money saver like it seems to be in europe.

I drive a DSG Jetta sportswagen tdi, and it is the first automatic I have ever owned. Would I have gotten a 6spd if it wasn't for the fact it is for both my and the girlfriend? Prolly not actually. Mainly since I live in Seattle and the traffic is horrendous, but also because the DSG is drat nice. If I lived in a city where rush hour was not anytime that is not 10pm - 6am, I would prolly ended up with a 6spd. The jetta is my commuter/family car, not my fun car.

* I have nothing to back this statement up with, I just know most people drive autos.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

blk posted:

That's what I said:

I hear you on not using a manual in Seattle. Driving in that city kills me. I can do it, but I don't enjoy it.

drat, missed that part, my bad.

But yea, I have been driving in seattle for 13 years or so now(drat it, I am getting old), and it was not as much of a problem till I moved out of ballard/greenwood and had to start commuting downtown via i5. Taking surface streets to get around is one thing, but gently caress having to use i5 at peak commuting times with a manual. the ~10 mile drive from my house to my office takes 45 minutes each way most days, and both my house and offices are blocks from on ramps.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

^^^ that jag looks amazing. ^^^

blk posted:

What's maintenance / cost of ownership like on the DSG? Any expensive services? Does it survive into high mileage OK? I might buy a friend's DSG TDI Sportwagen for my wife if he moves abroad.

Oh yeah, did you ever buy that MR2?

I picked up my JSW on October 31st 2013, so no expensive services yet! Granted I think I have ~4500 miles on the car. I have been told the 30k service interval costs a couple hundred in fluid/parts, but they are supposed to be pretty good.

I had 2 different spyders sold out from under me, so I decided to wait and find a nice aw11. Working on a deal for a 1mzfe swapped one in LA area currently.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

delpheye posted:

I started looking around at wagons recently since I began to miss my old Volvo wagon. I found this and I'm curious if I should even waste my time. I really like the aesthetics, and who wouldn't want a twin turbo AWD wagon?

I showed it to the gf, and I didn't expect the look of total disgust on her face. I thought that was weird but it sparked a larger conversation at work today and we've come to the conclusion that girls don't like wagons. None of us understand why, though one woman said, "I don't want to drive a car that looks like I might have 2 kids in the back." That's as close to an explanation as any of us have gotten.

I guess I got lucky since my gf loves wagons and was all for getting the JSW that we have now.

She actually wants a 240DL wagon as well, so I might have to pick one up as project at some point.

SyHopeful posted:

Don't those have the adjustable ride height?

Yea, pretty sure they do, but even with that all the way down it sits higher than a standard a6 avant.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Bovril Delight posted:

If you're considering a newer Outback you might as well look at some of the small SUVs. It's big enough now that a CR-V and CX-5 are both smaller. You also open yourself up to a lot more options in that price point.

The new outback really is just a SUV now.

Get a tdi sportwagen and some good snow tires and you will be set. Even with the stock tires that came on mine I had no trouble on the one day there was actually snow on the ground.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Dopo posted:

I'm from New England and I'm totally comfortable driving FWD in the snow but in California the law says that you have to pull over and chain up if it's snowing in the mountains unless you have AWD. Kind of sucks when you're going after work and you have to pull over and deal with that at 10:00. I'm still going to test drive the VW though.

I don't think that applies if you have proper snow tires, but I could be wrong. We actually went from a 2000 Outback to a 2013 VW Sportwagen and I hate how much I love the VW.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

EgonSpengler posted:

Just got me a new TDI Golf Wagon, with automatic. Designed in Germany, hecho en México.

I spent two years in Germany and was in love with the wide variety of wagons that were available. Getting back to Canada meant my selection was super limited, but so far I'm thrilled with the Golf.

drat, that is identical to mine, but mine says Jetta on the back. What year is it?

Left my wagon at home for a month while I visit family in New Zealand. My dad has too many cars so he told me not to rent a car as I can borrow one of his. Get to his house and it turns out its a Alfa 156 wagon! It started out showing its Italian heritage as the drivers outside door handle stopped working. Fixed that and started touring the country. Made it to 90 mile beach and accidentally drove onto the soft sand and high centered it...

Got towed out by a nice local luckily. It has not given me any other troubles since and we have done prolly 3,000km so far. Nice little car, just gutless under 3k rpm.

slurry_curry fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jan 2, 2015

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Pretty Boy Floyd posted:

This could describe every Italian car made, ever.

True, and I have driven plenty of cars that are gutless under 3k rpm, but this is painfully bad. To start on a hill without stalling you pretty much have to dump the clutch at 4k rpm.

Fart Pipe posted:

Yea New England is like that too. I walked out of a store one time and thought somehow someone put dogs in my car but it was just the same color Forester as mine. Kastein and I also drive matching Foresters.

when we still had our old 2000 outback, the gf routinely tried to get into the wrong one. Nothing like driving a green outback wagon in seattle! Pretty much had to search using the remote to find the right car when we went to REI one time.....

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Best use of a Matrix XRS is as an engine/transmission donor for a aw11 mr2 or mr2 spyder :colbert:

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

I Am Not Spor posted:

I think the only wagon (actual wagon) is the GSW. But if you're turned off from VW, then you might be hosed. Maybe the Alltrack will have stick and you'll be saved?

I am in the same boat(tho no manual requirement, family car has to be an auto), I love my JSW tdi, but after all the bullshit I just want them to buy it back. But the only other companies that make real wagons other than VW/Audi seem to be BMW and Mercedes. I would love a new MB e350 wagon, but I can't justify spending that much money on a car right now. Used ones are hard to come by and expensive. The BMW 3 series wagons aren't bad, but they are pretty small and a x1 would probably make more sense(kinda a wagon). A used TSX wagon would be OK, but they are even harder to find.

What years of CTS wagons are best? There are a few on CL in my area right now, including 2 v-specs. I don't know if I could live with myself if I bought a CTS wagon that wasn't a v-spec tho. Not sure if I can convince my wife thats a good idea...

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Mange Mite posted:

Volvo is still around. Also Subaru.

I love old volvo's, not sure about the new ones so I might have to check them out. We had a outback before the JSW but neither of us really liked how it drove. Also I live in Seattle so there is an insane markup on outbacks, and they have gotten bigger than I would like.

GEMorris posted:

Yeah, off lease v60's have depreciated quite a bit. You can get a 2015 with 35k miles for under 20k

Like I said, I have not kept up with the new volvo's, are there any big known issues with them? My wifes first car was a 240 wagon, so she could be easily convinced to buy a volvo. Didn't they make a polestar wagon?

Tremek posted:

There's only one generation of CTS wagon, which should be 2010 as the first year for the regular CTS, 2011 first year for the V, and then the last year is 2014 for all wagons.

I, uh, like my V-wagon, and heartily endorse it. I think I would be bored by a 3.6 though, so while YMMV the answer is always more HP.

PS, I can fit 3 kids' car seats across in the back so my wife is just fine with it, and yours should be too.

Ok, thats what I figured, I knew the wagons were short lived. Having just bought our first house(that was a bit above our initial budget) and just got married, I don't think I can swing a V-spec just because of the price tag. The big downside is the wagon MUST be a automatic, so I don't know how I would feel about a auto v-spec. Tho there is one for sale locally that I might have to go test drive for fun if nothing else. I have already put the cap at 2 kids, but having that much room in the back is a good thing.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Tremek posted:

My -V is an auto. It's fine, only spergs freak out about manuals these days.

V versus a Volvo Polestar (which is virtually unobtanium): $40k for a V wagon is very possible, and it's 556hp stock, and is probably still under some form of warranty. A Polestar is what, $60k+, and down 200hp? I know what I would drive.

For some reason I thought you had a manual. I agree, modern autos are really nice compared to what they used to be. I assume the auto is worth while in the V?

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Tremek posted:

It's Good Enough. Would a manual be more fun in some situations? Yes. I had a manual G8 GXP and a MS3 before the V, and occasionally I miss shifting for myself but the convenience of my wife not being intimidated by a 650hp car whenever we need to switch is just fine by me.

Well I guess I need to go look at this now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Albino Squirrel posted:

I have a 2015 V60, and love it. Literally my only issue is the mileage kind of sucking, but I have a stop-start commute and my previous car was a Mini, so of course it looks lousy in comparison.

Kind of irritated (offended?) at the level of depreciation but I'm not selling any time soon.

Yea, mileage is gonna hurt no matter what I get. With my emissions cheating TDI I get at least ~32mpg driving around town in Seattle traffic, with the DSG transmission and not driving it nicely. I might have to check one out, but like every wagon that isn't an outback, they seem pretty rare in this area.

Tremek posted:

Drive it, but they want way too much for it. You can find a wagon in the 40s. Don't be afraid to fly & drive.

Edit: Didn't see that it only has 13k miles, but my statement still stands. 2 years ago I bought my '12 for low-mid-40s with 29k on it.

Yea, I would only go test drive that to get a feel for the car. I really dislike red cars, on top of the fact it seemed really over priced. Hell, for me fly & drive is more of the ideal solution since its a good excuse for a road trip. I fly down to SF every other month at least for work, so if I can find one down there the flight down is even paid for!

• Locked thread