Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

Popular Thug Drink posted:

pure nitrogen asphyxiation. nitrogen avoids carbon dioxide buildup in the blood which is the cause of panic reflex associated with asphyxiation. in pure nitrogen you just peacefully fall asleep and die. you can apply sedatives beforehand if you like to sidestep the possible anxiety of sitting in a room waiting for an inevitable death. you can then vent the execution chamber to the atmosphere with no negative side effect

From a couple pages back. The great state of Oklahoma has this covered guys.

http://oklahomacity.suntimes.com/okc-news/okc-politics-government/7/132/126734/ok-bill-nitrogen-gas/

Mike Christian posted:

The House voted 85-10 for a bill by Oklahoma City Republican Rep. Mike Christian that would allow the execution of death row inmates using nitrogen gas. Christian, who began studying alternative methods after a botched lethal injection in the spring that led the U.S. Supreme Court to consider the constitutionality of Oklahoma’s current three-drug method.

Christian said numerous studies have been conducted on nitrogen hypoxia, which is similar to what pilots at high altitudes can encounter when oxygen supplies diminish. He described the method as humane, painless and easy to administer.

“I believe it’s revolutionary,” said Christian, a former Oklahoma Highway Patrol trooper and a staunch advocate of the death penalty. “I think it’s the best thing we’ve come up with since the start of executions by the government.”

The bill now heads to the Senate. Under the bill, lethal injection would remain the state’s first method of execution. However, nitrogen gas would be used if it were declared unconstitutional or if the drugs became unavailable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

kik2dagroin posted:

The only thing I really take issue with is the author portraying Limbaugh as admitting to anything. Limbaugh, being the paragon of all that is modern Conservatism, would never admit to any weakness whatsoever. Here is the full context of that FB post:

http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/2015/03/04/millennials_don_t_worship_the_clintons
So really this was just a rant about not understanding Millennials while sniping at the Clintons, liberals, and RINOs. A feat that happens on virtually every time he sits in front of the microphone. Personally, I really hope this diversifies his advertisers now because I am getting tired of hearing about that guy that knows FEMA's secret plot during my morning commute.

My favorite thing about that rant is that Rush is admitting he has no idea whats going on in the country.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

Sanders can show Hillary that running more to the left is entirely viable but that doesn't mean she is going to shift left at all.

I'm aware that she's released a few different statements that certainly sound like she's trying to pick up favor and votes where Bernie has not commented on a topic or where he's been criticized. Has Hillary updated any policies in reaction to Bernie's platform though? That I haven't seen.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

My grandma likes him because cold war brain worms

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

Yes

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

Making some really late dinner while grandma watches some dan bongino, highlights include

trump was a profit who predicted everything thats going on now

massive inflation biden will do nothing about (no mention of ukraine and the effect on gas, supply problems and worker shortages/dissatisfaction definitely doesn't have anything to do with covid)

750k+ immigrants just walking across the border unchecked and they're going to vote to replace american morals

liberals are actually the violent party because of that one nut outside kavanaugh's house

so yeah, building a narrative to push everything even further right with dumb arguments and half clever editing that people will buy because they already want to hear it. This stuff isn't limited to the elderly but lucky for us it does seem to be the most popular among that age group as opposed to others.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

not really paying attention, phone posting, and half trying to digest whatever bongino was talking about wrt economics

it stays

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

My 92 year old grandmother loves Gutfield, and Hannity and Tucker. They tell her what she wants to hear and she's never known what comedy is. Though her favorites are Larry Kudlow and Mark Levin. Kudlow cant stop talking about economy bad Trump good and Levin's entire shtick is figuring out various ways to say 'chinese communist democrats' and writing new books based around those cold war brain worms.

This is a lady whose prefered form of music is crooners and who couldn't possibly wrap her head around why BLM was ever a thing. Who randomly says stuff like 'you know I don't think I'd be okay with you or your sister marrying a black.' She thought bitcoins where physical coins up until yesterday, like gold coins. Every single time I've seen her watching a movie it's a scene of a black and white film with a dude with a cigar in one hand and a whiskey in the other heavily berating a young woman for her hysterics.

That's Gutfield's audience.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

Right, the point was she stopped developing in the 50s and thats the mentality of that audience.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

That was her thought process.

Whats cryptocurrency, I don't know but I see a coin on my tv screen.

More accurately she and my uncle were talking about the general state of things, she was of course coming from the perspective of whatever bs she absorbed through fox. Eventually this lead to econony talk and then her dreading about how things were going down and gas prices etc etc. I joined in around the time they started talking about crypto crashing, my uncle and I reiterating that it wasn't ever a good investment because its just another ponzi scheme. Grandma questions if it was ever actually good for purchasing anything, 'no, nothing but illicit drugs and sex trafficking.' Talk about how money is backed up by reality and based on commerce and bitcoin was printed through cpu cycles, 'well but there are actual coins though right, I see them on tv.' 'No, thats just an image, there is no physical currency unless you count electrons.'

The topic of what bitcoin actually is is not one that gets touched by tv people recommending you invest in various stocks or coins on the market.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

And California, yes.

Source: posting from Oklahoma.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

His audience is 80+ ywar olds, they can't spot a photoshop with their eyes

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

You just vaguely point at the entire disgram and say 'that part, all of those parts.'

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

among other extemely dumb 'what an idiot thinks a smart person sounds like' takes, yeah

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

FMguru posted:

The only people who still watch cable news (especially the hours-and-hours-a-day kinds of viewers) are all 50+ years old and tilt heavily Republican, and that is a trend that is only accelerating (as younger people increasingly cut their cable cords and become literally inaccessible to cable networks).

No conspiracy theories necessary - he is just taking his network to where his dwindling audience can be found.

Them's prime voting years.

My 91 yo grandma is one of those people, just fox news all day. Huge fan of Levin and Larry Kudlow. I couldn't call either of them newsmen or reporters, not by a long shot.

Levin's entire thing is just finding new ways to say 'chinese communist democrats' and hawking whatever book he wrote over whatever recent hot topic is making the rounds, probably trans people, ukraine, crt, or chinese/russian communism. He's 100% a grifter praying on cold war brain worms.

Kudlow is just a day time version of hannity/tucker for older people, often grifting with guest's books rather than his own. But otherwise basically the same as Levin.

She says she dislikes tucker and hannity but she still watches all of their programing over basically anything else.

The people who have moved on to OAN and Newsmax are more brain broken than cold war brain wormed silent generation no thought havers. This includes plenty of people still in their early 30s.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

BiggerBoat posted:

As it relates to RWM, real funny how 10 years ago or whatever it was the common refrain that climate change is a hoax but now nobody says that, even on FOX. Also, back then, the "free market" (insurance companies) knew it was real and I always liked to point this out to my idiot coworkers.

People still say this on FOX all the time, they're just the older and less popular hosts. My grandma's favorite.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

Perhaps this tiny amount of thought is putting to much thought in to it but doesn't jan 6th and the fact that cops have been getting eaten by covid for ~3 years just show that it's even easier for people to just do whatever crazy bs and kind of sort of get away with it.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

He's always sure of what he says, that's part of the problem.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

There's still plenty of millennial fascists to get through before we see a ton of zoomer representation, luckily more and more of that latter gen is getting into voting range.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

Well off white kid misunderstands punk has also been a thing for quite a while.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

How many elder boomers know how to use youtube?

Not quite the same generation but I know that my grandmothers would just get mad at attempting to use a part of the internet they're unfamiliar with and quit trying in minutes.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

Neito posted:

I feel like you can occasionally make the argument that Doomerism is the left's equivalent; it's not repeating, but it rhymes, as they say. The repeated points, the thought-terminating cliches, the helplessness but also "I'm the only one that can save the world" type poo poo.

Occasionally perhaps, in fringe or extreme cases.

But I feel like the doomers aren't secretly excited about the prospect of, say, environmental collapse, even more hyperer capitalism fevently and openly dehumanizing, abusing, and exploiting people, they don't actively want the government to crush transpeople or religions outside the mainstream, etc. Just because they can't see a solution to a problen or aren't actively aligned with the steps they see as baby steps so incemental as to be ineffective doesn't mean they eant bad thing to happen.

Can't really say the same about the right leaning extremists.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

oh wow consequences? no way!

actually no way

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

The podium sign is just another attention grabber. He doesnteven have to mention it, no one standing at that podium does, their audience already knows to get incensed at the very thought of that narrative. It's could simply act like bad subliminal imagery in that regard,they win favor and influence simply by reminding their audience that immigrants bad and biden = more immigrants.

Dr Christmas posted:

I hate this loving meme because, among other reasons, nothing about that character or the one it's based from gives any indication that it's from a videogame without the person making it telling me so. It doesn't look like a video game character. None of the behavior has anything to do with being a video game character. Unless you're playing some kind of text parser game like Starship Titanic, the things that player characters say in video games are just as limited as the things the NPCs say! What video game are the guys standing around putting hands on eachtothers' shoulders from? What does saying something, being contradicted, and the silently getting little angry eyebrows have to do with being a videogame character?!

I AM ANGRY! ANGRY ABOUT MEMES!

I can't help but laugh at the use of the meme because every redditor and redditor adjacent shithead started using the meme in the same way at the exact same time, like actual npcs. It's almost as if they have extremely little self awareness, hmm I wonder why that would be?

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

Several Fox hosts are found of saying chinese communist democrats so you can bet anything even more rwm than that uses the word purely as a buzzword without any specific meaning.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

but but but all my tv and radio shows keep telling me the nyc and la and chicago are bad

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

Twelve by Pies posted:

Someone on Twitter once pointed out that Jacksonville has a higher murder rate than NYC.

The galaxy brain right wing response was to say that looking at murders per population rate is misleading, you should actually look at the murders per square foot, where Jacksonville is much lower than NYC, therefore proving Jacksonville is better and safer.

Ah yes, the Oklahoma City is actually a big city logic.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

They never got far enough to see that, all they saw was someone being gay for the devil.

Like, they didn't actually have to watch the video in order to be outraged by it, or feign outrage.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

probably trump retweeted them at some point

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

BiggerBoat posted:

I love how all these fuckfaces are always on about the crime ridden hellscapes of NYC, SF and Chicago, as if spending a vacation in Jacksonville FL, Oklahoma CIty, Memphis, Nashville, Bakersfield, Tulsa, Fresno or anywhere in Mississippi, Arkansas, Alabama, Kansas or the Dakotas offers anything.

My former in laws were MAGA CHUDS who had Drudge as their home page and mainlined FOX NEws every day. They traveled a lot and always went to France, SF, NYC, DC, Greece, New Orleans and every other deep blue place in a deep blue on the map that they could find to spend money in. I used to ask them why they didn't visit the comfy confines of Omaha, Lexington, Fort Worth, Fresno, Salt Lake City or Anchorage where they'd feel more at home instead of subjecting themselves and their wallets to all these liberal hell holes.

I've been in and around a lot of towns and cities in heavily red states and they loving suck. THey're as shady and depressing as anything you can find in places or big cities where people actually want to BE. There's NO loving culture at all (unless shooting things, drinking and selling oxy/meth count) and the people there are as mean and rude as they come. Lots of churches concentrated in the poorer areas for some reason (I'm thinking of SOuth Carolina and rural Georgia)

I've lived in Oklahoma my entire life and it's a blighted suburban hellscape filled with meth heads and karens and 40-80 year old frat bros and good ol boys. There's cool poo poo here but its easily less than 1% of the city. The poorer areas are the only places with actual community and getting outside of the cities you get nothing but hills that either have wheat farms or developing suburbs. It's not great. Whenever I go out in public I'm guaranteed to see multiple moms with meth teeth. You can practically hear the fox news blarring out of every home.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

He's extremely not smart but that was probably messaging grift, done poorly.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

Watch it be Dan Bongino.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

Did he? Great!

All I know about Bongino is that my grandma really likes him because he's a Mark Levine level shithead blowhard but not as annoying as Tucker.

I think Jesse Waters is to limp and boring compared to Bill/Tucker though.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

I retract my intentionall uneducated guess and offer a new one: Tim Pool.

Edit: didn't texts get released in the Domion case's discovery that showed Tucker being against constant coverage of stolen elections? Or was it more that he was simply lamenting having to do that because its what his audience wanted? Either way he's going to get the axe before the even higher ups.

FunkyFjord fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Apr 24, 2023

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

I AM GRANDO posted:

What is happening with white people names?

lin linn lyn liyn leigh leagh liegh lygh leyn leyghn
etc etc

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

Yet another thing explained, at least in part, by projection imo. The right side of our political spectrum is plenty diverse and nutty but they're more apt to tow party line, champion traditional values (whatever the gently caress that means to any group or individual), and overall participate in a kind of monoculture groupthink. So of course whatever one leftist does or says applies to all leftists because they're so accostumed to seeing things from the point of view of their own in group which they believe to be the vast majority. In the example of the shooter, and in direct and obvious contradiction to the in group mono stuff, they outwardly advocate for individualism, so of course those bad right wingers weren't real wingers and are instead just deranged individuals.

A combo of projection and conservativism can never fail it can only be failed.

Though it's s just as easily explained by putting all this observation aside and simply recognizing that it's all lazy narrative building flimsy bullshit.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

Our most just founding fathers fled England to escape from the prosecutiin of their favorite land tycoon truth teller.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

OneEightHundred posted:

This is one of those things that is so dumb that I have a hard time believing anyone actually believes it.

There used to be a bunch of bad-but-at-least-logical rationalizations of why Republican policies were actually better for minorities, now it's just this low-effort deflection pretending the past 50 years, especially the past 5 years, didn't happen, and desperate whining about how Democrats are the real racists for not respecting the decision of black Trump voters.

This is a thing my 92 year old grandmother thinks. Caveat: she binge watches fox all day long. So effectively no one believes it.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

Yeah it's still the classic laws that protect and do not bind and laws that bind but do not protect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

Term limits sounds fine but yeah the rest of that is literally just 'I'm going to get rid of people I don't like, people who don't like me, and anyone who even thinks about getting in my way, this is how democracy works, people who love america know that this is how democracy works.' fuckin loony toons.