Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.

Zeitgueist posted:

Rush has had ditto-heads for at leas 20 years. There will definitely be people who agree with him and take him seriously.
That's why I find arguments from the defenders of conservative pundits that it's just entertainment unconvincing. There definitely are people who unironically agree with the stuff the likes of Limbaugh put out there, and who cling to his version of reality even when the most cursory attempt to check the facts would reveal he's objectively wrong, as the Sandra Fluke thing amply demonstrated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

I think this is probably the right thread to post this:

The Long Con: Mail-order conservatism

The author of the article basically outlines how the really hardcore conservative magazines and such foster an us-vs-them view of themselves and those horrible liberals on every level, and are perfectly willing to do so in an utterly cynical way. They will sell snake oil or just plain ask for donations while framing it as amazing stuff those libs don't want you to have, or you getting to be a hero and stopping those libs from destroying the American family. The magazines and such would then pocket most of the money in the name of "overhead." He wraps this in a look at the sheer ridiculous volume of lies that come out of Romney, seemingly out of necessity as that's the culture he wants to win over.

Paul Krugman then wrote a column commenting on it, saying that the conservative habit of raising money but pocketing most of it might explain why despite the Citizens United ruling, Obama and Romney have had roughly comparable amounts of campaign spending. Karl Rove is still touting a Romney victory, and he may just be laughing all the way to the bank no matter who wins.

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

the2ndgenesis posted:

Libertarians are all for embracing the academic consensus about Subject X right up until the point where that consensus dares to critique capitalism as a political economy or mutter a single word of praise for the state. In those instances the libertarian media world will happily provide one with the sources one needs to arrive at the Correct Opinion on the subject. There's a very gnostic quality to all of it, and for the person who buys into it it lends itself to the idea that they are a super-informed critical thinker in a sea of statist drones; it contributes directly to the sexiness of the ideology.
That's the thing that always gets me about libertarianism. They're intensely skeptical about the government's ability to ever do anything good under any circumstances (a healthy skepticism of the government is a good thing, though of course they go right past the "healthy" level), yet they seem to be utterly uncritical of the free market, and will fight tooth and nail to deny that capitalist enterprises have any ability to be coercive, because "you can always just go to someone else" (except sometimes you can't, and sometimes the whole industry is doing the same thing anyway).

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Logan 5 posted:

And it has the picture and video from Fox News from 2008. Literally no new content besides REPORTS OF SCARY BLACK MAN.
Meanwhile, Republicans have been caught giving people false information about when to vote, lying to people about ID requirements, handing out "voter guides" that tell you to vote Republican on everything, etc.

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

800peepee51doodoo posted:

It's because the movie depicts Glorious Job Creators as amoral sociopaths willing to displace, exploit and murder native populations in order to more easily extract resources for profit. This is seen as an objectionable fabrication by the right wing, despite literally countless examples from reality throughout history.

Avatar is a lovely movie, though, for many many reasons but not for the ones conservatives come up with.
Yup. It's a pretty one-dimensional story that's staggeringly unoriginal overall, including the Magical White Guy cliche. To the extent that it has an anti-colonial/anti-corporate message, it's so cliche and watered down that I seriously doubt it had any real impact on the audience.

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

lil mortimer posted:

If you don't want to put up with your liberal relatives gloating at the Thanksgiving table, pretend you're a liberal and come up with fun scenarios like, "I made an A in biology but three other students got Fs so my professor asked if it would be okay if I'd take a C so everyone can have a passing grade." Heh, or you can give everyone at the table a shot glass full of eggnog and tell them you're just trying to be fair. Your relatives won't be mad at you because you aren't arguing with them and maybe they'll understand why "spreading the wealth" just makes no darn sense.

That was the hour of Hannity I listened to yesterday.
"This Thanksgiving, if your relatives disagree with you on politics, you should ruin the evening by being an argumentative rear end in a top hat. For AMERICA!" -- Sean Hannity

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Pope Guilty posted:

"Radiosensitivity" is the funniest bullshit ever. You are, right now, bathing in radio waves. The exact same kind of radio waves that come out of your devices. Being as you are nonferrous, you have nothing to fear.
I liked the interview with a woman who complained of radiosensitivity from Wi-Fi. The interviewer turned on an access point and she started to freak out. Then he revealed that it was actually just a box with some colored lights.

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Sean Archer posted:

These people have no shame,no whatsoever:

"Right to work" has to be one of the boldest bullshit terms the right has foisted on us in a long time.

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Chachi posted:

Don't forget a thieving parasite who held "freedom concerts" allegedly to benefit veterans and AD armed forces members and then pocketed like 90% of the money that came in! :shepface:
I'm reminded of this article, which basically says that setting up dodgy charities and snake oil and whatnot where they pocket most of the money for "overhead" is a long-running tradition in hardcore conservative circles, along with fomenting a powerful, cartoonish us vs. them mentality.

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

BiggerBoat posted:

"Freedom Fries", dude.
The great thing about the Bush-era anti-French nonsense is that the Iraq war was (as I understand it) a very rare exception to the overall trend of France siding with the U.S. politically, and if anything France has been even more ridiculous than the U.S. in terms of anti-Muslim prejudice.

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

nachos posted:

This actually is on CNN's homepage right now. Except it's "Guest Slams Piers" instead of "insane lunatic goes on rant".
On Conan they took the clip and edited in a gun so that they guy was waving it around and firing it to punctuate his words. It didn't look all that out of place with his meltdown.

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

quote:

First of all, remind Democrats that the Framers didn't write the First Amendment with cable television, Internet communications or even the telegraph in mind. Should we limit the press's freedom of speech to the movable type printing press which was the primary means of mass communication at the time of the Framers?
Nnnno, but when these disruptive new technologies come along we do have to sit down and reevaluate things. We didn't toss out the First Amendment when the internet came along, but we did end up with a bunch of questions to sort out about how free speech works online. Maybe we could finally get around to having that kind of conversation about modern weapons?

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Gee, I wonder why the word "rapture" is missing from the Bible? :iiam:

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

If I was in Obama's place I would be sorely tempted to start making things up just to see what Fox News does with it.

Obama 'devours raw meat all the time'? Hardly ever, sources say. | Fox News

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Minorities posted:

Yes to both. Jack Swagger's gimmick hits the nail pretty much on the head and exposes the Tea Party for what it really is (at least as much as you can do so in a popular TV-13 rated show). This of course drives actual Tea Partiers insane because the dogwhistle has now been turned into a regular whistle that they can't silence.
I saw Zeb Coulter's rant on the last PPV, and if you slotted those exact words into any given conservative talk radio show no one would even bat an eye. If anything there'd be callers saying he's being too soft.

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

orangesampson posted:

Also, WWE, the wrestling group, has called him out to go into the ring after he calls people who watch wrestling, stupid or something. Glenn Beck declined to "go into there".
A friend sent me this video of the two guys in question. It's kind of interesting and amusing how they consciously break character (and turn off the green screen)to explain to Beck like the child he is that they're playing characters in a story and satirizing popular culture like usual. And they didn't just offer for him to come on; they offered him five uninterrupted minutes on national television to say whatever he wants. I can't bring myself to watch him anymore, but I'm guessing he left that part out?

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

And if their butthurt wasn't already a known understanding, I find it funny that we have 30 years of the WWE propping stories on insensitive stereotypes and it's the Bagger story line that gets the pubbies butt hurt.
Oh, absolutely. The WWE had a giant storyline/stable making fun of the PTC as revenge for the ridiculous number of FCC complaints, they've done every ethnic stereotype imaginable, they've done some really phenomenally sexist stuff now and then, and there have been some storylines (like that one necrophilia angle) that even hardcore wrestling fans totally hated. But apparently making fun of poor people, rich people, black people, Japanese people, Mexicans, fat people, little people, the Irish, and women is fine, but mocking the tea party is where it went over the line.

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

BiggerBoat posted:

You guys are probably right. I suppose I was just looking at a way where "they can't be this crazy and creepy" and they have to know better other than suggesting a grand conspiracy. I suppose I was looking forward to an extent and figuring out ways by which to spin the dumb bullshit coming out of their mouths works into some sort of strategic advantage.

I just have a hard time believing they're that stupid despite all evidence to the contrary.
I think the thing is that they're starting from a position that abortion is murder and God hates it enough to punish the entire country for it. From there they can justify doing just about anything in the name of stopping it. Next to the acts of domestic terrorism this attitude has sometimes fomented, making poo poo up about the medical facts of rape is relatively minor. They already routinely lie about abortions causing breast cancer and depression, and show pictures of the results of late-term miscarriages that look nothing at all like what gets removed in the vast majority of non-life-saving abortions. There's an amazing amount of dishonesty in the pro-life movement, but they're also so desperately emotional about it that I have a hard time imagining them doing anything calculatingly. I don't think they're stupid people, but I do think that this is a topic they have a very hard time being smart and rational about.

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

GoatSeeGuy posted:

Good to see retirement hasn't kept Boortz from being an angry bitter man.

A criminal did something horrible, and was promptly arrested and is facing murder charges. This is at least the second time I've seen conservatives trying to point to a story like that and pretend it's remotely like the Trayvon Martin case.

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

I like how they're all FREE MARKET! :911: right up until the free market isn't pimping Jesus out hard enough.

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

kik2dagroin posted:

Limbaugh was pretty awful today. He spent most of his opening segment berating the media for trying to tie the Boston bombing to the right-wing while throwing out the 'how Bill Ayers and his wife got started in domestic terrorism' meat to his listeners. Then he had a caller come on and smugly state that he was afraid for his upcoming marathon run and would like the government to start regulating ball bearings and pressure cookers. After a commercial break he asked Snerdley to check the premises for pressure cookers, then claimed he had multiple e-mails from listeners that found pressure cookers around where they were. Then he launched into a final tirade about how leftists were totally cool with 9/11 because most people working at the WTC were from Wall Street, which the left views as not people because corporations are not people :wtc:

There is no gently caress you big enough for this guy. Even in the face of a national tragedy he doesn't miss a beat, the hate flows unperturbed. I find it somewhat comforting that he is losing sponsors due to his constant bullshit, but how any company can be associated with this guy is just beyond my comprehension :smith:
Were they actually trying to tie the bombing to right-wingers? We do have the thing where conservative pundits ignore reality and vehemently deny that right-wing domestic terrorists exist, but then pinning it on those guys with zero evidence would be kinda dumb. Not as dumb as making poo poo up about the other side being cool with 9/11 because I guess Occupy Wall Street's mirror universe evil twin was able to travel back in time though.

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Eulogistics posted:

Fresh from Rush Limbaugh's disgusting face:

He's now ranting about how it has replaced CNN as the go-to network for news and stuff. Making the big assumption that he's not talking out of his rear end...

Actually, it doesn't matter if he's talking out of his rear end; his listeners will believe it since he says it. From now on when I hear "liberal media!" I'll just quote El Rushbo his own self.
And if cable news weren't consistently handed its rear end by broadcast news, and if TV news in general weren't becoming increasingly obsolete compared to the internet, the thing about Fox News being the top of cable news might mean something.

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

beatlegs posted:

Wait, I thought conservative viewpoints were being stifled and marginalized by the widespread cancer of liberal media.
Yay doublethink!

I mean, the Boston bombing has amply demonstrated yet again that even if liberal bias is a real thing, it's got to be waaaaaay down on the list of things that're wrong with the media. And yeah, it's pretty weird for people to complain about the "mainstream" media and then tune into the most popular cable news network.

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

ProperGanderPusher posted:

I can't help but wonder what issues they would have gone over. Both of them are hardcore wealth-worshiping Randroids to this day, and at best would have admitted that their recycling episode is out of date and reiterating that global warming and the dangers of secondhand smoke probably weren't entirely bullshit. I highly doubt they would have taken back their extremely flawed episodes on taxes (the pie analogy Penn gave was beyond retarded) or fast food (we're just giving the customers what they want! Free market!).
I really wonder who they thought they were fooling with the pie thing. "Oh no! He got to take a slice of my pie! Luckily since in this analogy I'm the rich guy, I actually own several warehouses full of pies, far more than I could ever even hope to eat."

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Phone posted:

To keep it right wing media centric, Juan Williams has an opinion piece on the trial. It's pretty :allears: just judging from the title: 'Crackers,' a 'teenage mammy' -- the sorry truth about race and Zimmerman trial. It's just a bunch of THE LIEBERAL MEDIA!! bullshit, to be honest. I know it's a libertarian meme, but the false equivalency of "both sides do it!" has been running pretty thin lately.

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2013/07/11/white-hispanics-crackers-teenage-mammies-no-winners-in-martin-zimmerman-case/
So does Juan Williams, like, not allow himself to glance at any conservative media at all?

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Uh... Does Nugent think that black people haven't tried being honest and law-abiding before? That they aren't by and large doing it now?

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Monkey Fracas posted:

Ah, the ACORN fakepimp guy? I wish something worse happened to him. I really do.
Mostly I just want everyone to stop pretending he ever at any point had an ounce of credibility. He first became known with that ACORN stunt, in which he was demonstrably deceiving the public, and in doing so set in motion the shuttering of an organization that existed primarily to help poor people. There are STILL people who believe ACORN is around and causing mass voter fraud. O'Keefe's "career" is basically a giant pile of partisan lies, with a sexual harassment/rape cherry on top.

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

XyloJW posted:

On the Trayvon thing, which right-wing figures have been pushing the "why doesn't Al Sharpton care about the black-on-black crime rate" thing? Also the Zimmerman having a thousand black friends and thus not racist thing. I've seen those things repeated almost verbatim so many times in the last week that I'm wondering where it's coming from.
I dunno about Al Sharpton in particular, but it's not exactly hard to find black community leaders who want black-on-black crime to go down. (Or for that matter for the N-word to fall out of use entirely.) But to know that you'd have to actually pay attention and give a poo poo about what happens to black people for real instead of pretending to in order to frame a political talking point.

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Amused to Death posted:

A Good Thing is happening

:getin:
I still get pissed off when the Sandra Fluke thing comes up. Limbaugh told an utterly transparent lie, and then gave an apology for using the word "slut" while repeating the same lie, and said lie is still circulating among conservatives. I'm glad to see it's at least had some consequences for Limbaugh, even if the truth doesn't really seem to be winning out.

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

BerkerkLurk posted:

With the women getting pregnant at an "exponential" rate it's only a matter of time until our ships sink under the weight of all of those babies. :-C
Are they mixing up women serving in the military with tribbles?

(And now I'm pleasantly surprised that a quick bit of googling did not turn up an MRA screed about how women are like tribbles.)

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

totalnewbie posted:

I honestly think this is satire, a la Poe's Law. Emphasis mine:

A modest proposal, if you're not familiar, is Jonathan Swift's idea of eating babies to alleviate hunger during the Irish Potato Famine, a pretty classic piece of satire, full text here.
Here's a tip for anyone out there who is interested in getting into the exciting field of satire:

Try to not have your satire look exactly like what a large group of people routinely say in utter seriousness.
I realize there are crazy people out there who make this a difficult task, but it's well worth the effort! :thumbsup:

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

PeterWeller posted:

That's a bad tip. The best satirists are all but impossible to differentiate from the people they satirize. "A Modest Proposal" worked because it looked like a serious proposal for how to fix the "Irish Problem." Colbert's brilliance comes from acting just like Bill O'Reilly, but having people laugh at him for doing so.
Colbert is really easy to distinguish from an actual right-wing pundit though? Like, so easy that we make fun of and/or scratch our heads at the people who can't figure it out. I'd like to see more satire that looks like the Colbert Report, and less that looks like just some random rear end in a top hat unless you squint at it really hard in just the right way like it's some kind of political stereogram.

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

rkajdi posted:

Worst part is that people don't give a poo poo on this once they correct you, or they go from gyp to jew, as if that's an improvement.
"Gyp" a lot of people are ignorant about and shouldn't be. "Jew" as a verb is both racist and to me bizarrely old-timey. If someone uses "jew" as a verb I'll want to ask them something like, what brand of cigarettes their doctor recommends, or if they support the policies of the Hoover administration.

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

ponzicar posted:

I don't know much about Mike Nelson's political beliefs, but he's definitely funny, although I've never heard his jokes take a stand on a political issue. All I can remember are references and light hearted jabs at various politicians and events. And I do agree with the sentiment many of you have stated about the priorities of a comedian. The Daily Show is good because its primary goal is to be funny, not to be liberal. P.J. O'Rourke is someone I remember being both funny and conservative, although since I last read his books in high school, and I've become a lot more liberal in the years since then, I'm not sure how well he'll hold up. But he's the older kind of conservative, who probably wouldn't be well liked by the tea party crowd.
Where RiffTrax (which AFAIK is Mike Nelson's main thing these days) references political stuff (which isn't often) they're pretty equal opportunity, and have taken jabs at Al Gore and Bill O'Reilley in equal measure, but they mostly concentrate on pop culture references and general silliness. If he's conservative, he definitely puts comedy ahead of politics for what he performs. About the only liberal comedian I know who really fails at that is Bill Maher, whose standup special was pretty much just an hour of him ranting about politics and pretending he was telling jokes.

e:

bobservo posted:

I love Rifftrax, but some of the jokes can definitely be identified as Mike's. The Starship Troopers live show had a riff about ACORN voting fraud, and it wasn't from the perspective of "isn't this idea nutty?"
Ah, yeah. I'd been trying to forget that. I don't mind when they playfully make fun of Al Gore (Shot of a desert planet: "This is what the world will look like if we don't all buy Priuses right now.") but the ACORN thing was entirely a conservative lie that they were reinforcing, and the joke was like something I'd expect from Dennis Miller.

Guilty Spork fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Oct 2, 2013

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

FuzzySkinner posted:

What I don't get about the "War on Christmas" is this.

Generally it always seems to happen because some Reddit Atheist stomping his feet about some stupid issue that only like 2 people in his entire community care about.

So, they get the christmas tree taken down, and suddenly you produce an army of angry "Evangelical/Tea Partiers" with even more ammo about the "Godless Left" (which is untrue), while real, legitimate cases of Church/State get ignored.

It's such a waste of time for all sides really.

There's nothing wrong with saying "Happy Holidays" either because we live in a country that is no longer predominately christian.
The War on Christmas people really just want their side to win no matter what, yet want to also be the persecuted minority for some reason. They want courthouse lawns to have nativity scenes even if you'd have a hard time walking two blocks without passing a church or a house that already has one, and they stay angry when they end up sharing that public space with others instead of having stuff removed entirely.

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Dr Christmas posted:

I'm pretty sure I've heard far more obsessive discussion about Miley Cyrus and twerking from people old enough to be my parents than I have from people of my own generation. Almost none from the latter, in fact.
To me the more surprising thing from the Miley Cyrus whatever-it-was was the part about how music videos are apparently still enough of a thing with MTV for them to have an awards show. Obsessing over one of the performances was kind of burying the lead as far as I'm concerned. I know zero people in real life who gave a poo poo about Twerkgate, and if it hadn't popped up on the internet I wouldn't have even known about it.

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

I was amazed to find out that Rush is now more than just books and radio

He now makes Tea (Get it?)

The tea fanatic in me wants to ask what kind of black tea, whether it's Assam, Ceylon, etc., but I'm pretty sure Rush's answer would be "Look, it's top quality black tea! :911:"

(Sweet tea can be really good, especially on a really hot day, but it's basically sugar water with some tea flavor.)

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Joementum posted:

Breitbart notes that Obama is attending Mandela's funeral, but did not attend Thatcher's funeral, probably because he hates women I'm guessing.
I like how their quote of a British tabloid (which they even admit as such) mentions that neither of the Bushes came either, and talks about "glowing US tributes to Thatcher." Never mind that Americans weren't exactly united in that praise, the average American really doesn't know jack poo poo about Thatcher, and a huge portion of the British public utterly despises her, and they collectively made "Ding Dong The Witch Is Dead" a top seller for a little while.

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

I'm going to say this is more insulting to women than to men, but the line "a man’s identity is inextricably linked to his paycheck" is still pretty drat insulting. Oddly enough there are a heck of a lot of other things that play into my identity than just my job, and I'd be terrified of or at least concerned about a person for whom their job was the whole of their being.

Also the thing where feminists say, "You should have a choice about this," and people hear "You should hate everything about the traditional thing and do the opposite always and kill all the men." I don't know of any other philosophy that gets so consistently, desperately mischaracterized as feminism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

On Twitter a bunch of Pro-Lifers have been doing a #PrayToEndAbortion hashtag. Patton Oswalt jokingly tweeted that people should get an #AbortToEndPrayer hashtag going. Anyone with any comprehension at all would have realized that this was not in fact "let's kill religion and have ALL THE ABORTIONS for real in real life because we just love abortions!", but rather "they made a thing, let's make the opposite thing wouldn't that be funny."

Erick Son of Erick is apparently a bit slow on the uptake:

Erick Erickson posted:

Libs on twitter rally around abortion as a means to exterminate the religious. Fitting, given King Herod, etc. fb.me/6xOdkZYIY