Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
I hate to be a downer but we lost our bird completely unexpectedly this morning, and now her mate is making her calls, and I don’t know how to comfort him. I just hope he doesn’t fade away on us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Thanks all, we’re still disconsolate. We have a pretty tight relationship with the other bird, and he spent literally all day yesterday on one of us; we’re going to keep up with one of us always being with him during waking hours for the next few days. He doesn’t really speak words but we’ve taught each other to make some sounds (when he really wants company he’ll make a whisper sound for me) to ease communication, which I think helps.

We are friends with the lady we got them both from, and I’ve already been in contact to let her know what happened and to tell her we’ll need another companion. It’s tough but I can’t let being sad keep our little dude from having companionship.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Plant MONSTER. posted:

That's great that you're close with the remaining birdy. That will make things a little bit easier for him.

What kind of bird is he?

Also I caught Pesto flexing in the mirror.

I don't know why he chose to land on the soap pump. I had to move it because my soul is telling me that he will try to ingest the soap.

Haha.

He’s a linnie. His name’s Alex(ander Graham Birb).

I took this just last week. Alex is on the left. Hedy, who we lost, is on the right. Shut up, no, you’re cryIng.

He keeps contact calling her periodically....

mediaphage fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Jan 21, 2020

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Honestly, though, I can’t recommend linnies enough. Properly raised, they are extremely social, and so friendly. I mean, this guy shows affections through cheek headbutts. And honestly, they’d have to work to draw blood...(I mean he’s a big boy at 53 grams).

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Thanks for all of the kind thoughts, honestly, I really appreciate it. This has been so much tougher than I expected.

We both cried a little this morning when Alex started doing his contact calls to look for her. He’s been spending most of his days burrowing into my shoulder.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Captain Log posted:

I feel sorry for the scared bird, but I cannot stop laughing at the circumstances.

Hell, when it's about to get out I see it take a split second to go, "Seed in face. Nibble seed."

Haha this is what happens to greedy little piglets

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Henlo i am not sleepy what are you talkin bout

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

It’s been just about a week since we lost Hedy, and I’m still tearing up when I find her feathers. Alex still calls for her on wake up and just before bed (it was funny, she used to really harass him about going to bed at the same time every night, going in and out and chirpnagging him until he relented), which is about five minutes of really loud contact calls, followed by his begging calls. Which, yeah. Heartbreaking. But we’re getting through it.

Meanwhile, somebody is enjoying his blueberries:

https://i.imgur.com/8fkjXD2.mp4

mediaphage fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jan 27, 2020

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

I just realized you guys might get a kick out of the trophies my so and i made for a local birb show

lol we’re basically the only reason the club made money last year since we did everything at materials cost

To be clear the artwork is all either public domain or licensed.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Pookah posted:

She also like to keep an eye on things, just in case someone somewhere is up to no good, or maybe eating sweets.

I love this.

Pookah posted:

These are all marvellous, and I can not stop laughing at

Thanks much. I did all the prototypes with Worst Parrot 2019, which got some laughs. To be honest, I have pretty mixed feelings about bird shows. I’m not into all the ridiculous rules. And I don’t plan on ever entering Alex; he’d just be stressed and wondering why I left him alone. I don’t judge others for doing it; maybe I’m just too attached. Finches might be fun to do.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

I'm not into animal shows that judge them physically, as that gets into perfect breeding and that's a whole kettle of worms - I believe the breed standard for german shepherd dogs requires them to have busted rear end legs, which is one hell of a stupid standard. And you also can't enter in all the most perfect mutts - Apollo would win shows easily due to him being one hell of a cute dog, but he can't.

Instead I prefer animal talent shows. I'm trying to google some for birds but not finding them, but I think this counts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGqtH5YWBMM

Basically bird talent shows would be amazing. Don't let dogs steal all the fun of showing off how fast or agile or clever they can be!

I tend to fall on this side of things, too. I don’t mind physical trait contests except when breeders go insane and really harm animals (snub-nosed dogs, etc). Our breeder does it but she’s very much a bird-health-first sort of person and refuses to interbreed relatives, etc.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

Do you have an Etsy or something? I'm sure people would like their birds to receive a trophy for BEST SCREM and whatnot.

Haha. I’ve thought about personalized bird things like that, but not at the moment; this is all stuff I do as a hobby or gifts. At some point if birdnerds here want, I’m sure we could come up with a few fun awards to give out.

Halloween Jack posted:

Is the parrot small, or just far away?

Lol.

Those tiles were in lieu of the rosettes last year. They’re actually Home Depot tiles but we put on some transfers and re-fired them in the kiln.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Captain Log posted:

Those awards are so freaking cool.

Have you ever thought of selling stuff like that? I bet there is a forum full of people here who would gladly give you money for a "Worst Adult Cockatiel" award.

:derptiel:

Thanks, we were really nervous, honestly. Bird show people are very...particular...about, well, everything. But all the fancy experts liked them, so it was in all a good experience. If I do it again this year I’m definitely getting it done far in advance. I think we ended up doing over 200 individual pieces.

If there is interest, I would be happy to put together something for you guys at some point. They’re kind of time intensive but it’s a fun hobby. Loudest screm? Worst cockatiel? Beepiest budgie? Easy to do similar stuff across signs, coasters, keychains, whatever. I can probably post a thread in the mart if it ever came to it.

Joking aside pi cross species awards would be pretty funny

mediaphage fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jan 28, 2020

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

It’s been both weird and comforting to share grief with a bird. He still calls for her at breakfast and bedtime, then begs, and makes new quiet chirps throughout the day. He also makes her sounds a lot, which is not something he did before - but that could just be him doing audio processing in the downtime without sounds. He’s also been much needier, but how can I mind that?

RoboRodent posted:

I am loving all these birbs. A role call was such a great idea.

Same, thus.

Name: Alex, but mostly just bird or birb.

Race: Lineolated parakeet, or linnie.

Class: Level 3 lil’ buddy!

Likes: SAFFLOWER SEEDS, blueberries, banana-flavoured pellets, anything that crunches, the refrigerator, chewing on sleeves

Dislikes: everything if he suspects you have safflower seeds on you and are holding out

Inherently suspicious of: anyone not us, the humidifier

Hobbies: grinding his beak when he’s comfortable, flying in a ring around his territory (the office), preening his feathers, sitting on your shoulder, licking everything and anything, bumping his beak to yours, headbutting your cheek to show affection, preening your feathers, picking up empty soda cans to hear them drop, generalized destruction.

Pros: Headbutts your cheek to show affection!! Very sweet, sociable little birb, doesn’t usually make a lot of noise, hangs upside down and wiggles during bath time, is gentle in showing annoyance (grunt, lick, gentle nip, harder nip, etc), really loves nothing more than just being with you in the same room, eats mostly the same foods I do, extremely cheap upkeep.

Cons: I can’t really think of one. Most of the issues people have with birds we just don’t have with him. He’s honestly a wonderful, bright little guy. If I had to pick, I’d say that I wouldn’t be comfortable having just one, at least not without a similar sized bird friend of a friendly species, and that they have enormous poops for birds their size. Like, it’s pretty surprising, sometimes.

Special skills: one of the smallest birds to exhibit ‘hallmark’ parrot behaviours, like intelligence, mimicry, eating with his feets, etc. Growing up on a farm, I’ve always clicked my tongue at animals, and he’s picked this up and uses it as a human contact call, and occasional query to other birds.

mediaphage fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jan 29, 2020

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

DarkHorse posted:

You'd better pick him soon, he looks ripe!

Ehehehehee

Neat; thanks for the share.

I smell my birb all the time; he eats enough fruit that he often just smells like honey. I stopped feeding him fenugreek sprouts because he really took on the odour, haha.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

RoboRodent posted:

Interesting bird news:

There's a game I play with Sera where I tap his beak gently and say BOOP! Sometimes he doesn't wait for me and taps my finger first. Usually with his tongue. I can't play this with Ozzy but he watches me play with Sera so sometimes I'll hold my finger out a little distance away and say boop? And he either backs away nervously or lunges, depending on his current location and mood. I ask to come into his personal space, he says no, and I back off. This is how we operate.

Well, today after our shower I offered Ozzy a boop, and he tapped my finger, very gently. Not a bite, not even one of his hilariously gentle warning bites where he screams and cries and gently takes my flesh in his beak with hardly any pressure, just a tap with the tip of his beak. He touched me, on purpose, when I asked him to.

This is lovely. One thing we try hard to do is allow our guy a fair amount of agency in determining his activities / location, and I think it makes for healthier birds.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Rotten Cookies posted:

"Cookies, Honey, Tangerines, Manure—These Birds Have Some Strange Scents"

So if you mixed these smells together would you describe them as............................... Rotten cookies?

Parrot kush

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

good morning blink blink

https://i.imgur.com/mhOGajf.mp4

modedit to fix link :)

Somebody fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jan 30, 2020

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

subpar anachronism posted:

Guys you are not helping me not get a pigeon :argh:

Literally me

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

bird: *acts like he wants to go to his pellets*

No it’s fine bird I can just stand here I don’t mind

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Oh poor thing, hope everyone’s feeling better soon.

Not that I’m any font of bird wisdom, but we generally have a couple of towels draping the top 2/3 of the cage, and across the room we have a hue bulb that is covered with a towel and dimmed at night to provide some gently illumination, and it seems to work out well. Traditionally our guy sleeps on a 12-hour schedule.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

It’s funny, Alex is a super heavy sleeper and if you wake him up he makes adorable grunting sounds. One day that I still feel bad about: he got left outside of his cage with it closed back when we were still making him and Hedy comfortable. The light was on and we didn’t get home until like 11pm. I checked on him and freaked out when I couldn’t find him until I saw the lump underneath the towel on top the cage so he could get away from the light. 😭

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Captain Log posted:

Aaaaw that’s adorable.

Wandy, my last cockatiel who was an ancient rescue bird, was unbelievably chill her only passion other than me and my Dad? Cheese Nips. She apparently lived on Cheerios and Cheese Nips for a large portion of her life.

She got out while I was at work twice. First time, I came home and found her sleeping on top of the cage after having upwards of twelve hours to explore. The second time? She was sleeping on top of the fridge on a closed box of Cheese Nips - which she only got maybe once a week. She didn’t get in the box, but she looked soooooo smug.

Ahaha.

Me, trying to sneak a picture:

https://i.imgur.com/kqkgi4P.mp4

modedit to fix link

Somebody fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Feb 1, 2020

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Caedes posted:

We joined the bird crazies club today with a new addition to the family.

I'm so happy to get him home but it's been a bit of a stressful day having never owned birds other than chickens and ducks who are fairly chill from day one in comparison.

He was hand raised in a pretty open environment so I thought I'd leave his cage door open and let him make the decision about when to come and go. All was going pretty well until he tried climbing a millet branch knocking the end off which he lost his mind about, flying out the cage door and crashing into the roof a couple of times.

I thought I'd better get him back in the cage for now as he kept getting scared and bumping into things which just caused a cycle. A few very sharp bites later I got him back in the cage but I feel awful for how scared he was.

I've seen a lot of differing opinions on how to handle this situation and would love to hear people's thoughts. At what point should I be leaving the door open for him?

If he’s in a room where he can’t get into too much trouble, it might be okay. But mostly I’d wait to leave him open and unaccompanied until he’s comfortable with you - if for no other reason than when he inevitably ends up someplace weird you’ll have to get him.

Even if it’s just you spending time in the same room as him so he can get used to his new flock faces would probably help.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

We don’t put mirrors in our cages. He doesn’t seem to care much about them; I’m not prepared to say he passes the mirror test, but he definitely doesn’t think it’s another bird.

Speaking of which...you, uh, gotta a little something...all over, buddy....

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

I am glad that our guy is so quiet at night. We are lucky enough to be able to close a door on him, but it’s right off the kitchen so it’s not super duper quiet. Even then, he basically doesn’t make a peep until the light turns on at 7:30. It’s about a 50-50 chance of small screm or clicks as I’m making coffee.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

...henlo....me am (wet) stegosaurus

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

redgubbinz posted:

Wanna scritch that stegosaurus

Just had to use my nose to do it, hehe

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

HENLO

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Kitfox88 posted:

What is it with pets and walking into stuff you shouldn't walk in?

I dunno; I do it enough, myself.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Perfect.

https://i.imgur.com/pZmGta3.gifv

mediaphage fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Feb 22, 2020

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Captain Log posted:

Isn't...isn't that sorta...stimulating the bird?

That was kinda my first thought, but if they're just doing quick taps, it's probably fine. Lots of birds like to burrow.

Also, did something change in terms of forums or imgur? I used to be able to just timg some mp4s, but now the only thing that appears to work is linking the gifv?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Obviously I don’t have a ‘tiel but we like Hagen’s Tropican. We buy the one with this bird on the cover they’re the smaller pellets:

He gets unlimited free pellet feed, unlimited free chop of whatever produce I have that day (I try for one green, one veg, and one fruit in every bowl at a minimum); we also do sprouts for him sometimes.

He gets a small bowl of guilt seeds when I have to leave for a while, and we give him single seeds off and on most of the day. He’s been stable in weight for the last year or so.

Also, tonight he needed to clean his teeth after the pellets.

https://i.imgur.com/w7KYGj1.mp4

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

We cheat by putting his seed on the scale and he jumps right up after it.

I am hesitant to correct a vet but I don’t believe for one second that coloured pellets do anything at all for a bird’s stool.

I have to say I always feel a bit blessed with our little dude because he’s really no trouble. Eats all his pellets, always eats a little of everything in his chop dish, almost never bites (and is very careful about it) or screams, etc. I feel pretty birb spoiled tbh.

In re sprouts: if you’re going to be feeding sprouts to your birds regularly, I would like to suggest that you just do it yourself. It’s very easy and quite cheap, and you have less risk of bacterial contamination, which is common with sprouts. Plus it makes functionally infinite amounts.

If anyone wants any help getting started doing that I can link the stuff I do.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

he really loves the fridge

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Captain Log posted:

The Calmest Finch.

Lol my so said the same thing, we were amazed.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Cyber Sandwich posted:

Once you share a bite, how do you get them to stop climbing on top of you before eating

My dude just climbs on us while we eat. Usually though when I/we start to eat, it makes him want to go eat his food, too.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

That's pretty cute although I will say we try not to bother birb in the cage as much as possible; I let him keep it as entirely his territory.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Captain Log posted:

If you leave a lady bird to her own devices when that happens, you’re gonna get eggs. A whole host of problems comes with egg laying.

Serra now has her cage bottom covered in egg crates to prevent nesting. From the day I started that, no more eggs or nesty behavior from her.

For sure, before we had to put Hedy down I was always suspicious of some of her chirps when she was exploring extra-cage areas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Plant MONSTER. posted:

Mayo bit me once but she was feeling cornered, I think.

Pesto... just does not bite hard ever. The most he does is peck the source of his frustration really quickly (i.e: my finger when I'm constantly getting him to step up when he just wants to hang out elsewhere). It's actually really cute.

He's also fairly easy to scoop up in your hand and hold but afterwards he looks extremely indignant and immediately gives himself a full preen.

Same. Alex is very cognizant of bite strength - if you bug him, he'll first tell you no by touching your finger or whatever with his beak and doing a lick. If you keep going, the bites get harder. He's never had to try to draw blood, so I'm not sure if he can, precisely, but neither would it surprise me.