Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
"Meninist"? Is that a thing now?

*googles* dear god it is, kill me.

Anyway, what group is hosting the debate?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Tardigrade posted:

No idea, but it's apparently part of his "Dangerous human being Tour".
urrrrgh. I'd never heard of him before this, but apparently he's involved with the #ludoportal and has written for Breitbart.

Polybius91 posted:

Depending on who organized this, that could very well be the point. The right loves to take the left's lunatic fringe and depict it as the norm.

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

Who is Julie Bindel? Does she actually hold sway in the feminist community? All I managed to find is that trans rights people really hate her.

Wikipedia says she's a fairly prominent lesbian British feminist whose focus is on protections from various forms of domestic, sexual and physical abuse. She is controversial among feminists (which is not unto itself surprising, and basically comes with the "prominent feminist" title) for 1. being opposed to same-sex marriage(preferring that government only regulate or have a category for civil partnership for all couples) 2. opposed to legalized sex work, and 3. what looks like a gender/sex essentialist standpoint on transsexualism that's been coupled with really obnoxious, inflammatory comments and a significant media blow-up.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Feb 18, 2016

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Tardigrade posted:

Alright then.

Do I hate myself enough to go...

Do it. Also, flirt ACT>FLIRT with both of them.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Aesop Poprock posted:

So she's another gay person who shares all of Milo's dumb views about gay/trans people. What exactly is the point of having this debate if they're both huge pieces of hypocritical trash?

She's, um, not that terrible aside from the trans stuff by most counts. The "governments should only do civil partnerships" position is pretty defensible. I may not like her, but she's miles above an active gamergater that works as an editor for Breitbart. Their intersection is precisely why know who is funding the event is potentially interesting- what's the point of putting them in a room together? Whose agenda does it serve?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

per wikipedia:

quote:

...Michael Savage, is an American radio host, author, activist, nutritionist, and conservative political commentator

I'm not sure there's a better instant crank indicator than to see "nutritionist" in a list of vocations.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

The book was a satire. The film, viewed charitably, tried to have it both ways.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Aesop Poprock posted:

How so? I mean I know people who think the film is badass cause they didn't bother to read anything into it, but it shows what was intoxicating about Fight Club and the idea in general while still ending on a note of "this guy was a self-deluded fake and his entire group of followers are mindless losers"

The short version is that in the book, the cult's hypermacho destruction plan fails, and in the film, it succeeds and he gets the girl. Both works' status as satire are debated, but the film offers a sympathetic enough depiction of/reveling in its events that at a minimum a number of critics, like Ebert, thought it was trying to have and eat its cake.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Feb 21, 2016

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Milo Yiannopoulos

gay icon

(couldn't find any anthropomorphized queer control panel icons, sadly)

You understand of course, Xanderkish, that you need to attend this talk seduce Milo, sleep with him, then reveal you are trans. and directly quote his articles "liberating" the public to use homophobic slurs, or maybe some of the writings of his gamergate buddies on race.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Feb 23, 2016

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Good news, everyone!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCdO5O-54Zg

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

I worked for David Price as an intern, several years ago- he's really good people. He's also been discussing retirement for several terms- he's probably still too afraid of what would happen to his district if he did. "Good" district drawing is a deeply uncertain activity, but NC is one of the most unambiguous examples of bad district drawing.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

Seems in character for him.

loss.jpg reference joke post here.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Why are you citing to real clear politics?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Mr Jaunts posted:

That sure is a lot of white people

Right Wing Media: That sure is a lot of white people

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Chilichimp posted:

I don't know who Matt Walsh is, but he's beginning to grow on me.

Fungal cream joke here.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Here's a different sort of right-wing media:

quote:

Wash. man accidentally kills himself while taking a selfie with his gun, police say
It wasn’t the first photo that the 43-year-old Concrete, Wash., resident had taken with his gun. But it would be the last.
The Skagit Valley Herald reported Wednesday that the man, who officials did not name, fatally shot himself in the face while attempting to take a selfie with what he thought was an unloaded gun.
The man’s girlfriend, who was with him when the gun went off, told authorities that the pair had taken several selfies with the gun throughout the day. The man unloaded the gun before each photo session, then replaced the bullets when they were done.
“Along with all the advantages of the modern world there appear new threats,” Russian official Yelena Alekseyeva said at a news conference, according to CNN. “We would like to remind the citizens that the chase for ‘likes’ in social networks can lead to the road of death.”

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Mo0 posted:

This is :black101: as gently caress and I love it.
Bear in mind that the :black101: quote is from Russia, which published this handy sheet of avatar material:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Nevvy Z posted:

Twice this week I've had people accuse me of being a Marxist. One was an admitted neo nazi.

They reached the canal. It was long and straight and cool and wet and reflective in the night. "I've always wanted to see a Marxist," said Michael. "Where are they, Dad? You promised." "There they are," said Dad, and he shifted Michael on his shoulder and pointed straight down. The Marxists were there. Timothy began to shiver. The Marxists were there--in the canal--reflected in the water. Timothy and Michael and Robert and Mom and Dad. The Martxists stared back up at them for a long, long silent time from the rippling water. . . .

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

That's not a safe spaces issue, it's a general failure of the disciplinary system. It's not clear that the race of the students interviewed would be the focal problem with the process, either.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Epic High Five posted:

This should be a crime in any case, judging by knife/sword enthusiasts I've met over the years

Carrying knives around (with a number of specified exceptions) is actually against campus policy in a bunch of places. A good way to be expelled.

edit: Here's the policy at the campus under discussion. That's a weird blade length limit. The policy is generally poorly worded, especially the knife portion- you can see it was added separately.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Mar 5, 2016

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Mr Interweb posted:

Shame the other thread was closed, but I figured you guys would be interested in this:

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-nevada-bundy-idUSKCN0W52L4

The FBI also arrested that idiot sheriff from a neighboring town that supported the militia guys. :dance:

I wonder if we can get permission from the mods to restart that thread to cover the ongoing legal proceedings- the thread was going OK until...y'know.

Also, do you have a source on Palmer getting arrested? I can't find any media confirming that.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Mar 5, 2016

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

PhazonLink posted:

This would be nice, just heard the news belief on the public radio about some of the remnants are staging some sort of event to honor tarp man.

About 45 events across the country- though their actual attendance is hard to predict.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

The secret service would have made the determination that a visit was necessary, not Trump.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Chilichimp posted:

I doubt they'd have determined that visiting Beck was necessary without some goading.

Yes, they would. The standard for this sort of visit is actually pretty low. The person being protected doesn't really have any say.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

I'd rather the forums replaced the acronym of interest with "skeleton warrior".
(warning- image is suitably sized)

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Jurgan posted:

What's weird to me is that goon self-hatred seems to be based on a collection of stereotypes that all contradict each other. I'm not even sure what the platonic ideal of a "goon" is, except it's whatever the SA poster is mad at at the moment of posting.

We're a big tent forum.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

twistedmentat posted:

This keeps popping up on Facebook
http://gizmodo.com/lawmakers-in-west-virginia-celebrate-legalization-of-ra-1763798946
Wasn't it 2008 where people wanted Raw Milk added to the official Republican Party platform? I can understand hippy dippy "it came from mother earths womb so its good for me" kinds saying that raw milk helps realign your vibrations to the indigo spectrum, but what makes right wingers so obsessed with it? It it because its free from big evil food safety regulations which take away the taste of freedom (and E. Coli)?

You are largely correct, Big Government and Industrial Farms with their Harmful Pasteurization. Pasteurization does reduce the vitamin content of some foods, but not in a way or to a degree that's signficant for human consumers.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

What does his tshirt say? It looks suspiciously like :biotruths:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Epic High Five posted:

Oh and the brief he filed was like 120 pages of total madness

Well, I think it counts as "right wing media": got a source?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I love that there is now an actual split within the shithead Republican Party

ftfy

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

They'll understand better once they drink the water.

After drinking Flint water? Nah, they'll understand worse.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Technically speaking that doesn't qualify as food.

It counts as food, it just can't be labeled as "cheese" without qualifiers in most cases under FDA regs.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Aesop Poprock posted:

American cheese can definitely be labeled as cheese. If you're buying it at a deli or something like that, it's still just a blend of cheeses and isn't different than any other blended or "processed" cheese.

You're thinking of things like Kraft singles which a lot of people seem to think are indistinguishable from American cheese as a whole.

You are wrong. Processed and/or blended cheeses, including American cheese, cannot be labeled as "cheese" without additional qualifiers. I take cheese labeling very seriously. :colbert:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

computer parts posted:

Yes, Atheism is believing there is no God.

An agnostic does not believe in God.

There are a few flavors of agnosticism, which is generally defined by different versions of uncertainty regarding the existence of deities-some are even religious, though I don't know of any that are theistic. One of the big rhetorical successes of the New Atheist movement was to pretend that agnosticism was a form of "weak atheism", letting them be militantly smug on several levels simultaneously, arguing both sides of scientism. I am an ignostic, which means my nonbelief is vintage, free-range, organic, and thus more superior to yours :smug:.

None of this matters very much because the religious right knows that we are all going to hell.

Have a Letter from Birmingham Inverness Jail, authored by the rev- I mean Pete Santilli.

quote:

Ford Fischer: I’m sure the last month has been rather turbulent for you. During that time, News2Share, a media outlet based out of Washington D.C. has been watching the Oregon Wildlife Refuge situation very closely and reporting on it to the best of our ability. As it stands right now, thousands of viewers have been relying on us for coverage of the standoff and its aftermath.

As a journalist, I’m sure you know that the public and the media will now be dissecting the situation. If you have anything you’d like the public to know, please reply to this letter with a statement, information, or anything else you’d like to share. We will make sure it is presented, unaltered, to the public.

Peter Santilli: Thanks so much for reaching out and sending a letter. As you can imagine, daily mail-call has become something ‘very important’ to look forward to.

Before I address your questions, I want to share the most critical information I can with you: My incarceration is in direct retaliation for my criticism of the U.S. government; particularly the F.B.I. My case is a true-blue first amendment case & everyone in alternative media has a stake in the outcome.

Ford Fischer: You wore a vest labeling yourself “PRESS,” but the FBI and other law enforcement agencies have labeled you as a participant, partially relying on your status as a member of Oathkeepers. Do you disagree with their characterization?

Peter Santilli
: Yes, I always wear a vest labeled “PRESS” because I am the free press as I report/broadcast a live stream from the various scenes I’ve covered. The FBI can do whatever they wish to mischaracterize me, but they don’t set the standards, nor can they modify the First Amendment; which ultimately protects my role as I broadcast the truth. I’m not sure who “other agencies” are, but I can tell you this, any “other agency” which is not doing the right thing or is unconstitutional is very fearful of my criticism – I have gone after many of them fearlessly. Their mischaracterization is mere retaliation against me for calling them out when they deserve it.

As to “relying on my status as a member of Oathkeepers,” I am not sure where you got that, but Stewart Rhodes has relied upon my endorsement of his organization. You have it backwards – or someone does – The Oathkeepers relies [sic] upon my good words. When I criticize them, Stewart R panics!

Ford Fischer: Is there anything you would have done differently?

Peter Santilli: Would I have done anything differently? At this very moment, I am extremely disappointed in the patriot community. Knowing what I know now, I’m not sure I would have invested so much energy or had so much faith that patriots would rise (peacefully) to the call. When I get out, I don’t think I’ll be doing very much in terms of tallying patriots because I’m not sure if Americans really want to do anything about saving our country. Sounds sad, but it’s truly how I feel.

Ford Fischer: Having spent extensive time with the militia very closely as a member of the press, do you think there’s anything the public or media misunderstand/misrepresent about what’s happened over the past month?

Peter Santilli
: The “Militia”: Please share this with everyone WE ARE ALL THE MILITIA. It’s so important for everyone to understand this. Read the Federalist Papers to understand exactly what our founding fathers intended with the 2nd Amendment as it related to the militia. It was very specific.

Ford Fischer: What do you want the public, particularly those who disagree with the occupiers’ actions, to know about the group’s actions and motivations?

Peter Santilli
: To those who “disagree with occupier’s actions…”

1) Trespassers who walked into the refuge & made themselves comfortable didn’t deserve to die. None of them.

2) Agree or disagree, it doesn’t change the core constitutional principles they stood for: The U.S. Constitution/Article 1/Section 8/Clause 17 which states very specifically what the U.S. government can/can’t own with respect to land. So, you could have 100,000 people who disagree with how they took over the refuge, and 10 people saying “Article 1/Sect8/Para 17” says the gov’t can’t own a refuge & t belongs to the country and state. I would have to side with the 10 people & The U.S. Constitution and ignore the 100,000 whiney, butt-hurt fake-triots who complain about the style or cleanliness in how we restore constitutionality.

Always Remember: I came here with a megaphone, camera, and my mouth.

People at the FBI can’t stand how truthful I am so they threw me in jail to try to silence me. I [sic] will only make me louder!

Semper Fidelis,

Pete Santilli

Heck, here, have a second one from the inexplicably located thread in YCS:

cumshitter posted:

Yeah, they'll get 'em with the old Miracle on 34th Street defense.

"Your honor, my client inspired this many death threats to the public officials of Harney County!" as postal workers dump bag after bag of letters on the court room floor.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Mar 29, 2016

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Life Site News thinks they found an irony to "bathroom bills"

The gender-neutral bathrooms part seems like a valid criticism.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Maybe read my post again? The NBA doesn't mandate gender-neutral bathrooms at their arenas, to my knowledge.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

At a minimum they haven't enforced an internal policy of the same standard they want NC to preserve, so their political stand appears opportunistic rather than derived from a prior moral position. It would be clearer if there was a record of the NBA's position on transgendered individuals in the past, but that's kinda hard to locate atm, of course. The NCAA has a very good record, I think- they implemented guidelines on the subject years ago.

On the bright side, the NBA didn't let their name get used in Juwanna Mann or Juwanna Mann 2, so that's a positive indicator!

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Ben Shapiro was giving a speech in my officebuilding this evening. A kinder, gentler Breitbart attention-seeker.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

#conservativebabes

How does that work?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Mister Macys posted:

So, they traded one sexual pose for another, more iconic one.

What a wonderful reason to not purchase their game.

vvvv Well, Blizzard keeps confirming my suspicion that they are the devil.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Apr 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Is the blizzard character designer Robert Liefeld, because that's the first thing I thought of when I saw the first Tracer pose, and now that I see this other character....

vvv Ask and ye shall receive.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Apr 8, 2016