Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Came here after seeing that. Oh my loving GOD what the gently caress is wrong with them. Jesus loving Christ that makes my blood boil and my skin crawl. Also, if they're really going to do poo poo like this, at least they could make it a little more subtle and nicer looking. I know they really don't want Obama to win, but that looks so goddamn trashy and unprofessional.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

The fascists are winning. They're openly calling for violence and death and we're sitting on hands.

They'll continue this poo poo until they either win again and transform the state into a theocracy, or lose and incite violence nationwide because they'll claim everyone cheated. We're at the end of our democracy. We are all just too afraid to admit it.

What happens if they lose, resort to violence, and that doesn't work for them either?

I mean, I don't exactly think that the odds are in our favor, but these types of posts aren't helpful. Stopping these fuckers is not going to be easy, but it's also not over yet.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Panfilo posted:

"The Anti Woke Fight" :stare: I swear this looks like a parody it is so unhinged.
https://twitter.com/GovRonDeSantis/status/1589652648915075075?t=9CqCsjN4SLnG-4RPAX-gPw&s=19

If the Dems manage to beat the odds and win big today, a big reason is probably going to be that the GOP finally managed to go too far with insane culture war poo poo like this. Like there may be an actual bottom where this turns off too many people for them to win all but the reddest areas.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I'm really excited about the prospect of Republicans seeing Florida as a blueprint for future victories.

The Florida GOP's success mostly comes down to demographic changes + the Florida Dem party's incompetence. DeSantis's culture war bullshit won't fly outside of the reddest, chuddiest states.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Jaxyon posted:

Yeah it has nothing really to do with mental illness. I know a ton of people who are mentally ill and none of them are Nazis.

Kanye's just a gigantic bigoted shitheel. If anything his people have been reigning him in and now the mask is off.

Or the mask is back on, in this case

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

BiggerBoat posted:

Off topic but I was wondering yesterday what the hell ever happened to Michael Moore?

Seems like a textbook case of RWM successfully discrediting a person who was once wildly popular. Or did Moore just undo poo poo himself?

He's still around doing activism, just under the radar. Like a week before the midterms he was one of the few people to successfully predict that the midterms were not going to go well for the GOP. That is the last news I've seen regarding him.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

lmao I'm getting shipped to a death camp in 2025 if the GOP wins, love it

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

OgNar posted:

Ted wants top do a full blown investigation into just why AB would use Mulvaney for marketing under the assumption that they are targetting kids.
He has an interview on Fox about it sometime today.

https://twitter.com/SenTedCruz/status/1659577184405819394

They're never going to let this go. They want to keep up the pressure on trans people as much as they possibly can to try to further stigmatize them, because their goal is for all of them to die.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

PT6A posted:

I don't know why I'm being accused of "rules-lawyer[ing] for fascists." I'm quite clear on the fact that what's going on is completely unacceptable and vile, I'm just saying that it's not actually a ban. Why it's important to make this distinction is because the right-wing is already using this talking point, and by insisting that it's a ban, you're implicitly not attacking their actual argument, which is that access to certain materials including but not limited to books discussing or providing information concerning LGBTQ+ and racial issues, ought to be less than fully and freely available.

The opposition to these restrictions should not be fighting about what to call things; instead, they should be making the argument that it is the right of all people, including children (being that children are, strictly speaking, a subset of "people"), to access any and all works possible through a library, either in a school or a community library.

dude nobody cares about this poindexter rear end WELL ACKCHYUALLY clarification bullshit

Normal people just find this annoying

Just call it a loving ban and incite justified outrage and maybe there will be a better chance of getting enough people to oppose this poo poo and stop it

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

I AM GRANDO posted:

Why did this one work? Because only reactionary freaks drink Budweiser?

1) Chuds are psychos who not only kept up the boycott, they went as far as to call in bomb threats against multiple brewing factories over this poo poo because that's how much they hate trans people
2) The company put out this half assed statement where they tried to walk back their position a bit to please everyone, but instead managed to piss off both sides
3) There are tons of light beer alternatives that taste identical to Bud Light or taste better, so it's not exactly a difficult boycott to keep up
4) Seriously, Bud Light is a lovely beer, who cares.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

I suspect that a not-insignificant portion of his supporters simply like him because he's hilarious and because his presidency wouldn't affect them much.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Not defending chuds ever, but every last one of you could have become one yourselves if certain things in your lives had gone differently and/or if you had the misfortune of being born into different circumstances. Every conservative, awful as they are, are human and many of the factors that made them conservative were not up to them. There will always be some amount of these shitheads, but until the root causes are addressed there will continue to be more of them than any of us would like.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

duodenum posted:

Won't somebody please think of the people who would happily put you in front of a firing squad if given the "freedom" to do so?

I literally started with "not defending chuds ever" so maybe stop being such an idiot. Maybe we should also do that, figure out how to stop people from becoming idiots in the first place as well as chuds.

e: this is especially hilarious considering I myself am currently the target of the latest moral panic and am terrified of it on a daily basis

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Hot take: I don't think the vast majority of Americans give a poo poo about the hostages (e: or the whole Israel/Palestine situation in general.) We have changed since then.

Queering Wheel fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Oct 20, 2023

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Civilized Fishbot posted:

I think the closest to that is Lia Thomas, "the first openly transgender athlete to win an NCAA Division I national championship, having won the women's 500-yard freestyle event in 2022."

And then we learned that far, far more Republicans are invested in NCAA D1 women's swimming than previously imagined.

EDIT: This Wikipedia article seems pretty exhaustive and the only two trans champs I can find are Thomas and Veronica Ivy, a philosophy professor who won a gold medal in the 35-44 age bracket in a track cycling tournament. The trans-athlete-who-completely-demolishes-all-competition appears to be a GOP canard, who could've expected

Lia Thomas isn't even one of the better swimmers in the last ten years. Over half of the women who won her event in the last ten years put up better times than she did.

Trans women who go on hormones for long enough actually have a disadvantage in athletics compared to cis women, but America isn't ready for that conversation so oh well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

God why do they all look the same