Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Minghawk posted:

This is why Clear Channel has always been a difficult name for me to wrap my head around when it's mentioned in the context of radio. I can't think of them as anything other than the company that owns almost every billboard in the UK.

They own most of them in the US, too! :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Maher's not on MSNBC (he's on HBO), and neither is Olbermann anymore (I'm not sure what he's on these days).

I don't honestly recall any segments on MSNBC in recent days where Maddow or Matthews or Sharpton or anyone took conservative voters to task or ripped on Republicans as a whole as being idiots. They do talk about specific conservative individuals or groups that have done something particularly repugnant (and also newsworthy); but I don't recall ever seeing them leading up to the election (or after) saying "Republicans, what a bunch of rubes" in terms of the actual Republican electorate (now, Republican media types and politicians being rubes is a different story :v:).

Yeah, one thing that's particularly disturbing about having in-laws immersed in right-wing media is that they will openly call liberals "stupid" or "insane" in front of my wife and I (we are both quite left-leaning). I know for a fact they get all their talking points verbatim from Fox News and Beck's radio show. In a way it's the ultimate iteration of conservatives projecting their flaws onto liberals

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Those magazine covers are terrible, but still better than I would have expected from a tea party magazine.

Lucky for your expectations, that's not really what it is. It's the NRA's "pure news" magazine

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Foxnews.com has something about a zombie uprising and some very questionable captions right now. Looks like they may have been hacked or maybe someone's just drinking on the job.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
And it's gone, nuts.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Limbaugh, like Scalia and Thomas, will probably never die because tiny molecules of spite cleanse their bodies of disease and age

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
I, for one, didn't know that the entire thing was just characters they all put on (I mean above and beyond the obviously partly staged nature of the show), so I think for some people he is

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
the vandalism was "(that sucks because of Phil)" not the initialism part, in case anyone missed it

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
It's really, really too bad the Daily Show and Colbert are going on break right now. This Phil Robertson thing is just endless material.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/gop-congressional-candidate-compares-duck-dynasty-star-to-rosa-parks

quote:

GOP Congressional Candidate: Duck Dynasty Star Is 'Rosa Parks Of Our Generation

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
As someone pointed out to me, the best part is actually that Phil Robertson said (by analogy) Rosa Parks would've been happier/better off going to the back of the bus, only for this doofus to come out and compare him to Parks . . .

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
It's undoubtedly right wing and media so I'm not sure where else you'd discuss it

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2014/01/20/hannity_threatens_to_leave_new_york_after_cuomos_anti-conservative_rant.html

Hannity "threatening" to move to Florida because Cuomo was a meanie. good riddance I guess

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Lycus posted:

I like how his four questions perfectly illustrate how the goalposts moved over time. It used to be "temperatures aren't rising". Then it was "temperatures are rising, but it's completely natural." Then "temperatures are rising and its man-made, but it's no big deal". Now "even if it's problem, we can't do anything about it anyway"

That last was actually a talking point as early as 2010--I worked with a super-right-wing Fox News parrot (he even attended that stupid Glenn Beck rally) who brought up global warming at a meeting one day and said that if it was really happening, we should just learn to accept it and people should move away from the coasts :confused:

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/dinesh-dsouza-campaign-finance-indictment

"Dinesh D'Souza Charged With Campaign Finance Fraud"

Can't deny that I'm gleeful this is happening

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Fox was really mad about the Seuss adaptation from 2012 or 2013 being "anti-capitalist" too. I can't remember the name of the movie right now.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
For reference, The Beast:

precisely the kind of thing macho types would normally find cool, but they can't be arsed to learn about it

edit: better readability

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Race Realists posted:

i see noone here is talking about dark enlightenment

good, i guess.

Of course I had to google this. http://www.vocativ.com/culture/uncategorized/dark-enlightenment-creepy-internet-movement-youd-better-take-seriously/

and of course it's stupid as gently caress

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

moths posted:

What is the beef conservatives have with the UN, anyway? My wife's job had a jar collecting for UNICEF and customers were straight-up hateful of it because they were going to take guns away? But other than landmine issues and rescuing child soldiers UNICEF has zero intersection with weapons.

Anything from "it ties the US's hands in foreign policy" to "it's incompetent" to "it's trying to form one world government." Actually probably all at once for a lot of conservatives. Just like Obama is a blithering idiot ultimate mastermind.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
TPM says Harry Reid just called the Bundy people domestic terrorists, so look for that to be beaten into the ground by every RWM outlet for months

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

handbanana125 posted:

Not to break up the Bundy chat, but here's another Conservative hero going off and saying something incredibly stupid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7vdAlzh-jo

For someone running on a Christian platform, it is weird how she related Baptism, THE big sacrament with the torture and degradation of her/the state's "enemies". Like this whole thing is just so weird and gross that I cannot for the life of me see where she is coming from. I think the juxtaposition of that comment goes quite a ways in exposing the double standards that area of the political world has setup for itself.

Yeah, it's Palin so gaffes and stupid poo poo are her go-to thing when stumping around but holy poo poo. I never post in here, so perhaps my way of putting this clip out is a little clumsy, but goddamn this was like a punch in the balls, even for someone who lives in a hugely conservative state.

It's all good, normally someone would just post an article about the video but posting it directly is arguably better (or at least definitely important). Anyway I think it's hilarious that she/anyone still thinks that kind of "discourse" benefits the party in any way. Guys, your base is already whipped into a frenzy constantly just by virtue of Obama's existence, it's time to broaden your appeal

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Zeroisanumber posted:

I'm certain that the league was talking to the players on the Clippers almost immediately to make sure that they didn't boycott and cost the NBA a bunch of money, especially after Golden State said that they wouldn't accept a win by default.

Commissioner Silver did a pretty good job of managing the situation considering that the players were about a half-step away from open revolt on Sunday afternoon.

LeBron James has posted a reaction to Twitter:

Something about that LeBron tweet makes me think of KJI/KJU and I'm terribly amused by it

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Yeah the master plan is to govern as little as possible/let corporations do whatever they want, so I think they don't care. Just have to hope that plan doesn't work

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Azuth0667 posted:

I don't understand this verdict at all I always thought ignorance of the consequences was no excuse for violating the law?

It's got nothing to do with ignorance lightening the verdict and everything to do with judges literally believing rich people should not have to go to jail because it's too awful.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
The 30-for-30 on the OJ car chase and ensuing events is super enlightening. Check it out some time:

http://espn.go.com/30for30/film?page=june-17th-1994

I was 10 when it happened and as such was really only aware of the spectacle, not the implications, so watching this was cool.

It's available on Netflix

emdash fucked around with this message at 03:08 on May 13, 2014

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Not that anyone here needs it but if you know anyone who still needs proof that FOX news is a complete sham please see Megyn Kelly verbally fellating Dinesh D'Souza for his amazing achievement in being indicted for violating campaign finance laws from today.

In case anyone actually does want to see it: http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/dinesh-dsouza-megyn-kelly-interview

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

TheBalor posted:

Carmel is a colony for rich old snobs. Also from wiki:

The average age is 60 years old, the average income is $60,000 a year, and there are less than 4000 people in the whole town.

Also, as far as my own experience, when I went there literally everyone I saw had a sweater slung over a polo shirt, like a stereotype of a country club snob. Almost every store I saw was an art gallery, and people were staring at my family (on our way to a reunion) like we were the Clampetts.

The local paper is run by a total right-wing nut who's buddy-buddy with Clint: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...5927c_blog.html

I'm not just saying this by conjecture--I happen to be related to said right-wing nut :sigh:

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I think that when someone has a plan that dumb, it's hard for me to say "this is a man who has rationally decided to betray his country and desert."

What he did was wrong and foolish, but so bizarre that I'm going to assume that he had some serious problems upstairs.

If you look at the twitter feed linked above it seems like there are some scraps of evidence that he intended it all along. But yeah it clearly wasn't sanely thought out.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Carolla's new show is some reality tv thing where he busts shady home remodeling contractors http://www.spike.com/shows/catch-a-contractor

emdash fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jun 1, 2014

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Yeah this is a special case because for whatever variety of reasons, Bergdahl was a political no-go up until now. The only people I ever saw mention him were facebook crazies. But now that he's out, you can be drat sure conservative opportunists are going to harp on how wrong it was until the cows come home

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/sarah-palin-criticizes-bergdahl and here we go.

quote:

Don't expect Sarah Palin to attend any homecoming celebrations for Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl.

The former GOP vice presidential nominee and half-term Alaska governor wrote on her Facebook page Monday that President Obama never should have praised the soldier who was released this weekend after five years of captivity in Afghanistan.

"No, Mr. President, a soldier expressing horrid anti-American beliefs – even boldly putting them in writing and unabashedly firing off his messages (http://nypost.com/2014/05/31/the-bizarre-tale-of-americas-last-known-pow/) while in uniform, just three days before he left his unit on foot – is not 'honorable service.' Unless that is your standard," Palin wrote.

She was referring to an email sent by Bergdahl to his parents, which were published in a 2012 Rolling Stone article by the late journalist Michael Hastings. In the message, sent days before he went missing, Bergdahl wrote that he was "ashamed to be an american (sic)" and that "the title of US soldier is just the lie of fools."

Bergdahl's disappearance in 2009 and the subsequent manhunt sparked resentment among his fellow soldiers, many of whom consider him a deserter.

Along with her critical assessment of Bergdahl, Palin wrote that Obama "blew it again...by negotiating away any leverage against the bad guys as these bad guys – Osama Bin Laden's partners in evil crime – joyfully celebrate their 'win' in the deal you sealed."

Read the whole post:

Commander-in-Chief's Definition of "Honorable Service" Includes Anti-American Actions While in Uniform; He Just Destroyed Troop Morale
The Obama administration tells America this soldier served "with honor and distinction." (http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/susan-rice-bergdahl-served-honor-and-distinction_794066.html)

No, Mr. President, a soldier expressing horrid anti-American beliefs – even boldly putting them in writing and unabashedly firing off his messages (http://nypost.com/2014/05/31/the-bizarre-tale-of-americas-last-known-pow/) while in uniform, just three days before he left his unit on foot – is not "honorable service." Unless that is your standard.

Please use your White House Rose Garden to praise the truly honorable service of our good U.S. troops who were killed in their search for Sgt. Bergdahl (http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/06/02/we-lost-soldiers-in-the-hunt-for-bergdahl-a-guy-who-walked-off-in-the-dead-of-night.html). Praise the soldiers who fought with everything they had to defeat Islamic terrorists, those whom you just freed from prison. Our men gave all. Our surviving combat vets will forever live with the effects of the missions they willingly engaged in to protect you, our country, and certainly their brothers and sisters who are proud to wear the uniform.

You blew it again, Barack Obama, by negotiating away any leverage against the bad guys as these bad guys – Osama Bin Laden's partners in evil crime – joyfully celebrate their "win" in the deal you sealed.

- Sarah Palin

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Tender Bender posted:

Well what is Obama's goal here, in the rightwing's mind? Rewarding a traitor to make himself look good for the zero elections he's ever going to run in again?

Destroying America I think

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
I heard eight yesterday

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Planet fitness doesn't want anyone in their gym who will use the equipment seriously. Their business model is recruiting resolutioneers and lightweights who they can rely on to stop showing up a month into their one year contract.

Their marketing line "we're not a gym" or whatever is actually disturbingly accurate when you read about how they provide ultra-unhealthy foods for their members and gradually phase out free weights from all their facilities

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
kind of tangentially related to the real topic of this thread:

quote:

Black Baltimore Councilman Blasts White CNN Host: 'Just Call Them Ni**ers' (VIDEO

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

BiggerBoat posted:

Well, here it is. I guess it's finally that time. Everyone make sure they have enough guns.

Honest to god, if the democrats take the White House I'm seriously gonna buy stock in Smith & Wesson, especially if Sanders pulls it off somehow. You guys keep your stupid guns. I'll take the money. Thanks.

i'm positive you don't have to wait that long

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Azuth0667 posted:

I've got relatives, who happen to be, :smugdon: voters, howling about Hillary's email stuff now that the state department has commented. Didn't GW and people like Colin Powell also do this?

they did not do Exactly The Same Thing To The Letter so it will never be good enough for someone whose head is in the sand that much. the important thing is that she didn't actually break any laws that anyone knows of--just rules

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
kithen

(yeah that guy . . . it may not be justifiable but i'm not sad about it)

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
http://thefederalist.com/2016/06/13/the-orlando-attack-is-what-actual-homophobia-looks-like/

as dave weigel points out, the latest Hot Take from a right-winger is that only murder qualifies as homophobia. other stuff (refusing service, etc) is just "a reasonable response to the deficiencies of gay culture"

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

MariusLecter posted:

:siren: Breaking: Gretchen Carlson put on indefinite leave from the news desk. :siren:

quit playing games with my heart

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
yeah it's definitely "a wolf killed one of mah herd, therefore all wolves must be subject to summary execution at any hunters' discretion"