Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

Spacedad posted:

The only thing worse than a sexist pig is a sexist pig who tries to duck responsibility for his actions by projecting his sexism onto those fighting against sexism:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfjE1GWcHWc

This is of course the same guy who blathered lurid sex fantasy acts on the air about a woman who he wanted to call a whore for defending women's health care procedures using contraceptive devices that wasn't even related to sex. (Such as their use in cervical operations.)

I heard this live the other day not knowing if it was a parody or not. Guess that answers that, oye.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010
Glenn Beck seems to be crying and reading poetry right now? I'm AM dial flipping to get a sense of right wing talk reaction. Laura Ingraham threw Romney under the bus as a terrible candidate and is going to teach the GOP what real conservatism is. The local yacker had the most grounded reaction to his crybaby doom-and-gloom callers, suck it up and move on.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

BiggerBoat posted:

Rush" "Why don't 'we' get credit for Condaleeza Rice?" whatever that means.

The GOP has the good black people and the mainstream liberal media never gives them credit for it. That was his "you are the real racists libs!" point.

Now excuse me, I'm off to get my Obama-check and Obama-phone promised to me from the gubbermit teet.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010
Oh only NOW are we really going to see dirty politics in elections. Obama!

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

the2ndgenesis posted:

So how soon until he is crucified by the rest of the Republican media universe?

Isn't he already a RINO since he's on MSNBC?

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010
Obama will be submitting gun control proposals to congress, is the rightwing mediasphere screaming bloody murder about "ARE GUNS" (well way more then usual)? Can't really check the usual radio/TV sources right now. I'm sure prime listening to Limbaugh or Alex Jones right now.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

DaveWoo posted:

The latest right-wing media thing: Concussion-Gate.

Is there anything these paranoid idiots won't try to make a conspiracy out of?

It'll go as well as Michael J. Fox's fake shaking.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010
So the latest thing around my right-wing dominated workplace is a 30 minute YouTube video on the "Sandy Hook Conspiracy" where I guess the conclusion is it's all a plot for Obama to take ARE GUNS or something. The only point they seem to harp on is the gun claimed to be used in the shooting is shown in a video being pulled out of a car trunk. I'm sure it's all bullshit and I'm sure not watching it but has anyone else heard about/seen this? It's taken as fact around here and I just don't know enough (or care) to rebut.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

Good Citizen posted:

Check the PYF idiots on facebook thread. The whole sandy hook conspiracy thing has been cranked up to 11 for the past week or two. Your workplace is actually pretty slow on the lunatic conspiracy uptake.

Maybe they've been talking about it longer among themselves, somehow it slipped out today at lunch. I'm sorta persona non grata in many political conversations here since I don't toe whatever line is being fed to them by AM Radio and Fox News. I purified my Facebook wall last summer when the election ratcheted up so guess I missed this YouTube video there too. I'm use to the Limbaugh/Hannity type stuff in my office, not so much the Alex Jones level of crap I heard today.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

Kieselguhr Kid posted:

Yes, the normal reaction to Ramirez comics is wanting to seize him by the throat.

When libs get emotional that means conservatives won :smug:

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

Vertical Lime posted:

On a related note, I heard their co-owned right wing talk station in DC was singled out by the company for under-performing even though they did make the FM switch. You can only put up with hearing the same viewpoints for so long.

Yep WMAL moved to a FM simulcast over a year ago and the ratings overall since then have gone DOWN. Maybe there's the slightest chance the demos improved but when the overall audience goes down when moving to a better signal and medium maybe they should reconsider what they're doing.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

Install Gentoo posted:

There's also that you can receive a basic AM station a lot further and more consistently in a service area then FM, and I'd bet a lot of the "move the talker to FM" things end up with having less reception in the given radio market.

Now of course, WMAL is still simulcast, so they do still have all that range. But for other stations that have moved entirely to FM, this is probably part of why they struggle even more for ratings.

In a perfect situation you're right. But AM suffers terribly from interference indoors (electronic gadget noise) and poorer AM radios if a radio even has AM. Also ratings only matter in the home market, not if a AM signal can be picked up 100 miles away on the eastern shore (using WMAL-AM). WMAL-FM made the station easier to find and hear overall in the DC market and the ratings went down. WTOP did this, moving from a strong AM signal to FM signal, and their ratings went way up. So not a signal issue, totally programming problems. Maybe government employees don't want to listen to a station totally poo poo on them 24/7 ?

Edit: 20 minutes into Limbaugh's Moo-chelle rant ...

Radio Nowhere fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Feb 25, 2013

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

The_Raven posted:

C'mon, you don't think someone hadn't thought of that already? CC got beat to the punch...

http://www.boston.com/business/articles/2011/07/01/china_radio_takes_to_the_airwaves_in_boston/

China Radio is in a few US markets, DC and Houston come come to mind (there's certainly many others). They buy time on leased AM stations. Their communist content is more informative and less offensive then the media wing of a major US political party.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

Phone posted:

I'm housesitting this weekend and have access to television~~~.

Since Regular Show stopped playing on Cartoon Network last night, I found Democracy Now! and then had Free Speech TV in the background for like 3 hours while I got some work done. It's pretty interesting to see the difference between major network TV and FSTV, but it's also kind of embarrassing seeing the low production values. I found it interesting that it's also has no commercials; however, it fits directly into their MO.

I want to watch channels like FSTV and Link TV but the lack of production values (likely b/c of lack of money) makes it hard. Same goes for liberal radio stations like Pacifica and low power outlets like this.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010
In DC Pacifica's WPFW is the only station doing real jazz so very thankful it exists. 3 months ago the station almost dropped afternoon music programming for NPR talk shows but the backlash stopped that. It really was unnecessary since WAMU has the NPR news/talk thing down 24/7.

Houston's KPFT is the only station I know of that has actually been bombed, twice! Reading the wiki page there has been other attacks also, even recently. Not sure why I'm surprised a leftist media outlet gets physically attacked in Texas. I've not heard of any leftists physically attacking right-wing radio, a few years ago I did hear about environmentalists knocking down some towers for a AM sports-talker. They didn't hate the programming; just the destroyed land and I suppose radiation. :tinfoil:

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

towelieban posted:

Let's please get this thread back on track.

I was listening to Chris Plant today (re-broadcast from this week on local station in Northern Va) and he was talking about how Rupublicans are the ones that want to help the poor move on up in society and economically (boostraps, baby!) and the Democraps want to keep them poor as to get their votes. Anyone else get this yahoo on their radio station? I beleive he comes on before Rush "Im about to Gush" Limbaugh

Chris Plant is only on WMAL AM/FM in the DC area, but of course is online for anyone who wants to kill brain cells listen.

http://www.wmal.com/

The few times I've listened he's a DC local hack, not good enough for syndication yet somehow remains on-air here. There was some discussion of WMAL's continuing decline as a radio station even AFTER moving to FM. WMAL is basically a few local hack morning hosts with the rest of their schedule filled with satellite programming. Golly it's like government-based employees in the DC area don't want to listen to their livelihoods be poo poo on while commuting, who thunk it!? Wish the half-dozen or so conservative-yack radio stations in this market would figure that out ...

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010
Well Dick Morris has "bounced back" doing radio in Philly.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/media/2013/03/dick-morris-named-wpht-afternoon-host-159316.html

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

Pope Guilty posted:

I remember hearing her on Air America back in the day. I'm kind of surprised she's still at it.

She's actually syndicated by Premiere now, aka Clear Channel.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

Mr Interweb posted:

I know she's not really enjoyed, even by liberals, but I like her. :smith:

I listen to her once in awhile. Sometimes it's cathartic to hear a visceral liberal reaction of something horrible the republicans have done. Mike Malloy is better at it though.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

Taerkar posted:

Well you see it's like this. Something HAD TO HAVE HAPPENED because OBAMA IS BAD, and we want it to happen so CLEARLY IT DID.

I had to turn Limbaugh off after thirty minutes today because of the Benghazi repetition. I wasn't even offended, just bored. I instead listened to Alex Jones and his neverending "black ops" theories. At least he can change a topic.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

mr. mephistopheles posted:

I had hoped the local guy would be a little more sensible than the national locksteppers. He occasionally does say some things that portray more self-awareness than guys like Hannity and Limbaugh.

Jerry Doyle is a national show, just not a very popular one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerry_Doyle

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

Radish posted:

To be fair Skittles commercials are getting more and more hosed up.

TASTE THE RAINBOW! :commissar:

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

Good Citizen posted:

XM already has Hannity on their patriot station.

Hannity has been on XM since day 1 sadly, even before the service had a dedicated right-wing channel(s). Speaking of satellite radio their left channel just changed from SiriusXM Left to SiriusXM Progress with more boring in-house programming replacing the syndicated stuff. Also the ClearChannel channels are getting dropped next month, so that wipes out like 2-3 channels of right wing gasbags! Sadly this also kills Coast2Coast AM on XM, the only live non-sports non-hack show on at late night. Back to AM radio I guess!

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

OMG JC a Bomb! posted:

Hahaha, Jesus. Andrew Wilkow is saying that school nurses are going to start performing abortions. I love this poo poo.

I hear Lunchlady Doris saying "I get two paychecks this way."

Today was a weird day checking AM radio. Glenn Beck was going on and on about moral failure because of Miley Cyrus' twerking. Not long after that Rush Limbaugh was talking about butt plugs and vibrators.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

Chernobyl Prize posted:

Who was subbing for Levin today? I only got to hear him for 10 min or so but I swear I heard him say something about Obama being associated with the muslim brotherhood.

Edit: It was Tom Marr but I have no idea who he is.

He's a local gasbag in Baltimore. He's usually just bitching about Maryland taxes and how horrible the current governor is, guess he's dipping his foot nationally.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

Monkey Fracas posted:

Remember all the bitching about "healthy" lunches not being enough food for kids?

I do.

Yea but that's First "Lady" Obama's fault! She needs to be held accountable for her healthyterrible suggestionsactions! :downswords:

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010
So far I've just read predictable website comments and some online opinion pieces on the water initiative. I predict a smug Sean Hannity calling it a government waste of time and money to advocate something obvious because that's what liberals do right? Or something like that. Palin will hand out sodas at schools.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I don't know man you're the one gettin paid to talk about poo poo and you're in charge of this show. She's a figurehead mom who's following in a tradition of first ladies doing puff projects.

Yea but she's a hypocrite because she drank a soda once!

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

Taerkar posted:

That's not being offended by him saying "gyp", that's them being offended by him being President.

That explains the whole teleprompter thing as well. Can you believe this guy is reading words to us!?

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010
Not quite right wing media per say, but I'm on vacation staying with the in-laws and they must have CNN on anytime possible. Piers Morgan is on with the typical panel setup complete with Grover Norquist. My wife is almost having an aneurysm listening to the crap CNN is letting him spew without question it seems for "fairness" and all my in-laws give to her is "this is what it means to be fair and balanced". Generally the in-laws votes democratic and blame this shutdown on the GOP, I guess we're just disturbed that listening to outright lies on basic facts is their view of balanced. Either they have more wisdom then us or they really believe the GOP has the slightest point in all this. gently caress CNN is horrible, I'd almost rather watch Fox News which is almost comical at this point then this mass perceived "balanced" news channel that balances poo poo with facts. None of this surprises me, just venting I guess. It needs to stop raining here.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

BiggerBoat posted:

CNN and even NPR have bent over backwards to present this as a "both sides are to blame" argument so give me a motherfucking break here.

But but but because they present both sides and not only the obvious offenderGOP's its not fair you see! Fox News and AM talk radio told me so ....

All I can say is I'm done seeing Ted Cruz for awhile. Even C-Span seemed to be his poo poo on a loop.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

Vertical Lime posted:

Or Hannity uses a song about domestic abuse as another theme:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VPpAZ9_qAw

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Independence_Day_(Martina_McBride_song)

Then again, Martina did perform it at his freedom concerts. That's the country music mindset for you.

Well the government taking your hard earned money, that's like domestic abuse! :colbert:

Radio Nowhere fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Oct 19, 2013

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

Good Citizen posted:

Is she even around anymore? I thought she mostly disappeared after dropping like a dozen n-bombs on a black caller
http://youtu.be/F_MGntFSAuo

She's deep in the bowels of satellite radio where nobody can find her.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010
To understand the other political view I tried to only follow conservative media for a few days. I did Fox News or Fox Business on TV, a few right wing talk stations on radio, and popular right wing websites. I remember half a day into it the feeling of negativity and despair influencing me despite knowing most of it is bullshit. I gave up into the second day because it was actually making me irate in general. It was a slow time so it was only Benghazi and Obamacare on repeat. I hope I don't get that angry when I'm old to find this stuff enjoyable, ugh.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

Lycus posted:

Have any other conservatives said a word about White Jesus, or are they staying away from that one?

Backing down is showing weakness so I'm sure plenty of lovely conservative commentators will parrot this too.

Also applies to this
VV

Radio Nowhere fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Dec 14, 2013

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

FuzzySkinner posted:

Because I was driving to and from Columbus, I literally heard this on an AFA affiliate that has a bizarrely strong signal within that region.

I've caught this shitstain of a radio network driving through rural areas too. It's probably the first "Christian" station I've heard that's had 0% actual religious content EVERY time I've tuned in. It's always political and social whining that society has moved forward since .... the 1800's? They don't seem to even cite the bible, they just know what Jesus wants. Good thing the SPLC labels them as a hate group, not that their audience would know or care.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

LP97S posted:

What fine? It's cable, the FCC literally cannot do anything about sex, language, or violence to them. TBS could start airing Game of Thrones tomorrow and the FCC couldn't do jack poo poo.

Basic cable mainly self-censors for advertising. We can't have Comedy Central let loose an obvious gently caress rather than a bleep now can we, little Timmy could hear that next to a Huggies commercial!

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

The Angry Bum posted:

So how did Obama kill him like he did with Andrew Breitbart? Can not wait until Conservative media blames it on Obamacare.

If Obama's death panels were real certainly the father of conservative talk would be rounded up first.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

HootTheOwl posted:

EDIT:
Sean Hannity has been offically replaced with Savage in Chicago as of the new year, and gentlemen: It's glorious.

In DC Hannity got demoted from FM to a dinkwatt AM when Savage replaced him. I caught some of Hannity on XM where he went on about a corporate secret or something on a "competing 2 hour show" that would be bad if it got out. Bitter much Sean?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

Good Citizen posted:

That is a picture looking outside through a glass door to the porch. You can sort of see the railing along the bottom right of the picture

The Mist is real but instead of dimensional monsters it's cheap consumer goods.