Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
agarjogger
May 16, 2011

Syjefroi posted:

Huckabee will never be President. He doesn't want to be, for one thing, because he's making a killing on the sidelines commentating and writing books. And while he may lock up the white religious vote, 2012 was a clear indicator that that group is shrinking... however, Huckabee is somehow further right than Romney on social issues so not only does he basically get the same number of white votes that Romney got (or less, as demographics shift), he also loses more independents disgusted by his social views.

Can we set one thing straight? The only reason, ever, that some rich guy wouldn't want to be president is if he was reasonably certain he would do a poo poo job and make an international rear end of himself for all eternity. What is this poo poo I keep hearing about how being a right-wing author or real-estate speculator is a more prestigious gig than being president of the loving U.S.A.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

agarjogger posted:

Can we set one thing straight? The only reason, ever, that some rich guy wouldn't want to be president is if he was reasonably certain he would do a poo poo job and make an international rear end of himself for all eternity. What is this poo poo I keep hearing about how being a right-wing author or real-estate speculator is a more prestigious gig than being president of the loving U.S.A.

More prestigious? No, probably more due to that being POTUS can simply be a really intense and thankless job despite the obvious benefits.

Why stress it and put yourself at risk when you can live comfortably and well on the sidelines right where you are at now?

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Huckabee wasn't really one of the wasn't-runs of 2012. There were some wasn't-runs in 2012 who did seriously consider it and even considered it enough to head to Iowa or talk to beltway media and stuff like that. Huckabee just responded to mindless media speculation with a "well maybe I will....watch my show and find out!!!"

This doesn't mean Huckabee should be ruled out. But I didn't see him take any serious steps to running in 2012, or even pretended like he might consider running.

Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007
Someone isn't popular.

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.

TheRamblingSoul posted:

More prestigious? No, probably more due to that being POTUS can simply be a really intense and thankless job despite the obvious benefits.

Why stress it and put yourself at risk when you can live comfortably and well on the sidelines right where you are at now?

George W. Bush thought the exact same thing.

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005
THE ONLY THING BETTER THAN THE SEAHAWKS IS RUSSELL WILSON'S TAINT SWEAT

Seahawks #1 fan since 2014.

Brigadier Sockface posted:

Someone isn't popular.

I didn't think his performance was THAT bad...

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Uncle Joe is at it again:

Washington Post posted:

“If you’re not an Easterner it’s hard to understand that the ocean to us is the Grand Canyon, Yellowstone Park and everything else combined. It is a gigantic part of not only our economy but who we are. It’s a gigantic part of the culture as well.
“And every time the rest of the country is in real trouble, New Jersey and Delaware and New York and Connecticut, et cetera, we respond, we respond. And it’s going to be a heavy lift. These are difficult times in terms of budgets but the president has made it clear that we are going to do everything we can to make sure that the Corps is fully funded, that FEMA has their needs and that all the programs that exist under the auspices of the federal government not only continue to exist but are funded so that we can make sure that this area of the country is fully fully fully restored.
“So as the president said when he was up here with the governor, we’re not going anywhere. We’re not going anywhere. And you’ve got a homeboy in the deal who gets it.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...s_election-2012

Mitchicon
Nov 3, 2006

Can we please make this man president in 2016? I just want to see him slap Putin on the back and chuckle.

ACatch22
Sep 23, 2012

"Major Major never sees anyone in his office while he's in his office."
Is it likely that Bo Biden will ever have a presidential run? If not 2016 then later?

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005

ACatch22 posted:

Is it likely that Bo Biden will ever have a presidential run? If not 2016 then later?
It's unlikely that he'll run in '16 due to age, and if he does run it's looking like the Democratic field will be pretty drat competitive. If he doesn't get the nomination in '16, then it'll probably never happen. But you never know.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Mitchicon posted:

Can we please make this man president in 2016? I just want to see him slap Putin on the back and chuckle.

Only if it's after he tells Putin The Aristocrats joke.

Mitchicon
Nov 3, 2006

A Winner is Jew posted:

Only if it's after he tells Putin The Aristocrats joke.

That's his acceptance speech.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Mitchicon posted:

That's his acceptance speech.

I want a president that does this. I don't care if he resigns the next day, it'd be worth it.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
GQ asked Marco Rubio some questions. Here are my favorites.

quote:

GQ: How old do you think the Earth is?
Marco Rubio: I'm not a scientist, man. I can tell you what recorded history says, I can tell you what the Bible says, but I think that's a dispute amongst theologians and I think it has nothing to do with the gross domestic product or economic growth of the United States. I think the age of the universe has zero to do with how our economy is going to grow. I'm not a scientist. I don't think I'm qualified to answer a question like that. At the end of the day, I think there are multiple theories out there on how the universe was created and I think this is a country where people should have the opportunity to teach them all. I think parents should be able to teach their kids what their faith says, what science says. Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries.

GQ: Your three favorite rap songs?
Marco Rubio: "Straight Outta Compton" by N.W.A. "Killuminati" by Tupac. Eminem's "Lose Yourself."

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

I'm glad that saying "I'm actually retarded and don't understand how to empirically determine an answer to a question by using evidence" is an acceptable answer for conservatives.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

Marco Rubio posted:

The only guy that speaks at any sort of depth is, in my mind, Eminem.
Presidential material right there folks.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
It is worth pointing out that 68% of Iowa Republican caucus voters believe the Earth was created in six days.

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005

Sylink posted:

I'm glad that saying "I'm actually retarded and don't understand how to empirically determine an answer to a question by using evidence" is an acceptable answer for conservatives.

Saying "there are multiple sources of authority on that particular topic" is a pretty good median ground and solid answer.

e: also, in that above poll, a plurality of respondents don't think or are unsure that Genesis and science are in conflict with one another

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

ManifunkDestiny posted:

Saying "there are multiple sources of authority on that particular topic" is a pretty good median ground and solid answer.

Well yeah, if you're an idiot and/or trying to win the votes of idiots.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

ManifunkDestiny posted:

e: also, in that above poll, a plurality of respondents don't think or are unsure that Genesis and science are in conflict with one another

It literally takes one college level geology class to disprove creationism and young earth theory.

One loving geology class.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

ManifunkDestiny posted:

That Gusano is going no where fast and also :lol: at the thought of a Cuban President before awesome-superior Mejicanos win the White House.

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005

A Winner is Jew posted:

It literally takes one college level geology class to disprove creationism and young earth theory.

and one theology class to disprove the other

e: don't take this post as advocacy of the stance

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

ManifunkDestiny posted:

e: don't take this post as advocacy of the stance
I don't think theology programs are that fundamentally stupid, don't lie.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

ManifunkDestiny posted:

That's not how theology as an academic discipline works.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

Bryter posted:

Presidential material right there folks.

e: Oops, never mind.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Kinda disappointed Rubio's answer didn't include C.R.E.A.M. by Wu Tang. Super-PAC dolla dolla bill ya'll.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

BGrifter posted:

Kinda disappointed Rubio's answer didn't include C.R.E.A.M. by Wu Tang. Super-PAC dolla dolla bill ya'll.

Or a certain song invoking the mystery of magnetism. That's what went through my head reading his answer.

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The great science sausage party!

Sylink posted:

That question has never been about what people literally think is true. It has always been about what cultural forces they are aligned with.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Vienna Circlejerk posted:

That question has never been about what people literally think is true. It has always been about what cultural forces they are aligned with.

It's basically a religious dogwhistle.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Vienna Circlejerk posted:

Its great because he dodged the question by giving an answer to a completely different one.

The Apollo missions happened people and they confirmed the age of the earth. He could have given a simple answer to make it a non-issue but instead decided to prattle on to please the old grandma in oklahoma reading that article.

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The great science sausage party!

Sylink posted:

Its great because he dodged the question by giving an answer to a completely different one.

No, he answered the question by putting a lampshade on the implicit question and answering that. The question really had nothing to do with the age of the earth.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009

Sylink posted:

The Apollo missions happened people and they confirmed the age of the earth. He could have given a simple answer to make it a non-issue but instead decided to prattle on to please the old grandma in oklahoma reading that article.

Well that's kink of Rubio's thing. Real smooth talker.

ACatch22
Sep 23, 2012

"Major Major never sees anyone in his office while he's in his office."
So I asked this question earlier, but it was answered as if I said Joe not Bo. I was wondering if BO Biden will think about running in the near future, Joe's son that's been in the military.

edit: And apparently it's spelled Beau, not Bo.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
And actually, his real name is Joe Biden. "Beau" is a nickname given to distinguish him from his father.

He'll probably run for Governor or Senator next time there's an opportunity. 2016 would be too soon for a national campaign, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him try later.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I don't know of many candidates who've run on their experience as Attorney General of a state. Not that that is a bad or a do-nothing position. In most states it probably is an elected position. But they're low profile races that are essentially appointing administrators of a major state function, and the only reason anyone knows who he is is because he's sometimes on TV and he is the son of Joe. At least Governors can use their position to say "Look at how well my state has done, and what I can do if my policies are applied to the nation"

ufarn
May 30, 2009

notthegoatseguy posted:

I don't know of many candidates who've run on their experience as Attorney General of a state. Not that that is a bad or a do-nothing position. In most states it probably is an elected position. But they're low profile races that are essentially appointing administrators of a major state function, and the only reason anyone knows who he is is because he's sometimes on TV and he is the son of Joe. At least Governors can use their position to say "Look at how well my state has done, and what I can do if my policies are applied to the nation"
I think Spitzer's record as AG would have made him incredibly likely to be nominated, were it not for his gently caress-ups as governor.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

ufarn posted:

I think Spitzer's record as AG would have made him incredibly likely to be nominated, were it not for his gently caress-ups as governor.

I can't think of another half-credible national guy that I would hit the streets for. If we see another financial disaster this term, and the conservatives' answer is for Caliph Santorum to take us back to the Roman Denarius and daughter-trading, Spitzer would have an excellent shot no matter what the hell our low-functioning autistic media says about anything. All the bullshit fake-moralizing is on the right, Democrats just want their officials to do a good job so they can leave things the hell alone between elections.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

agarjogger posted:

I can't think of another half-credible national guy that I would hit the streets for. If we see another financial disaster this term, and the conservatives' answer is for Caliph Santorum to take us back to the Roman Denarius and daughter-trading, Spitzer would have an excellent shot no matter what the hell our low-functioning autistic media says about anything. All the bullshit fake-moralizing is on the right, Democrats just want their officials to do a good job so they can leave things the hell alone between elections.
Well, now's probably as good as time as any, seeing that there's an increasing ennui due to the treatment of Petraeus's personal life and the ramifications of it.

Maybe he could put himself forward as a replacement for Cuomo, if he runs. Even Anthony Weiner - who's hosed up to a much higher degree than Spitzer - seems to be trying to revitalize his career.

But hey, it's hard to know where our predictions and political fan fiction begin and end.

As I understand, though, Spitzer was pretty poo poo at negotiating as governor, and I'm sure Republicans aren't better to work with since his tenure. But anything but Cuomo seems acceptable.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

A Winner is Jew posted:

You definitely don't need to even be in college. A field trip to the natural history museum during elementary school should suffice for anyone that doesn't have the burden of ultra-religious parents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

notthegoatseguy posted:

I've heard Kamala Harris mentioned by some people as a possible nominee. She doesn't seem too bad to me but she would face a lot of problems with name recognition among non-Californians and people who didn't pay attention to the settlement last year.

• Locked thread