Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Media Matters was actually started by David Brock, a guy who spent the 90's on the wingnut welfare train before deciding that everybody he knew was a scumbag. He wrote books poo poo-talking Hillary Clinton and Anita Hill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

VideoTapir posted:

It's funny how one of the most long-lived right-wing talking points about the left has been the left's alleged moral relativism.

If the left actually had that to the extent that the right does, perhaps we'd be better at uniting.

It's my experience that most people use "moral relativism" to mean "disagrees with me".

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

As much as I hate to see radio go down the shitter, watching Clear Channel crash and burn is SO GRATIFYING as somebody who lived through the Bush administration. Shame it can't be broken up Ma Bell-style.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Glitterbomber posted:

Stem Cells, Fox said we need them to research poo poo like Parkinson's and he was having tremors during that ad. Rush proceeded to imply he was faking, mocked the tremors, and in general behave like an utter rear end.

Fox stopped taking his pills before the ad so that it would capture the full range of what Parkinson's is like. Conservatives jumped on him and claimed that if he just took his meds he'd have nothing to complain about, because right-wing politics basically burns your empathy away until nothing is left.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Dr. Cogwerks posted:

There was a definite undercurrent that every civilian somehow becomes subservient to the military command structure during a war, and the president is OUR GLORIOUS LEADER in wartime... so it's unpatriotic and anti-American and anti-troops to ever say anything bad about a war once it's going, or before it starts, or anytime really. I think a big part of that is good ol' chickenhawk bluster, trying to act like they're a critical part of the war effort when some fat millionaires sitting in a radio booth.

The big phrases I remember were "Support the troops!", which was code for "support the war or else you are a morally horrible person for hating soldiers!", and "if you can't respect the President, respect the office of President", which was code for "stop pointing out that George Bush is a horrible person."

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

prefect posted:

She works as hard as she can to be Ann Coulter II, but she's never seemed to get much attention. Howard Stern used to have her as a guest once in a while, which was fun, because she's only worthwhile for being goofed on.

She can't be Ann Coulter II, Ann Coulter II is Laura Ingraham. Schlussel would have to be Ann Coulter III.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Wait, who's Dana?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

e: welp

Pope Guilty fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Nov 2, 2012

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The basic scientific research that underlies all those neat profitable technological shinies that libertarians love tends to actually happen at public universities, funded by government grants. Maybe Mark Rosenfelder was right, and the frequent invisibility of well-managed government services is a terrible thing.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Daily Currant is apparently a satire site, but I'm not sure how it's satire if the words you attribute to somebody are 100% in line with his publicly expressed opinions.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

LaserShark posted:

O'Reilly has such a weird relationship with NPR. I feel that if you call the leaders of an organization 'Nazis', you shouldn't be allowed to go on their show the next week to hawk your latest book.

Reminds me of Rush Limbaugh cheerfully accepting the ACLU's assistance in his court case, then returning to trashing them.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

HEGEL SMOKE A J posted:

Isn't that literally Leo Strauss's position (and, to some extent, also Charles Taylor--I know he's religious, but he loves him some social cohesion arguments)? I'm not going to pretend it's not morally perverse, but it's not like this is uncommon.

Strauss is great. There's no god, but religion is necessary to get people to gently caress themselves over for the greater good, so as an enlightened being, your job is to promote the poo poo out of religion and write coded texts that communicate these values of deceit and exploitation to other enlightened people.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Interestingly, Strauss shares with Hobbes this sort of determination to paint governance as horrifingly as possible so he can rub it in your face that it's better than you'd be without it.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Jack of Hearts posted:

Wait, what? Are you saying there's an esoteric reading of Hobbes that's pro-anarchy?

No, no, I'm saying that Hobbes and Strauss both have this weird thing where they like to rub the awfulness of governance in your face to the end of smugly going "but the alternative is awfulness and horror, so suck it up".

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

SilentD posted:

I forget who it was but it was some famous "economic rights have been trampled by civil rights and this sucks" right winger that was gleefully cheering on the fiasco in Chile, with a line of logic of "well, sure it's a dictatorship and people are getting killed left and right but gently caress man, pure economic freedom and that's what counts to us folk that matter". And not some minor person, might have been Milton Freidman.

The people who can tie their own shoes and show up to work on time on the right know it's all crap, all they want is pure unregulated capitalism, but they can't come out actually say that or people will run screaming. If it means they have to live under a theocracy or a dictatorship to get it, they don't care. As long as economic and contract rights are first and foremost.

A lot of total pieces of poo poo were huge Pinochet fans.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Monkey Fracas posted:

Biggest mistake I make regarding marginal tax rates is assuming people already understand. Most people I talk to about it get it if they don't accuse me of lying. How you can pay taxes once and not know how they work is beyond me :psyduck: I can see why it's so easy for the conservative propaganda machine to mislead people.

Dunno about anybody else, but I file a 1040-EZ and I just compare my income to the chart. Filling out a 1040 won't teach you about marginal utility.

Now, my parents' accountant apparently sympathized with their desire to avoid the $250K+ tax hike, so I'm about 50% certain he's a loving thief of some description.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

colonelslime posted:

Somebody has to do a study on the income political figures can expect to make now that they can seamlessly transition from primary or election loser to pundit. You have to figure it acts as a perverse incentive, effectively turning running in an election into a marketing strategy for later.

Wingnut Welfare is hardly a new thing.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Nah, paranoid hatred of the UN has been a right-wing bugaboo since its formation. The John Birch Society, which if you're not familiar with it you really need to read up on it, which was started by the Koch brothers' father, used to rant about UN takeover of the US back in the 60's and 70's about how the Demmycrats were going to sell out the US to the UN and so on and so on.

Xenophobic psychosis has been the default state of the American right since... ever.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

I thought Libertarian rhetoric about freedom and liberty and so on sounded pretty cool right up until the guy trying to sell me on it mentioned the free market, at which point I lost interest.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

When your sense of humor is

quote:

There will be no laughter, except the laugh of triumph over a defeated enemy.

you basically lose your ability to distinguish comedy and the exercise of power.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

SedanChair posted:

Bill Maher: "Bush" :smug:
Audience: :downsbravo:

I heard good things about Margaret Cho and tried watching one of her videos on Netflix. It was pretty much this for 90 minutes.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Seoinin posted:

I'm actually kinda stunned there hasn't been more right wing media outreach to the Good Homosexuals, i.e. white middle class folks. The intersection between "hateful shithead" and "gay" must have some money to tap into.

GOProud and the Log Cabin Republicans are full of complete pieces of poo poo who happened to be born non-het.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

"Radiosensitivity" is the funniest bullshit ever. You are, right now, bathing in radio waves. The exact same kind of radio waves that come out of your devices. Being as you are nonferrous, you have nothing to fear.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

I set some ominous music behind Alex Jones awhile back and I think it works pretty well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RV4xrcqfo4

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Oceanlife posted:

As a male between the ages of 25 and 35 with college sports experience I know I am the first line of defense when danger comes to my town. I sit at the ready, lacrosse stick in hand, ready to strike down any armed gunmen with a barrage of well thrown lacrosse balls.

The fondest desire of the Freeper is to shout "WOLVERINES!"

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

A Winner is Jew posted:

Please tell me you had 13 years of lacrosse at boarding school. :allears:

Did you not?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Boondock Saint posted:

As someone living in DC, I assure you, this is not the case.

Most people around here realize how batshit the Republicans are (or at least how batshit a large portion of their base is), the problem is more that Democrats are a much more inclusive party, and as a result, people often disagree (and get no where as a result) on how to do things.

They mean politicians, not actual people living in DC.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The whole FEMA DEATH CAMPS thing actually goes back to Oliver North.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Yeah, this is just Michael Savage forgetting to put the "not a fascist" mask on before going on-air.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Victor von Doom posted:

The day 3000 civilians were killed was the most important day of your life. For me? It was Tuesday.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Anybody got a video link? This sounds hilarious.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

You know how Andrew Schlafly hates General Relativity because he's not smart enough to distinguish it from moral relativism? Here's a guy who thinks the distributive property in algebra is liberal propaganda.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Gun nuts remind me of pro-lifers in that much of their rhetoric carries an unspoken "...or we'll kill you." Lately, the gun people are going ahead and saying it.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

saltylopez posted:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323689604578220132665726040.html#project%3DWEALTH0105%26articleTabs%3Dinteractive

An infographic helpfully explaining the tax changes to the "average" American.

All these examples have investment income equal to or greater than what I gross in a year.

When did Eric Holder retire?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Spacedad posted:

Was it George Tiller? The American right even dubbed him "George Tiller the baby killer" - this guy who would perform free abortions for victims of pedophile incest gets gunned down in a church in cold blood.

Scum like O'Reilly hounded him for years: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/06/01/bill-oreilly-crusaded-aga_n_209665.html

It wouldn't surprise me if they vaguely hope some nutjob is going to try to assassinate Obama as a result of their hysterical blathering.

I remember seeing an article on Scott Roeder's extensive and intimate ties to the organized pro-life movement, particularly Operation Rescue, and pointed out that for a penniless guy he sure didn't have much trouble driving in from out of town on a regular basis to stalk Tiller and he managed to scrounge up a gun and ammo from somewhere.

The pro-life movement has always had an implicit "...or we'll kill you" in their arguments.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Where do you live in the US to know multiple people who come into enough regular contact with "gypsies" to have vocal opinions about them?

Americans love to pick up on racism and bigotries from other parts of the world. Hell, sometimes we even import it, as when anti-ginger bullying suddenly became a thing in the US after that South Park episode aired.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

SnakePlissken posted:

Do not feed. Do not feed. Just keep walking.

I'm neither trolling nor joking.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Spacedad posted:

Huckabee thinks that prayer in schools will protect children from the proliferation of firearms. :allears:

Counterpoint:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_54urFdp2kU

I dunno, worked out pretty well in the Boxer Rebellion.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Fortunately, Christwire is satire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

My favorite part was when she tried to fire the local librarian for being unwilling to let her just remove books from the shelves at her own discretion. Or maybe when she fired the state trooper for dumping one of her relatives and somehow didn't get indicted for corruption.