Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
I'd actually be okay with all of that. Bush '16!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Electric Phantasm posted:

Jordan Peterson is the guy who went crying to his youtube channel after he got banned from twitter, right?

The "up yours woke moralists" guy?

There's rational, logical deconstructions of Jordan Peterson.

There's quippy "what's new isn't good, and what's good isn't new" insults.

And then there's editing him into Command and Conquer videos to highlight how absurd he is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Nvckip7qxk

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
So Bernanke recently won the Nobel prize for this, but the idea is that there's a convoluted process where rising interest rates reduces demand ultimately through lowering wages. That's why you see talk about a "soft landing": can the Fed cool off the economy without inducing a recession?

The basic struggle is that the inflation we are seeing isn't the result of monetary effects but a supply side issue so we're almost certainly going to see an imbalance. We do probably need higher interest rates in general, if only so that the Fed has room to maneuver in a future downturn, but not at a risk of causing a downturn (which is why rates were so low for so long post 2008). Reducing demand because supply is reduced is the only tool the Fed has, and they're the only actor willing to do anything, which is an issue in of itself.

The real prescription is higher taxes which will never fly.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Hunt11 posted:

Maybe it was because I was younger but back then it seemed as though they at least saw the same world as we did. True they did draw horrific conclusions from what they saw but that is at least different from what we are dealing with right now.

There was a stronger belief that they could influence the world by acting and they didn't need to know it as much. There was a Bush administration official who argued that their philosophy was to just change the situation rather than understand what was going on.

But it's definitely different now, partly because the real-life gish gallop eventually ran into the cold hard wall of reality, partly because Trump took it even further than anyone else, and partly because a lot of people's brains were broken from being terminally online, racist, and cooped up during the pandemic.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

SwingShift posted:

There's the photo of Matt Gaetz out of his work attire and he looks much more human and much less like a weird plastic man. I think this guy is suffering from a similar effect - imagine him with like, a tshirt and a hat or a beanie, half way through yammering about a game he played or whatever. He's got the basic young male politician hair style, shorter on the sides and swooped backward up top, and that does not look good with his face shape, something more relaxed would make him less unnatural looking imo. Plus the tiny goatee isn't doing him any favors. I think of how conservatives will sometimes wear a cowboy hat or blue jeans to try and blend in with the normies. This is like the opposite of that.

There's a reason the Twitter Menswear Guy(tm) likes dunking on conservative politicians: many actually have no idea how to dress in a traditional suit in a way that's flattering to them, so they wear weird tight jackets or brown shoe/blue suit combos or skinny pants.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
Robocop's message is the only thing that can stop a Bad CEO with lots of money is a good CEO with lots of money.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Platonicsolid posted:

Robocops message is that the only good CEO is a dead CEO.

"The Old Man" helps Robocop kill the bad businessman in Robocop 1 by firing him, and later sacks the secondary antagonist of the sequel. In the third movie the Japanese CEO ultimately shuts down OCP because it's too evil for how unprofitable it is. While these characters are not presented as benevolent they are still the key ingredient in resolving the conflict in each story.

But again nuance doesn't really work here because right wingers look at Robocop and see Cyborg Deathwish.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
Just struggling to conceive of a better world within the fiction of the Harry Potter universe doesn't necessarily make someone bad. There's an argument to be made that it's emblematic of the intellectual rot at the heart of British culture that their defining fantasy work just inherently accepts classism. It's a failure of imagination and if that's your issue go read Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality.

It's when she started to actively pushing back against the trans movement, many of whom were huge fans of the Harry Potter books, and started the slippery slope to Holocaust Denier that it became bad.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
I'll do a post-hoc rationalization that I forgot Lord of the Rings was British because it's not steeped in British culture like Harry Potter is: it's set in a fantasy world while Hogwarts is a British school populated by British people.

But I'll strengthen my argument by conceding that it's post-Thatcher/Modern Britain's defining fantasy work.

Neito posted:

Is that the one written by the far-right influancer from LessWrong? Sarkkan of I Can't Be Assed To Actually Look This Up?

I haven't read it in like a decade so I wouldn't be surprised if the author has been milkshake ducked.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
All non-Fox Networks every few years try to poach someone from the conservative sphere to try to tap into those viewers and then are incredibly surprised when it goes terribly.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

FMguru posted:

LOL, LMAO - Kyle Rittenhouse was too dumb for the Marines

https://twitter.com/JoeKassabian/status/1775187855934914724

Caveat, marines are one of the few branches that meet their recruitment goals but their rejection rate is like 14%.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Star Man posted:

I don't doubt that Kyle Rittenhouse is too dumb to serve in the military, but frankly I think absolutely no one in this country wants him anywhere near a lethal weapon, let alone a spork, and deal with the media circus of accepting Rittenhouse into their agency. It's the same reason no police department would ever take him.

He got away with murder, but he's so absolutely toxic that he'll live the rest of his life as a pariah.

He took the exam, allegedly, before his fifteen minutes of fame.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
The dude got paid. His mistake was thinking there was some higher calling here, or trying to convince us that's what he was really after. He didn't do this pro bono.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
Which 15% of the population do you think he's referring to? Is there some easy way to identify them, perhaps with a paper bag?