Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

An informational void capable only of creating noise

Awesome new thread, unfortunately I haven't had time to keep up on my reading of any of my favourite threads due to work, but I just had to drop in to say hi and post these pictures of Peep being awesomely lovey.

These were just the pictures I could get. She was also rubbing her head on my neck, then furiously nibbling my neck anytime I had the temerity to move. She was also trying to preen the hairs on my mousehand earlier.

Strange, adorable bird!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

Hey bird thread, I used to post here years ago and had two budgies, Peep and Campion and a cockatiel called Artie. Unfortunately the budgies died of old age some time back and Artie now lives with her egg-laying 'brother' at my Mum's house which is best as she'd always had other birds around and I still get to see her when I visit.

Now a few years later I'm getting that serious bird itch again. I've contacted a local breeder and they have a week old black capped conure that I've told them I'm interested in. The conure crew in this thread made me think some kind of pyrrhura conure would be the best bird for me, although my heart dreams of having a bigger parrot running around my house like a dog. I'm looking for a bird that's more interactive than the budgies I used to have who were absolutely lovely but did not want me to touch them except to step up or act as a perch when they sat on my shoulder/head/knee, as well as a bird that's hopefully not gonna bother the neighbours. I think I'm on the right track, although I haven't been able to find too much detailed information about black capped conures compared to green cheeks, but it seems like they're very similar, am I on the right track?

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

Potato Salad posted:

You're on the right track for a cuddlebug, yes.

Cockatiels are a little too independent for you?

It may just be my experience with Artie, or her having budgies to hang out with rather than just me but she was very standoffish. She would hang out on a shoulder but hiss at me for bringing a hand up for her to step up onto; she also didn't really want to play or interact with me too much, preferring to just watch stuff or play fight with the rowdier of the two budgies. I'd like a bird I can do more stuff with and not feel like I'm stressing them out as much. I'm hoping I can harness train Futurebird so I can take them to work with me on quiet days, for example. I can't imagine how I would have gone about doing that with Artie.

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

Disco Salmon posted:

I've been working on training Cricket to use her harness for the last 3-4 months. Needless to say, I'm excited for it! She, however, is not quite so enthused about the icky red harness thing that I keep moving closer to the cage. She is finally FINALLY beaking it when I ask her to boop it. (I have been working on 'target training' her and boop is our word for it) She hates it. Just before I left she let me rub it on her feathers, but...yeah...with me being gone for a week I probably will have to start over with it.

Be prepared for your little birdie to becoming a raging ball of feathers when they see it at the beginning...I don't know why she hates it so much. I don't think its the color red cos she has red toys and and has seen me and my husband wear red before. I am half wondering if I should get her a different color one to see if it makes a difference. She REALLY hates the sight of it and mumbles conure curse words at it constantly when she can see it. But I am determined for her to wear it eventually...she wants to see outside so much and if I could just get it thru her head that if she WEARS the harness of death then she can go outside and have a great time. This will be a while though lol

Hah, yeah I know it can be a slow process. I'm thinking that if I do commit to getting this black cap I'll ask the breeder if she would be willing to familiarise the bird with it and try to have it wear it as a baby so it's used to that kind of thing.

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Black capped and green cheeks are indeed quite similar. Fun wiki tidbit:

My own birb is most likely a hybrid himself and so I'm pretty enthusiastic about black-caps in general. Do ittt :sun:

I've sent the email to the breeder saying I definitely want the black cap.

Now I need to get my old cage back from my Mum and buy new perches/toys and stuff and a harness if the breeder agrees to help familiarise and and and...

Birds! :dance:

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Thanks for breaking up what would otherwise be a triple post :downs:

post here if you would like a picture of my bird on your rap sheet

I am sad that I missed out on this once in a lifetime offer, and would love to be probated now also if you're still going.

In conure-related news, that breeder won't sell me her black capped conure. Says that it is showing weakness perching, but I am suspicious she promised it to someone else before I emailed her following up as she mentioned someone else interested and then tried to direct me towards her blue-yellowsideds that may nest soon.

Ah well, one day bird will be mine, and I shall snuggle them and give them nut and call them names.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

So, a question or two for the bird thread.

The breeder I was trying to get a conure from seems to be giving me the runaround, or at least not being straight with me I think, so I want to look somewhere else. Unfortunately bird breeders(at least in the UK) are impossible to find on the internet as far as I can see. I've found one website that essentially is a list of email addresses of breeders who may or may not be active anymore and the site looks like it was made a looong time ago. Does anyone have any advice on how to find bird breeders in the UK? Or can any of the UK bird goons point me to a decent breeder not a million miles away from Suffolk/Norfolk?

While looking down said list for any conure breeders in a semi-sane distance from me I noticed a Hahn's Macaw breeder relatively close by. They look about the size of the conures I've been after and seem very affectionate and playful as well, but I haven't been able to get a good read on their noise levels when they start yelling. Does anyone here have experience with Hahn's Macaws who can weigh in?

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

Hey bird thread, I decided to stop trying to get a conure from the breeder I was talking to previously as they seemed to be giving me the runaround at every turn. Instead, tomorrow I'm going to look at(at let's be honest, almost definitely go home with one) some handreared lineolated parakeets. The pictures the breeder has posted of them have them sleeping in their palms and on their backs in a hand and stuff like that, so I think they'll be the right level of hands on/affectionate, as well as all the descriptions I'm seeing of them online painting a lovely picture.

The breeder apparently still has two 'cream inos' and a green fella left so I'm gonna see which one gels best, but I'm hoping to bring home a cream one as they just look cool. Problem is I'm having trouble thinking of a name for futurebirb. As I have regressed to calling my cat 'catface' or 'kittycat' the whole time I may not be qualified to make this decision anymore. Anyone have any good bird names they've been holding on to that might inspire me?

EDIT: Another question, I guess. I am out at work for 8/9 hours of the day each day, and while I'd expect to have the bird out most of the time when I'm home I'm concerned that the bird will be lonely. Would I be better off getting two Linnies? I'd really like the birds to bond with me and want to interact and play a lot and would be concerned that they'd just bond with each other and play with each other in that case.

Cluncho McChunk fucked around with this message at 08:46 on May 12, 2017

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

Hi bird thread. Presented for your approval: new birbs. Also my dumb face. Forgive my awful camera and camerawork.

These guys are so ridiculously hand tame. They don't step up yet, but they are quite happy being grabbed and held, even on their backs.

My face. Featuring special guest star: the sun I keep in my living room.

The breeder was super friendly and knowledgeable. Had a real good vibe from them and the cages were super clean. They also had a cage with a bunch of little baby 'tiels that were adorable. I ended up going with both the cream birds they had, as the green one was apparently from a different clutch and tended to fight with the creams, so now I've got to work out some way to identify the two birds from each other. The breeder said one has a slightly fuller chest and is more boisterous, as it's two days older. That one makes a sort of purring noise as its 'main' noise whereas the other one just gives little adorable quiet trills, but identifying by sight is an issue. The breeder suggested maybe painting one's band with coloured nail varnish.

I had to keep playing games with them in the car to keep them from eating around the holes of the box they were in, they were very determined. I might have a couple troublemakers on my hands here.

Following from the advice of Battle Pigeon earlier I looked at the scientific name of Linnies and came up with Bolbo and Hinky. I quite like Hinky for one of them but I'm less sure if Bolbo works as a name. We'll see if anything else occurs as I get to know them a bit more.

Cluncho McChunk fucked around with this message at 17:01 on May 13, 2017

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

Oh god you guys I might die. I have a birdo nestling up against my neck.

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

redgubbinz posted:

Speaking of Linnies...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rmvPZBOFk8

"me monster"

"rrrr"

Oh god so cute.

So, I've managed to identify one from the other, at least when I go to interact with them. Hinky is the friendlier one who will happily hang out with me until Bolbo goes flying overhead and then will take off and follow Bolbo around. Hinky is completely ok with me picking him up/scritvhing him. Bolbo is more nervy at this point. Bolbo will let me scritch if I am already scritching Hinky, but otherwise will move to avoid me. When I am trying to interact with them, Bolbo makes an almost purring sound that I wonder if it's supposed to be a little growl, of it it's just his sound. As far as I can tell Hinky doesn't make this sound.

They are both so adorably sweet though. I had one of them(I think Hinky) fly over to my hand from across the room by holding it out with millet. I then moved the millet to my shoulder as I sat down and the other one eventually joined us and they made a lot of mess all over my shoulder and chair with the millet husks. They held me hostage for almost an hour as I had to hold the millet up there as one of them was actually perched on it. They're still not terribly sure on their feet. There was a cartoon moment when one of them tried to land on the edge of my desk and ended up scrabbling at it flapping their wings and trying to grab with their feet to perch on the edge rather than just landing fully on the desk and waddling about. :kimchi:

I'm going shopping later today to grab some apples, bananas and some berries if the shop has any that I can help them make a massive mess with.

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

Battle Pigeon posted:

Peppers, blueberries, strawberries-make a mess going in and coming out, and get the "omg they're bleeding everywhere" fake out we all go through over and done with

Then photos

Many photos

Unfortunately I didn't see any berries at the store this time so I just have apples and bananas for them for the moment. I hadn't thought of peppers, although a thought has occurred: when they eat berries they're gonna end up covered in juice I bet. Covering their lovely white feathers. It's gonna look like a real murder scene, and trust me there will be many pictures.

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

Tendai posted:

I'm just a normal cockatoo human person.

Be chill to yourself Captain Log, and give the birdos a scritch or at least a stupid kissy noise :3:

Speaking of kissy noises, I made some at my birds before I left for work this morning and one of them made purring noises back at me.

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

murphyslaw posted:

https://twitter.com/roku_urokoinko/status/814086818819764224

I can't get over how contemplative cockatoos look sometimes. Like you can SEE it's thinking "how can I eat this bird and get away with it" really hard.

E: if this vid is obnoxiously huge let me know how to trim it down, duders, i am bad at the twitters

This is what I think too, a lot of the time cockatoos give me an impression of intense gears turning behind the eyes. It's the way they just slowly look at something and seem to study it.

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

Kenshin posted:

stolen from weedthread:

Gosh darnit, birds are just the best.

Hinky and 'Bo are settling in well. They're being a load more vocal now which is great. It's not quite the same as the background burbling of the budgies I used to have, but it's lovely without being overbearing, and fills that missing 'thing' that the budgie burbling gave to the home.

It's nearly time for me to rearrange their cage to put more stuff in as I didn't want to overwhelm them at first. They're big fans of these weaved paper shredding strips I've been sticking through the bars, and I've added a shredding bag. I ordered a bunch of new perches and toys which got delivered to my Mum's house that I need to collect and add as well.

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

maskenfreiheit posted:

i wish i had a smart bird.

cockatiel motioned it wanted picked up, poo poo on my shoulder, flew back over to it's cage, then gave me the finger and laughed.

Sounds pretty smart to me :shrug:

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

Oh god what did I do?

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

Hey bird friends, I have a new phone with a decent camera, so you know what that means!

I call this series Adventures on the Fruit Bowl Full of Junk

What's that?

What're you doing?

What is this how do I climb?

Oooh, what's that?

What's this?

Shortly followed by a mysterious flying pencil hitting me in the foot. No witnesses could explain this bizarre happening.

I hope you enjoyed this episode of the Adventures of Hinkie and Bolbo, the Barely Distinguishable White Floofs.

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

Man Buttons has the sweetest voice. He's so precious. :kimchi:

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

Soylent Yellow posted:

Birbs have a given name and a secret true name. I'll guarantee you'll discover your birb's true name sooner rather than later. "Aaargh!, gerroff" and "You little poo poo" are common examples of true names. My GCC is officially called Ozzie, but he's more likely to answer to "Shitbag". Good luck discovering your birb's true name.

Hinkie and Bobo have a collective true name, which is "loud assholes". This is revealed when they think it's time for them to come out and they both hang off the side of the cage near my desk and beep at max volume until I let them out.

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

Gat dang that's a cute pair of flying bolt cutters! I don't post often, but it's great to hear that you and Gobble are doing well. Your story gave me the warm fuzzies. :kimchi:

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

I'm also a lurker who'd love a script-style Crazies tag, as payment here's a real bad picture of my quacking idiots:

They like being the wrong way up a whole lot.

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I knowwww :allears: birds are so ridiculous.

And you're welcome friends :) Cluncho yours is queued up as well.

Heck yeah, bird mod best mod.

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

Captain Log posted:

Are those two half albino parakeets with the yellow mutation? I have one like that and I've never seen another. So cool.

The breeder told me they're creamino lineolated parakeets, so I guess the colour mutation has a name, but otherwise I don't know the details.

They really do like being upside down though. This is their usual spot when I'm doing something they're interested in at my desk which is right next to their cage:

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

God drat. :kimchi:

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

Oh my god this smug motherfucker. Just struts back into frame, what a perfect cockatoo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

Oh my god this smug motherfucker. Just struts back into frame, what a perfect cockatoo.