Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Nimmy posted:

E: If I was him, I'd make a big stink about "going Galt" after Obama wins, then just retire to the Cayman Islands or something. I think that's the easiest exit strategy for him.

Why bother? An Obama win is another four years of money in the bank. Your whole 'rebel speaking the truth' schtick works a lot better when a Dem is in the White House.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Literally pulling yourself up by your bootstraps is impossible, which is the entire point of the phrase. It's supposed to be patently ridiculous. Modern conservatives miss this and think it's something that you can and should do.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Soap Bat Derby posted:

It was never meant to be literal, it was always meant to imply unironically what we use it for ironically: "gently caress you, do it yourself, cause I ain't gonna help you". Accomplishing the impossible without any help has always been its meaning, it's only lately that such sentiments are mocked for the tripe they are.

No poo poo it wasn't meant literally. But you have it backwards. It originally was a sarcastic term lampooning the "gently caress you, do it yourself" attitude by correctly pointing out that doing so was as impossible as pulling yourself up by your own bootstraps. Only in more recent times has it turned into this folksy unironic phrase for accomplishing the difficult.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

sean10mm posted:

The "Outsmarted by Mark Twain Club" has always had a huge membership.

The portrayal of Jim is problematic and racist. Paul Moses articulated it most clearly. Wayne Booth touches on it in the introduction to The Company We Keep.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

The Huffpo article says that in the five days following the hurricane, there was not a single homicide in all of NYC.

Also, I think LaPierre was thinking about the South Bronx, but got his boroughs mixed up because he is an idiot. When I think of roving gangs of looters in Brooklyn, I think of the cast of Girls knocking over a vintage vinyl store.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

WoodrowSkillson posted:

To be fair, Del Rio is a Mexican aristocrat who drives different ultra expensive cars to the ring every time and had a pseudo Million Dollar Man thing going on. Which sadly is a change for the treatment of Latinos in wrestling which is normally defaulted to cholo gangster who wears flannels and says Ese a lot.

I thought the WWE had heartily embraced luchadores and the normal treatment for Latinos was to make them wear a really awesome mask.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Walter posted:

He sure showed those conservative guys what's what by buying an offensive username from their pay email service.

Reagan.com email addresses were free when the site first went up.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

bobkatt013 posted:

We will give them an apology if they promise to take Madonna back

Madonna is from Michigan.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

bobkatt013 posted:

I know but as I said we will give the UK an apolgy if they take Madonna and also Piers Morgan back.

But you can't take back something that never belonged to you. :confused:

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Zeroisanumber posted:

Maybe if you use science you can wring Guy Richie's career back out of her.

The Sherlock Holmes films are miles better than Snatch or Lock Stock. :colbert:

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

bobkatt013 posted:

Do you remember when she thought she was british and spoke with the fake british accent?

Midge was just putting on a show like she always does. :v:

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I'd be more interested in comparing the reactions to Scott Brown's nearly nude shots.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I love how he gets himself so worked up and starts shouting words at random. He is truly the nuttiest nut to take wing.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Naga Warlord posted:

The Constitution! Liberty! Tyranny! The Constitution!

I phrased my statement poorly. It's even better than that. He doesn't just shout a random word out of context. He starts shouting in the middle of a sentence with no build up, and it is hysterical to hear him lose it like that. I can't even type a hypothetical example because when I do, I inevitably put the emphasis on the words you'd think someone yelling would emphasize, but Levin will just yell out a word in an otherwise perfectly calm and collected sentence.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I see that there. posted:

Sean Hannity had a guest on the other day who was giving a workshop on how to talk through sexual issues people deem deviant, such as incest and bestiality.

Before her, he had a caller who was responding to a piece he had done on a nudist resort. Apparently Sean trotted out all the old jokes about nudists, and the caller tried to correct him. The caller identified himself as a conservative and a big fan of Sean's, but Sean couldn't help himself. He had to constantly attempt to rile up the caller by referring to nudist resorts as nudist colonies (which the caller rightly noted made them sound like the were lepers) and he wasn't going to let the caller forget that he thought he was a weirdo and a deviant. I felt bad for the nudist. Here he was asking his hero to lay off, and all his hero could do was lay it on even thicker.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Eulogistics posted:

He was presumably raised in South Korea, which has a 30% Christian population.

I thought they were supposed to be North Korean terrorists/special forces/bogeymen.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

We learn all that in a scene chewing monologue I hope.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Of course his room wasn't bugged. Someone at the meeting taped it and released it.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

richardfun posted:

What lovely corner of the globe are you from?

America. I've heard "jew" used as a verb for ripping people off everywhere from New York to Florida to Texas. Hell, I still have a terrible habit of saying I'm being "jewy" when I don't want to spend money.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Warchicken posted:

Did this really happen? Frankly, this type of poo poo is exactly why people want to loving bomb us. Tackling someone near a bombing because he looks arab? It's just loving embarrassing at this point.

People want to bomb us because our government bombs them, not because some shocked and scared victims of an attack engaged in some foolish stereotyping.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

mr. mephistopheles posted:

We bomb them because of a pervasive otherizing founded on racism and nationalism that allows the average American citizen to view it as murdering "the enemy" and not actual human beings, which is the same mindset that causes people to state things like a man with dark skin in a place he should not be must be a non-citizen (odd how that applies to both the main bombing suspect and the president) and surely some good white American saw him acting suspicious but did nothing because of POLITICAL CORRECTNESS and not because of apathy or selfish disregard.

So yeah, technically you're right, but those actions and their justifications all come from the same ugly place.

We bomb them to maintain and demonstrate our hegemony. The systematic otherization is what we do to feel okay about bombing them. Otherwise, I agree completely. However, I don't think it's right to get upset with the victims of an attack for behaving the way they have been conditioned to behave.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Fair trials and due process are only enshrined for decent God-fearing Americans, not foreign born terrorist rats. For all the time you guys spend talking about it, you still have a ton of difficulty understanding the conservative mindset. :v:

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

HaitianDivorce posted:

Didn't the 7th book imply that the wizards were dealing with their own fascists at the time,, led by that one dude Dumbledore had a crush on? Grindlewald or something? (I hate you for getting me to type this)

There's no implication. Grindelwald and his order were clearly fascist. What is implied is that he may have been secretly using the Nazis and other fascist groups to further his aims.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Eh, this kind of poo poo is reserved for fringe cases like Alex Jones and Glenn Beck to a degree. The heavy hitters like Limbaugh don't believe this poo poo.

It's never stated so explicitly, but it's there even in the mainstream, which is why you have actual elected officials going on about Agenda 21.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

quote:

“We had our own farm once. Land. Rolling hills. Green fields. We raised animals, crops. We owned property. It was ours.”
“What happened to it? Where was it?”
“The Midwest. A bank took it.”

I fixed it.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Devour posted:

I found it pretty pethetic watching the poeple outside the courthouse on TV chanting, "USA! USA! USA!" after her verdict came in. I mean seriously? Everytime a murderer gets a guilty verdict now we're just going to start chanting poo poo like that? I really don't see the connection, then again this is the same state that Joe Arpaio lives in.

I don't know. Chanting "USA!" when our justice system works beats most of the reasons why we usually chant it.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Hulk Hogan was losing and needed our help, what are you some sort of traitor?

I said most of the reasons.

Nonsense posted:

What if the Koch Bros. bought CNN?

At least there would be some direction to what they're doing.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Obligatory reminder: Ryan Adams is not Bryan Adams. Ryan Adams is cool.

The correct answer is: neither is cool.

And holy poo poo would I love to watch a debate moderated by Levin. Master Shake randomly yelling parts of questions at a group of wingnuts trying to demonstrate who is the craziest could very well be the funniest thing on television since the cancellation of Bored to Death.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I try to flip it on the wingnuts I talk to: "wait, you mean you weren't outraged that an adult could shoot a child and get away with it?" Take race out of the equation and watch them shame themselves by trying to dog-whistle it back in.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

eviltastic posted:

Read the guy's other articles. It's trolling, but it's not satire.

He strikes me as the kind of guy who would say, "I know it's in jest, but don't we owe it to ourselves to seriously consider Mr. Swift's proposal?"

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Guilty Spork posted:

Here's a tip for anyone out there who is interested in getting into the exciting field of satire:

Try to not have your satire look exactly like what a large group of people routinely say in utter seriousness.
I realize there are crazy people out there who make this a difficult task, but it's well worth the effort! :thumbsup:

That's a bad tip. The best satirists are all but impossible to differentiate from the people they satirize. "A Modest Proposal" worked because it looked like a serious proposal for how to fix the "Irish Problem." Colbert's brilliance comes from acting just like Bill O'Reilly, but having people laugh at him for doing so.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Guilty Spork posted:

Colbert is really easy to distinguish from an actual right-wing pundit though? Like, so easy that we make fun of and/or scratch our heads at the people who can't figure it out. I'd like to see more satire that looks like the Colbert Report, and less that looks like just some random rear end in a top hat unless you squint at it really hard in just the right way like it's some kind of political stereogram.

Colbert is easy to distinguish from his context: thirty minute show spun off a fake new show on a channel dedicated to comedy. And bits like "The Word" contain clear enough winks and tip-offs, but what makes him so genius is that without that stuff, he is nearly indistinguishable from a Fox News pundit. He rarely drops character for more than a second, and it's either because he cracks up or because he's talking about something personal and non-political. That's how, despite all the context clues, there are people who believe that he is a conservative. Obviously, I'm only talking about his role on the show. He doesn't live the charade as made clear by his congressional appearance.

All satire requires some sort of wink or nod to indicate its purpose to the audience, but the more obvious that tell is, the less effective the satire is. The best Onion bits are those you don't immediately recognize as bits. Swift is held up as an example of great satire because "Proposal" does sound just like some random rear end in a top hat until you squint at it the right way, or what is more likely the case, your junior high English teacher lets you in on the joke.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I refuse to believe that piece of poo poo is capable of sleeping at night. :v:

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

ProperGanderPusher posted:

empathy is just a meaningless buzzword invented by the takers to sucker you out of your wealth.

Welcome to Objectivism!

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

More about [allegedly] left-wing media shifting the Overton window than right-wing media, but apparently Chuck Todd said that it's not the media's job to say that the GOP is full of poo poo on Obamacare because they have 'out-messaged' Obama on it:

http://www.mediaite.com/online/did-chuck-todd-really-say-media-not-responsible-to-correct-obamacare-falsehoods/

Except, according to that article, Chuck Todd didn't really say that.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Tibeerius posted:

I dunno, after reading the entire article all I see is a lot of hair-splitting. The most charitable interpretation of Todd's remarks is that he doesn't believe that the media should be blamed for failures in Democratic messaging.

Frankly, I think that claim is bullshit. "Messaging" does not occur in a vacuum. There's no way to separate "messaging" from "the media"; the two are inextricably linked. If you, as a media organization, give "equal time" to the Truth and to the Lie, you bear some responsibility when the Lie overtakes the Truth. You are actively subverting the messaging of the Truth.

Splitting hairs goes both ways. Both the media and the Democrats failed. Calling out one doesn't mean you're forgiving the other. And to be fair, the ultimate responsibility to sell Democratic policies to the American people does lie with the Democratic Party, who did blow the messaging war. Also, the media isn't some monolithic organization with a focused agenda. The Democratic Party arguably is. :v:

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

TASTE THE PAIN!! posted:

Has anyone ever figured out how Michael Savage does his while show with his own cock in his mouth? It's quite impressive really. He can't do a show without stating how he's the best in the world at X, Y, and Z.

It's a very small cock. :v:

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Business Gorillas posted:

You can hear how old she is.

She suffers from spasmodic dysphonia.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

emptyspace posted:

Ted Nugent and Victoria Jackson beat him to this by a couple of years.

One day, Victoria will reveal that it was all one giant Kaufman-esque performance piece. I have faith.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I think they are just absolutely desperate to see a Democratic president go through the same thing and they're freaking the gently caress out because times running low and there's nothing on the level of Iraq to pin on him.

I think this is exactly what's going on. I've heard many conservatives complain about Obama's treatment by the press in comparison to Bush's, how they tore Bush apart and mollycoddle Obama. They either get flustered or ramble through the list of not-scandals when you remind them that Bush was the press's golden child until it was clear that invading Iraq was a tragic farce of epic proportions.