Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Popular Thug Drink posted:

i thought itwas a common thing that bathrooms are effectively transgender if they only hold one occupant at a time

some places i go don't even bother gendering their bathrooms it's just "piss/poo poo in here"

i took a suburban friend out to a bar and she was terribly, terribly confused and had a difficult time because she refused to use an ungendered bathroom out of fear that she would be in the wrong one lmbo

Tbh, given the proportions involved here, that's usually the rational solution. Most trans people will be perfectly happy using whichever bathroom best fits their anatomical needs and/or personal preference, and for everyone else, there's a single-occupant restroom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Guilty Spork posted:

I dunno. Where are the men actually doing something about workplace deaths rather than merely using it as a contrived cudgel against feminists?

I believe those are called "unions" and "OSHA."

ED: But they also include women. Dammit feminists!

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Luminous Obscurity posted:

Side note, as someone who is actually in the military in an actual combat job, pull-ups don't mean a loving thing. Neither do push-ups, really. Endurance is probably the biggest physical requirement, and that's mostly mental anyway. Gender only matters to the weird dudes who tie being a soldier to being a man and are scared of women outperforming them at "being a man."

I've seen some studies suggesting women are in fact better at long-term endurance tasks, such as long-distance running. Something about burning more fat and less carbohydrates per unit of time. Another bell-curve type of distinction that has very little relevance when you're talking about highly selected populations like the SEALS, obviously, but hilarious given the rhetoric. They're also supposed to be awesome sharpshooters? I have literally no links for that one though, that's just what my army friends say.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

beatlegs posted:

Oh a lot of people had an issue but were always hand-waved away as if they were crazy partisan lunatics, even by the msm.

That's partially because most such battles have historically been very local affairs. Here in Virginia we've had a few occasions where people attempted to put up prominent, visible Confederate flags in places like along interstates, only to meet with widespread opposition that I don't think they really expected. (Only one, to my knowledge, has recently succeeded; amusingly a local group put up an even larger US flag on the opposite side of the interstate in response.)

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Xanderkish posted:

I've been wondering recently why reddit is so predominantly libertarian and conservative while tumblr is a lot more liberal. I don't think it's just coincidence, I feel like it has something to do with the design of the websites. Like Reddit aggregates the most popular posts, so it will naturally support status quo type things, but tumblr allows people to choose who they subscribe to, so it gives more voice to minorities. It's just a thought, but I'm intrigued by it.

It's just the userbase they captured from the get-go. Tumblr got a lot of imports from LiveJournal, which led to its particular brand of cringe. Reddit got the people from Digg, who were technolibertarian or brogressive at best. You get shifts as different people move in and out but those core communities never really changed.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

QwertyAsher posted:

Reddit's sorting algorithm brutally punishes anything that takes longer than a few seconds to understand, and content gets treated much more "fairly" by tumblrs chronological listings. There's a whole bunch of reasons why reddit is the way it is, but that's one of them.

TBH while I think you're right about Reddit's format punishing anything that requires depth of thought, I think the Internet in general is a powerful force in that direction as well. No social media site really rewards independent research about what you're reading (unless there's some sort of social media site out that that's literally nothing but peer-reviewed papers that I don't know about?), and Tumblr is no exception. I've seen more than enough poorly-researched "awareness campaigns" and completely factually incorrect pleas for action reach the stratosphere to know that. It's just more rewarding to hammer on the drug-releasing buttons of the human psyche, like EMOTIONAL OUTRAGE and TURNS OUT YOU WERE ALWAYS RIGHT AND THE OTHER PERSON WAS VERY WRONG FOREVER and LOOK A FUN FACT THAT YOU SHOULD NOT GOOGLE OR THINK ABOUT AT ALL.

All the same things right-wing media has learned how to do! My what smart monkeys humans are.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

computer parts posted:

Part of why I believe "tumblr" is more often than not code for "women".

Mostly "fourteen to twenty-four year old mostly-white upper-class women," yes. And Reddit is code for "fourteen to twenty-four year old white upper class men." And Pinterest, God help us all, is code for "thirty to fifty year old very-white upper-class women." Something Awful Dot Com is code for something, too, but it beats me what that is.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Chalets the Baka posted:

Everyone who would be targeted should be extremely concerned and arming themselves right now.

Yeah, we make fun of people when they say panicky poo poo like this 'round these parts.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Zanzibar Ham posted:

And unfortunately it's not exclusive to MRA threads. Feminism threads attract them too.

"but what about the men??"

Literally all threads on SA mocking people doing stupid things (especially stupid things that happen on the Internet) attract people who sympathize with the people being mocked. Reddit threads attract people who read and/or post on reddit, MRA mock threads attract MRAs, the tumblr thread attracts tumblrs whenever it's not gassed, a thread mocking literal Nazis would undoubtedly attract Nazis. Each of them insists that all the other things Something Awful Dot Com mocks is, indeed, Awful, but this thing is simply Something Misunderstood.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Leofish posted:

In the Iliad and the Odyssey, they frequently make reference to the need to water down the wine before they drink it. They had special bowls just for that purpose, some of which were supposedly quite nice. I'm not sure how historically accurate that particular factoid is, but it came up often enough as to be noticeable.

In the classical and ancient Hellenic world, which definitely included Roman Judea, wine was watered as a matter of course, probably because the booze was so strong. This doesn't mean it wasn't intoxicating, though; quite the opposite. I've heard it argued that when the Biblical account refers to the wine being the quality stuff it means there's less water mixed with it.

Fun fact: if you were at a really hopping Roman party and were the guest of honor-- say, the dude getting betrothed to your host's daughter or something-- you'd be the arbiter bibendi, the wine judge, and you'd be the one who got to determine how much water to mix with the wine. So always get in good with the arbiter bibendi when you're at a Roman kegger.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

FetusSlapper posted:

That is what I was taught in 8th grade typing class. I don't know when the standards changed. That class was a lot of bullshit but I'm glad I learned touch typing.

How long does Rush have on his current radio contract? I have to assume, baring even more sponsors fleeing the brand; that he's going to have to go to podcast or something like Glen Beck did. Or maybe he'll just retire to his trump-esque gold gilded penthouse.

Officially the two-space rule was never a typographic best-practice, but it was commonly used on typewriters employing monospace fonts, because it helped sentence divisions stand out in a sea of relatively large whitespace gaps. Since typewriters were slain in single combat by the personal computer it's been a long struggle to excise what people were taught in their typewriter-era typing classes (and what they went on to teach kids in their typing classes, et cetera). The practice today in most manuals of style is a single space between sentences, unless it's a draft, when you can use extra spaces to allow for space to draw proofing symbols.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Magres posted:

It's because when your only social identity is "A Gamer" and your life revolves around your video game hobby, a criticism of a game you like becomes a personal attack on you for liking that game. People are weird and have trouble separating "I think there's a problem with this thing you like" from "I think there's a problem with you for liking this thing that I think has a problem."

This is not just gamers, as is evident to anyone who is self-destructive enough to read Cinema Discusso, TVIV, or (god help us) RSF. We're wired to be defensive of our preferences and past choices, even ones as inconsequential as "I like games with sexually-attractive people in them." :shrug:

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

twistedmentat posted:

I don't even think that would happen because people post hateful, racist stuff on facebook all the time with their real names, jobs, and family members names right there.

I caused a derail in the conspiracy thread by posting that the guy who runs the FB page "Statist idiot of the day" was Korean and felt that because he was a minority, he was immune to being racist. Then goons chimed in that in order to be racist, you had to be able to exert power over other people, and therefor minorities cannot be racist :psyduck:.

Confusion between the individual and institutional scale, pretty common on The Interwebs and in leftist circles used to combatting accusations of "reverse racism." It's one thing to point out that, say, affirmative action isn't racism because it's meant to redress society-level imbalances in power, and quite another to insist that all minorities are incapable of holding and abusing positions of petty power.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Bast Relief posted:

Teamsters United for Trump. Thank you NPR for interviewing this group and allowing them to describe how the union boss at some event didn't ask the crowd how many trump supporters there were because totally too many people would raise their hands and that NOBODY likes Hillary. Also, the main concern is that non union workers are making such terrible wages. Trump is somehow going to fix that. Thank you so much NPR for just letting this idiot speak without asking him any hard questions.

It's important to remember that npr isn't just one thing, but their news wing is terrified of further pissing off Republicans and getting all their funding taken away. :smith: So they've been avoiding asking hard questions for a while. A lot of the other programming is good though, the other day I listened to a mockumentary on On The Media about the disastrous Donald Trump Presidency.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Narciss posted:

You think NPR is softballing Trump supporters because they don't want to piss off the GOP?

It's more like they're soft balling everyone because they don't want to piss off anyone, which is what happens when you half rear end your public-funded media and make them hyper reliant on the goodwill of the very people they report on.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Popular Thug Drink posted:

that and the american center-left worships level headed rational discussion in a slow measured tone

That's a factor too. People mistake hard questions and willingness to tell subjects to gently caress off for being partisan and bad because it's very easy to use that style in the service of partisan fuckery, cf every other post in this thread.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Countblanc posted:

I know my mother, a financial conservative, told me she'd vote dem for the first time in many, many elections if Trump was the Republican nominee. I think you're going to see a lot of weird cross-party voting from both sides in the event of a Hillary/Trump election.

Don't expect many real-life human beings who typically vote Democratic to vote for Trump. Obviously there's always someone (at least a few racist union dudes, in all likelihood) but the Internet tends to magnify that particular stupid stance way beyond its actual prevalence. Democrats and Independents both quite like Hillary, overall. I'm more confident about the moderate Republicans jumping ship out of sheer self-preservation, but don't have any numbers to elevate that beyond the anecdotal either.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

A properly designed and fairly administered history and civics test would disenfranchise more of Walsh's "right people" than not, I'd wager. Hell, it'd give an built-in bonus to immigrants, who already have to pass a quite difficult one to become citizens! Somewhere, a finger on the monkey's paw is curling up.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

nachos posted:

Yeah where is the women's outrage over this?

Probably getting drowned out by other things, like usual.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Beef Hardcheese posted:

This made the rounds on social media last month. It was at a Kroger supermarket in Athens Georgia, which is a college town and a lot more liberal leaning than the rest of the state. It's weird because I always thought that this was kind of the purpose of the "family" bathrooms, and have never given them a second thought. I live in Georgia, and while these aren't everywhere they're not uncommon either. Are these bathrooms uncommon enough that the reasoning behind them needs to be spelled out?

No, but putting that reasoning there can make people feel more warm and fuzzy about them and/or more comfortable about using them if you aren't necessarily a "family." It's corporate PR, but it's nice corporate PR that decent-minded people agree with so meh.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Aesop Poprock posted:

The color blue actually has a pretty interesting history and it was one of the last primary colors to be recognized/get a name in western culture!

https://www.dunnedwards.com/colors/specs/posts/the-history-and-science-behind-the-color-blue

hosed up if blue.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

OgNar posted:

"The lawsuit accused Mr. DeSantis of a “relentless campaign to weaponize government power against Disney in retaliation for expressing a political viewpoint.” The campaign, the complaint added, “now threatens Disney’s business operations, jeopardizes its economic future in the region and violates its constitutional rights.”"

"Taryn Fenske, a spokeswoman for Mr. DeSantis, called the lawsuit “yet another unfortunate example of their hope to undermine the will of the Florida voters and operate outside the bounds of the law.” She added, “We are unaware of any legal right that a company has to operate its own government or maintain special privileges not held by other businesses in the state.”"

This is basically the Donald Trump "I had the authority to do it so it couldn't be corrupt" argument. Ignore that we were doing something for super illegal reasons, because the thing itself was totally fine!

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Prism posted:

While talking about a rail line, he said "We’re talking about building — and I had my team putting together with other countries as well — to build a railroad from the Pacific Ocean — from the Atlantic Ocean all the way to the Indian Ocean."

People who want to attack him immediately went all in on calling it the amazing underwater railway by ignoring the immediate correction. The railway is actually supposed to go across sub-Saharan Africa and does indeed go from the Atlantic Ocean to the Indian Ocean.

That does sound like a potentially good and useful piece of infrastructure, and I'm always in favor of trains, but I do still kind of wish I lived in the Dark Brandon universe where the US government was leading a multinational consortium to build an intercontinental undersea railway.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

MrUnderbridge posted:

Virginia did that in 1924. One drop of anything besides white in your background and you were now legally whatever that was.

Which was devastating to Virginia high society people who had proudly declared Pocahontas as a distant ancestor.

Which is why the FFVs persuaded them to include the Pocahontas Clause, excluding from the one drop rule "persons who have one-sixteenth or less of the blood of the American Indian and have no other non-Caucasic blood." :v: Never underestimate the determination of old white high society people to have their racism cake and eat it too!

The act had racist aftershocks right up to the present day, too. As a knock-on effect, the law was used to justify classifying members of Virginia Indian tribes as black, because the one rear end in a top hat registrar decided that there must be loads of black people pretending to be Chickahominy or whatever to get around segregation. This was a serious impediment when Virginia's tribes were seeking federal recognition.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Oh yeah he's a well known local weirdo, he's been showing up with his gently caress Biden sign on random street corners and bridges for a while. He's definitely out to get a reaction; I don't know whether it's true or not, but I've heard speculation that he's basically trying to bait people into giving him dubious grounds to sue. Whether that's the case or not, he does seem to be making bigger scenes as people get used to his bullshit.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Guys with earrings being mentioned reminds me of my family insisting the only acceptable dress for a man was a suit, no accessories. Apparently everyone in my family above 50 thinks this is just standard practice.

A dark suit, ofc. If you dared say, a tan suit, the bill of rights would explode and all the founding fathers would come out of their graves to cry

That's part of what's so depressing about Traditional White American Masculinity. Not only is it suffocatingly strict, it's also incredibly boring.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

The real crime is being named Ariana the Great and not even conquering, like, part of Anatolia or Persia.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Mustang posted:

That makes me think about what archaeology will be like centuries or millennia from now and you have to dig through digital data. What if some "lost" piece of data gets found on someone's old hard drive?

I am an archaeologist and this is a serious area of study within the field right now! Not only does it have implications for the ability to conduct research and access records in the future, but there are also questions about how you conceive of and conduct entirely-digital archaeologies, inferring the existence of lost or deleted digital artifacts via oblique references and the voids they leave behind, that kind of thing.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

FlamingLiberal posted:

Andrew Tate is so loving weird.

"Enjoying sex with women is gay"

"Not producing many children via sex with women is gay"

So, like, the platonic ideal of a heterosexual man is having a moderate amount of sex with women, but not enjoying it? Someone should introduce this guy to King James I/VI, he fits the bill perfectly and I'm sure Tate would have no issues with him whatsoever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

dr_rat posted:

If you just look at the image a little closer I think you'll find.... yep, perfectly normal god fearing Republican family.

Old God fearing still counts as God fearing.