Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES
This manga is great, and at least partially a shot at how god-awful and stifling the Japanese public school system is. The school practically makes every problem with the modern Japanese public school a way of life.

The translator missed an opportunity for fun transliteration with Mrs. Jelavic, though; if he/she added an "h" to her last name, she could be Big Sis Hellabitch or Miss Hellabitch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

Dan7el posted:

You'd think with all the training these assassin boys and girls have had with how to kill their teacher, they'd each be less of a pushover for their more hateful school-mates. Seems the opposite.

I keep waiting for them to show their skills. Nada.

Koro-sensei to the rescue again. I understand he's cool and awesome and all that, but it'd be nice to see the kids do something on their own for once without him spoon feeding them all the way through it.

I don't think Jump would be cool with actual high school students killing other high school students. Also, in not acting violently, they show themselves to be spiritually superior. It's some Karatedo restraint poo poo.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

Dr_Amazing posted:

Notebook kid is going to figure out a 100% escape proof method. He'll confront Koro Sensei and try to convince him to give up without actually killing him. Koro Sensei will admit the plan if flawless and agree. The story ends without us ever finding out what it is.

Fans all declare that the method of assassination was not important and it was all about the characters.

A story is all about the characters, though.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

tsob posted:

Most stories perhaps, but not all stories. I doubt you'll find many people who'll say that Rendevous with Rama is a bad story for instance, but it's definitely more about the mystery of Rama and themes of scienctific hope than the characters themselves.

There's a joke about science fiction and sperglords who don't understand actual people enough to understand characterization in there, but I'm not about to speak ill of Arthur C. Clarke.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

Korobaasan was the best, though the Goku/Raditz panel was good, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

Cultists are bad at rearing children, apparently.

• Locked thread