Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

MoraleHazard posted:

Lastly, a question. Is there a liberal media news aggregation site that's like Drudge?

Huffington Post and Salon.com come to mind, though they're not nearly as influential amongst liberals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

bigtom posted:

One of the few with HD Radios - I have one in my car, and whenever I go under an overpass it blends to analog fuzz.

I work for a 50,000 AM talk station that runs many of these horrible programs (Gallagher, Huckabee, Dave Ramsey, etc), and the only reason we run them is because the syndicator (Dial Global, Premiere & Cumulus) PAYS us just so that their spots get cleared in a major market.

Conservative talk radio breathed new life into am 20 years ago, but now that entire generations have grown up hating AM, their lease on life is getting short. And simply switching to FM won't solve it - Rush on FM doesn't do any better with the money demos (25-54 M/F) than on AM. Straight news gets great ratings on FM (WTOP in Washington DC, KCBS in San Francisco, WBUR in Boston to name a few). That's why you hear ads for gold, health care, Life Lock, and other barely legal companies on all these programs. FWIW, not many people who work at the station believe anything they are saying - it's just business.

The fact that Rush and the rest of them can't young up the demos gives me a small glimmer of hope for the future - and by the same token WNYC in NY gets better ratings than WOR/WABC in the money demos. Time is not on their side, but Clear Channel/Cumulus are just willing to run this type of programming to grab whatever cash they can till the ad agencies quit buying.

In the meantime, I just have to resist the urge to dump the transmitter plate current whenever we are off the bird...

I'm 33, and even the republicans that I know who are my age mostly listen to NPR. Of course, NPR is pretty non-partisan by comparison to the programs that we're talking about in this thread. Also "Science Friday" is the poo poo, and even conservatives recognize that.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

infinity2005 posted:

RT seems to have some interesting content though at least, and i don't find it that biased.. if you 'unskew' (can't think of a better word) the obvious pro-Russia opinions or little digs at certain groups in what they choose to report on then i think it's good, although i've only been watching for a short time. Fox is just straight up powering nonsense into your face all day and being dishonest about it.

I can't take RT at all seriously as a news organization after reading the Middle East thread. RT is right down there with Prison Planet with me.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yeah, during the '04 election in particular, right-wingers were getting really pissy if anyone criticized Bush over the Iraq war. I'm still convinced that if the election had been a year later he would have lost, thanks to Katrina and the Iraq situation spiraling into civil war by then.

I'm still rather glad that Kerry lost that one. If he'd won, the democrats would've gotten the blame for the Iraq mess and the financial meltdown. We'd all be living in a right-wing "golden" age.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Solkanar512 posted:

I think this is incredibly cynical.

It's possible to be too cynical about politicians, but I don't think that anyone can mistake Christie's very obvious 2016 presidential ambitions. It might very well be that he's just grateful for the help, but it's not tinfoil hat country to think that he's working more than one angle.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Typical Pubbie posted:

The one I hear a lot is Romney lost momentum because of Sandy. God must be a secret Muslim too.

Just point out that the post-storm polls didn't change much from the pre-storm polls. Obama had clenched it by the end of October.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Frostwerks posted:

Damnit, I'd almost lucked up and had Krauthammer escape from my memory. Does he have a show as well or is he just someone that FoxNews rolls out to grant some semblance of legitimacy to whatever horseshit talking point they're harping on at the moment?

Either way, I hope someone pushes him into traffic.

Charlie the K? I'm pretty sure he just grouches in a Washington Post column and makes money on speaking fees. He must be almost 800 years old now, so that probably fills his schedule.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Nonsense posted:

I'm pretty disappointed he even felt like that. That's loving disgusting.

I felt much the same way. Hell, check out the SA thread from 9/11 and you'll see a lot of the same attitude.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Spaceman Future! posted:

Pretty sure the default human position when you feel threatened and have no idea the extent of that threat is to move to a much more aggressive position, its a natural response. With 9/11 it was unexpected and for quite the general public had no idea exactly who was responsible and what they were capable of, so even people who are typically more passive were chomping at the bit to bomb the hell out of someone.

It didn't help that the internet and the media were reporting some wild poo poo in the morning/early afternoon of 9/11. I heard stories about terrorists shooting it out with the Secret Service over at the Capitol in Washington, I heard that there were upwards of 20 planes that weren't responding to transmissions, I heard that US embassies were being attacked all over the world. It was pretty intense and terrifying for the first few hours.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Spacedad posted:

Yeah, it was a time when the lunatics were running the asylum - and it took the shock of katrina incompetence + the EXTENDED disaster of the iraq and other wars + the 2008 crash to wake people up to the fact that the American right really doesn't have a loving clue how to run a country.

The Bush admin is already going down in history as one of the most hated administrations ever - and it's entirely deserved. We're not going to fully recover from the extensive damage they did for decades.

He's no James Buchanan, but Bush was certainly the worst in my lifetime.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Onion Knight posted:

I don't think you even need to go so far as "grown up", I think this is why many poorer people vote conservative - they look at what they have and think "I can't afford to share! I'd be destitute!" I grew up in an incredibly conservative extended family and the "plenty and wealth of the modern world" just plain does not factor in to the mathematics of it all. All of that stuff exists as infrastructure, somewhere else. All of the wealth and excess we see in our day-to-day life are necessary components of the machine that makes America the best country in the history of the world.
The only assets Obama wants to redistribute are YOUR assets (or, worse still, dismantle the machine!).

I think I'm a little more sympathetic than most because of my family, but I really believe that for most poor to middle conservatives//Republican voters FYGM mentality doesn't factor in to it -- they're entirely dominated by fear. Fear that the lazy poor criminal is going to take all of their money and roll around in a government Lexus while they and their family starve on the street, fear that reducing the defense budget means invasion of an unstoppable army of religious warriors so devout they'll kill themselves to kill you, fear that even the slightest increases of taxation drives you into unemployment overnight.

Of course, if you think about any of that for one single goddamn second you realize it's all absolute nonsense, but peoples' lives are so utterly dominated by this sort of thing because it creates a positive feedback loop, and you always, ALWAYS have a media source you can tune into to see that not only are your deepest fears legitimate, but it's worse than you imagined.
I'm glad that this thread exists, but I think some posters are maybe a little too spiteful towards the rank-and-file conservative. Not to absolve them of blame for their backwards, hateful opinions, but what the right wing media does is, I think, so much more disgusting than we give them credit for even here. I can only imagine how much mental anguish guys like Beck and O'Riley and Hannity have caused over the last few years.

I despise the right-wing media less for their horrible opinions than for the way that they cynically abuse and manipulate their audience to wring cash out of them. What's worse is that their audience gets nothing in return except a worthless certificate, or a gimmie hat, or just a gnawing suspicion that they didn't give enough to defeat whatever godless horde is just over the horizon. I pity rank-and-file right-wingers even more than I hold them in contempt.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

BiggerBoat posted:

I hate this whole "the left wing does the same thing" bullshit. Even Michael Moore through his worst slight of hand film making never made anything like "Dreams of My Real Father" or whatever that "2016 Obama's America" movie was.

Agreed that he's not as big a piece of poo poo as Dinesh D'Souza, but I still don't have much use for Michael Moore. I remember watching Farenheit 9/11, and it opens with him talking wistfully about how Gore nearly won the 2000 election. That always bothers the gently caress out of me because Moore was one of the biggest boosters for Nader's quixotic 2000 election bid and spent most of that election season attacking Gore from the left.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

She feels like it ought to be the truth, or she heard it from someone else who thinks like her, so it must be the truth. Political partisans of all stripes do it all the time.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

I have his book on order. I understand he spends a lot of time beating the tar out of Tommy Franks' record, and I'm looking forward to reading it.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Then there's Megyn Kelly, who is A)a favorite of Ailes and B)has a contract coming up sometime in the next year or so. Even though she can be just as much of a conservative partisan hack as the next Fox News talking head, you'd have to think snagging her would be quite the coup for CNN (who would likely give her her own show) or even MSNBC (who I could very easily see pairing her up with a more liberal commentator, in their version of "Hannity & Colmes"). That said, I see Ailes pretty much giving her whatever she wants in order to keep her (which would likely be Greta Van Susteren's show, since she's getting trounced in the ratings by Lawrence O'Donnell as of late).

I never understood what it was that gave Greta Van Sustren so much juice in the industry. In 2008 she became BFF's with Sarah Palin and basically acted as her media rep until she figured out that Palin wasn't going to run in 2012, but I can't think of a single memorable piece of journalism that she's done either at FOX or CNN.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Mitchicon posted:

I can't imagine what would have happened had Petraeus run and then the scandal broke. FOX would have blamed Obama somehow.

I'm sure the affair was part of the reason that he didn't run. There's no way that the affair wouldn't come out during a presidential race.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

TheQat posted:

Yeah, one thing that's particularly disturbing about having in-laws immersed in right-wing media is that they will openly call liberals "stupid" or "insane" in front of my wife and I (we are both quite left-leaning). I know for a fact they get all their talking points verbatim from Fox News and Beck's radio show. In a way it's the ultimate iteration of conservatives projecting their flaws onto liberals

If they're big Beck listeners, just ask them to tell you about Agenda 21 sometime. It's at least an hours worth of entertainment to listen to shitheads talk about how a non-binding UN resolution from the early 1990's is actually a blueprint for the NWO.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

VideoTapir posted:

One of the Koch brothers sometimes sponsors Nova.

They also donate generously to cancer research. If they ever decided to turn their attention to disease and poverty instead of playing politics, they could have a stunningly positive effect on the world.

And while I'm wishing for things I'd like breakfast in bed and the day off.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Install Gentoo posted:

For all that people talk up Clear Channel, they only own 850 stations. There are 11,020 AM + commercial full power FM stations in the country, so they have 7.7% of those.

And all of the billboards.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

BanjoFish posted:

Do you all consider Alex Jones to be a part of the dittohead complex? I live in Austin, and so when I turn to talk radio it's him most of the time. He has a veneer of being outside the left/right paradigm, but he still invokes fear and anger in his listeners, same as any AM host. He's pretty Bircher-y too, obviously.

Today Alex was smugging about a cat parasite which (he believes) is the central cause of depression and suicide in humans. Alex has known about this parasite for ages, and now everyone else is just catching on, so he was feeling pretty good about himself. The parasite is also why he doesn't like cats.

The more I listen to it, the more I understand how his listeners, and most right wing radio listeners generally, must feel. These people live in a very dark, fearful psychic space. The world is closing in on them at every turn. Soon there will be bread lines and runaway inflation and their cats will make them commit suicide. Nothing they can do will stop the tide, so they might as well take advantage of Alex's branded apocalypse merchandise and the cycle continues. It's really, really sad.

And now I've come away feeling sort of sorry for these people when I just want to laugh. :emo:

I don't know if Alex Jones has a particular political base other than the paranoid nuts who populate Prisonplanet.com. From the very little that I know about him I think he falls under the libertarian/populist banner, but his ideas are so far out and kooky that I can't ascribe them to either the left or the right.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Mind backing your claims about how it was an accident or that a South Korean court would be a show trial.

It was a terrible accident, but it was certainly accidental. The two operators were tried in a court martial and found not guilty of negligent homicide.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Crasscrab posted:

It's something that wouldn't have happened if large, military grade vehicles weren't barreling down a civilian road in a country that isn't their own.

The problem wasn't so much speed as it was communication between the AFV's commander and driver. The commander saw the kids, the driver didn't. The commander attempted to warn the driver, but the driver was talking to another vehicle platoon on a different communication frequency and didn't get the message. In the aftermath, a number of steps were taken to ensure that that sort of thing didn't happen again, but it was cold comfort for the families of the two dead girls.

Crasscrab posted:

Quit trying to justify the stationing of United States military personnel, bases, and equipment in foreign countries. There's absolutely no reason why either South Korea or Japan need the United State's protection. Both countries have militaries that are perfectly capable of defending them in the event of a (highly unlikely) war.

The troops aren't there to stop invasions, there aren't enough of them for that.

Zeroisanumber fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Dec 8, 2012

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Crasscrab posted:

Oh, so we're there for moral support. Good to know!

They're there as a tripwire. Anyone attacking either Korea or Japan know that they're also declaring war on the US.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

All Of The Dicks posted:

Congratulations, your mom was letting on that she wants to be overpowered by a cold, flint-hearted architect and/or inventor of imaginary metal and 50 Shades had not been written yet.

Dude, don't be gross.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Lightning Knight posted:

:stare:

I can't decide if this makes me slightly less annoyed at Beck (sure, he's making a dumb libertarian argument, but I guess that's slightly less bad than making a dumb evangelical argument) or more annoyed because it seems to stand as proof that he's just a charlatan who's profiting off other people's ignorance.

Even a stopped clock is right twice a day.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Dr Christmas posted:

Wait, they're actually complaining that characters in the movie say the N-word? Did people say the N-word in Lincoln?

Supposedly they say it a lot in "Django Unchained", as if that means a loving thing.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Errant Gin Monks posted:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-20649525

No you don't have a place in politics. Now go away.

No! Don't go away! Form a third party and take as many votes from the republicans as you can!

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

LP97S posted:

The movie mocks the audience (who I saw laughing when the Basterds brutally beat a German soldier to death with a baseball bat) by showing various Nazis from some bootlicker to Hitler himself laughing at the propaganda movie with Americans getting shot left and right later in the movie.

Of course, I'll defend the main climax because who doesn't want to see Hitler shot in the head by two Jewish guys

If laughing at Nazis being shot in spectacular fashion is wrong, then I don't want to be right.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

colonelslime posted:

Chances it will mention that of the 22 slashed kids in China, not one is dead or cripplingly injured?

I've been trolling the gun nuts on my FB with that story since yesterday. Simply posting it without comment has been enough to send two on an extended rant.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Night10194 posted:

Wait, what? What is this? Much like 'Allen West is a War Criminal' I sense a story so horrible that I need to know this one.

Huckabee pardoned a hardened criminal by the name of Maurice Clemons. Clemons basically returned to a life of crime, including beating up a cop and molesting 11 and 12-year old relatives. In November of 2009 he walked into a coffee shop and shot four cops dead in cold blood.

Clemons escaped with the help of an accomplice, but one of the officers lived long enough to put a bullet in Clemons' stomach. Clemons stole a car and hid out for a couple of days, but was in a bad way owing to the bullet in his gut. He was eventually found and shot while trying to escape, he died a day later.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

BiggerBoat posted:

On All in the Family one time, Archie Bunker delivered an editorial advocating for mandatory gun possession on all passenger flights. Guns would be handed out at boarding and collected at deboarding. It was played up for great laughs as the idiotic premise it is and now conservative pundits are unironicaly suggesting this very thing.

You know what we need more of in an aluminum tube filled with jet fuel flying at 30,000 feet? Guns.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Joementum posted:

*Megan McArdle*

:stare:

Rush 'em. Train a pile of 5-year olds and a half-dozen teachers that they should charge a maniac with a rifle like it's Iwo Jima, 1944. loving hell, these people are from Mars.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Kiwi Bigtree posted:

I genuinely wonder if there is an end point to the counter-narratives that come out of these situations.

Like, if a gunman using legally purchased and modified weaponry opened fire in a traditionally conservative area with men between 25-35 who have a history of high school sports and are all currently carrying concealed firearms, what would they blame it on then?

They lacked the gumption and courage of the WWI generation, who were unafraid to stack up an entire town's worth of young men so that the next wave had cover to take out a single machine gun nest.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Kiwi Bigtree posted:

What I love about FEMA death camps is the idea that an organization that was the poster child for government incompetence six years ago is now all of a sudden the embodiment of the all-powerful government a single presidency later.

They were also supposed to be the vanguard of tyranny back in the 1990's. I remember breathless accounts of their supposed "emergency powers" and their secret evil factories, "The X Files" often used a FEMA stand-in as the goons of the evil conspiracy. A lot of the shine got taken off of that turd post-Katrina.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Mr Interweb posted:

Has this been posted? Anti-union douchebag-ette, Dana Loesche is suing her parent company for poor working conditions:

http://www.politicususa.com/anti-union-tea-party-poster-girl-dana-loesch-sues-breitbart-llc-hostile-working-conditions.html

Utterly delicious.

Hilarious, but you know that you have the snark turned up to 11 when even I think the article is too snarky.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Unoriginal Name posted:

We have CNN on in the break room at work and he's been alternating between close personal interviews <relative> of <victim name> who died in <mass shooting> and then shouting down some paid gun shill for pretty much an entire week. It's pathetic emotionally manipulative poo poo "journalism" of the worst order. He literally shouted "STOP TALKING" at some lobbyist the other day and I had to stop and wonder why he wasn't just doing an editorial.

Again, perfect replacement for Larry King.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

SedanChair posted:

He comes from the crowd that was inflamed by Waco. He's kind of like Timothy McVeigh without the sangfroid or capacity for reflection.

Jones lacks the courage of his convictions.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Glitterbomber posted:

"Oh gee the black president holding watermelon that I put by the road looks RACIST to you? Wow I had no idea!"~A legitimate defense.

"It wasn't racist and if you thought it was racist then that's because you're the real racist here!"

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Crasscrab posted:

Little Green Footballs is another world class rear end in a top hat community.

I thought the guy who ran that had a change of heart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

colonelslime posted:

I hope someone tries to push this, and it gets to the Supreme Court, and they laugh right in Rove's face.

Even Scalia gets it this time:

Justice Scalia posted:

"Running a democracy takes a certain amount of civic courage. And the First Amendment does not protect you from criticism, or even nasty phone calls."