Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Facebook has a "Hide" feature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

The Entire Universe posted:

Woody Harrelson couldn't.

Isn't Woody Harrelson a libertarian conspiracy theorist?

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

The Entire Universe posted:

:cripes: I know you're probably too young to get the reference, but if you just Google where Woody Harrelson and Basketball coincide, you find that X marks the spot at the movie White Men Can't Jump.

I'm 37 and I remember that movie but the post you replied to said "GOP all-stars" so I was really confused and thought you were saying that Woody Harrelson was a GOP all-star. Sorry for taking everything so literally. :shobon:

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Kiwi Bigtree posted:

Its even better when you remember in 2005 they had a guy whose gimmick was that he was an American of Muslim heritage who felt alienated in his own country because he practiced a different religion.

He was a bad guy.

Was that the guy whose finishing move was literally called the Magic Carpet Ride or was that another guy?

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Ho Chi Mint posted:

Have you guys forgotten the Iron Sheik?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsUyMMyL_z4

Of course not but he and the other foreign racist caricatures of the time were somewhat different due to historical context. Nikolai Volkof is a much better example from that era because the Cold War was still going on and he was Russian. It was only after the first American invasion of Iraq in '91 that the Iron Sheik became way more relevant again.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Acrophyte posted:

When the presidential campaign turned on the subject of Iran, I was floored by the amount of people who had no idea that Iranians a.) aren't Arab and b.) don't speak Arabic. Literally Iran 101. I honestly wonder how many high ranking Republicans don't know that either.

"They have a different skin color, speak a different language, and have a different religion than us" is all they think they need to know.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

BlackJoo posted:

I don't understand, are they upset because a white racist is being portrayed as a villain? Or because they think this character is an unfair depiction of the tea party?

Yes to both. Jack Swagger's gimmick hits the nail pretty much on the head and exposes the Tea Party for what it really is (at least as much as you can do so in a popular TV-13 rated show). This of course drives actual Tea Partiers insane because the dogwhistle has now been turned into a regular whistle that they can't silence.

The American Dream posted:

It was probably his lacky Davari that had magic carpet ride.

Thank you! I could not remember his name for the life of me.

Elephant Ambush fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Feb 20, 2013

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Guilty Spork posted:

I saw Zeb Coulter's rant on the last PPV, and if you slotted those exact words into any given conservative talk radio show no one would even bat an eye. If anything there'd be callers saying he's being too soft.

The point I was trying to make is that conservative talk radio is insular. There are some liberal and progressive watchdog groups that try to expose the horrible poo poo they say to the mainstream but it doesn't catch on much.

The WWE certainly has its share of conservative and even racist fans, but the WWE is not under the umbrella of conservative talk radio control and caters to a different audience that's more mainstream. Tea Partiers get incredibly upset whenever their horse poo poo gets exposed to an audience can't dupe/trick/manipulate easily. Look at the mass exodus away from facebook to TPC as another example.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Mister Macys posted:

What the Tea Party thinks of themselves - Lex Luger: The Man Made in the U.S.A. :911:
What even Vince McMahon realizes - Jack Swagger :freep:

Probably just trying to attract smart people back, just to see what the fuss is all about.

Pro wrestling in general has always been topical. Sometimes certain topical gimmicks get over better than others.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

BiggerBoat posted:

Is this thread about wrestling now?

I'll drop the derail if you or a mod wants to but I stand behind the idea that pro wrestling is a form of right-wing media. :colbert:

BiggerBoat posted:

It's actually sort of an interesting derail in a way. There's a lot of crossover between the black and white mindset of the average dittohead and the average adolescent wrestling fan. Except in the 80's there was Ted Debiasi, The Million Dollar Man and he was a villain. Nowadays, they'd run him for President.

They sort of brought back the Million Dollar Man bad guy gimmick a while back. His name was John Layfield and he was from Texas and was a legitimately successful Wall Street investor. He even gave investment advice on CNN for a little while.

His gimmick wasn't just that he was rich though. His twist on the rich man gimmick was that he was supposed to represent the stereotypical white-collar boss of the average blue-collar wrestling fan. Reinforcing the idea that wrestling is topical, this character made its debut during the beginning of the most recent recession when TONS of blue-collar workers were laid off. He flaunted his money like Ted DiBiase, but that took a backseat to making sure everyone in the audience thought of their rear end in a top hat middle-management boss at their current or former workplace whenever he showed up. He called everyone in the audience lazy and shiftless and talked about bootstraps a lot. Needless to say he was hated like you would not believe.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Ironically, both Richard Blumenthal and Chris Murphy ran attack ads against Linda McMahon during her two attempts to buy a Senate seat which cited the WWE's poor working conditions and lovely to nonexistent health coverage.

Now I'm picturing one of the WWE's "Don't Try This At Home" videos but instead of full-color footage of wrestlers doing high-risk moves cutting to black and white footage of them getting carried to the back after getting hurt, I see full-color footage of Linda McMahon campaigning and then cutting to black and white footage of her being all despondent after she lost.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

GoutPatrol posted:

It was a little funny because that is stuff he actually believes and he had to be the bad guy when he said it.

The best and most successful bad guys in wrestling are the ones who live their gimmicks. I'm sure there's a real-life political analogy in there somewhere.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Is that actually true?

Yes. Before the internet "exposed" the business to younger fans in the late 90s, there were still tons of people who thought it was real. To maintain that illusion, promotion owners would seriously tell their wrestlers to "live the gimmick" in public. This actually resulted in at least one bad guy wrestler getting stabbed by a fan. Even now there are still enough people who still think it's all real that the "good guys" and "bad guys" have to travel on separate buses and avoid being friendly in public.

Elephant Ambush fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Feb 26, 2013

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

I'd ask which one of you posted the only comment on that video but it's a week old.

quote:

ViolentSexVixenz 1 week ago

Is it cool that it has the look of an early 90's pc game? I'm not sure...Reminds me of "D"....even the body animations....what am I missing?

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Can someone please post a "Best Of" from this Levin guy? This is the first I've heard of him and I'd love to hear Master Shake freak out and spike his blood pressure while spouting out conservative talking points.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

beatlegs posted:

I used to watch his HBO show back in the early 2000's and as I recall he had an "epiphany" on 9/11 (lost his marbles), like so many other pundits (and people in general) did.

This is exactly it. He used to be a mix of liberal and libertarian but 9/11 scared the poo poo out of him and this is the result.

quote:

e: that's probably why he's so defensive now - he knows he was wrong about everything and doesn't want to deal with it.

That definitely part of it, and you also have to remember that people have been asking him that question for 11+ years. Even if he had a solid answer to the question I can imagine getting sick of having to answer it all the time.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

BiggerBoat posted:

When did he tell a joke? And by "tell a joke" I mean "say something that was funny".

Dennis Miller was easily one of the funniest SNL cast members when he was on it and his HBO show was pretty funny too. It was only after 9/11 that he totally lost it and became a hollow shell of his former self.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Cheapsteaks posted:

This Miller chat does make me wonder, is there anyone who went from being a tool before 9-11 to becoming a reasonable human being after, or is this extremely rare?

There has to be someone out there, right?

I don't know about any celebrities but I certainly did. After 9/11 I was all about an invasion and revenge. I wasn't in favor of nukes or genocide but I did support the initial invasion of Afghanistan to find and capture Osama Bin Laden and either weaken or splinter Al Qaeda.

It did not take me very long to turn around on that issue after all the facts came out, and I was very much opposed to the shift in focus from Afghanistan to Iraq.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Polygamous families in America are overwhelmingly problematic in that there is tons of abuse and neglect. A lot of them aren't even necessarily between consenting adults and divorce is almost never an option if a wife becomes unhappy.

I'm not saying it should blanket illegal but the whole "durr hurr consenting adults" thing ignores reality. People who say this are typically familiar with polyamory circles and while I'm fully supportive of groups like that, they're a far cry from the average American polygamous marriage.

I know nothing of international polygamy statistics so I won't comment on those.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
The reason conservatives like football and NASCAR is is because they're both really aggressive and dangerous. It's also another reason they all hate Danica Patrick. The fact that she's doing increasingly well as time goes by is proving that all this mystical man power they think the sport requires is total bullshit and they're so insecure about themselves that they see her success as a personal attack on their masculinity.

Same thing with the NFL and helmets.

ReidRansom posted:

As for football, even the massive walls of meat on the line are typically in far better shape than you'd guess by appearance. Even fully suited up and padded, a full force hit would probably kill Limbaugh.

Many linemen are the American equivalent of Sumo wrestlers. Yeah they're fat and have huge guts but they all lift really heavy weights 3 days a week and do cardio. Like you said, they'd splatter your typical conservative media pundit.

Elephant Ambush fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Mar 21, 2013

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

ProperGanderPusher posted:

Isn't there something to be said about the size of our armed forces being necessary as the armed forces of so many of our allies have been scaled down? In order to take on a rising superpower like China, we need to constantly be ahead of them in terms of armaments and in order to maintain our footholds around the world. Call me a Classical Realist, but isn't it better that we be the world hegemon and not somebody else?

This is predicated on the whole dominate-or-be-dominated false dichotomy, as well as a bit a paranoia and xenophobia. I'm not calling you personally a racist or anything. Your question isn't a bad one.

It's just that there's no reason why there always has to be a single dominant #1 world power. And of course most people all over the world think that their country would be the best candidate because that's where they were born and nationalism/jingoism has no boundaries or restrictions.

Ideally it shouldn't matter who has the biggest army or the biggest economy. We should all be at least trying to work together to make the world a better place for everyone. That's the purpose of the UN, which America and China both laugh at and ignore.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Warcabbit posted:

I'm gonna let you think about those two sentences for a bit. I'm just going to write them on cards, and compare them, back and forth.
Then I'm going to hold up a little card called 'World War I' and another one called 'World War II'. Oh, and the Napoleonic Wars, and really, we can keep going back through history as long as you want till we get to the Hittites and their iron chariots.

I'm not saying it's necessary that America has to be the dominant one. But I am saying that in cases where there's a whole bunch of roughly equivalent powers... somehow or other, it winds up being one of them has something the other guy wants, and then it's wartime. It's really _weird_ how that always happens, when they could just get most of what they wanted through peaceful diplomacy. Can't imagine why.

So, you know, as long as you like wars popping up all over the place, sure, no dominant world power.

This is just an appeal to :biotruths: or some poo poo.

Just because there have been shitloads of wars forever doesn't mean that it always has to be that way. We can't give up trying to make things better.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
I think one of the reasons that there are gold ads and stuff on both left and right radio is that political radio ads are cheap to buy. I honestly think that penis pills and Buy Gold and all those places don't care where they advertise, they just buy space on whatever is cheapest.

Plus as we all know there are uninformed loonies on the left too. I mean look at all the neo-hippies that buy into holistic medicine. Those are just the type of people to sling those kinds of ads to.

As much as we love to talk about right wingers needing to be told what they want to hear, there are lefties like that too.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

greatn posted:

I want Mallard Fillmore to make a cartoon about this.

I don't want Mallard Fillmore to make any more cartoons about anything ever again.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

McDowell posted:

The Muslim Brotherhood came to power with a popular vote. The US has subsidized the Israeli and Egyptian governments for years. But I guess Neocons have always been dishonest about the validity of a popular vote.

The 2000 and 20004 elections are recent proof-positive.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

MaxxBot posted:

So Bill O'Reilly called marriage equality opponents "bible thumpers" and said that the proponents have a stronger argument. I know O'Reilly isn't as socially conservative as a lot of other Republican pundits but it's still funny to see someone with such a long history of being a Republican rear end in a top hat turn around and give the middle finger to the majority of his viewership.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/03/26/bill-oreilly-says-same-sex-marriage-foes-are-just-a-bunch-of-bible-thumpers/

You realize that he just says whatever the producers tell him to say right?

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Excuse me but Con Air is a masterpiece in unintentional comedy.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Zwabu posted:

It never ceases to amaze me that conservatives I know who have really good educations, undergrad and grad degrees from decent universities, take their political views and march lockstep with pinheads like Rush and Hannity and Beck when they'd never hire their college dropout asses to help run their company.

They just memorize what the professors want to hear and do whatever it takes to graduate. All they care about is getting the piece of paper that says "I am now entitled to a high salary". Remember that to conservatives, the ends always justify the means.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Even if it was jokingly bad, the joke is still "Black people are stupid and rap isn't real music". That makes it worse than if it was unironic.

ErIog posted:

Did you watch the clip? They set the clip up with her saying, dripping with sarcasm, "rap is such a complex art form." The rap did not exist in a vacuum. It had context, and that context was really loving racist and painfully culturally unaware.

Yep. That sarcastic little remark was definitely the worst part. And yes it was racist as hell because those people think that only black people (and the occasional poor white guy who might as well be black anyway because he's poor) make hip-hop music.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Miltank posted:

Or it was a sarcastic remark by a white lady who knows she is about to spit some of the saddest bars to ever be spat. Everyone is laughing because it is so loving terribly awkward, not because of black people.

Welp, that about wraps it up. Miltank said it's not racist so there's no reason to talk about it anymore. Thanks Miltank! :)

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Zeroisanumber posted:

How do you? What the gently caress? I don't even...

I'm not defending this poo poo in any way, shape, or form, but the more privilege you have, the harder it is to see.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

VH4Ever posted:

This isn't related to the Marathon ranting going on today (and frankly I could go without hearing it too, god it must be awful today) but I wanted to ask you guys where a certain insane thing Sean Hannity always says about Democrats came from.

First he was saying something like "they say Republicans want dirty air, dirty water and to throw Grandma off the cliff, let kids with Autism and Down's Syndrome fend for themselves..." which is of course a big group of out-of-context misquotes....but lately his "Grandma" line has evolved into "and they say we want to punch, stab, kick, beat Grandma with a baseball bat before slicing her throat and throwing her off the cliff.."

What in the everloving gently caress is wrong with this guy? I'm not usually the squeamish type but isn't he worried just a little what his own kids might think hearing him spread such obvious false hatred and vitriolic bile such as this? This is weird to me because, for as often as I have subjected myself to his "show" over the years, this is as graphic as I have ever heard him get. Does anyone have a line on this one and what the original "thing that Obama or another famous Democrat said" that he even gets this from is?

It's just hyperbole to paint Democrats as being unfairly mean to Republicans when in fact all they're doing is correctly blaming Republicans for obstructionism and trying to gently caress over poor people. It's feeding the conservative persecution complex.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

BiggerBoat posted:

I wonder if he realizes that theocratic Muslim governments are very politically conservative?

He'd say it's the "wrong brand" of conservatism. True Patriot, etc.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Death Himself posted:

I mentioned it before but Alan Chartock is my local leftwing human garbage and since we don't have a leftwing human garbage thread I'll mention him here.

Today he's trying to twist up every caller to his show and get them to agree that the surviving 19 year old perp from the Boston bombing should get the death penalty. When someone calls in with a reasonable argument he goes into "what if" overdrive mode: "what if the kid lined up 40 people against a wall and gunned them all down!?!" Of course he hangs up on anyone who doesn't want to play his game. The only difference between him and a rightwing host is that he says thank you in the more sincere tone he can manage before he hangs up.

You usually don't get this kind of stuff on NPR which probably makes me all the more angry at it.

Wait, how does someone calling for the death penalty "leftwing"?

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Y'all have a weird idea of what "left wing" means then. Reminder: American Democrats are only considered left wing in America.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Zeroisanumber posted:

To be fair, those two barbaric motherfuckers are a good argument for keeping it around.

Nah. State-sanctioned murder is still murder.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Agustin Cienfuegos posted:

Was listening to Rush today out of the same morbid curiosity that draws us all in, and he was going off on the Dutch social psychologist or something faking his results so there's proof all science is bunk. It was kinda funny how everything he accused the so-called "left" of doing "brainwashing, promoting ideology over everything else, indoctrinating children through education, etc." was exactly what Republicans/conservatives do. I'm sure there's a name for accusing your supposed enemies of doing exactly what you really do everyday.

Projection.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

BiggerBoat posted:

This whole issue/meme about "Obamaphones" really drives me to distraction and is a perfect example of the effectiveness of right wing messaging. I hear it repeated constantly and I bet if you took a poll, less than half would know it was a program started under Reagan and continued by G.W. Bush. It's petty, childish and intellectually dishonest. In other words, it's the epitome of right wing media and the way they report.

I really hate it when any policy is named after any President. Obamacare and Bush Tax Cuts are equally lovely and stupid to me. All it does is make it easy to assign blame to someone you don't like regardless of the facts or history or context. I go out of my way to say Affordable Care Act.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

hewerman posted:

This seems to say they are just tightwads though. When priced the same, most people went with the more efficient ones. Only when the price was higher did they skip the energy efficient bulbs.

Nope. I've worked with people who were pretty miffed about the new light bulb thing. They don't believe that the government knows better than private industry and they believe that global warming doesn't exist because God would make sure that never happens and stuff like that. Plus they hate and fear change of any kind. They will refuse to buy environmentally friendly anything out of sheer spite.