Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!
In addition to the pokemon thing, Carson will also have to top the dead-rabbit-skeet-shoot ad, which remains my favorite thing from Cain's run last time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
And the smoking campaign manager ad, and having "awwwwwwwwww shucky ducky!" as a catchphrase, and a tax plan based on Sim City 2000.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Well yes, it is admittedly hard to choose just one.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Joementum posted:

the smoking campaign manager ad
This fills me with joy and sadness because I know that 2016 cannot possibly be half as amazing. There were no bad ideas floated in those (smoky) back rooms. Every single expensive crazy idea got a subcommittee behind it and got made for public consumption.

Like how that Clint Eastwood chair thing really happened.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

shadow puppet of a posted:

This fills me with joy and sadness because I know that 2016 cannot possibly be half as amazing. There were no bad ideas floated in those (smoky) back rooms. Every single expensive crazy idea got a subcommittee behind it and got made for public consumption.

Yeah well we said there was no way that 2012 could be half as great as 2008. Keep your hopes up! I'm sure the Republicans will do their due diligence to keep us entertained next election.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
You guys give the Republicans too much credit. Will they be crazy? Of course, they've had crazy poo poo going on since at least Ford vs. Reagan. Its going to be up to the open Democratic primary to push 2016 over the edge in craziness.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

The Obama hate will be so palpable it'll make you wonder what they'll do when he's gone

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

One of Clint Eastwood's conditions for making a speech at the DNC was that he didn't have to run it by Romney's campaign for approval beforehand. He just asked for an extra chair minutes before going on stage. One of Romney's advisers vomited backstage when he realized what Eastwood was doing.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

The Obama hate will be so palpable it'll make you wonder what they'll do when he's gone
If it's anything like the last set of off years, they'll spend an extraordinary amount of time talking about Minority Leader Pelosi, then spread the rest around a cast of characters including Harry Reid, DWS, etc. Reid's tougher because he's a plain-faced, straight talking white dude, so you have to learn to hate him, but put someone like Pelosi or DWS on a GOP direct mail piece and the money flows in. Hell, even I find DWS obnoxious and difficult to sit through (Pelosi just seems like any soulless politician to me, no different than Reid).

If Hillary ends up in office, she will, of course, be the apple of their collective eyes.

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

[Current Democratic President] is so divisive. Why can't we have someone who can work with Republicans, like [Previous Democratic President]?

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "

Chamale posted:

One of Romney's advisers vomited backstage when he realized what Eastwood was doing.

Top three 2012 moments, for me

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Fulchrum posted:

Does that mean, instead of 3 good debates, he'll cut together stuff to make a lovely one? Preceeded by Angela Anaconda for god knows what reason?

Followed by an AMV of Kids In America. I'd vote for him after that.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Chamale posted:

One of Romney's advisers vomited backstage when he realized what Eastwood was doing.

Stuart Stevens' book The Big Enchilada about his time cutting ads for the George W. 2000 campaign is pretty good if you enjoy campaign books.

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

ReindeerF posted:

If it's anything like the last set of off years, they'll spend an extraordinary amount of time talking about Minority Leader Pelosi, then spread the rest around a cast of characters including Harry Reid, DWS, etc. Reid's tougher because he's a plain-faced, straight talking white dude, so you have to learn to hate him, but put someone like Pelosi or DWS on a GOP direct mail piece and the money flows in. Hell, even I find DWS obnoxious and difficult to sit through (Pelosi just seems like any soulless politician to me, no different than Reid).

If Hillary ends up in office, she will, of course, be the apple of their collective eyes.

I had no idea who you meant by DWS until your last sentence, and then I figured it out, so I guess the feeling is mutual?

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

OneTwentySix posted:

I had no idea who you meant by DWS until your last sentence, and then I figured it out, so I guess the feeling is mutual?
Yeah, it's like an autonomic response for me. Like when you smell something dead on the side of the road and you get that gag reflex. I'm always surprised when people are like, "What's so annoying about her?" It's like asking what's so annoying about Gilbert Gottfried or Mary Matalin or something. If you don't see it, I guess it doesn't exist for you, but man it hits me like a wave.

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011

ReindeerF posted:

Yeah, it's like an autonomic response for me. Like when you smell something dead on the side of the road and you get that gag reflex. I'm always surprised when people are like, "What's so annoying about her?" It's like asking what's so annoying about Gilbert Gottfried or Mary Matalin or something. If you don't see it, I guess it doesn't exist for you, but man it hits me like a wave.

Who is DWS though, since I apparently dont see their issue and so cant connect them together?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Communist Zombie posted:

Who is DWS though, since I apparently dont see their issue and so cant connect them together?

Debbie Wasserman Schultz. Someone too annoying to work with for even the Republicans to make into a boogy-man.

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011

My Imaginary GF posted:

Debbie Wasserman Schultz. Someone too annoying to work with for even the Republicans to make into a boogy-man.

Ill take your word for it, I only vaguely remember her for chairing the DNC.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Communist Zombie posted:

A Representative with a name too long to write out who was also head of the DNC for this debacle and whose tenure at the DNC was particularly controversial. In fairness to her, it was an off-year election with a Democratic incumbent who has low approval is generally going to go this way - especially with such a directionless party leadership. She's merely a symptom of the problem with the Democratic Party, not the cause or anything.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

The new MOST LIBERAL SENATOR! has stepped to a plate, and it's a woman this time. The war never ends for the Old Boy's Club.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Gyges posted:

The new MOST LIBERAL SENATOR! has stepped to a plate, and it's a woman this time. The war never ends for the Old Boy's Club.

Let me get this talking point out there early: Hillary Clinton was for a bad deal with Iran before she was against a bad deal with Iran.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Debbie Wasserman Schultz is INSUFFERABLE holy poo poo. She must be good in other ways because when she popped up on the-TV I can't imagine more then 20% of people came away with a good impression. Everything from Florida is terrible.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

People do very very stupid things when they panic. And Hilary Clinton terrifies the GOP.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

pangstrom posted:

Debbie Wasserman Schultz is INSUFFERABLE holy poo poo. She must be good in other ways because when she popped up on the-TV I can't imagine more then 20% of people came away with a good impression. Everything from Florida is terrible.

Fundraising, I believe.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
I can't imagine she'll be around much longer. Kaine was out after 2010. Coaches get fired for less lovely seasons.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

comes along bort posted:

I can't imagine she'll be around much longer. Kaine was out after 2010. Coaches get fired for less lovely seasons.

Did Dean quit? His 50-state strategy worked pretty well, but that was pre-Citizens.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

FAUXTON posted:

Did Dean quit? His 50-state strategy worked pretty well, but that was pre-Citizens.

Probably wanted to move on after four years and not getting picked for Obama's cabinet. Begging for money full time seems like a bit of a thankless job, even for a politician.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
For me, nothing will top 2007's Values Voter Debate.

Why Should God Bless America?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X77R_prkCkg

And the most surreal debate clip of all time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zxtLccVnu0

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Maggie Haberman at The Politico says that her sources are telling her that Mark Penn is in talks with the Clintons :unsmigghh:

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Joementum posted:

Maggie Haberman at The Politico says that her sources are telling her that Mark Penn is in talks with the Clintons :unsmigghh:

Oh lord, not again.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Joementum posted:

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha :getin:

E:vvv blowing 8 figures to get the guys on ESPN to call the surface 3, a iPad knockoff is my favorite penn at Microsoft moment

Raskolnikov38 fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Nov 9, 2014

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

As much as I like terrible Dem campaigns, I'd hate to see Mark Penn being pulled away from his role in loving up all of Microsoft's consumer messaging.

But I sort of want to see him translate his "Scroogled" mantra into something that can lose a primary to Biden.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Joementum posted:

Preliminary congrats to president White Guy.

e: her source is loving Newsmax :laffo:

e2: no wait it's Al Hunt never mind resume depression

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Nov 9, 2014

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Joementum posted:

My Imaginary GF posted:

Let me get this talking point out there early: Hillary Clinton was for a bad deal with Iran before she was against a bad deal with Iran.

My Imaginary GF posted:

Whats the PoliSci literature say on buying your own coalition while already owning your own infrastructure?

My Imaginary GF posted:

Kill all optimism to better understand American politics.

quote:

In recent weeks, I've talked to several Washington politicos close to Bill and Hillary Clinton, and when I've asked if they will be joining Hillary's presidential machine, should she run, I've received a variant of this (understandably) not-for-citation reply: If Mark Penn is involved, no f-ing way.

The next 6 months will be pessimistic for Democratic party members.

My Imaginary GF fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Nov 9, 2014

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

comes along bort posted:

Preliminary congrats to president White Guy.

e: her source is loving Newsmax :laffo:

e2: no wait it's Al Hunt never mind resume depression

Just as 2012 was the year of "Anyone but Romney" for the Republicans, 2016 will be the year of "Anyone but Hillary" for the Democrats.

It will go just as badly for the Democrats as that went for Republicans. 52/47. Congratulations to President-elect Jeb Bush.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Just as 2012 was the year of "Anyone but Romney" for the Republicans, 2016 will be the year of "Anyone but Hillary" for the Democrats.

It will go just as badly for the Democrats as that went for Republicans. 52/47. Congratulations to President-elect Jeb Bush.

I'm ready to be one of the deluded people interviewed when Biden pulls ahead to take a single states primary before burning out. The straw hat, the pins, tears about how I have faith in America again, the whole works.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

I'm ready to be one of the deluded people interviewed when Biden pulls ahead to take a single states primary before burning out. The straw hat, the pins, tears about how I have faith in America again, the whole works.

Elizabeth Warren will be the new Chris Christie.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I had no idea Mark Penn was screwing things up for Microsoft, but that makes perfect sense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

FlamingLiberal posted:

I had no idea Mark Penn was screwing things up for Microsoft, but that makes perfect sense

Mark Penn is the ultimate fallguy for internal politics resulting from corporate culture.

• Locked thread