Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plastic Pal
Jun 5, 2004

~ It's you. Only you. ~

What is the general feeling in this thread about sharing stuff about an ongoing experience raising a small wild passerine bird that is not conventionally kept? This wasn't a thing we wanted to do necessarily -- the raptor center near us was closed due to the pandemic; the alternative was to let the baby die on the scorching concrete.

It has been a unique and amazing but very hard (and rightly not recommended) experience that might be interesting for some here, maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plastic Pal
Jun 5, 2004

~ It's you. Only you. ~

This thread is one of my few sources of happy from these here forums these days. Requesting goon linnie vids or gifs if anyone has them to share. :3:

Plastic Pal
Jun 5, 2004

~ It's you. Only you. ~

oh my god

:love:

Plastic Pal
Jun 5, 2004

~ It's you. Only you. ~

The barn swallow nest my roommate and I had been watching outside of the store she works at since last summer was torn down this morning by an rear end in a top hat handyman who destroyed the eggs, sprayed the mom with something sticky before throwing her on the ground. Roomie found her bloodied with broken feathers. gently caress.

We took her to the local raptor center just now.

We were watching her dutifully sit on her eggs and were looking forward to seeing the babies grow up and fledge. We are absolutely gutted and we are going to report that shitbag to the feds for violating the Migratory Bird Act.

I hope the center can save the mom.

God I'm so sad.

Plastic Pal
Jun 5, 2004

~ It's you. Only you. ~

Captain Log posted:

Good God, I'm loving fuming. I literally think a person like could drat well be a psychopath. Even if you heartlessly removed the nest, spraying the bird?!
You do everything you can to bust this rear end in a top hat.

Oh we will be. According to the employees at the store, he was a smirking bragging rear end in a top hat about it when confronted. loving sociopathic poo poo. All the employees loved those swallows and are absolutely furious. They have his license plate and fact finding is continuing.

Last I know of, the raptor center was set to transport all the little songbirds it had in its care up to Chintimini Wildlife Center that afternoon -- the little swallow mom is probably up there right now. Part of me wants to call them tomorrow to see how she's doing, part of me is scared to find out...but I need to know, I think. I want her to survive in spite of that monster, so so much.

Plastic Pal fucked around with this message at 13:25 on May 21, 2021

Plastic Pal
Jun 5, 2004

~ It's you. Only you. ~

This will be my last post about this because it's just so loving depressing and I'm sorry to the thread, but the little mom swallow didn't make it. It was loving bird glue. Bird glue. BIRD GLUE. Cascades Raptor Center is directly helping us get this properly reported. They are on this like white on rice.

I'm gonna go get high out of my mind now and try to stop wishing death on all humanity.

Edit: yeah the idea behind using glue is to prevent the bird from escaping and to kill the bird by its own exhaustion from struggling. It wasn't an option for this man to just remove the nest and allow her to fly away. He wanted these birds to suffer.

Plastic Pal fucked around with this message at 17:57 on May 22, 2021

Plastic Pal
Jun 5, 2004

~ It's you. Only you. ~

I'm fascinated by those Australian magpies. Their voices are amazing and weirdly soothing. I'm super envious of anyone who gets to be friends with them. :3:

Plastic Pal
Jun 5, 2004

~ It's you. Only you. ~

I've been watching barn swallow nest livestreams lately because they make me feel better about some things and I wish to share with you all this moment of purestrain adorable:

https://i.imgur.com/YoSAWdl.mp4

Plastic Pal fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jun 12, 2021

Plastic Pal
Jun 5, 2004

~ It's you. Only you. ~

If you haven't seen this video of this really old dude and his dove friend, you should at some point:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAl1A3rceZA

:3:

Plastic Pal
Jun 5, 2004

~ It's you. Only you. ~

Captain Log posted:

If I had less self control, I would have brought this very special Borb Fren home yesterday.

omg this bird

wish I could pet that fluffy gentleman

Plastic Pal
Jun 5, 2004

~ It's you. Only you. ~

Aaah unbearably cute. The flip at 1:03 did me in.

I love budgies so much; they're such lovable random little goofs. :3:

Plastic Pal
Jun 5, 2004

~ It's you. Only you. ~

Captain Log posted:

Meanwhile, in Serra Land -

Such an adorable blorb. The bird cleavage is too much, I am slain.

Plastic Pal
Jun 5, 2004

~ It's you. Only you. ~

SuperKlaus posted:

Don't you love it when they grind beak so solidly they kinda pop

Once they're all covered up, I say goodnight quietly to my three budgies, each in turn, just so I can hear them reply with the little contented grinding noises. :3:

Plastic Pal
Jun 5, 2004

~ It's you. Only you. ~

bee posted:

she grabs onto her perch and flaps around in the same spot for a minute or two.

One of mine will do that when she's got a sudden case of the crazies and that seems to happen anytime, as far as I've seen!

Plastic Pal fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Jun 25, 2022

Plastic Pal
Jun 5, 2004

~ It's you. Only you. ~

for months I've been meaning to introduce my three goofballs to the thread

let's see if my attention span can make it this time

top to bottom: Aumy, ChitChit, LoLo

All girls by compete chance.

Aumy's the moody, territorial brat who loves biting the gently caress out of fingers whenever she's not in the best of moods (and sometimes even then), but she has her sweet moments. She loves to eat and to destroy and gets super fluffycute when you talk to her sweetly. She really is a good bird but it took me a while to figure her out.

ChitChit is the sweet one, gentle, very loving and totally unbossy for a girlbudg. We thought she was a boy before her cere changed just due to how flirty, friendly & sing-y she was. She's the one on top when she and Aumy get randy enough for those acrobatics.

LoLo's the newest of the flock. She's albino and sickeningly adorable. She came from the store actually hand-tame and accustomed to eating vegetables (which the others picked up from her, thankfully!!). She's easily the most well-adjusted of them all, absolutely the brightest, sassiest, funniest personality & is totally unbullyable. She just stands up real tall in response and makes sweet sounds and cute-wiggles at the other bird and they just get totally disarmed by her and run away. She's the bee's knees.

There, I finally did it!!

edit: well here's a video too I guess

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgNAA42nTeE

Plastic Pal fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Aug 5, 2022

Plastic Pal
Jun 5, 2004

~ It's you. Only you. ~

I have given the trio all of the posted sentiments -- naturally accompanied with millet -- and they crunch and crackle their regards. Thank you all for such a nice reception of my birdos. :lovebird:

Plastic Pal
Jun 5, 2004

~ It's you. Only you. ~

LonsomeSon posted:

I loving love birds.

:yossame:

Aumy & ChitChit would ever so cautiously try whatever vegetable I'd offer, like just the tiniest little beak-touch and recoil immediately with much shaking of heads to fling off the foulness, and then they'd hop away and stare at me balefully like I'd just tried to poison them or something. "This...offal...is MOIST. We HATE it and will remember your crime FOREVER."

I just gave up after a few go-rounds with this.

Then LoLo appeared. I didn't even think they'd become interested at all, but watching weeks of LoLo eat her food changed their minds -- they couldn't wait to jump on her cafeteria tray and grab beakfuls once I let them out to socialize directly with her. Now they all tromp around together in a mess of chopped veggies for communal breakfast. It's so gratifying to watch.

Thank you little white bird. ;u;

Plastic Pal
Jun 5, 2004

~ It's you. Only you. ~

mediaphage posted:

idk the bird didn’t exactly seem to be happy (not that it was freaking out or anything). find these a little weird if i’m honest

I feel bad for the birds, poor things.

Plastic Pal
Jun 5, 2004

~ It's you. Only you. ~

lmao

Plastic Pal
Jun 5, 2004

~ It's you. Only you. ~

Accidents can and do happen **even in the most ideal and perfectly-tailored conditions**. One of my birds got her leg wedged between a perch & a cage bar and couldn't do anything but dangle from that leg upside down. I was loving lucky I was home and heard her make an unusual cry of distress, so I was able to rescue her right away. Luckily her leg wasn't broken but it easily could have been, and if I had been out of the house, the poor thing would have been in pain and maybe shock the whole time until I returned.

We as bird lovers don't ever want accidents to happen to our beloved companions. Of course we don't.

The lesson learned was harsh and undeniable and didn't need anyone rubbing glass into the hurt. That was *low*.

Plastic Pal
Jun 5, 2004

~ It's you. Only you. ~

So, my roomie has been befriending the local stellers and scrub jays by providing peanuts in the front yard. The stellers have started peering directly into the windows right up to the glass looking for her when they want more and it's the coolest thing, lol.

The budgies were scared of the jays at first but now are calm little pools about it.

However they're REALLY alarmed by the big crow that is now starting to show up much closer thanks to roomie's patient coaxing. I always have to talk soothingly to the little things that everything is ok and those big scary birds absolutely can't get inside.

If I can get pictures I'll share em with the thread. :3

Plastic Pal
Jun 5, 2004

~ It's you. Only you. ~

theHUNGERian posted:

Come on thread! Lurkers like me can only provide so much content.

https://i.imgur.com/9FX603Y.mp4

that is so sweet :3:

Plastic Pal
Jun 5, 2004

~ It's you. Only you. ~

Qubee posted:

How is Mayo? Temperamentally-wise. If she's tubing, it means she's trying to find a nest, which means she's hormonal.

It's endlessly interesting to me how wildly different personalities are from bird to bird. My ChitChit girl is super hormonal right now, but she retains her polite, sweet demeanor, instead becoming extremely distracted by soft cloth (she'll fixate on the shirts people are wearing, and get close in order to pull at the material https://youtube.com/shorts/MpoALSL4X28) and shadowy corners where she'll stick her head into and make cute little 'byoo!' sounds over and over. https://youtube.com/shorts/ieg01UiGOdE

Aumy, on the other hand, turns into this serious-faced jealous bossy flitting thing who loves landing on/attaching-to places she knows she's not supposed to be, and displacing other birds at her whim. She can bite unbelievably hard for a small bird when she's testy but is so much better about not biting *as much* nor as hard now. I can even boop her beak with a 95% certainty of safety most days.

LoLo hasn't hit the full-on hormonal stage yet but she's getting there. She's still in that carefree young-bird phase where everything is just fun and play and happy-sing. Enjoying that while it lasts.

How did I end up with three girls. :doh:

Bonus video with the birbs being good birbs, best if full screen bc of annoying vertical:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4eSZeHbxZI8

Plastic Pal fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Nov 29, 2022

Plastic Pal
Jun 5, 2004

~ It's you. Only you. ~

LoLo hasn't had her wings in for very long so she's still really uncertain about how to land on things when it calls for more precision than 'land gracelessly on top of cage'.

Plastic Pal
Jun 5, 2004

~ It's you. Only you. ~

Brick Shipment posted:

How do I make this dumbass stop??

Are you saying this bird regurgitates when it sees you/ knows when you are around, or is this a "whenever there are things to throw up on" situation? I guess it'd be tough to tell.

I've seen birds display mating signals when their favorite person is around. Maybe the trigger is just you? Which would be very sweet but very unfortunate and I have no idea how or if that kind of thing can be corrected beyond rehoming and I'm no expert.

Plastic Pal
Jun 5, 2004

~ It's you. Only you. ~

LoLo greeted me this morning like this.

\/\/ hell yes

Plastic Pal fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Dec 10, 2022

Plastic Pal
Jun 5, 2004

~ It's you. Only you. ~

Plant MONSTER. posted:

It's funny. I woke up feeling better than I did the day before but a few hours later
the pain is worse than ever.

It's the worst part of owning a pet. Like it's come to the point where I don't think I want any more pets bc it just hurts too much when they go & I don't have it in me for more sorrow these days.

I look at my three budgies and I just dread when I'll have to say goodbye; they're so precious and unique and every day is brightened by their little-but-giant presences. I don't have much but I have them and they make me so happy.

Every life goes away & not always in the way we'd wish; it just can't be helped. If we keep pets, the best we can do is make their lives warm, safe and content up until then. Your little birb was clearly loved and treasured. My sympathies.

Plastic Pal
Jun 5, 2004

~ It's you. Only you. ~

Here's my little white budg because she's just so happy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Syo0hKvD-9g&t=10s

Plastic Pal
Jun 5, 2004

~ It's you. Only you. ~

Aww that is a sweet cockatiel. I wish my little birds would let me pet them -- they're all store budgies and just don't know any better. Only LoLo sometimes allows an actual scritch; I think someone really loved her & gave her special attention while she was being raised as she arrived way better adjusted than my other two.

I've never had a cockatiel. They seem chill.

Plastic Pal
Jun 5, 2004

~ It's you. Only you. ~

ChitChit has lovely dots

She really is the sweetest girlbudg. Very polite and sings all the time and she worries about the other birds so much that if they look lonely or in distress, she'll come over to keep them company. Not a mean bone in her little blue body. She's my best blue girl. :3:

Plastic Pal
Jun 5, 2004

~ It's you. Only you. ~

Pookah posted:

I just want to give her all the millet sprays in the world.
Like all budgies, Chit adores millet but she's timid about it, so if there's any competition, she'll often just fly back into her own cage to wait for her share to be delivered in peace. I've started just holding a spray in each hand -- one for the two other milletmonsters to frantically razor through, and one I'll hold out to the side for just ChitChit. She appreciates this so much and will delicately munch away at her own pace.

She's such a sweet little soul and I'm glad she has melted all the hearts here. :3:

Plastic Pal
Jun 5, 2004

~ It's you. Only you. ~

Rakeris posted:

Got two birb videos today, first one is not safe for birds at work.

Aw such a good bunch of birbs!

I wish my girls were good with the step-ups but we haven't gotten there yet. They'll only do it when bribed with millet. :negative:

Plastic Pal
Jun 5, 2004

~ It's you. Only you. ~

Plant MONSTER. posted:

She likes her greens!

Are those little clovers?

Also this face is doing me in

Plastic Pal
Jun 5, 2004

~ It's you. Only you. ~

o m f god
that is unbelievably adorable

Plastic Pal
Jun 5, 2004

~ It's you. Only you. ~

Wait, is that bird making...R2D2 noises?

...that is so cute

Plastic Pal
Jun 5, 2004

~ It's you. Only you. ~

EKDS5k posted:

Hello bird thread.

Hello, I love your flying assholes, they're adorable!

Plastic Pal
Jun 5, 2004

~ It's you. Only you. ~

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DXJuDUIxcs

My flying turds doing a thing they all think is just great and fun.

Actually the only one who is a real turd is Aumy who is of course the one setting the bad example.

That's a great cobweb I'm suddenly aware of.

Plastic Pal
Jun 5, 2004

~ It's you. Only you. ~

mediaphage posted:

current thoughts are that she probably managed to injure her wing,

Poor darling birdie, I hope she feels better soon.

Plastic Pal
Jun 5, 2004

~ It's you. Only you. ~

I would love a tag too, if that's ok, since I am indeed a bird crazy. That plat feather is sweet tho, wish I could have that, drat.

edit: as an offering to the birb tag gods, here are my birds:

chitchit and lolo love broccoli a whole lot

aumy shows her happy face to the camera after she ate a ton of said broccoli

Plastic Pal fucked around with this message at 05:36 on May 23, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plastic Pal
Jun 5, 2004

~ It's you. Only you. ~

That sweet little soul; my heart is breaking for her and you. Being on her human must be such a comfort to her.

:sympathy: