Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
I bet you that if Clinton wins someone somewhere will write a piece calling her a "liberal Margaret Thatcher" meaning is as a complement, even though its probably the nastiest thing that you can say about someone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

radical meme posted:

It'll be hard for Right Wing Media to completely dismiss the ability of women to lead after slobbering all over the carriers of Margaret Thatcher and Jeanne Kirkpatrick for so long.

They can forget anything they have previously ever said. Look at the PPACA, that's their loving legislation, but since a black democrat got it passed they hate it.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

IceAgeComing posted:

I bet you that if Clinton wins someone somewhere will write a piece calling her a "liberal Margaret Thatcher" meaning is as a complement, even though its probably the nastiest thing that you can say about someone

I hope Hillary gets a badass nickname like Iron Lady.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

FuzzySkinner posted:

It's bizarre.

I wonder if a lot of conservative women on the right are beginning to feel alienated because of this. I mean, I think Michelle Bachmann, and are pretty awful, but I don't think they would take too kindly to being told "Get back in the kitchen".

Michelle Bachmann? The woman who was serving every other GOP candidate water at the table in the run up to 2012?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

FuzzySkinner posted:

It's bizarre.

I wonder if a lot of conservative women on the right are beginning to feel alienated because of this. I mean, I think Michelle Bachmann, and Sarah Palin are pretty awful, but I don't think they would take too kindly to being told "Get back in the kitchen".

It chases away anyone on the fence about the GOP. There are a lot of women raised in patriarchal households and taught that they need to find a man and settle down, even in TYOOL 2015. Most of it is in small communities and areas of deep religious influence, the same kind of areas where leaving to go to college is seen as abandoning your community and forever marks you as an outsider.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

Mister Macys posted:

Michelle Bachmann? The woman who was serving every other GOP candidate water at the table in the run up to 2012?

Yeah its going to affect female republican voters, not the leadership. Just a question of how many of them will decide to stay home on election day, or worse yet, vote for a woman for President...

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

VideoTapir posted:

That's Church of Satan, specifically. It was Anton LaVey who said "I give people Ayn Rand with trappings."

That explains the overwhelming number of teen boys.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Bored and found more of McInnes

http://video.foxnews.com/v/4234439649001/gavin-mcinnes-a-message-to-emotional-women-voters/#sp=show-clips

Here he is arguing against the 19th amendment. He's claiming that because women got the right to vote? We've gone into "Big Government".

http://www.salon.com/2015/05/14/fox_news_should_maybe_be_concerned_about_gavin_mcinnes_mental_stability/

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

A lot of the GOP voters are so entrenched it doesn't matter though, especially after the insanity of the last decade. They drink all the flavor-aid, so people saying poo poo like women would be happier at home are just being respectful to stay-at-home mothers, while democrats talking about the "war on women" are just pandering. Hey Muslims wear burkas and liberals like Muslims, so who's really making a war on women? Also liberals say mean things about Michelle Bachmann and Sarah Palin, who are both women.

Trilas
Sep 16, 2004

Mister Macys posted:

:stare:I don't remember that. God drat.

Iirc, she said that she didn't want to be a tax attorney but moved in to that field because Marcus told her to.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Tender Bender posted:

A lot of the GOP voters are so entrenched it doesn't matter though, especially after the insanity of the last decade. They drink all the flavor-aid, so people saying poo poo like women would be happier at home are just being respectful to stay-at-home mothers, while democrats talking about the "war on women" are just pandering. Hey Muslims wear burkas and liberals like Muslims, so who's really making a war on women? Also liberals say mean things about Michelle Bachmann and Sarah Palin, who are both women.

I still think quite a few people who vote GOP are socially liberal when pressed upon it, but can never bring themselves to vote for Democrats because of them experiencing prosperity during the Reagan-Bush-Clinton-(part of)-The W. years.

I think the fringe has pushed a lot of people out of that area though. You can see it happening when big businesses and corporations are starting to get away from donating money to straight up fundie candidates.

RACHET
Dec 29, 2014

by exmarx

FuzzySkinner posted:

Bored and found more of McInnes

http://video.foxnews.com/v/4234439649001/gavin-mcinnes-a-message-to-emotional-women-voters/#sp=show-clips

Here he is arguing against the 19th amendment. He's claiming that because women got the right to vote? We've gone into "Big Government".

http://www.salon.com/2015/05/14/fox_news_should_maybe_be_concerned_about_gavin_mcinnes_mental_stability/

Gavin McInnes, he co-founded Vice, so I have a hard time believing that this is anything but trolling on a Ann Coulter level style.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
He wrote a big article about how he hates trans and also is now pro-life and found god. He likes attention

RACHET
Dec 29, 2014

by exmarx

N. Senada posted:

He wrote a big article about how he hates trans and also is now pro-life and found god. He likes attention

So the guy that founded a magazine so he could get the Canadian government to pay for his heroin habit pulled a Dennis Miller

edit: After reading this articles I understand why Shane Smith forced him out, this is either trolling on a Andy Kaufman level or he is absolutely insane and needs to go back to doing drugs.

RACHET fucked around with this message at 22:30 on May 16, 2015

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

RACHET posted:

Gavin McInnes, he co-founded Vice, so I have a hard time believing that this is anything but trolling on a Ann Coulter level style.

One of the founders of vice got kicked out after writing some transphobic articles iirc and is a randian ubermensch

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

BiggerBoat posted:

Like a few years ago when there were crazy wildfires out west, it was supposedly because environmentalists have kept people from cutting down the trees. So, if there's no trees, then there can be no fires.

That was one of the many many instances of running something that is true through the right-wing media sausage grinder. Part of the reason that wildfires can be so terrible is that a lot of forests haven't been properly managed - like doing periodic thinning where the smaller trees are removed so that the larger remaining trees can grow big enough to resist fire. Smaller trees act like kindling that can ignite the larger trees which can make the fires utterly devastating for both the forests and the surrounding communities. Of course, the reason the forests are unhealthy is because they were logged to poo poo and the new trees that come up after a clear cut are all small, thin and grouped close together. Light that on fire and it burns fast and hot and can get out of control very quickly. So yes, cutting some trees is part of the answer to mitigating wildfires, but only in a very specific way which anti-environmentalists will never bother to understand because gently caress hippies log everything. Its similar to their wildly mis-informed take on the issue of birds vs windfarms. There is a legit problem with windmills killing raptors but the answer is fix the windmills not burn more coal. They are more interested in trying to prove environmentalism wrong with pithy gotchas so that they can continue to ignore whats happening.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Doesn't coal kill more raptors than wind farms anyway?

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

Shbobdb posted:

coal kills more everything than anything, except maybe fish from hydroelectric for obvious reasons

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

McInnes seems to be one of these people (like Coulter) who never matured beyond adolescence and have a deep-seated need to be thought of as "cool", but a warped understanding of what cool is. They think it's edgy to say offensive things because offending people is the most awesome, rock and roll thing a person can do. People who get offended are pathetic and weak, you see, therefore being offensive shows you are superior. Yet when cornered & publicly called out they usually retreat to "I'm being persecuted for having a sense of humor!" :cry:

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

joeburz posted:

coal kills more everything than anything, except maybe fish from hydroelectric for obvious reasons

Sure, now that DDT is banned, habitat loss due to climate change brought about by burning fossil fuels is probably the number one killer of raptors. Oh yeah, remember when America banned DDT and that somehow resulted in the deaths of millions and millions of African children that conservatives totally care about?

Minghawk
Oct 9, 2012

IceAgeComing posted:

Oh, it'll happen, a big old crop of prejudices and arrogant ideas will go in a blender and those who hate her will attempt to co-opt her, in the way that Obama was at least useful in saying that racism in America must definitely be over. Personally, I'm waiting for the first pundit to argue that although Clinton is obviously a bitch oval office, her being president proves how equal opportunity is in America - because can you imagine a woman ever being a president in one of those sandy countries?

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Business Gorillas posted:

One of the founders of vice got kicked out after writing some transphobic articles iirc and is a randian ubermensch

Yeah that's Gavin, he left Vice and co-founded an ad agency called Rooster which he subsequently got fired from after his transphobic article generated a boycott.

sexy fucking muskrat
Aug 22, 2010

by exmarx

Trilas posted:

:stare:I don't remember that. God drat.

Iirc, she said that she didn't want to be a tax attorney but moved in to that field because Marcus told her to.

No no no, you've got it all wrong. God told her to be a tax attorney, it just so happened that he was speaking to her through Marcus :v:

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

800peepee51doodoo posted:

Sure, now that DDT is banned, habitat loss due to climate change brought about by burning fossil fuels is probably the number one killer of raptors. Oh yeah, remember when America banned DDT and that somehow resulted in the deaths of millions and millions of African children that conservatives totally care about?

Mark Levin brings up this talking point all the time. It's the most infuriating bullshit ever. Master Shake talking about liberals being the real racists for killing all those poor black people.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

radical meme posted:

Mark Levin brings up this talking point all the time. It's the most infuriating bullshit ever. Master Shake talking about liberals being the real racists for killing all those poor black people.

Haven't you heard? DDT did nothing to birds or people. The whole study was [liberal whatever] and we should just bring DDT back into blanket usage.
Even Howard Stern says so.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Can't insects develop resistances to indiscriminately applied insecticides too? Or is that more of a bacterial thing?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

StandardVC10 posted:

Can't insects develop resistances to indiscriminately applied insecticides too? Or is that more of a bacterial thing?

Depends on the insecticide. I mean, humans can't really develop resistance to say sarin gas, and it's much the same with a lot of insecticides.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

You don't "develop" a resistance to stuff, unless you're referring to a population. Some portion of a given population just has some mutation(s) that makes them heartier against some chemicals than the average member of their species.

Obviously some chemicals you're less likely to have a resistance to than others, but the important thing is being thorough when applying the poo poo so nothing survives (which is why a prescription of antibiotics will typically tell you to finish the whole thing regardless of how you feel). Because what DOES survive is likely going to have some kind of resistance, making your stuff less effective.

EDIT: The most hilarious thing about DDT is how little these shits care about the country. Even the bald eagle can't muster a defense from these guys :911:

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

But "Mithridates, he grew old."!

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

radical meme posted:

It'll be hard for Right Wing Media to completely dismiss the ability of women to lead after slobbering all over the carriers of Margaret Thatcher and Jeanne Kirkpatrick for so long.

Lol no it won't

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

Yeah look at how they've disengaged from Reagan's policies (the real Reagan, not the fictional version they worship). They'll have no problem disengaging from Thatcher. It was a long time ago, a reality that no longer fits into their paradigm..

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

Shbobdb posted:

Pretty much anything that kills birds kills more birds than wind farms.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

beatlegs posted:

Yeah look at how they've disengaged from Reagan's policies (the real Reagan, not the fictional version they worship). They'll have no problem disengaging from Thatcher. It was a long time ago, a reality that no longer fits into their paradigm..
I mean, let's not forget the Sad Saga of Michael Steele

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams

beatlegs posted:

This is, hands down, my favorite post concerning Thatcher and why Obama went to Mandela's funeral but not hers:

quote:

Zeroisanumber posted:
Abraham Van Helsing had already driven a stake through her (Thatcher's) heart and stuffed her mouth full of garlic and silver coins, the undertaker made sure that she was buried face-down and the coffin sealed in cement. Obama didn't need to go, he just sent the Secret Service to oversee the burial to ensure that the job was done right.

I assume that he's going to Mandela's funeral because Mandela was an amazing person who changed the world for the better, not to battle the undead.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Obama didn't go to Thatcher's funeral?

How did I miss such a delightful detail

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Probably because you've tuned out the 24/7 right wing news cycle. It was the big topic for like 2 weeks when it happened 2 years ago

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Yeah but I live in the drat Politoon Thread, and political cartoons are a kind of gutter for right wing talking points.

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

Rorus Raz posted:

Yeah but I live in the drat Politoon Thread, and political cartoons are a kind of gutter for right wing talking points.

They were too busy trying to counteract any negative opinions of Thatcher to comment on Obama. Have a heart! They can only spin so much!

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

I think they just didn't give as much of a poo poo as you'd expect from people with more consistent ideologies. Her heyday was relatively long ago (and foreign) and she hadn't been sainted like Reagan. She didn't keep in the news like Mandela did, so they mostly forgot about her. That's why her death was so tepidly received in comparison (in US media).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SnakePlissken
Dec 31, 2009

by zen death robot

Dr. Faustus posted:

Haven't you heard? DDT did nothing to birds or people. The whole study was [liberal whatever] and we should just bring DDT back into blanket usage.
Even Howard Stern says so.

According to Ann Coulter in "Godless" all of environmentalism is a misguided concept that got out of control, no doubt because of a hysterical female. See, Rachel Carlson was dying of cancer, and in her addled state saw poison and pollution in everything sort of conspiracy-theory-style, because she was merely some kind of flake, and all the hippies and knee-jerk liberals just ate it all up, so here we are with all these government regulations that keep good real Americans in chains. We never needed to do anything about pollution in the first place; we've been duped by the pinkos all along. And we've caused more human suffering and death in Africa by not using DDT than we would have ever by filling up every body of water on the continent with it, which would have totally ended malaria, apparently. So there's blood on YOUR hands, liberals.