Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Cabinet level appointees are exempt from the Hatch Act.

Which makes me wonder, does Sebelius have any ambitions? She left a good job as Governor to work for Obama after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Willa Rogers posted:

The DREAM executive order is due to expire in 2014, I believe, which will conveniently coincide with the midterms.

He shoulda done that in 2010...

Someone mentioned Villaraigosa earlier. He seems like an alright mayor, I voted for him when I still lived in Los Angeles and I think it was the right choice. But his messy divorce is going to hold him back; presidential candidates need to be squeaky clean in that regard. He may advance to Governor or a cabinet position at some point, but I doubt he'll run for president.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Spaceman Future! posted:

The base will forget about it over the next few years... until its brought right back up again in the primaries where everyone tries to label Christie as a liberal shill RINO. Unless there is a huge pivot by the GOP and the Fox news messaging machine becomes a lot more leftist then he is hosed.

As long as Ailes is willing to forgive and forget (he really wanted Christie to run in '012) he won't get any flak from the media machine. His opponents may dredge it up on the fringier sites, but if Fox is backing him, it won't get any traction.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

ufarn posted:

Is there any wisdom at all about choice of VP candidates? Maybe we should just throw that out the window, if the DNC apply their sabremetrics to choosing the optimal VP candidate.

Is it commonly held that Biden was chosen, because he provided a foreign policy profile for Obama, or what made the deal?

I can see the OFA team crunching the numbers to present Hillary in 2016: Ma'am, the crucial stats are unforced gaffes and Bills Passed per Term (BPT). Gillebrand has 1.3 and 6.7, whereas Feingold only has 0.8 and 5.3 But he's been out of practice for a while. Your call...

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Brigadier Sockface posted:

Yes. In 2004 senator-elect Obama was an experienced politician who had won elections before and had a rather excited national following.

Even before he was elected, even before his opponent flamed out, people were saying he was going places. Sure, people are saying the same thing about this George P. Bush, Castro, Booker, and more, but as of now it seems like people are just saying that in hopes that it will be true, rather than the other way around.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Zikan posted:

As there even been a candidate who has consented to playing second fiddle twice in a row? It seem a little unlikely.

As someone earlier in the thread said, there are 70 people who wake up an see a future President and all of their names begin with Senator. It would be Biden's last chance so he's probably going to go at it full throttle if he decides to run again.

John C. Calhoun was JQ Adam's VP and Jackson's VP. He was also kind of a terrible person, but that's probably a coincidence.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Nuclearmonkee posted:

First dude is enough. He needs to the cookie contest and all of the other stupid homemaker first lady traditions too. :3:

Hopefully he saved all his stuff from 2008.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Jawidar posted:

The economy will have rebounded significantly in four years; Romney's "12 million new jobs" promise was based on estimates of what will happen if nobody does anything to promote growth.

I think it's Hillary's if she wants it. To be honest, I grew to dislike her intensely during the later phase of her 2008 campaign, but have warmed to her since seeing her in action on the world stage. Biden could probably put up a fight, but I can't see Cuomo, Patrick, Schweitzer et al having a sniff.

If it is Hillary, is it safe to call VP for someone like Patrick, Booker or Castro (Julian)? Inspiring dudes who help out demographically and would have a shot in 2020?

Do you think Hillary would be content with just one term, or do you mean 2024? Because if Hillary runs and wins, that means no Democrats gets a chance in 2020. And if she loses, the VP has to wipe that loser brand off pretty quickly.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Jawidar posted:

I meant in the event that she loses, but thinking about it I could see her being a one-term President even if she won: she'd be 77 by the end of her second term - not prohibitively old in this day and age, but as old as Reagan was at the end of his. I disagree that VP candidates inevitably are inevitably tainted as a loser, though the bad ones definitely are (e.g. Palin) ;)

The statistic that gets tossed around is that the only losing VP candidate to successfully run for president was FDR. Although, part of the issue is that using the VP slot to let a lower level politician gain exp is a newer one. Primarily they were used to gain support from other regions/factions of the nation/party, and would be about the same age as the president.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

watt par posted:

Huckabee's been done for years. He makes way too much money jamming with the Nuge and Def Leppard once a week to bother with politics again.

Yeah, 2012 was his year and he sat it out. In 2016 he'll just be 10-years out of governorship, with only a fading memory of what he did as governor.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Highspeeddub posted:

I don't. The Kennedy family however has a good track record of being tabloid fodder. I don't see anyone from that family looming on the horizon for political aspirations and seem content living off the family trust.

Second term presidents are prone to some sort of scandal or gently caress up that the other party decides needs lots of hearings and investigations; not so much to discredit the lame duck in the White House but any future candidate from their party who has aspirations of running. The Republicans jumped the gun with Benghazi and it's going to be harder for them later on when and if something Obama does is a legitimate reason to hold election damaging hearings to make sure no one can ride his coattails into the White House in 2017.

If Obama hasn't had a terrible scandal so far, it seems unlikely that he's going to gently caress up majorly enough to give the Republicans in Congress something legitimate to deal with. I mean, the biggest scandal so far has been Fast and Furious, and there's enough blame sauce to spread around that other than Darrel Issa, nobody wants to jump in.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Joementum posted:

The 2016 RNC will be in Cincinnati, Cleveland, Dallas, Denver, Kansas City, or Las Vegas.

Wrap it up, Columbus and Phoenix!

Cowards! Running away from Poseidon's wrath like a bunch of Corinthians. They should hold it in Houston or Miami and dare the hurricanes to come.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Kaal posted:

Kitzhaber is a fairly good governor, and he has a lot of experience since this is his third non-consecutive term. At first he had a reputation for being something of a liberal firebrand, but that got beaten out of him after several fights with out of state conservatives. Since regaining the governorship, Kitzhaber has become more focused on coalition-building (and too conciliatory, in my opinion) and has built a lot of ties with the Oregon business community. Still, he's proven to be a fairly effective governor of a state that is more purple than blue. That said, Oregon is a small state with relatively little money and few electoral votes, and Kitzhaber has little national presence or party connections.

Also Cover Oregon was a huge mess, and no matter how many consultants you throw under the bus, having one of your signature policy initiatives crash and burn looks bad in any campaign.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

duz posted:

He released only the most recent one and it exactly matched his arbitrary threshold of 15%. Presumably it was only that one so that he could then file an adjustment later and get it back down as people noticed he had missed some obvious deductions.

Probably something juicy in the 2008-2010 years.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

ProperGanderPusher posted:

His overall conduct in 2012 convinced me that he's probably lost his touch. That, or simply made him realize he needed to revise his strategy. It didn't help that there's not a ton of mud you can sling at Obama compared to Kerry. Even Hillary won't be easy outside of the whole Benghazi thing, which I doubt has much potential to evolve into a Swiftboat-level sticking point.

Didn't he make out like a bandit from all the American Crossroads money? Hundred million spent with little to no oversight. That sounds like he knew what he was doing, at least.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Ninjasaurus posted:

I stopped paying attention to him after he theorized during the extended Obama vs. Hillary 08 primary that the "party elders" would instead select Al Gore to run again at the Democratic National Convention.

Isn't he the guy that wrote a novel about "totally not Clinton, honest" being a pedophile? Don't imagine he has many friends amongst the Clinton machine these days.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Dystram posted:

Yeah, I mean I just don't get the response or the overall tone.

People like candor and empathy; at least fake it. A compassionate conservative who doesn't go too far right in the primaries will crush her.

Therein lies the rub. A compassionate conservative who doesn't go too far right in the primaries will never leave them.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Chantilly Say posted:

In a weird way I've kind of been waiting for us to get to the point where we just say "Global warming is real, but doing something about it would be hard, and we've decided we're not going to do that. What a shame."

As I recall, that was explicitly Huntsman's position.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

TheBalor posted:

There was mention of the automation apocalypse already happening, but we're experience a rebirth of those fears with the growth of some very sophisticated software that allows us to automate tasks that previously no one would even dream of making machine only. The retail food sector could probably already be automated, but attempts to do that so far have resulted in putting off customers.

We could probably automate a lot of higher-earning jobs as well. Managers replaced with drinky-birds, Congress could be replaced with a broken clock (and probably have better results, too). Pass those savings on to the consumer. Or our corporate masters; whatever works.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

zeal posted:

well good for you, now he's running incessant footraces through the city and demanding prima noctis rights with every new bride. Enkidu 2016: A beastman we can believe in.

I can't believe he wasted all that money on Gilgacare and in the end it got eaten by a snake. Or a private contractor. Depending on the version you believe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Wyden D-OR isn't losing. Don't know enough about WA to judge that race, but the Republicans haven't come as close to winning a state-wide race since Gregoire's first election.

• Locked thread