Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Minghawk
Oct 9, 2012

VideoTapir posted:

They loving destroyed commercial radio in general. They're big into billboards, and many of their billboards are illegal.

This is why Clear Channel has always been a difficult name for me to wrap my head around when it's mentioned in the context of radio. I can't think of them as anything other than the company that owns almost every billboard in the UK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minghawk
Oct 9, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Alan Moore originally wrote V for Vendetta in response to Thatcherism

I was about to say that moths' 'sci-fi Hitler' was a bit off, but if that's his interpretation then everyone gets away clean, and nobody's made any specious comparisons. Everyone wins!

Minghawk
Oct 9, 2012

Tatum Girlparts posted:

So have you never seen Bullshit or what because he 'talks' with people who agree with him and basically sneers and chortles at anyone else.

Are we seriously pretending Penn was on some quest to learn about the environment when he brought on a bunch of people to say 'heh what you think we're gonna RUN OUT OF TREES?! THIS DOESN'T EVEN MAKE MONEY'?

Bullshit is a bit of misleading avenue, because as far as I'm aware their writing involvement was limited to tweaking things into Penn's style. They weren't the head writers by any stretch, they were just hosts, and would have had a limited influence on the overall approach of the thing. That said, they still took the shilling, so it only excuses so much.

I suppose the best thing I can say about Penn is that his politics don't come from a place of spite, and that I can't be sure I wouldn't have lost touch too if I spent most of my time living in somewhere as ghastly and otherworldly as Vegas.

Minghawk
Oct 9, 2012
'There is no politics to be gained'. It has a certain beauty.

Minghawk
Oct 9, 2012

FuzzySkinner posted:

My father's literal reaction to pointing this out would be:

"Well, you see these corporations don't know what Obama or Obamacare is doing. So they have these record profits, but they don't want to spend money because they don't know what tax is going to come there way. They have to answer to stockholders you see..."

I don't doubt that's how he'd respond, but if that was his argument, what he's really saying is that the companies should stuff mattresses and hide it from their shareholders too. It really doesn't matter to a company whether they pay money as tax or a dividend, the result is the same.

Minghawk
Oct 9, 2012

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

Frasier was so boring, white and elitist, perfect for the republican party.

With an over-reliance on farce, so yeah.

Minghawk
Oct 9, 2012

IceAgeComing posted:

I bet you that if Clinton wins someone somewhere will write a piece calling her a "liberal Margaret Thatcher" meaning is as a complement, even though its probably the nastiest thing that you can say about someone

Oh, it'll happen, a big old crop of prejudices and arrogant ideas will go in a blender and those who hate her will attempt to co-opt her, in the way that Obama was at least useful in saying that racism in America must definitely be over. Personally, I'm waiting for the first pundit to argue that although Clinton is obviously a bitch oval office, her being president proves how equal opportunity is in America - because can you imagine a woman ever being a president in one of those sandy countries?

Minghawk
Oct 9, 2012

I wonder if he's just knows someone at the company and is using their headed paper. The number of typos and the amount of polemic, coupled with the fact that it says very little in a legal sense, do kind of suggest that was composed by the sausage fingers of Chuck himself. Quite apart from the fact that if you were embarking on such a case, a firm that deals almost exclusively in employment law probably wouldn't be your first port of call.

Minghawk
Oct 9, 2012

Azuth0667 posted:

You joke but parents at my high school tried to ban this, Macbeth, and The Outsiders.

One of the essay assignments we had on Chaucer at school was to write a letter responding to a (fictitious) complaint from a parent, defending the inclusion of his work on the curriculum. The teacher had clearly encountered a bit of that attitude in prior years.

Minghawk
Oct 9, 2012

Sharkie posted:

It's totemic. He's wearing it to show he's a good, humble, christian white guy from the Real America. Not some communist metrosexual from the big city. He knows exactly what he looks like and that's why he's wearing it.

Absolutely, which is what makes the green visor in the brim of his hat hilarious. There are limits to 'rugged', after all.

Minghawk fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Sep 10, 2015

Minghawk
Oct 9, 2012

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I wouldn't say Breitbart died with its namesake at all. It's still mined for hit pieces by the RWM mainstream.

They're a bunch of lost soldiers without a general at this point though, going crackers through starvation and dehydration.

On which note - does anyone know what happened to cause their contributor John Nolte to get fired from his old gig on right-wing film site Libertas a good few years back? He used to edit it under the name 'Dirty Harry', and during his tenure he was the only real contributor. There was a public incident of some kind, which the site owners never expanded on much other than saying that people would have to use their real names if they worked for them in the future, and his firing caused the site to be more or less shuttered for a good long while.

Minghawk
Oct 9, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

That movie is really boring for fourteen year olds to watch though

It features full frontal female nudity, so there's something to catch their attention at least.

Minghawk
Oct 9, 2012

deoju posted:

Until otherwise demonstrated I just going to assume that scholarship fund is a scheme to grab attention and bilk money from rich idiots.

Edit: and possibly divert money from students who might actually need it towards Milo's friends and family.

I'm not too familiar with how much it costs to do a degree in the US, but the maximum bursary on offer in that thing is $2500. I'm pretty sure that's not enough to send anyone to university, or enough to make a difference in them weighing up how much they want to go versus how much debt they'll end up with. So it's entirely about getting attention, with any money that comes through the doors being incidental.

Minghawk fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jan 23, 2016

Minghawk
Oct 9, 2012

Epic High Five posted:

Hummus became America-approved when the Dr. Phil crowd said it was healthy and soccer moms dogpiled on it.

Healthy in comparison to what? I love the stuff but it's pure fat and in no way good for you.

Minghawk
Oct 9, 2012

Sir Tonk posted:

Of course he will lose, facebook can "trend" whatever news it wants.

I've no doubt that he genuinely doesn't get that, though. Like that idiot Milo and his Twitter altercation, these types seem to think that private companies need to behave like public utilities whenever they fail to get special treatment.

If Crowder actually does 'go legal' on this this his wife's going bankrupt.

Minghawk
Oct 9, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

(Milo) I can see him slinking back to England to continue being a shitlord there in its post-Brexit hellscape. Because he can at least get on British television no problem, he's proven that much. I don't even think he's welcome on Fox News over here.

He might land a 3 minute spot on the news as a curiosity, but there's absolutely no chance of him having a TV career of any kind in the UK. There just isn't any possible audience for him, not even a tiny one. The US right at this specific point in time is the only place he can ever have a platform, and after the election he's done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minghawk
Oct 9, 2012
This is probably what you're thinking of:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/jan/15/texas-gun-group-charlie-hebdo-paintball