Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

How does a crop burn like that happen? I'm assuming the food was too hot but that looks really bad. I wouldn't have expected it to look like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

My cockatiel who is typically very friendly and only very minorly aggressive is becoming a butt for the past few days. We have a budgie who likes to hang around the cockatiel, normally the cockatiel only tolerates the budgie until the little guy goes to far and he chases him off. Right now however the cockatiel is actively chasing the budgie the second he sees him to lunge at him. I've seperated them whenever I see this for the last few days.

The cockatiel has also been rubbing his vent on things far more frequently than normal and being aggressive toward hands. I'm assuming he's just getting hormonal right now for whatever reason.

Whats the best way to deal with a bird when they get like this and how long does it typically last?

For the record the bird is like 16 years old now so it's not puberty.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ze6AXtxe4Zk

Found this video about a baby macaw growing up and learning to fly outside. I realize there is all sorts of things that can go wrong with letting birds fly outside but drat if this bird isn't super adorable.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Captain Log posted:

One of my parakeets likes to bite the bars of her cage until her beak slips off, making a "PING!" noise. She will do this for hours... :stare:

My budgie does the exact same thing when he wants to be let out. In the other cage he spends time in he'll get on a ladder and use his beak to leverage it and clang it against the cage until I let him out.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

uglynoodles posted:

Hey! You guys want to see a video of Iroh being cute to incredibly fitting music, don't you?
Of course you do!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2B8oxhW4wvo

I can't believe I only got this weirdo like, four days ago?

For any videophobes I'm working on making a couple gifs. :parrot:

You should scratch in the other direction. Parrots like having their feathers ruffled, having his feathers pushed against the grain feels alot better for him than just petting.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Kenshin posted:

Zippy is dozing on my shoulder while I play Planetside 2 and bowing her head down for scritches. :3:

EDIT: omg my bird just gave me soft scritches on the neck and ear :3: she's never done that before for either of us

That is a very very pretty parrot. I especially like that third picture.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Anybody got tips for trimming a budgie's toenails? I don't have any problem with my cockatiel since he's bigger and clumsy and not as likely to run away. He's used to being handled and carried around and everything but he's still pretty flighty if he thinks I'm actively try to catch him (or it's bedtime). He's so little I'm worried about trying to towel him and put him in a headlock like I do with my cockatiel.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I wish my cockatiel was better at playing with toys. He's not much for playing but man he loves exploring. Today he was channeling Columbus himself as he waddled his way behind the couch, up the drapes, into the cupboards.

His favorite spot is to get inside one of those rectangular boxes that those single serving coffee cups come in. He can barely fit and mostly just warks at himself with his tail sticking out the hole.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I love lorikeets. They are just the prettiest birds.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I think I'd rather see a pet store where the birds were allowed to interact with a ton of people than a pet store where they weren't allowed to interact with anybody because ~germs~.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I'm so jealous of all the big bird pictures in this thread. I demand more of them.

One day I'll get a large parrot but for now I'm happy with the dynamic duo of cockatiel and budgie.

Blue the budgies was being super sweet today. He was cuddled up with my neck and turned into a little marshmallow. He doesn't really put his head down for scratches he just closer and closer to you while fluffed up until you get the idea.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

I've been thinking about getting a conure for a while now and while it's certainly not going to happen any time soon, I am kind of concerned about my living arrangement at the moment. Right now, any pet I get will be spending most of the time down in a basement. It's a pretty nice basement, but there isn't very much natural light. Is that a problem? Would a parrot even care? I just don't want to get something that would be miserable and crazy.

My parrots spend most of their time with me in the basement. They're allowed upstairs but they prefer to spend time wherever I am (they move freely between floors) so I don't think it bothers them much.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

mikerock posted:

We just put pellets in there one day instead of the regular food and went to work.

Came home to a clean food bowl.

More or less what I did. I started giving the birds seed for breakfast, pellets for lunch, and seeds for supper. Eventually phased out supper when I saw they were eating pellets during the day, then phased out breakfast a few weeks after that.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I just don't trust other pets around my birds. Even if they're the biggest sweetest gentlest guys they could accidentally kill the bird just by trying to play with it. I've heard many many good stories about the relationship between one owner's dogs and birds or cats and birds but I just can't shake the feeling that it's an accident waiting to happen.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Friend of mine has an umbrellatoo who likes to give hugs. Like full on lean into your chest and lift his wings hugs. I know you're not supposed to pet a bird anywhere but his head but that bird just loves dem hugs and i can't say no.

I wouldn't put my cockatiel next to my ear but I could probably turn my budgie into a cellphone for the thread maybe.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Peer pressure works really well. My budgie blue learned to be more sociable and people friendly by watching my cockatiel Pashtu. Pashtu learned to eat pellets and healthy food by watching blue. Now I have two drat good birds.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Repost from the PYF gif thread. Thought it would be appreciated here.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Battle Pigeon posted:

Two more local ads today, one for a little African Grey (3.5 months old, tame, they've had it for a few days, need to get rid of it because someone is allergic...)

Wanna give dat bird a home :3:

I had a blue crown conure (beautiful bird, not terribly tame but we were making great progress. He had just started letting me scratch his head after about 9 months) who had a bad fall. He was sitting on my shoulder when something startled him, i think a speaker fell over, and he took off to his cage. He missed the landing and fell into the cage and broke something. He passed away from his injuries later that day. I was so upset, he was hand raised as a baby but became less tame after being owned by somebody who didn't give him the attention he needed. He was a biter when I got him but I realized he had been inadvertantly trained to bite as an attention seeking action as he was very interactive with me when he couldn't see my hands. I spent months getting my hands bloodied and bitten trying to train him to not bite. It was the most adorable thing when we had a breakthrough probably 2 or 3 weeks into ownership when I put my nose through the cage bars (he hadn't shown any aggression or biting tendencies toward non-hand body parts) and he came over and rubbed his beak on it and made happy little conure sounds. Ugh, typing this out made me sad. I really miss him.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Malalol posted:

If your SO puts up with your bird or actually likes em, be suuuuuuuuper grateful!

My bird was here before any SO I meet. Probably going to have to be one of the knock-out questions so to speak. I would hate to be in a situation where I had to choose between SO and bird.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Zomodok posted:

Every time I wake up from a nap.

Same here. I live in fear of waking up with poo on my face.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

So my budgie loves to get his beak rubbed. He likes head scratches but he ~loves~ beak rubs. Just now I was giving him one and he was burbling quietly with his eyes closed. His head kept getting heavier and heavier in my hand. When I was finished giving him beak rubs and pulled my hand away his head actually dropped and just hung there for a second. He had been completely resting his head on my fingers and it took a good 5 seconds for him to snap out of his birdie trance and raise his head up again :3:

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

SaNChEzZ posted:

Falsefalsefalsefalse. it may learn to deal with it eventually, but that's traumatizing. Think about a monster grabbing you through the window, putting you near it's face and petting you. Then imagine your brain with 1/20th the processing power, and how that would make you react.

That said if you've been taking it slowly with your bird and they seem to have plateau'd it can be an ok option. If you already have a bird who takes treats from your hand, steps up on command, hangs out with you outside the cage, and everything else and they just don't want you to pet them forcing it (gently) can be ok.

I had to resort to that with my non-tame blue crown conure. After months of work he loved to hang out with me and would gladly eat grapes from my hand but if you tried to scratch his head he would simply back off and avoid the contact. One day when he was on my arm I just sort of forced the issue and started scratching his head even though he was trying to hunker down and hold his neck feathers stiff. After about 30 seconds of resistance he realized this was pretty okay and became a god drat cuddle bug. Again though, this was after months of training and socializing, in addition I had already spent time training him to be accepting of me touching his head, I would reward treats if he let me just touch his beak without showing signs of aggression or running away. So he was used to being touched/held he just didn't want to actually let me scratch his head until I forced it.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Bioshuffle posted:

Last night, my lovebirds started screaming bloody murder around 3am. At first I thought I was dreaming, but as soon as I realized what was going on, I ran to the room where I keep them and uncovered their cage. Nothing seemed to be out of the ordinary. I keep them in a dark room that I don't even enter once I put them to sleep. Even after I turned out the lights and covered their cage, they continued the screaming again. I left a thing of millet spray in their cage and thankfully, they went back to sleep.

I have no idea what the hell could have caused them to panic like that, but my apartment is next to a hallway that gets a lot of drunk people running through late at night. My neighbors made a noise complaint (not to the cops just to me) in the morning. I'm trying to figure out what I can do, but I'm drawing blanks. I've separated them for the time being to see if it helps, but if that doesn't work, what else can I do? I've already clipped their wings, and they get plenty of toys and outside time. I know birds are supposed to be loud, but they start screaming bloody murder at the slightest provocation, and it's driving me and my neighbors insane. I may have to start looking for a new home for them if they keep this up. :(

Possible that something spooked them but it's also possible it was just a night terror. One bird has a really bad dream and freaks the gently caress out, this freaks out all the other birds and they start thrashing and getting upset. Best thing you can do in that case is go in, turn on the light, calm them down, show them nothing is wrong, and put them back to bed. Cockatiels are particularly prone to it but I've only had one or two in the years with my birds.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

My budgie isn't exactly cuddly but he loves being on or around you. He also thinks head scratches (and more specifically beak rubs) are the BEST THING EVER and will gladly take all that you'll give.

My cockatiel is pretty cuddly and is always demanding scratches and cuddling up with my neck. His favorite thing is to take naps on my head whenever I'm taking a nap.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

My little budgie escaped the other day. I spent 5 hours trying to get him to come down from the trees he was in. I couldn't go up and get em since he was about 60 ft up. He's fully flighted but he must've never learned to fully control it when he was a baby (got him at a pet store) and he seemed unable to fly down. He kept trying, bless his little heart, but he only ever managed to land in other trees. I'd watch as he attempted to fly down only to be carried up by the wind. It was the saddest thing I had to do. He never did get down and eventually was carried too far off by the wind. Good luck little man, I don't think I'll ever see you again but I hope you at least find your way somewhere safe where another family might find you.

I need a hug.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Thanks for the kind words. I was talking about it with some friends of mine. Reminiscing and trying to just talk it out when I discovered that the average life span of a budge in captivity is only 5-8 years. In a few months I will have had my budgie for 4 years. In that time I took him from a scared timid budgie to a hand tame explorer who loved to sleep in the sun on my shoulder and would fall asleep in my hand if I rubbed his head long enough.

It's a shame to have him taken from me and I hope to hell he's doing well out there somewhere but at least I improved his life while I had him. I can't get another budgie though, I can't imagine one was good as he was.

Still have the derptiel.

I actually took the derp with me while I was trying to get the budgie back. The derp is clipped (he turns into a jerk if you let his feathers grow out) and has been going outside for years so he was used to it. He hung out on my shoulder and sang for the budgie while I was trying to entice him back down.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Official Bizness posted:

Nothing will erase her frightened cheeps and obvious shivering as she flirted from tree to tree to roof to the forest from my mind.

Oh man 2 birds in 2 days. That is horrible. I'm so sorry for you. I know what you mean. The contact calls as they disappear from sight is heart wrenching and I don't think I'll ever forget either. Godspeed Chiyo. Somewhere in our neck of the woods a little budgie and a little lovebird are going to meet up and find a home together I think.

E: vvvv Oh man I got my sad all over your sad. God everything is awful today.

Agent355 fucked around with this message at 02:58 on May 12, 2013

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Tasty_Crayon posted:

That breaks my heart. Do any of you three have any feathers that you saved? I'm a jeweler and I'm trying something new, and I'd love to use the opportunity to give you something to ease the pain.

Thats a really sweet offer but I don't have any feathers I've kept. I really appreciate the thought though.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Tui's story was so sad.

My dream is to get an african grey someday when I'm more capable of meeting the bird's needs. After losing my budgie like this I'm also looking into getting a flight harnass and making sure to both teach my bird how to fly and fly well and train her to fly to me on command.

I found my budgie easily enough but the combination of him being a poor flier and not being trained to come to me hurt us. I feel if I had been a better bird trainer I could have got the little guy back.

When I have the time and money to get a larger parrot I will definitely being going the extra mile to make sure that even if he does get out he's prepared and I can just find him and bring him home.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Here's the closest thing I could find on google.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I found (a thread that found) something bird related.

It's a little odd but I got a kick out of it.

http://unbadger.tumblr.com/tagged/burdal

This little guy might be hitting a bit too close to home but he's still cute :3:

It's all portal characters as birds if the joke evades you. The budgie is wheatley.

Agent355 fucked around with this message at 17:24 on May 14, 2013

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

It's a duck

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

mikerock posted:

Scout has learned a new phrase. When we hold her over a safe pooping area we say "Go Poop!"

Now when we hold her over a safe poop spot she says "Go Poop" and then poops!

My favorite phrase for this will forever be 'bombs away' :allears:

I've tried to train my cockatiel but he is totally resistant to it and wants to have nothing to do with it. He just wants to nap.

I will say though he seems to actively enjoy being the only bird in the house now since I lost Blue. He sings alot more often and is just generally better tempered. Could be a coincidence but I don't know, I haven't seen him act like this before.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Saw this in the weird fanart thread. I have no idea what it's about but I love the buff GCC

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

The biggest problem I have with my cockatiel is that he is only happy if he's out of his cage and 95% of his time is going to be spent on a person. He has play stands and toys and things to do besides hang out with me but he's not interested. It's flattering but at times I really want him to stop trying to stand right in my face and get head scratches from my nose :3:

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Tasty_Crayon posted:

Haha, Leeloo is mad because she can't find an edge to peel my nailpolish off. At first she was just skittering her tongue across it trying to get purchase, but now she's angrily whacking it with her beak over and over... "WHAT WITCHERY IS THIS?" :catstare:

:3:

My cockatiel has really taken to 'talking' to shaking noises. Shake a box of pasta and he'll start chipring and chattering away, and he stops whenever you stop shaking it, doesn't matter what it is. If he's in a really good mood he'll talk and chatter to your finger if you tap it on the desk in front of him.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

This makes me miss my budgie. I've seen him do that same stupid run before when chasing my cockatiel around (or running over to say hi!).

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Staryberry posted:

Mindo and his crooked beak would like to give cockatiels a run for their money on the derpiness scale.

I freaking love Mindo. I always look forward to hearing about him. He's so beautiful and looks like he has a great personality.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

:3: electus is my favorite type of parrot that I don't want to own.