Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShakeyDog
May 27, 2008

Zeroisanumber posted:

Huffington Post and Salon.com come to mind, though they're not nearly as influential amongst liberals.

For good reason in my opinion. Liberals generally are far more versed in critical thinking and are more likely to want to throw media sources under the bus even if at first they're inclined to agree with them. I'd say liberals are more open to the idea that people saying agreeable things at a surface level can nonetheless be horribly corrupt and disingenuous. Or, to put it another way, liberals are more easily disappointed.

Not that they're wrong to be disappointed by Salon or Huffington. Huffington routinely tramples on workers rights and makes a mockery of leftism while Salon shamelessly runs valid media criticism (see: David Sirota) right next to vapid Democratic cheerleading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShakeyDog
May 27, 2008
You really should ad Matt Drudge to your list, BiggerBoat. He's pretty much the voice of modern American conservatism.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matt_Drudge

http://drudgereport.com/

A consistent stream of hatred, rooted in half-truths, populism, xenophobia, self-pity and, ultimately, fear of what our world has become. Take a look at the page, read the headlines, and observe the conservative philosophy at work.

A few choice ones:

MSNBC Ridicules Romney for Collecting Food, Supplies for Sandy Victims...

Michael Moore/MoveOn.org: We will burn this motherf*cker down and c*ck-punch Romney...

Quarter-billion-dollar stimulus grant creates just 400 jobs...

CHICAGOLAND: Third of city schools flunk food inspections...

Gore blames 'global warming'...

FACEBOOK Censors Navy SEALS to Protect Obama on Benghazi...

Pick and choose what you want to get outraged at!

I'm curious about this subject though. What do you think a steady diet of someone like Matt Drudge does to the mind?

ShakeyDog
May 27, 2008

Uncle Wemus posted:

How do the media figures like the ones in the OP get started? They dont seem to be journalists so are they just right-wing letters-to-the-editor writers who get attention? Who or what made Rush?

Rush hitting radio at that time was like the perfect storm. He had the talent and personality to take a radio host job and set the world on fire with it. Few people could have done what he did. It takes a crass, fearless man to get on the radio and send out a stream of conservatism that is regressive enough that the common people can nod along with it.

A guy like Rush is perfectly suited for the radio format since he can specialize in finding a subject and then riffing on it for as long as he needs to, while still having a perfect sense of timing. There's an art to his ranting in that it's perfectly designed to be book-ended by advertising.

ShakeyDog fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Oct 31, 2012

ShakeyDog
May 27, 2008

BiggerBoat posted:

It was a combination of AM radio dying and having tons of cheap air time available combined with the more open, aggressive, and in your face type of radio that Howard Stern made popular, where you pretty much just say whatever and garner publicity from the FCC and studio censors going after you. Rush had failed several times in radio, and has even collected unemployment benefits on more than one occasion. He's also accepted the help of the ACLU when he had his drug problems.

AM radio when Rush started was a loving wasteland. They couldn't give airtime away, let alone sell advertising. There was a giant vacuum there waiting to be filled by something and Rush struck lightening by basically inventing the concept of the "conservative rebel". There's a Tim Robbins mockumentary film called Bob Roberts that very cleverly encapsulates this concept, though it's hard to find anywhere. Rush cashed in on cheap air time and exploited all the put upon conservative squares who never had a chance to be rebellious and cool and felt left out because they were no fun at parties, weren't funny, never got laid, and never had any original ideas or thoughts of their own.

There's a certain percentage of the population, a disturbingly large one in fact, that LIKES being told what to do and what to think about things. I don't think, as many have suggested in this thread, that the conservative listener seeks reinforcement of preconceived ideas, so much as they lack the confidence in their own thought processes to formulate ideas and opinions on their own. They're frightened of change and evolving thoughts and ideas, and that the "status quo" moves over time, so they turn to people who willfully exploit them for commercial gain and give them their opinions because adjusting their mindset is too much work and they lack the confidence to do so. They're scared of not being "cool" and desperately want to fit in to something but lack the ability to move forward.

I usually have to wait 24 hours to know what my conservative friends think about anything. It's because they're waiting to be TOLD to think by their authority figures. It's not reinforcement, it's a lack of independent logic.

Added. Thanks. I know I left him out and did a separate post once I realized my error, but I'll add it to the OP.

It makes smart people think dumb things and makes dumb people believe in and double down on their dumbness. It normalizes the fringe. Talk to my father in law. Drudge is his start up page. He's not a complete idiot. He's a retired accountant.

We were talking about the Wall Street crash one time and I offered the idea that I'm just as well off betting on football games in Vegas than I am giving my money to Charles Schwabb to pick winners in the stock market and he said my opinion was "asinine". I don't see a huge difference between betting on the Philadelphia Eagles or betting on IBM or GE, and to me it's all gambling except one game isn't fixed. I know there are differences between sports betting and mutual funds, but I hardly think the comparison is asinine.

Oh yeah, he's also a birther so maybe he is an idiot.

I doubt that he's an idiot. He probably just doesn't understand what's happened to the world and finds Drudge reassuring. I'm sure the logic of "smug liberals and foreigners ruin everything" is way more intuitive to a lifelong financial market servant than blaming things on Wall Street or the Military-Industrial Complex or capitalism in general.

ShakeyDog
May 27, 2008

Zwabu posted:

The proudly self-applied label of "dittohead" and all that "megadittoes" bullshit pretty much tells the story.

All the "Great American" poo poo on Hannity is pretty nauseating too. You, Cheeto-eating morbidly obese angry racist redneck, are a Great American for espousing similar views to my own! No, YOU are the Great American! This speaks to the mentality, I can't believe most people aren't insulted by this, you don't need to actually DO anything brave or noteworthy, just by being in my tribe, you are not only a good, but GREAT American!

It's basically saying "You're special just for showing up". Of course, conservatives will bitch about this exact same kind of poo poo endlessly when they can blame it on liberals. Tell a kid that he's special and you're a limp-wristed PC mediocrity-enabler. Tell a dittohead that he's patriotic and you too might just love your country!