Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011
Holy crap... that's a massive amount of info.

I just to mention just two links that could be added.

In terms of modding the original brick gameboy (dmg), there's a relatively simple and cheap way to backlight the screen. It involves a little modding, and a little soldering, but any one can really do it (the soldering points are large).

The backlights can be found here: http://store.kitsch-bent.com/category/by-console-game-boy

Also, the old brick isn't known for having the best contrast ratio, even with it turned all the way up. But there's a trick to get a massive amount of contrast, and it's called biversion. Basically you rotate the polarization film you get from the backlight (light pixels become dark, etc), and then you invert the pixels electronically. The effect cancels out and you get a crystal clear picture.

There's a huge scene that primarily deals with modding these old gameboys for chiptune musicians. Just check the site above to see what I mean.

Also, another link I just want to mention is http://www.timewalkgames.com/

They're another repro maker for NES and SNES games... but they do one thing crucially different from others: They also seal the games in original style boxes with manuals and inserts. It's a bit pricey, but they make excellent products (just check the videos on their site).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

midge posted:

It's pretty loving massive. As a collective we really need to start using and reference the wiki more. As much as I respect the effort that went into the OP, you are basically pandering to people that don't want to use the wiki.

Let it be said that I'm just as much to blame for this as anyone else.

Did anyone ever get a better domain name for that wiki? It will always be obscure until it has a memorable name

ACID POLICE posted:

Just wanted to say for anyone who might have ordered an SD2SNES from Retrogate, I ordered on October 15 and it just shipped. Also, you'll get a Ukraine Post tracking number probably (RA#########UA), and it was kind of an unintuitive process to find out how to track registered Ukraine mail:

http://www.ukrposhta.com/www/upost_en.nsf/search_post?openpage

Yea, I emailed krikzz, and he said mine will be shipped today. I haven't received a tracking number though (possibly because I ordered through paypal, and I forgot to create an account on the site beforehand).

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

Slum Loser posted:

This thread reminded me of a problem I got.

My Gameboy is missing lines in parts of the display and I'm wondering if that's a cleaning issue or actual damage. I haven't played anything on it in years, or fiddled with trying to clean it, because I don't know what to do and don't want to make it worse.

I'm pretty sure Nintendo stopped selling cleaning cartridges but I'll see if I can find one or something similar. My brother had the kit, shouldn't be too hard to dig up. Meanwhile, is my Gameboy hosed?

It's generally an issue with the ribbon connected to the display. It's actually a pretty easy fix. This link explains it in more detail than I can say here:
http://www.maxjusticz.com/restore-modify-an-original-dmg-gameboy/

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

Thanks! Info added to the OP. Did you ever get anything from that TimeWalkGames before? That is incredible.

Not yet. I'm thinking of picking up Zelda Parallel Worlds Remodel as a christmas present to myself though.

But I've watched the youtube unboxings of those repros, and they're incredible.

I also want to get Mario Adventure but it seems to be out of stock at the moment.

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

zenintrude posted:

Can someone explain how places like this don't get C&D'd into oblivion? I mean, if Square could shut down a free fan project, surely they could shut down a for profit (for all intents and purposes) cart bootlegging operation if they wanted to, right?

Not advocating that they should, but I am puzzled by the whole thing.

Beats me. The whole idea that repro makers take copyrighted code and resell verges into some grey territory, but a lot of hard work goes into creating these carts. You're mostly paying for the work, and not so much the game itself. At least thats how I look at it.

Anyway, I'm almost ready to buy a poo poo ton of those universal game cases (100 to be exact). Got quoted for $59 shipped for them all. But, I don't need that many, so if I do buy it, I'll have plenty extras if anyone wants some.

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

ACID POLICE posted:

Anyone put those kitsch-bent backlit Game Boy screens in a Game Boy Pocket? :10bux: such a reasonable price for them, but I also kind of want to wait for new colors to get back in stock.

You could if you wanted (I haven't), but it's a much more finicky install.

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

Chainclaw posted:

The HD / updated art in that Kickstarter looks pretty awful to me, I'm skipping it.

I was thinking the same thing, but I didn't want to be the first to say it. I'm all for redrawing art to utilize the hardware you have available, but (and I know it's probably early artwork) if it's not coherent with the rest of the art, then it just comes off being ugly.

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

Saoshyant posted:

Oh, hell with you people. I just bought retrogooning.com

Retro Gooning Dot Com

It's like retro gaming, but you replace "gaming" with "gooning". It is very easy to remember. :toughguy:

DNS should propagate properly for everyone tomorrow. This is how you access the wiki now. If you haven't created an account yet, I can be reached by email, Steam, or forum PM to create one for you -- just click on my profile.

Awesome.

I'll try to update and add some stuff on there.

However, I can't create an account to edit pages:

quote:

You do not have permission to create this user account, for the following reason:
The action you have requested is limited to users in the group: Administrators.

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

Saoshyant posted:

I'm not sure if you are joking. Both the homepage of the wiki and the post you just quoted mention you need to contact me to create an account for you.

Why would I joke about that? Hell, I spent 5 minutes just trying to figure out how to sign up. Yea, now that you mention it, I see a one line blurb saying I need to contact you but whatever.

But don't worry about it.

On a side note, I just ordered a case of 100 universal game cases.
http://www.mediashelving.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=W&Product_Code=USCG&Category_Code=MED

:retrogames:

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

midge posted:

Thanks babe. There is 28 because a guy (WickedIcon) dropped out yesterday. Could you send me the plain text of this in a PM so I can add it on that 2nd post in the thread?

I'm also considering bringing the sign in cut off date forward to a week on Friday (16th) since sign ups have started dropping off.

I've been on the edge of that a few times, but their Canadian shipping is bullshit cost.

How much was it? It cost $16 to ship to me. I curious what they'd cost to canada.

But yea, international shipping has always been ridiculous. I understand shipping overseas is expensive, but shipping across the border to canada should only differ in a few bucks.

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011
What's the best way to clean the snes cartridge slot?

Reason why I ask, because mine seems super sensitive to the tiniest amount of dirt being on a cartridge (as in, I clean the cart itself with qtip+isopropyl, and two days later I need to do it again). I know nintendo sold one using these flat pads in a cartridge, but I'd rather do it with stuff I have on hand.

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

zenintrude posted:

Alcohol dampened t-shirt wrapped around a credit card is the standard cartridge slot cleaning solution.

Thanks, I'll have to give that a try. Never even thought of that. Ingenious.

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

The screen will still look like poo poo though. It's a shame, that outside of modding it for video out, that there's no way to get a good screen on the game gear.

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011
I figure I'll ask here first.

But I'm trying to get my hands on a Gamecube with a gameboy player for a reasonable price. It has to be a DOL-001 (the one with the digital av port). I'd prefer having the game boy player startup disc, but because I'll likely mod the gc, it's not really necessary.

If not, I'll just keep looking on ebay.

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

hahahahaha

Hey! If anyone knows a way we can do reproduction labels at home, I'd love to know. I got some labels that are pretty messed up (this is crazy spergy but I noticed later SNES games' labels were more "papery" and ones released like 1994 and before are more "shiny". The older ones have some sort of protective coat on them, and newer games like DKC2 and Yoshi's Island are the more "papery" feeling ones, thus they have wear (usually at where the end label bends). I'd like to replace those, but every photo I've ever printed with any printer I've tried, I get something that if I get it slightly damp, it will smear the ink.

After you print the label you use one of those sticky laminating sheets and protect the printed side of the label.

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

So simple, yet, it never occurred to me :frogbon:

Is that how the sites who have awesome reproductions do it? Hell, it how companies like Nintendo do (did) it?

It depends I guess. I'm sure some use high quality photo paper as their labels, and others may just use regular paper labels and laminate them. And perhaps some use a color laser printer.

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011
Just found this out...

Remember the backlight mod for the original gba, and how you had to order the cable from a guy in china?

Well, looks like someone bought a bunch of the guy's cables, and is repackaging them in a nice little kit WITH the screen. Found this from thecoverproject.net.

http://rosecoloredgaming.wordpress.com/

Supposedly he'll be charging in the neighborhood of ~$60 (fwiw, when I bought directly from the guy in china, the equivalent cost me $55). Totally loving worth it. Seriously. I'll probably buy from him in the future just to avoid having to go through international shipping from china.

fatpat268 fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Nov 9, 2012

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011
Beats me. Maybe china had a large stock of ags 101s that never made over here? Haha.

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011
So uh yea.... this is what 100 universal game cases look like.

I guess it's time to start printing some covers.

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

Ambitious Spider posted:

I'd totally be all about that if I had the room to put a bunch of fully cased games.

I didn't have the room either, so I traded in a bunch of dvds I'll never watch again into amazon, and now I have a ton of shelf space. My problem now is trying to figure out where to put this giant rear end box of empty cases.

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

Yeah I think that Gameboy was the last of the "clear electronics" phase though the Gameboy Color had a semi-transparent purple.

*Ahem*

Only released in japan, afaik. They also have this beauty:

On another note, does anyone here have any spare 1.5 amp picofuses? They're the fuses used to commonly repair SNES systems that don't power on. It seems like every place online has never heard of first class shipping and charges at least $7 for shipping. Which is ridiculous for such a small item, and would be more than what I paid for this snes. Nevermind. Digikey has cheap shipping and only charges 73 cents per fuse. This'll be a great time to try their cr2032 holders for easy battery replacement.

fatpat268 fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Nov 11, 2012

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

Is it really that good/compatible?

Depends what you consider "good." A lot of the popular stuff plays well, but some of the more obscure stuff is unlikely to play well. If all you want to do is play Final Fantasy X and the like, then yea it's pretty good.

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

Kilazar posted:

Got a quick question in regards to the GC gameboy player. Since it is easy for me to find cheap one's local with no startup disc, will the GC accept a burned copy? Or do I need to bight the bullet and just search for one that actually has the disk.

And why the hell was no one able to actually hold on to their startup disk *shakes fist*

Well, fwiw, modding a GC with a xeno gc modchip is extremely easy, even for noob solderers.

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011
I know I said it before, but I'll say it again. You can save a lot of money by buying Japanese versions of certain games, if ebay is your only option.

I recently bought SMW, Mario Allstars, and Yoshis Island in Japanese for $21 (including shipping). If you're looking at just ebay prices, the US versions would run you double that. Same with stuff like Donkey Kong Country, Zelda, etc. Yea, you're going to miss out on some story text, but let's be honest, you're not playing these games for the story.

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

I somehow had a few hours to spare today so I did another SNES mod for a goon. I was able to find purple LEDs this time:

You can't really tell it's purple from the picture, though.

I am going to have to take a short break from doing this; I will still get to the ones I promised other goons but I am running out of SNES mini's and if I spend all my days with a soldering iron I'll never get around to not playing retro games :)

Yuck. You really should put that led under the power switch.

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

Yeah I'll do that but then you can't see that it's purple :saddowns:

Sure you could:

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

What the...did you drill a hole there?

Yep. drilled a hole right under the power slider, and mounted a 5mm flat top led flush with the plastic. It doesn't hinder the function of the power switch at all, and when turned off, it looks completely stock.

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

iastudent posted:

I would've had these last Friday, but a medical emergency kept me out of the home just long enough to miss the mailman. Also I knew that you have better luck tracing down CIB stuff in Japan, but drat. They really know how to take care of their stuff.

Well, I'd also imagine that the plastic bit that holds the carts allows the box to retain its shape better than the cardboard holders in the US SNES boxes.

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

ZackHoagie posted:

Japanese remakes of Western RPGs of the era are quickly becoming my favorite thing.

You gotta be more specific than that.

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011
I just resurrected a dead SNES that had a blown fuse. Feelin pretty good right now. :smuggo:

Now, I just need to clean the inside of it out, because holy poo poo it's dirty as gently caress on the inside. Incidentally though, it plays games perfectly fine that don't read well on my SNES mini. I guess I have to give the cartridge slot a better cleaning on my mini.

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011
Ooooh... look what just arrived in the mail. :smuggo:

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011
I figure I'll ask here. I doubt I'll get much of a response, but what the hell.

I'm looking for Xeno GC modchip for the gamecube. Anyone in here have a spare they're willing to sell me? They're becoming harder and harder to find, and the only ones I can find either ship from Australia, Thailand, or China. Trying to find someone in the US that may have one.

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011
I just bought a retrode from stoneagegamer (they have a cyber monday 15% off sale). I can now finally get around to replacing all the save batteries in my snes games with battery holders now.

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

Allen Wren posted:

I have massive sads that I located this thread after the secret santa thing started. This sounds like a fantastic idea. NEXT YEAR.

I'll be sad when I see all the pictures, but I couldn't really participate this time around as I don't really have the money to spend right now. All that money is going towards an xrgb mini right now. :unsmigghh:

Well that, and I recently picked bought a retrode and am now feeding an obsession of gamecube games. I swear, I have more fun buying stuff than I do playing the games. :retrogames:

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011
*welp* I finally did. Ordered the xrgb mini

Now I just need to reconfigure my scart to rgb-21.

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

Kreeblah posted:

Buy this instead. JP21 cables are much more of a pain in the rear end to find than SCART cables and it'd be annoying to have to mod every cable you buy.

So, how many of us does this make now? There's me, Hamburglar, now fatpat268, and I could swear there were a couple other people in the thread with XRGB minis.

More money down the hole. :smith: Add to that, I'm trying to source some Gamecube component cables, but ebay prices are outrageous for an already outrageously priced item.

Edit:

Also, I'll be putting up some more stuff on SA-Mart soon, but I figure I give you retrogoons first dibs on two of these things if you're interested.

Tetris Battle Gaiden for $30 shipped
Legend of Zelda Links Awakening $12 shipped

These'll go up tomorrow (probably) on SA-Mart, but like I said, anyone in here has first dibs.

fatpat268 fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Nov 28, 2012

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

Safari Disco Lion posted:

I would take Link's Awakening, I've been looking for a copy for a decent price. Do you have PMs?

Yes, I have pms.

Sexy Slippers posted:

I'd like Tetris Battle Gaiden please and thank you. Where do I send my money!

I didn't even know this existed!

paypal is plc268@gmail.com

It'll likely go out in the mail tomorrow, as I'm heading to work in about an hour.

VVVVVVV
Label Printed and will be dropped off today.

fatpat268 fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Nov 28, 2012

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

Keyboard Kid posted:

The dude over at http://www.videogameboxprotectors.com/ has some pretty high-quality, thin plastic casing that you can use for cartridges and boxes. It's not airtight or waterproof or anything, if that's what you're looking for. I'm personally not a fan of the collector case stuff (uses too much space and I don't really care for silly boxes).

As far as those universal game cases go, they're nearly the exact same size as the snes boxes.

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

Sexy Slippers posted:

Just got home from work, payment has been sent. Thanks!

Awesome, it'll be in the mail tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

Kilazar posted:

dammit, you beat me to the edit :P

My work keyboard has some weird key press issues. And I phantom type letters on it pretty regularly lol.

If it wasn't a stupidly costly game to obtain, I would. But it has insane value. So I'm going to toss it in my collection, and maybe my son will enjoy it when he is old enough. I would like to eventually have the entire SNES library in physical possession. But I know that is not going to happen, so I have to get what I can where I can when it comes to the expensive ones.

I'm going to start him off on the NES when he hits about 3, then upgrade him to the snes around 5. :D. Yes, I brewed my own personal gaming buddy since no one else wants to play old school games with me.

Besides.. It is only a really middling maybe that this trade will go through.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Don't remove the battery. Yea, sure there's a chance for leakage, but effort to remove and install the battery when you do want to finally play it, isn't exactly trivial. If you do want to go that route, have someone install a battery holder that lets you pop in and out a cr2032 easily without having to resort to soldering them in (or god forbid using electrical tape).

Also, as an aside, don't force retro gaming on your kids. Offer it up to them, but let them create their own nostalgia and memories of games. Imagine if you were a 90s kid forced to play stuff like 2600 games because that's what your dad enjoyed. (I'm using the word "forced" loosely here) Anyway, my point is, is that the playing of games should be experienced naturally, not on some kind of artificial time scale.

• Locked thread