Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
Glad to see this thread. I have satellite radio in my car and live in Arizona so we get all manner of totally off-the-rails AM radio stations as well. I hate it but it's also like all that I listen to lately because it's just so nuts, especially the call-ins. Cultivating an absolutely lunatic fringe and then accepting random call-ins from those people is this weird train-wreck style amusement that I just can't look away from. At this point I'm practically a connoisseur of crazy radio personalities.

I've heard a lot of crazy poo poo live, including the SA is CIA rant on Glenn Beck, but nothing so far beats the Laura Schlessinger friend of the family rant. If you haven't heard it before, listen to this audio:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAD-PipXGwA

I heard that poo poo live while driving to lunch and spent the entire time with mouth agape wondering if I just heard what I thought I heard. It was so surreal that I couldn't believe what I just heard.

Also, if we're listing completely over-the-top right wing caricatures, Mark Levin deserves a mention. That dude is the most weaselly sounding person I've ever heard on the radio. Since we're linking wikipedia here he is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Levin

Also, Andrew Wilkow deserves a mention as well. He's more libertarian than strictly right wing but he's responsible for the most abhorrent rant I've heard on right wing radio. He went on a 10 minute rant about how minorities breed like animals and that social safety nets are only prepared to deal with people who operate on human standards that just left me speechless. I really can't put into words how I felt hearing that speech. Again, linking here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Wilkow

Good Citizen fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Oct 17, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

This article has it all. I would have paid good money to watch that giant man-baby throw a tantrum at airport security. Here's hoping someone in the line had a camera phone.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Orange Devil posted:

It's just 15 minutes of lovely people making GBS threads all over eachother.

CNN.

Until I got to the CNN mention I wasn't sure if you were talking about the interview or the TSA incident.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Yep, that's a crazy person alright.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Want this to happen and have Piers suddenly and unexpectedly go Uwe Boll on his rear end.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Holy poo poo. That is the dumbest thing I've read in my entire life. I don't have words sufficient enough to describe just how stupid that sentence is.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Unzip and Attack posted:

I'm hearing a lot of people bitching about their taxes going up this paycheck. From what I understand, this is due to an increase in order to pay for SS. Is that correct? Can someone briefly explain what process led to this specific tax increase occurring?

The payroll tax holiday was allowed to end. So yes, everyone's taxes went up. And yes, the payroll tax is at least technically designated for social security funding.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Ballz posted:

Not really. Neither side wanted it. It was originally only meant to last a year (2011) but then got a one-year extension in 2012. The payroll tax rate is back to what it was just a couple of years ago and while it sucks, it's not something anyone should be surprised over.

I was having lunch with a friend and some people she knew last week and one of them was up in arms about Obama going back on his promise not to raise the taxes on her paycheck.

Of course then she started talking about her daughter's new boyfriend in a disapproving tone and wouldn't explain her reservations before finally just pulling out her phone and showing a picture of them together while saying 'see what I mean?' Took me a second to notice what I was supposed to be seeing before realizing, oh, it's because he's black. So, I somewhat doubt the sincerity of her economic argument.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Install Gentoo posted:

HENRY -
A buzzword coined in a 2003 Fortune Magazine article to refer to a segment of families earning between $250,000 and $500,000, but not having much left after taxes, schooling, housing and family costs - not to mention saving for an affluent retirement. The original article in which the "high earners, not rich yet (HENRYs)" term appeared discussed the alternative minimum tax (AMT) and how hard it hits this group of people.

More often than not it's used as a kind of insult by people with large amounts of generational wealth, along the lines of 'new money'.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Business Gorillas posted:

I heard something like this a couple weeks ago when I was casually driving around in Cleveland. It was just a regular rush-hour humor show but someone apparently e-mailed them about how Sandy Hook was a conspiracy created by Obama to take away ARE GUNS and how the shootings were done by 2 black ops members or some insane poo poo. I listened to it for about 5 minutes before I shut it off, since one of the people who ran the show apparently believed it and it got really disgusting really fast.

Maybe its trying to give nods to that?

Original media reports, along with identifying the wrong brother as the shooter, reported that he had two pistols on his person and the ar15 was in his car. A lot of the reports were co fused and contradictory as the story developed and every media outlet was trying to be the first to break the news

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

watt par posted:

People who work in certain areas in finance.

Also pretty much all graduates from one of a few tier 1 colleges that run an MBA degree heavily stocked by a legacy admission program. Like, almost immediately out of college

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

That graphic is stunningly out of touch. Are those really typical Wall Street Journal readers? Is *that* their median demographic?

Out of touch assholes and college students who were forced into a subscription for class exercises and don't understand how the world works definitely are their primary demographic.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Radio Nowhere posted:

So the latest thing around my right-wing dominated workplace is a 30 minute YouTube video on the "Sandy Hook Conspiracy" where I guess the conclusion is it's all a plot for Obama to take ARE GUNS or something. The only point they seem to harp on is the gun claimed to be used in the shooting is shown in a video being pulled out of a car trunk. I'm sure it's all bullshit and I'm sure not watching it but has anyone else heard about/seen this? It's taken as fact around here and I just don't know enough (or care) to rebut.

Check the PYF idiots on facebook thread. The whole sandy hook conspiracy thing has been cranked up to 11 for the past week or two. Your workplace is actually pretty slow on the lunatic conspiracy uptake.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Good news everyone! Neal Boortz, king libertarian assclown is retiring/being forced out/something and Herman Cain is replacing him. If you aren't already a victim of conservative talk radio, you might want to start listening because this poo poo is going to be amazing.

I've listened to Cain fill in for other hosts several times and he isn't any more entertaining than the other guys, sadly. He's like a more generic and slightly less religion focused version of Glenn Beck when he's trying to fill 3 hours with inane chatter.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Spacedad posted:

Yes, conservatives totally know what's 'hip' and 'cool.'

Here is my badly drawn rough approximation of how modern conservatives see the 'hip kids' in 2013:

We actually have one of those already

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Vertical Lime posted:

I have some good news for those who don't like whatever relevance Sarah Palin has left via her Fox News gig:

I can't imagine anyone is surprised by this. The only time I can remember them even using her recently was on election night and at that point she looked like she had gotten hooked on coke/meth/diet pills or something.

I'm sure everyone here has seen it but https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jb_r8lQgG1g

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

SiriusXM just recently got rid of Fox News Talk. I listened to this station every week day so I could argue with my car radio. Most of the hosts were generally not disturbing like hannity or rush (with exception of Brian kilmeade who was more irritating than anyone else) so I could listen to them without shouting.

I think I am going through withdrawals because I actually miss it.

Well at least there's still Patriot talk

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

greatn posted:

Their confrontation interviews aren't amazing, but their coverage of various legislative events and world events is both incisive and informative. And interviews with authors who have books of substance are quite good.

Take a look at some of Colbert's coverage of super Pacs, it is really good stuff.

I thought the interview of Betsy "Death Panels" McCaughey was pretty entertaining if not a straight-up 'confrontation' interview. She came out with her big binder of Obamacare expecting everyone to be impressed and ended up looking pretty drat foolish.

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/thu-august-20-2009/betsy-mccaughey-pt--1

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Warchicken posted:

So I guess it's payday for a lot of people, and I'm seeing a lot of people claim their checks are way smaller now because of obama. Even have one guy claiming he pays 600 more per month in taxes now due to the medicare and social security taxes.

I looked it up, and those combined would be 2.9 percent increase in taxes, which would mean he was paying 240,000 in taxes PER YEAR if a 2.9 tax increase meant 600 more per month. Am I going crazy here, or is he just completely lying?

Depends. Remember there's a cap on the social security taxes so its not a straight 2.9 increase all the way up. So in that way it's unlikely. The one exception is if he's self employed and paying on both the worker and employer side for FICA

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

thefncrow posted:

Not really. The 2% cut was employee-side only, so even on the Self-Employment tax it is still just a 2% increase, plus the employer side of the SS portion of the Self-Employment tax stops at the ~113K cutoff just like the employee side.

I wasn't aware of that. So yeah, that guy is either full of poo poo or is making such a ludicrous amount of money that you should laugh in his face about crying over $600

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Sephyr posted:

Didn't 5 out of 7 republican primary candidates keep their hands down when asked if they believed Evolution was a sound theory in the primary debates back in 2011?

It was 2007 and you're exaggerating the numbers a bit. It was 3 out of around 10 candidates on stage that raised their hands to say they didn't believe in evolution

It was Huckabee, Tancredo, and Brownback

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Not to mention that there really isn't anywhere else in the world where you can enjoy all the perks of a well developed western society with lower taxes. The only 'moving off shore' argument that holds any water is in relation to business operations and the corporate tax rate.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Sean Archer posted:

I'm curious to where all this liberal biased "Facebook censorship" is taking place because half my news feed is viral right-wing media now.

People questioning their facts and reporting pictures of actual lynchings, mostly

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

I think that has a lot to do with the 25-54 parameter

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Barudak posted:

Exactly this. Fox News is still the ratings leader, but among the 25-54 demographic they're dying which makes perfect sense. Expect within the decade a rather hefty overhaul of the programming as investors don't like seeing long term demographic down-trends. Especially when they segment Fox has cornered is primarily lower purchasing power and less trips made shopping habits.

They could go the AM radio route where every single commercial is for gold, ID theft protection, tax cheat defenders, and penis pills. I call it the protection and erections model

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Minorities posted:

Facebook has a "Hide" feature.

This is a thread full of people who willingly subject themselves to AM radio and Fox News. Hiding dumb conservative talking points probably isn't high on our priority lists.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Dr Christmas posted:

As a non-gun person myself, I picture non-gun person Republicans smugly pointing out that he can't be skeet shooting because he isn't aiming up.

There's already articles like this up all over the place
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/01/30/obama-keet-shooting-all-time-hardly-sources-say/

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

kik2dagroin posted:

I can't help but think this was a troll on Limbaugh's show that just failed to get him to say anything beyond the disingenuous :tinfoil: nonsense it comes off as

Caller calls in, fellates Rush a bit and gets to the juicy stuff

Sarah Palin wasn't even the one who came up with 'death panels' rhetoric. It was Betsy McCaughey.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Spacedad posted:

Dick "Mudslide all over my face" Morris is at it again, this time with some totally original and not at all racist, ignorant, and unoriginal made-up ideas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmyRwkW4MHU

I'm so glad Dick Morris has finally reached the point where even his being associated with the Clintons and willing to spout republican nonsense can't get him a job outside of 'crazy person on YouTube'

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Seoinin posted:

So has Miller switched up his routine since going crazy? I can't imagine his whole "I don't want to go off on a rant here, but Obama's State of the Union was so self-aggrandizing it made the Res Gestae Divi Augusti look like a zen koan about annihilation of the self" schtick playing with the Freep crowd.

Nope, he's still running with the same bit and his show is really boring and unremarkable. Most of the stations that even bother to air the show do it late in the evening.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Cordyceps Headache posted:

1865-1776 = 89 years

What is he talking about?

Probably the end of the British slave trade which is the only date that even sort of matches up. That'd be 1776-1807 so he's only a year off if that's what he's trying to say. Not that what he's trying to say makes any more sense even giving him the benefit of the doubt. It's probably easier to just assume Cain is an idiot.

Good Citizen fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Feb 12, 2013

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

BiggerBoat posted:

What...?

To move the thread along, has anyone caught any of Herman Cain's show since he took over for Boortz? I'm surprised at how dull, unsationalistic and meandering it is. There's really hardly anything to it, which is weird given what a P.T. Barnum kook Cain is and with how far Boortz managed to set the bar once he announced his retirement and stopped giving a poo poo what he said.

I expected Herman to grasp the baton and really ratchet up the crazy but from what I've heard of his show so far, it's not even interesting enough to make me angry. It's just sort of there if you have some time to fill. Sort of like his pizza, come to think of it.

He's filled in for other hosts before and he has always been incredibly boring and uninspired. I'm not the least bit shocked that that hasn't changed

In other pundit related news, Fox news on satellite's last day is today. The host for Fox Across America has spent the last few days whining on air about how the phone lines are completely empty and that they'll never get to talk to him again after today. I guess he's satellite only and didn't have any affiliates so his rear end is getting booted right out onto the street. It has been pretty amusing to listen to.

Good Citizen fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Feb 15, 2013

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

CowOnCrack posted:

I noticed something about Fox News pundit shows - the people they have on from the "democratic" side just act funny to me. Are these real democrats or just Fox News people/actors posing as democrats? Often it seems they are there to make Hannity/O'reilly/whoever's arguments look good and the other side look bad (ala Colmes).

Sort of. Fox News democrats are usually odd looking, really extreme, really meek, or someone who was associated with a prominent democrat but is now disgraced and willing to parrot talking points.

The end goal is always to make the republican side look good

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Rush has pretty much spent the whole day talking about how the sequester really isn't all that bad. Declaring that there's no way $85b could cost 750k jobs. Apparently making around $100k a year is completely unimaginable to him?

Anyway, I'm already starting to miss Fox News talk on satellite radio. Glenn Beck in the morning is just so loving boring. He has his moments of angry indignant ranting but so much of his morning show is inane personal banter with his supporting host(s). It's like he can't decide if he wants to go morning zoo or right wing AM and doesn't do either very well. He's more concerned with expanding his media network than he is with running his own show and its showing. He needs to pick a direction and stick with it. (Ideally that direction will be to go away forever, but if he's going to stick around then he might as well do it right)

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Radbot posted:

I thought cuts were a good thing? Why are they blaming Obama for something they like?

It's both at the same time until we can observe the fallout. It's schrodinger's stance

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

The last 24 hours of 'push Jeb Bush as a serious candidate' have been pretty funny. The people questioning whether his appeal to immigrants will cause a split in the primary with Rubio. The people who can't decide if Bush was right in saying that the Republicans have lost their way. The people calling into the radio shows that almost universally declare him a RINO and talk about how they actually need another Reagan or Goldwater.

All of these have been pretty funny, but the funniest thing of all is people completely ignoring the fact that his last name is Bush and that fucks him right out of the gate

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

The best part is that even if Laffer is right (he is not), tax cuts would only increase revenue in certain constrained situations by his own theory's lights, and by his own theory's lights, raising taxes will sometimes raise revenues. And even if it's right, the shape of the Laffer curve is unknown, so we don't know where the 'sweet spot' would be, which means that cutting taxes because Laffer said so is just plain-old stupid ideology that's not backed even by their own voodoo economics!

I had to sit through an Economics lecture recently that seriously discussed the Laffer curve like it was a real thing and it was pretty hard to keep my mouth shut. At least the professor was honest enough to say that all the data shows the tax cuts justified by the Laffer curve in the 80's didn't increase revenue so it was clear that we were on the 'left side' of the curve. I asked if there was any data at all that showed a case where a country was clearly on the 'right side' and lowering tax rates increased revenue and he said he'd get back to me. Never did, though.

I'm not completely against the concept of the Laffer curve but in order for it to work you need to assume certain things about income and substitution effects and completely ignore that every major country uses marginal tax brackets instead of flat rates. In a completely make-believe country that fits all the assumptions and conditions, the math checks out at least. In reality its just another one of those stupid oversimplified Econ line charts that people who don't understand Economics point to when it fits their agenda.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

The clearest example I know of is in the case of "sin taxes" on things like cigarettes. See http://tigger.uic.edu/~fjc/Presentations/Papers/taxes_consump_rev.pdf . Such very high tax rates clearly do reduce consumption. Note that in those cases you're usually talking about tax rates in excess of 100% of the value of the product, though, or even higher.

Well, yeah, but that's not really what the Laffer curve is about. It's a chart of government revenue vs tax rates, not consumption vs tax rates. That study doesn't seem to talk about whether revenue decreases from fewer purchases of cigarettes was offset by increased revenue on the cigarettes that people were still buying. At least I didn't see anything in a Ctrl+f for revenue and a quick scan.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Fair point, but that at least demonstrates a drop in purchase rates. An actual drop in revenue would require an even more dramatic drop in purchase rates (presumably).

That's just a demonstration of elastic demand and while that's one of the underlying assumptions of the Laffer curve, it doesn't address what the Laffer curve is trying to prove.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

More amusing than the pundits doing a 180 on gay marriage are the ones doubling down against it. These people know that their ratings have nothing to do with taking the palatable position and like usual talk radio is at the forefront. While stuck in traffic going to and from work over the last few days I got to hear both Mike Galagher and Mark Levin doubling down extra hard and it was pretty great. Mike even took calls on the subject which was predictably hilarious. I heard everything from libertarian government contract nonsense to full blown religious die hards