Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I do wonder how the Daniel Penny trial will play out in October. A lot of chuds use the outcome of that incident to flippantly claim you Just Can't Defend Yourself Anymore, or you'll get arrested and charged with murder :psyduck:. Second degree manslaughter might be easier to prove than murder in Rittenhouse's trial. Curious how the right wing media will interpret either outcome-

If innocent, they'll try to make him into another right wing darling but as with Kyle the results might vary. I presume the antisocial behaviors leading someone to choke or shoot a person to death aren't going to be as media friendly as they'd like.

If guilty, I anticipate a big surge in "it's not safe to live in Democrat cities, leave while you still can" and reactionary laws in red counties intended to protect further people from prosecution under the particular circumstances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

thermodynamics cheated

PT6A posted:

I think this attorney quite rightly resents his former client for taking an unimaginable boon, a wealth of funds and effort spend first on his defense and then on providing the opportunity to move on with his life, and pissing it away because he's too loving dumb, and I get why he feels that way. I've seen similar things in my line of work, and if you are committed to the job you do, you don't like watching someone treat your efforts and expertise with utter contempt.

Yeah it's wild knowing all this, especially considering that everything that comes out that suggests exactly how dumb rittenhouse is

makes you have to remember that the prosecution team was dumber

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

Staluigi posted:

Yeah it's wild knowing all this, especially considering that everything that comes out that suggests exactly how dumb rittenhouse is

That, and that the judge had his thumb firmly on the scale throughout the trial.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Panfilo posted:

I do wonder how the Daniel Penny trial will play out in October. A lot of chuds use the outcome of that incident to flippantly claim you Just Can't Defend Yourself Anymore, or you'll get arrested and charged with murder :psyduck:. Second degree manslaughter might be easier to prove than murder in Rittenhouse's trial. Curious how the right wing media will interpret either outcome-

If innocent, they'll try to make him into another right wing darling but as with Kyle the results might vary. I presume the antisocial behaviors leading someone to choke or shoot a person to death aren't going to be as media friendly as they'd like.

If guilty, I anticipate a big surge in "it's not safe to live in Democrat cities, leave while you still can" and reactionary laws in red counties intended to protect further people from prosecution under the particular circumstances.

There is no possible universe in which putting someone in a chokehold until they die is self-defense.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Xand_Man posted:

There is no possible universe in which putting someone in a chokehold until they die is self-defense.

Before the Rittenhouse trial, I would agree there's no way something like this is going to be interpreted as self defense. Now, I'm cynical about how exactly the jury will see things. Conservatives see Penny as a hero and a martyr.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

PT6A posted:

I feel quite bad for him, to be honest. Even the worst assholes in society deserve a zealous defense within the limits of the law, I don't think you can blame a criminal defense attorney for having a client who has legitimately done terrible things, and I don't think you can blame them for taking every available legal avenue to provide a defense. You can, of course, be quite upset that this quality of representation is available on a very unequal basis, but that's a separate issue.

I think this attorney quite rightly resents his former client for taking an unimaginable boon, a wealth of funds and effort spend first on his defense and then on providing the opportunity to move on with his life, and pissing it away because he's too loving dumb, and I get why he feels that way. I've seen similar things in my line of work, and if you are committed to the job you do, you don't like watching someone treat your efforts and expertise with utter contempt.

yeah that's really true. it sucks a lot to see that much of a sincere effort completely flushed down the drain like that. I don't think the kid was worth going to such lengths beyond the defense itself but it really does sound like the lawyer got taken for a ride here too

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

I read through some of the dude's posts, I don't think he's a lawyer. Ex-SEAL brought on as a consultant to whip Rittenhouse into shape, maybe.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
The dude got paid. His mistake was thinking there was some higher calling here, or trying to convince us that's what he was really after. He didn't do this pro bono.

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013
It's a lot of effort down the drain no matter what way you slice it.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Staluigi posted:

I don't know that's the case at all. The prosecution in any case must fight an uphill battle, and I think that's the way it ought to be. They must prove beyond a reasonable doubt that a crime occurred, with reference to what the law defines as a crime, because the result is a person's freedom being taken away. I can and will say that Kyle Rittenhouse is a piece of poo poo and society would benefit from the removal of him from it. I can say that he's a morally repugnant piece of garbage. I can't say beyond a reasonable doubt that he committed a crime as defined by the law. That is probably a problem with the law, as much as anything else.

I am nonetheless pleased that karma seems to be accomplishing what the law could not, and I hope he lives a life of guilt and misery.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

PT6A posted:

I am nonetheless pleased that karma seems to be accomplishing what the law could not, and I hope he lives a life of guilt and misery.

He lives in misery because he feels no guilt. It's downright poetic

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021
I was wondering briefly what I'd do with that kind of media attention and opportunity. The answer is probably "get myself whacked" because I've discovered I'm really, really good at annoying the poo poo out of media companies by pointing out their role in running cover for the evils of capitalism

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

The Islamic Shock posted:

I was wondering briefly what I'd do with that kind of media attention and opportunity. The answer is probably "get myself whacked" because I've discovered I'm really, really good at annoying the poo poo out of media companies by pointing out their role in running cover for the evils of capitalism

Yeah you'd be a super martyr because of your virtue

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I didn't realize it was just one can, I knew it was a promotional thing but figured it was a very limited run collector thing or something. drat.
https://twitter.com/AriDrennen/status/1775622214639079603?t=n10Mh0R2n6vh_muo5raF1Q&s=19

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

ContinuityNewTimes posted:

Yeah you'd be a super martyr because of your virtue
I think a few people have to actually like you to be a martyr and that's not happening, but yes, dumb hyperbole from me

Panfilo posted:

I didn't realize it was just one can, I knew it was a promotional thing but figured it was a very limited run collector thing or something. drat.
This sort of thing is what I use to rebuke the more outlandish dumb poo poo that tries to get passed off as true- if there were evidence of real furry school bathrooms etc. Fox News would fill the majority of their runtime for the next month never shutting the gently caress up about it

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

thermodynamics cheated

PT6A posted:

I don't know that's the case at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2l1fcLxfOg

Prosecution was inept to an almost clinical degree, leading up slowly and patiently to disaster cross testimony theatre. The defense team for rittenhouse included the prosecution imo

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

PT6A posted:

I don't know that's the case at all. The prosecution in any case must fight an uphill battle, and I think that's the way it ought to be. They must prove beyond a reasonable doubt that a crime occurred, with reference to what the law defines as a crime, because the result is a person's freedom being taken away. I can and will say that Kyle Rittenhouse is a piece of poo poo and society would benefit from the removal of him from it. I can say that he's a morally repugnant piece of garbage. I can't say beyond a reasonable doubt that he committed a crime as defined by the law. That is probably a problem with the law, as much as anything else.

Yeah. the dudes rightfully hosed now and it "might" get worse for him. https://twitter.com/DaveHan06/status/1776203211885441046 i wouldnt be shocked if stuff got dumped eventually.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Panfilo posted:

Chaya Raichik making an rear end of herself once again.
https://twitter.com/TheGreeneBJ/status/1774922002186350802?t=5SFyS5EfY0pH1EhYBurjIQ&s=19
I think this is the risk these reactionaries take when they crawl out of the sewer of anonymity in Twitter and let nornies hear them talk out loud.

You'd think they'd be more prepared the last time some conservatives brain went all BSoD when asked to define wokeness lol.

this. but also you have to remember sacks of poo poo like Chaya are just hyped up kiwi farms trolls, hell she basicaly was one until the chuds blew smoke up her rear end and made her a "moral paragon" this is all a weird psycho game to her and she is also dumb as hell. most terminally online chuds are dumb as hell and dont know how to intereact with anyone outside their little sphere. the chuds and apperently the GOP are making the mistake that their echo chamber is the "silent majority". its why you have all the talking heads screaming insane religious trad poo poo.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Panfilo posted:

Before the Rittenhouse trial, I would agree there's no way something like this is going to be interpreted as self defense. Now, I'm cynical about how exactly the jury will see things. Conservatives see Penny as a hero and a martyr.

yeah, i think he walks probably, maybe one of the lesser charges. he is white and conventually normal looking and was in the military and apperently did it in defence of others mixed with the victim being a mentally ill black guy with history of violence and mental outbursts and poo poo. like i am pretty sure the dude shattered a ladies face plus other stuff. like yeah its clear the victim was failed by our hosed mental health system and then got killed by some moron who tried to do solid snake poo poo but hosed up and kept doubling down even when people were telling him to stop. Like sure he should be found guilty but his past and the victims past actions are gonna save him

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Apr 5, 2024

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

thermodynamics cheated
Wokeness is when you, um, when you critical race theory a ... uh, a DEI, i know what all these things mean of course... i just watched a liberal do it yesterday, wokenessc got everywhere

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

she woke on my DEI until i critical race theory

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

There is absolutely wild poo poo going down the internet-y right wing grifter world. Candice Owens got fired from the Daily Wire over disagreements with Ben Shapiro over with him being severely biased towards Israel. She claims he's being a bully and censoring her. That has turned into a "debate me" challenge.

The kicker is that she is trying poach his audience, make her own platform similar to the Daily Wire and teamed with another right wing star Patrick Bet David.

https://x.com/benshapiro/status/1776382501914579218

https://x.com/patrickbetdavid/status/1776399687584514085

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I thought the reason she got fired is because she was being very openly anti-Semitic and reposting/liking really heinous anti-Jewish memes

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

FlamingLiberal posted:

I thought the reason she got fired is because she was being very openly anti-Semitic and reposting/liking really heinous anti-Jewish memes

Yep. Love how they continue to be suprised when people who make a career out of being biggots turn out to be be biggots.

You'd think a smart boy like ben would of seen that one comming

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I'm sure he knew what she was like. It doesn't sound like she has ever tried to really hide any of her opinions. At some point her being the token black conservative on his network just wasn't worth the trouble.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Kith posted:

she woke on my DEI until i critical race theory

When you DEI but she still woking.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

FlamingLiberal posted:

I'm sure he knew what she was like. It doesn't sound like she has ever tried to really hide any of her opinions. At some point her being the token black conservative on his network just wasn't worth the trouble.

There's plenty of dyed in the wool antisemites still at the Daily Wire or at least in Benji's orbit, they just hate black and brown people more and have the good sense to achieve those goals by supporting Israel on right wing media

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

FlamingLiberal posted:

I think the breaking point was when she pointed out somewhere that maybe Israel didn’t need to murder so many Palestinian civilians in cold blood.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

I think the breaking point was when she pointed out somewhere that maybe Israel didn’t need to murder so many Palestinian civilians in cold blood.
It's certainly possible.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
:fuckoff:
https://twitter.com/ShahrarAli/status/1776707961034817549?t=OxizFu8-MwzHs3OvzecJZw&s=19

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

I thought we were calling it "gock"

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

FlamingLiberal posted:

Basically.

She's playing at Ben's angle of free speech and that he wouldn't de-platform anyone even if they had awful opinions. But then he did, lol.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yup, she was brought on because she's a rising right wing star and he wanted to grow the Daily Wire.

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021
First impression of this guy is holy poo poo does he have the talent for the grift

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Ben Shapiro: 1v1 me nub

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Neito posted:

Ben Shapiro: 1v1 me nub

Because that always goes great when it's not a random college student without any debate/interview experience

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

DarklyDreaming posted:

Because that always goes great when it's not a random college student without any debate/interview experience

Ben is, to extend my little League joke, a Silver-Tier player; against a Bronze-Tier player, like a college student or a trash-tier lib or whomever he goes after, he feels like he's running rings around you, like he's mastered some hidden tech that makes you a god. In reality, all he's mastered is the debate version of last-hitting and chain-ulting; he's learned a few things that are astonishingly basic in higher tiers, but aren't things that new players think of, understand, or consider in their play.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Nothing like making a little chaos for minutes of darkness.
Wonder where that $100k goes if theres no emergency to take care of.
https://twitter.com/KARK4News/status/1776675350606389390

"LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (KNWA/KFTA) — Gov. Sarah Huckabee Sanders declared a state of emergency on Friday ahead of the solar eclipse, according to a news release.

Sanders said in the release that she released funds from the Response and Recovery Fund to help commercial carriers transport essentials to customers in the state during the eclipse.

The essential items listed in the order include groceries, pharmacy items, medical equipment, goods, commodities, fuel, poultry, livestock and feed.

The release said the decision was made out of caution due to the expected increase of visitors to Arkansas “potentially causing hardships.”

“We want to make sure Arkansans and all visitors have an enjoyable experience and come back again and again,” Sanders said in a statement.

The order will allocate $100,000 from the fund to address program and administrative costs and will be managed by the director of the Arkansas Division of Emergency Management..

The state emergency will remain in effect until April 10."

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011
That's actually a pretty normal response when you expect a big influx of tourists gathering all over the place in areas where tourists don't typically gather all over the place - and a big spectacle in the sky that will naturally cause distracted driving. A lot of governments are doing it.

quote:

Nearly a week before the 2017 eclipse, Oregon Gov. Kate Brown (D-OR) declared a state of emergency in anticipation of “a rapid influx of visitors” to the state “and substantial movement of Oregonians from one part of this state to another,” according to the declaration’s text.

Other states that were in the path of totality did not issue statewide emergency declarations ahead of the 2017 total eclipse. However, many states, like Nebraska, Kentucky and Illinois, had emergency preparedness plans and teams in place. Some states also warned the public about the chance of traffic jams, large crowds, wildfires and storms during the eclipse.

The National Guard was also on standby in South Carolina, Nebraska and Oregon.

Ahead of the 2024 eclipse, multiple states, counties and cities located in the path of totality have declared states of emergency, including Indiana, and multiple cities and counties in New York and Texas, according to recent news reports.

Canada’s Niagara Region has also declared a state of emergency as it prepares to welcome up to a million visitors for the solar eclipse.

“The eclipse is typically a situation where you’ll have visitors from all across the country who will travel to your jurisdiction, to your location, and they may impact travel and transportation routes, they may impact the communications networks through their cell phones. And they may create a higher demand for services like emergency medical services, increased car accidents and all kinds of things,” said Justin Kates, president of the International Association of Emergency Managers (IAEM) - USA Council.

https://www.13wmaz.com/article/news/verify/eclipse-verify/total-solar-eclipse-state-of-emergency-disaster-declarations-2017-2024-fact-check/

Civilized Fishbot fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Apr 8, 2024

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

OgNar posted:

Preemptively call a state of emergency when the sun goes away. Smart.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nightfall_(Asimov_novelette_and_novel)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

OgNar posted:

https://twitter.com/KARK4News/status/1776675350606389390

"LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (KNWA/KFTA) — Gov. Sarah Huckabee Sanders declared a state of emergency on Friday ahead of the solar eclipse, according to a news release.

Sanders said in the release that she released funds from the Response and Recovery Fund to help commercial carriers transport essentials to customers in the state during the eclipse.

The essential items listed in the order include groceries, pharmacy items, medical equipment, goods, commodities, fuel, poultry, livestock and feed.

The release said the decision was made out of caution due to the expected increase of visitors to Arkansas “potentially causing hardships.”

“We want to make sure Arkansans and all visitors have an enjoyable experience and come back again and again,” Sanders said in a statement.

The order will allocate $100,000 from the fund to address program and administrative costs and will be managed by the director of the Arkansas Division of Emergency Management..

The state emergency will remain in effect until April 10."

She sucks, full stop.

This is not a really weird thing to do, though. I was up in Hot Springs Arkansas on Friday night from my town in Louisiana and traffic was BONKERS. They already have a huge influx of visitors to the state for the eclipse acting crazy, getting drunk and crashing cars. The locals are more worried about people parking in strange places on the interstates and causing accidents because everyone is looking up. That, and everyone is treating it like a giant party. I'm sure people being weird about the eclipse is on the list, but not near the top.

On the list of dumb, weird poo poo she does, this isn't really on it.