Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Ragingsheep posted:

As an Australian who has an interest in US politics, what's the big appeal of Hillary?

Access to the entire big money Democratic donor base.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Nothus posted:

I think Christie is the odds-on favorite for the GOP at this point. I doubt the big money behind the party is going to let the tea party crowd turn the primaries into a shitshow again and let some unelectable clown like Rand Paul or Santorum through.

Depends. There's plenty of true believers with cash to spare who can fund another Santorum through the primaries. Christie's about the only plausible establishment pick they can push through without having to outspend the loonies 20:1 like they did with Romney, but even still he'd have to lock up a significant cash source just to get the nomination.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Buffer posted:

Can somebody explain the appeal of Gillibrand to me? I know very little about her as come on, the election just happened and I'm not a NY resident, but what I do know throws up two enormous red flags:
1. She's a New York democrat with fundraising chops, see also: Schumer, Chuck
2. She was a blue dog. Officially.

You said it- Can get money. Democrat, but not too Democrat.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Buffer posted:

So what democrats really want in their heart of hearts is a socially liberal vintage 1990s republican?

Well gently caress, Romney should change parties brush off his 1994-era self and give it a shot then.

Democrats the voters? Not so much. Democrats the party? Definitely.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
If Clinton were to run the party would largely step aside similar to how all the "serious" candidates got out of Romney's way this year.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

waffle posted:

I think you're probably right for Clinton, but I don't know why any serious candidates would have done that for Romney, since he wasn't exactly a terribyl respected candidate. More likely that the big Republican names were too new to really want to run for President this year.

He got the money locked up early on, hence why he was able to outspend Gingrich and Santorum up to 20:1 in Florida and elsewhere when it looked like they had an outside chance. The smart ones saw that Romney did his homework between 2008-11 to secure the Uncle Pennybags support. The other side of that was the smart ones knew Obama still had a half-decent chance at re-election. Romney was a burner candidate.

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Nov 10, 2012

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Joementum posted:

There was a former Secretary of Defense on the ticket as Vice President recently and he was put there exactly because he added foreign policy experience that the top of the ticket lacked.

Well that and he basically gave himself the job.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

SombreroAgnew posted:

I fully expect the cycle of "WILL CONDI RUN?! (Probably yes!!!)" followed by "Rice Denies any Interest in Running" to continue every single election cycle until approximately 12 years after her death.

Side issue, and it's only come up a couple times regarding Nate Silver, but one effect of this election I wish had come to fruition is that everyone finally realized that beltway punditry is comprised of nothing but the ravings of half-literate paint chip eaters, which we can safely ignore as even less meaningful than astrology and haruspices.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
He's the smart one.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Huckabee's been done for years. He makes way too much money jamming with the Nuge and Def Leppard once a week to bother with politics again.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

ManifunkDestiny posted:

Saying "there are multiple sources of authority on that particular topic" is a pretty good median ground and solid answer.

Well yeah, if you're an idiot and/or trying to win the votes of idiots.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

ManifunkDestiny posted:

and one theology class to disprove the other

That's not how theology as an academic discipline works.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

ufarn posted:

I can't wait to see who will manage the campaign. Ron Paul's was truly something to be hold. Just the theme song alone. :psyduck:

Can't remember the lyrics to it, though.

Was it this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjhtCgWrdpU

Cuz that song is the best. Those harmonies are tight as gently caress.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Getting baited five minutes into his first non-Fox News interview into saying the Civil Rights Act was unconstitutional is up on the greatest hits list as well.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

SedanChair posted:

Food insecurity and nutrition education are related issues in a sense, but I think they should be kept separate. It strikes me as a little paternalistic when you're talking about people who need help to eat saying "and you should eat better while you're at it." Michelle Obama doesn't try to get white bread taken off of EBT or something; that would be seen, correctly, as really condescending and it would distract from the issue of healthy eating.

A lot of health and social services departments in rural areas offer nutrition classes for WIC recipients to both help them stretch their dollar further and get them and their kids eating better. Someone's got to step in and fix generations of poor nutrition education, paternalistic or not.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
That'll come back to bite him in the rear end during the primaries. Looking forward to the CNN debate's holo-audience holo-booing non-geocentric models of the solar system.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

greatn posted:

Why is not putting up with people's poo poo a positive attribute? If anyone should have to put up with people's poo poo it's our elected leaders.

It's New Jersey, it's honestly surprising they hadn't already elected Bobby Bacala before.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Neremworld posted:

I remember him screaming at people and calling them idiots for not evacuating. While they were idiots, that's a thing that'll get played as unpresidential (as it is).

The worst was him going on a tear about the mayor of Atlantic City during a pre-landfall press conference, calling the guy names and blaming him for any potential deaths. Absolutely childish and it made me worried since big hurricanes aren't a thing up there he'd get in the way of FEMA afterward and seriously put lives in danger because of his grandstanding and churlishness. Could you imagine how he'd handle a full-blown national emergency?

Really the best thing one can say he did with Sandy was request federal funds in a timely fashion and got out of the way so actual competent officials could do their jobs.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

hobbesmaster posted:

I wouldn't say it was childish, yelling "YOU ARE GOING TO loving DIE IF YOU STAY IN YOUR HOUSES ON A BARRIER ISLAND IN A MAJOR HURRICANE, DONT LISTEN TO YOUR FUCKTARD OF A MAYOR" seems pretty reasonable to me.

Telling people to ignore their mayor and heed mandatory evacuation orders is one thing, but calling the guy an idiot justified or not and spazzing out 48 hours before the storm has even hit is another. I've lived through plenty of hurricanes and both good and bad governors and I've never seen something so unprofessional and frankly dangerous. The governor is the last person who needs to be letting his emotions run rampant and having an on-air meltdown before an emergency of that magnitude.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

notthegoatseguy posted:

Yes, if Christie is cordinating disaster relief in the aftermath, he should be calm. Before, telling people don't be loving idiots and get out of dodge is 100% justified.

He did the exact opposite of that though. He mostly spent the time ranting about the mayor of AC, not stressing the importance of leaving.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Joementum posted:

They're also huge fundraisers for the party, so they're not going anywhere.

Also, fried butter on a stick.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

raito posted:

But, yes, to your larger point, I think Hillary opens the map up significantly more. It's also great because she does it without making other votes less excited, as someone like Brian Schweitzer would maybe do (who would open up the map A LOT, as a gun-toting Democrat from Montana - I think he'd be great VP for Hillary because of this).

His resemblance to Tom Arnold might prove problematic, assuming anyone remembers who he is by 2016.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Somebody obviously thinks he's got a serious shot at governor.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Prime Sinister posted:

This is true, but this happening again would probably require her to be caught off guard once again by a campaign as well-run as Obama's.

Or somehow be dumb enough to again hire people who aren't aware of individuals states' primary rules.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Lightning Knight posted:

Wow. I really need to read/see Game Change. That sounds spectacular.

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2008/02/inside-the-clinton-shake-up/306684/2/?single_page=true

There's a good enough overview written right at the turning point when her campaign was essentially over, though it continued on for a couple more months. No need to torture yourself reading the inane drivel that Mark Halperin and John Heilemann traffic in.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Just as I thought. Welp, better luck next time on the hit piece, Grey Lady. One would think whoever Booker's got all het up had a little more money to blow on better oppo research.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Young Master Tugboat Romney seems a little too emotionally invested in the old man's campaign. Did he think he'd be made ambassador to East Wealthistan or something? They sound like the kind of family that always eats dinner at the dining room table no matter what.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

ufarn posted:

NBC News reporting that Sen. Lautenberg (D-NJ) won't run for 2014 (at age NINETY).

This should be obvious to anyone but Lautenberg and Booker haters.

Lautenberg's office denied it last night.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Houston Euler posted:

I'm not sure how she could ever return to politics. She has trouble with verbal communication.

That hasn't stopped anyone in Congress before.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
One would think the number of countries that have elected female heads of government/state so far would dispel that notion. A couple in the third world even.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

ReidRansom posted:

Pretty sure it's just a weak troll, but yeah, plenty in the third world and in countries that he probably (or is pretending to) thinks would never take a woman politician seriously.

If anything we're way behind the times on that front. Controversial opinion I know.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Cheekio posted:

I almost agreed with you but my testosterone was too high for such a non-utilitarian post.

Just you watch; we elect our first vagino-american president and the first time she has to deal with Iran Ahmadinejad will throw a few negs and a DHV spike and next thing you know she'll be handing over the nuclear launch codes to the ayatollah.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Mods please embed this track in this thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJZRqPiGkTg

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

SerSpook posted:

Do you remember the PUMAs of 2008?

Was there anything to that beyond James "Cajun Style" Carville wearing colorful sneakers on newschat shows?

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Hey gently caress you man that dog was cold and apparently the entire city of Newark is so far up its own rear end they can't pick up a drat animal. Seriously though, what a bunch of twats.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

The Entire Universe posted:

You act as though "twat" isn't the de facto demonym for residents of New Jersey.

Then she said "Kiss me where it smells funny" and I said, "You want me to take you to New Jersey at this hour?"

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

R.A. Dickey posted:

I doubt it. It's possible im underestimating his ability as a campaigner but I have real doubts of him ever be viable on the national stage. Combined with his ludicrous reputation as the smart guy in the room I'd put money on him banking a few million dollars running some policy institute/think tank in five years or so.

It usually takes about 15-20 years in Congress before one gets on the track to become House Speaker. He ain't gonna stick around that long.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Delivering the SOTU response is the political equivalent of winning the Best New Artist Grammy.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

mcmagic posted:

Rubio is on a different level from those guys in speaking skills and ability to look reasonable while pushing batshit policies.

Maybe when reading from prepared remarks, but in live situations like say Senate hearings so far he's been fairly lackluster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

mcmagic posted:

He also showed extraordinary political cowardice in the New York Legislature debacle after the election. I'm not sure exactly, other than third way morons, where his constituency is.

Well good thing for him that's who picks the nominee.

• Locked thread