Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.
D’aaawww. So glad the transition to your home flock is going so smoothly, Kenshin & Lenswork.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.

Official Bizness posted:

Chiyo has become absolutely obsessed with coming with me into the bathroom. If I have the gall to leave to use the toilet without taking her, she'll actas if this were a betrayal so heinous that she doesn't even know how to adequately express her rage beyond screaming her head off until I come back.

The hell, bird.

Thought I was in a cat thread, for a moment.

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.
(Chilly is secretly a bat)

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.
Can't have Kurt (Vonnegut) or Doug (-las Adams). Thems my future names for pets. :colbert:

How about Gibson or Niven?

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.

Eejit posted:

I wish I could let Teeka roam around on the ground because he like it, but he is a one cockatoo furniture destruction squad. Rips apart upholstery and splinters wood trim and bannisters. Also toes are not safe either.

:gonk: My toes involuntarily curled under in my shoes.

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.

supermikhail posted:

Is this the thread where I shall get helpful, gently expressed opinions about bird feeders? That is to say, for wild birds.

The place I could provide for this endeavour is illustrated below:

A closer shot:

A close-up view of an important detail:

Why I am suggesting the window, instead of some distant tree is, primarily, because I would enjoy observing birds feeding, and, secondly, because trees are somewhat too distant for my liking. On the subject of enjoyment, I have a cat in my possession, and in my heart of hearts I hope that she will be pleased, too, while being unable to reach the subjects of her attention, and, consequently, harm them.

But I'm left at a loss as to what variety of a bird feeder I would be able to fit here, and, as a matter of fact, if it would attract any diners, for birds wander in this direction only by accident, and you will notice a much more attractive rubbish container in the background of the photos above.

Thank you for your kind attention, and be assured that I am prepared to take your suggestions and comments in the most serious manner, even as far as giving up on the whole affair.

And if the rules of conduct for the rest of PET_THUNDERDOME forum don't apply here, I offer you my sincere apologies.

:tipshat:

What's the ground like beneath the window? If it's soil, mulch, or the like, a tall shepherd's crook stuck there would open up your feeder style options and minimize the amount of poo accumulating on the window and sill.

Also, can you ID the species you see around? I'm guessing starlings, grackles, sparrows, and rock doves (pigeons)? Got mockingbirds?

A suet basket could be fun. May see some woodpeckers or sapsuckers, too. Suet is a high-energy food that's good for winter feeding and it takes work for the birds to get at it, so they'll stick around on the feeder trying to stuff their greedy maws. Less messy in terms of bigger birds just knocking seed out and feeding on the ground, too.

What's the squirrel/chipmunk/regional rodent situation? Those adorable fuzzy assholes will up the challenge level of wild birb feeding.

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.

H110Hawk posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTmNerek4A4

Birds are weird. He hovers there as long as he can looking up into that corner. He's been doing it to different cabinets for the past few weeks.

Is this perhaps in preparation for toucan pon farr? :parrot:

:ohdear:

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.

Battle Pigeon posted:

Hey Ohtori, I forgot to weigh the food bowls, so just pose next to yours so I can take a photo as a size reference.

...perfect

David Attenborough voiceover:

quote:

…and here we have the Pyrrhura Goonae in a never-before-filmed foraging mannerism:  Be The Food.

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.

supermikhail posted:

I've bought two "honey" sticks and stuck them on the bars of the window (which I brought up in an exciting manner a couple pages ago), but no visitors, either during the night or in the morning. :( A single small bird sang outside, and I've seen a crow near the garbage dump... I guess it's not best season to test this.

It may take awhile for the birds to catch on, so I wouldn't give up. It took many weeks before the town birds started using the suet basket I set out this winter. Every other place I've lived, even other in-town locations, the birds started visiting much sooner. This time, however, I have a neighbor down the street who puts seed in his or her feeders and I think the birds are going for the easy food first.

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.
Had a dream a few nights ago where I was visiting someone with two new conures and the vibe, I recall, was that the birds were too skittish for strangers. One was a wary floordog and the other promptly climbed up to my face and started preening me and begging for scritches.

Never experienced anything close IRL, so I know I must be reading to much PI right before bed. I woke up feeling all :3:.

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.

H110Hawk posted:

Someone on reddit got an Ivory Billed Aracari. :3: http://imgur.com/a/gHgzi

Lucha Libre comic book needs a spin-off called Aracari And Lucha-Man.

\:stonk:/ :  "No, tipo pequeño-- ĦMe puso abajo! Juega agradable. BAD TOUCH! BAD TOUCH!"

:taco::   **SQUA-SQUA crnk-crnk cr-CRNK-CRNK**

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.
Scaly face mites? Brown hypertrophy?

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.

chthonic bell posted:

Okay, so , Gnosis and Hubris know Step Up, what could I teach them next?

Yay, Gnosis & Hubris!

Turn Around, perhaps? Could be handy for bird inspection and photo opps. Then maybe go further from that behavior to Spin.

:v:: 'kay, birb--do Drunk Ballerina!

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.
So sorry to hear this about Loki, Bicyclops. He sounds like a dear little big boodge.

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.
I'd keep him for all the reasons that both you and Literally A Bird cited. It would be really nice to let the prior owner know before he dies that Roscoe is going to a good home, too.

re: the cloaca... I dunno. Maybe he's already a goon and making goatse jokes.

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.
I want to mint corvid coins with unique numbers and my contact info on them and see where they eventually turn up so I can die not entirely alone.

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.
Geophagy :science:

(Some people engage in geophagy, too.)

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.

LOOKIT THAT GOON AND HIS TRUNK OF REALDOLLS

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.

H110Hawk posted:

"I don't know what you expect me to do with this."

Thwack it into squoosh and drop it on the carpet like a mic. Or maybe take it on a hover around The Kitchen Cabinet O' Mystery.

Never stop Mindo posts, please.

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.
Thinking about the past week, the last week
Hands go in my pocket, I can't speak
Hopped in the car and torpe'ed to the shack
Of Shaheed, "We gotta go back" when he said
"Why?" I said, "We gotta go
'Cause I left my conure in El Segundo"

Yeah, I left my conure in El Segundo
Left my conure in El Segundo
Left my conure in El Segundo
I gotta get, I got-got ta get it

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.
:siren: High alert! Engage meerkat neck! :siren:

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.
It's like cliff camping. Clever, clever bird.

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.

zbeezy posted:

watching third rock from the sun bc it makes Slim laugh.

:3:

Hope the bad weather doesn't affect you guys. Pretty cool that Slim (and the other critters, for that matter) are okay with a disruption like that. You must be doing a great job with them.

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.

Battle Pigeon posted:

I was going to get a better video tomorrow, in daylight, but couldn't wait to share the terribleness amazing new trick Ohtori learnt today

Are you ready for...

...THE RING OF FIRRRRRRRE

(It actually is a trick, "through")

:peanut:

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.

Wrecking Ball posted:

At this rate, how do cockatiels even exist in the wild?

Crossing my fingers for you to get one baby.

I wonder the same thing about robins, which don't event have a domesticated counterpart. They've got a mortality rate of something like 80% before adulthood, mostly as eggs. Thought about this quite a bit today as a robin tracked me around the yard as I edged the walkways and sometimes revealed worms. The nest is on a column on my neighbor's porch in a typical robin awkward spot.

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.

Dreggon posted:

scream whenever you can't see your bird to establish dominance

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.

Slaughterhouse-Ive posted:

For animals that forage for whatever they can find parrots certainly love wasting food.

:byodame: Don't you know there are ringnecks stah-ving in India?

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.

mombot posted:

Well, true to the Kink's song, Lola has turned out to be a boy. He is also now home with us and is fully weaned! He is already saying some words and loves to take baths. He literally takes one almost every day. He is the cutest thing, but does like to nip. We have already introduced him to Cicero and he loves Cicero, but Cicero is like "meh."

So, we are considering renaming. What do y'all think.

Untitled by Michelle Swank, on Flickr

Some ideas:

Pippin, Charlie, Loki, George, Bob. There are a bunch of ideas on Instagram, too.

Lolo ('cause he's a low rider)

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

A tumblr artist drew a bunch of gryphons including:

and

It needs more GCC gryphons though :3:

I love this so hard. My gray tabby's weirdness with fear of some common household objects often reminds me of cockatiels. He's as bitey and moody as a hormonal GCC, though.

"IMMA VELCRO ON YOU TO FORCE ADMINISTER AFFECTION AND DROOLS THEN IMMA BITE, 'KAY? 'NO' IS NOT AN OPTION. NEITHER IS 'STAAAAHP.'"

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.
ScienceDaily: Birds, not just mammals, copy yawns

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.

Battle Pigeon posted:

Forbidden love

Put the cardboard up to try to stop Steve pacing along that perch all day staring at Ohtori and shrieking. Oh god please stop shrieking bird

WEEOO

WEEOO

WEEOO

:derptiel:

More "bird" art, sorry for lovely ipad photo with poor lighting: http://i.imgur.com/GklmNXV.jpg?2

:3: I love Steve & Ohtori stories. Does the cardboard wall help at all, or is it more of Steve going "HEY! HEY! I'M A COCKATIEL! WHERE ARE YOU? ARE YOU THERE? HEY! ARE YOU A COCKATIEL, TOO? 'KAY! ALRIGHT. HEY! ARE YOU THERE? I'M RIGHT HERE. ARE YOU A COCKATIEL? I'M A COCKATIEL!"

Really like the art, too. Is that a white oak the bird is perched in? The contrast of an exotic bird in a domestic (to me) tree really piques my interest by wondering what the subject's story could be.

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.

doctorfrog posted:

They lost no time destroying the delicate parts of the toy and started on the popsicle sticks. Curiosity Rover Jones is so proud of herself, it's her new favorite perch.

Curiosity Rover Jones! :golfclap:

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.

Pile of Kittens posted:

Yeah, my bird used to rotate through which pellet was THE WORST even though they're all the loving same idiot bird.

It's like a little Richard Pryor as The Wiz in the Emerald City scene lives in birds' heads sometimes.

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.

Disco Salmon posted:

Thank you for the thoughts.

I knew you all would understand how I felt about her... no one seems to around here other than my husband. I got "It was a bird get over it." or "Its only a bird, not like it was a dog or something"

Just made me mad that no one else could see her for what she was...an amazing little chicken who thought she was a parrot. I know she lived a long happy life for a chicken and she knew she was loved.

Sorry to hear about Mercedes' death. She sounds like the best chicken and I'm glad she got to share that with you all the way through.

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.

anotherblownsave posted:

That's exactly what he was.
Any idea what the ring around his leg is?

It's an explosive device linked to pet birbs. The only way to defeat it is to post pictures frequently; otherwise, it's rigged to asplode if you don't post your birb enough.

:laugh:

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.
So many fresh birb in here. :3: Thanks to copious pictures, they will probably not explode, but my head might just implode from the d'awww.

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.

Eejit posted:

Ahaha the look on the first guy's face

Yeah, the shifting pupils and that gape are such a WTF jus' happen?? face.
:confused: :saddowns:

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.

Heh. Today's game is Shove-A-Tater.

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.
Why parrots are great vocal imitators
Regions of bird's brain likely duplicated at least 29 million years ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.

Tendai posted:

The fact that lovebirds don't smell like fruit candy is just wrong.

¡¿They don't?! :aaa: