Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

Alter Ego posted:

I'd argue that it wouldn't apply to just Democrats. ANY politician worth their salt should be looking at the Obama model if they want to win a Presidential election.

One qualification I'd have with this, while agreeing that any candidate that completely ignores the Obama model is acting foolishly, is that we don't know yet if the Obama model needs an Obama in it to work. In other words, I don't think it's yet clear whether a candidate who doesn't have the same/similar personal charisma and campaigning skills of the Big O himself would be able to use the same model as successfully, or indeed at all. This is parallel to what Joementum said about not yet knowing whether the Obama coalition will persist, or is too Obama-centric to continue to function in 2014/16.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Emden posted:

Why is it so vital that Chris Christie not be fat?

Because apparently every single thread these days has to derail into weight/image issues.

Serious answer: while certainly not the only factor, appearance does matter for public features seeking to appeal to a large electorate. Among those who's votes he needs, there are enough who consider weight an issue that he would be well served to hit the treadmill and get a better diet. That's not to say that all reasons why someone might not vote for an overweight man are equal, or indeed necessarily even legitimate, but they do exist and, unlike say issues of race or gender, are ones he could, conceivably, do something about. Also seriously, dude's headed for cardiac arrest sooner or later if he doesn't get into better shape.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

MoraleHazard posted:

Speaking as someone who's politics lean right I don't really see a strong candidate in the Republican party at the moment; though I won't rule out Rand Paul (provided he's not as cuckoo as dad). Rubio, perhaps, but I'm skeptical unless the GOP ditches the anti-hispanic rhetoric. I don't see any right-wingers getting excited over another Bush and people like Huckabee and Santorum only appeal to a small subset and that's folks who's religious and social priorities are paramount.

Rubio as candidate would indicate that the GOP had decided to go with tokenism rather than actually doing anything about the party's significant and well-deserved problems with Hispanics. He's the poster boy for "but we've got one too, why aren't you loving people voting for us?"

This of course presumes the GOP hasn't found a to square the circle of finding a way to genuinely appeal to minorities without alienating the party's base, which I continue to maintain is their existential, and likely unsolvable, dilemma of the moment.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

point of return posted:

Didn't Hillary's 2008 campaign people(like Mark Penn) not actually know how delegates were apportioned?

Penn has been quoted by others as thinking that Democratic primaries are winner-take-all rather than proportional, though he himself denies having said it.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Joementum posted:

It's not out of the question. Ryan shored up the Romney campaign with the social conservatives who were doubting it in the summer and also with the conservative punditocracy. He's loved by everyone from the Breitbart crew to David Brooks and that counts for a lot on the right. Ryan's future will depend a lot on whether he can maintain that status during the coming budget negotiations in the next year, since he's the House Budget chairman again.

I hope he does run because I think he'll be really interesting to watch in the half million debates they'll hold.

Ever since his budget proposal I've viewed Ryan as a mostly-empty suit who doesn't nearly deserve the praise he's given for being a Serious Policy Guy TM and that he was kept well away from the lime lights during the campaign has only reinforced that suspicion. If anything, I'd like to think that both the GOP primary and subsequent disaster that was Romney's general run would have convinced the party that they need someone with at least some substance*, and it will be interesting to see if Ryan's actually got any sand in the coming session.

*Ahahahahaha no of course not, they haven't learned a goddamn thing

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

The Warszawa posted:

So, the overarching lesson of the 20th century racial rights struggle is that "you cannot trust white liberals to have your back when the poo poo gets tough, you have to constantly put pressure on them through minority-led movements or you have to get your own people in."

Phil Ochs's wisdom proves timeless, yet again

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Krinkle posted:

What makes Jindal establishment? How do you perform exorcisms and get to be the establishment?

Because even with that he still manages to be utterly boring.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Dreylad posted:

What are the chances the Democrats go full Citizens United like the Republicans did and have 2500 debates before primary season? And have candidates who have no real chance of winning stay in the fight long after they should have withdrawn?

I'd rate it as very unlikely if Hillary is in the running, and just pretty unlikely otherwise. It suspect we're not going to see such a uniquely dysfunctional field of also-rans, lunatics, and Mitt Romney, again any time soon. Even if the Democrats had equivalents of Sky Admiral Bachmann et al waiting, I'd like to think they'd also seen just how poorly served was the GOP's eventual nominee by such a throw-down drag-out primary.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Houston Euler posted:

I'm not sure how she could ever return to politics. She has trouble with verbal communication.

I seem to have forgotten remind me, who exactly was the chief executive between Clinton and Obama?

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Houston Euler posted:

There's "is our children learning", and there's having trouble uttering complete sentences on a permanent basis.

Are you claiming Bush II didn't have trouble uttering complete sentences on a permanent basis? Because I've seen some pretty compelling evidence to the contrary.

Seriously I get your point but I'll be dead in the cold, cold earth before I miss a chance to savage the capacities of that profoundly moronic boy prince.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

monoceros4 posted:

That reminds me: many years ago I remember coming across some before-after footage put together for Bush Jr., purporting to show that his verbal fluency had deteriorated markedly since he was Governor. I'm sure the clips shown were picked for best effect but the difference was pretty striking. (I like to think they probably needed to have Bush tranq'ed to the point of ataxia for public appearances sometimes.)

I too remember seeing something like this, put forward to advance the argument that Bush wasn't entirely the subliterate cretin he appeared to be but rather intentionally played down his own abilities to not seem over-educated (or put more bluntly, not like the northeastern blueblood he actually is). As to the clip itself, I too don't remember enough to be able to locate it now.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Trast posted:

And then various republicans rush to Fox News to say Clinton was deranged and faking her grief over the deaths of people she'd worked with personally.

I'm waiting to see if any right-wing commentators or interviewees describe her as "hysterical." That'd be the best/worst.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

greatn posted:

Why? No one except the extremely informed gives a gently caress about fracking. If you're going to preemptively attack Cuomo do it on an issue Iowans actually care about.

Nationally it might only have limited appeal, but I've been hearing about the issue pretty much non-stop since moving to Albany three years ago; up here, as well as in PA, fracking is very much A Thing people care about.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

withak posted:

Pausing for a drink of water during a speech is fine. The problem here was a combination of there not being a glass of water within reach during a high-profile speech being broadcasted on national TV and the speaker apparently thinking that he could quickly slip off and grab a drink between sentences without the audience noticing. Amateur hour all around.

Also the delivery of the speech was bad independent of the production values. And the content of the speech was also bad.

A couple of years ago we had Professor Timothy Snyder up at the university I work at giving a talk in support of his then-newly released book Bloodlands: Europe between Hitler and Stalin (which is excellent and I recommend to all). In addition to the interesting things he said about the subject to hand, he also gave us all some valuable advice and that is this: Yale has never hired anyone that drank from a bottle during their interview, as they view that as infantile; always ask for a glass.

Good advice, wouldn't you say Senator? :smug:

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Joementum posted:

Chait also highlights a line from the article that I missed: Gingrich actually gave Santorum a history lecture on why he should be on the top of the ticket.

I will never get tired of Newt.

That's lucky, since it seems vanishingly unlikely that we'll see the last of him anytime soon.

But seriously, the 2012 GOP primary season continues to amaze with continuing revelations of hilariously poorly-thought-out ideas and actions. How those idiots ever thought they had a chance eludes me.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Guys, it's career idiot provocateur and shitposter vilepilot you're replying to.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

muscles like this? posted:

Speaking of Rand Paul, he's putting some time in Iowa tomorrow appearing on a public radio program.

Public radio? Prepare for the freep demographic to write him off as a total RINO (if they haven't already for some previous minor deviation, I lose track).

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Whelp, looks like we're all way off base, boys. Someone who totally deserves to weigh in on this and shouldn't be automatically laughed out of any room he inhabits knows how 2016 will play out:

quote:

Mitt Romney's top political strategist predicted Wednesday that former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton would not win the Democratic Party's 2016 presidential primary if she were to choose to run.

“Where to begin? I mean, she’s been around since the 70s. She’s pro-war. It took Rob Portman to get her to come out for gay marriage. The whole Supreme Court is trying to undo what the Clintons did with DOMA,” Stuart Stevens told the National Review. “If I were a Democratic hot-shot politician, I’d primary her so fast.”

Stevens added that President Obama's political infrastructure lacked "a great and abiding affection" for the former first lady, and said she could struggle against a Republican candidate decades younger than she is.

“It’s very rare you go back a generation," Stevens said.

In a Quinnipiac University poll released earlier this month, Clinton dominated the Democratic field, garnering the support of 65 percent of potential primary voters. The next closest candidate, Vice President Biden, earned 13 percent, with New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo rounding out the top three at 4 percent.

In a highly circulated op-ed piece written in February, Stevens argued Republicans would benefit in the coming election because of the age of their top presidential candidates.

"For 2016, the Democrats seem headed toward a fight between Hillary Clinton and Joe Biden. Both launched their careers in the 1970s; what will their slogan be, “Another Century of Service”?" Stevens wrote.

Why's that? Well, she's old. Old, you see. Did I mention she's old? Because she is. Old, that is. Old, old, old, the oldest old to old an old.

Furthermore, Stevens also thinks she'd be less appealing than the new generation of up-and-coming Republicans who are hip and fresh or whatever you kids say these days:

quote:

"On our side, we have Paul Ryan, Nikki Haley, Marco Rubio, Chris Christie, Jeb Bush, Susana Martinez and more. Who has the best opportunity to win that generational battle?"

:allears:

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

The Warszawa posted:

I mean, his conclusions are all wrong but:

Except for that last part about struggling, none of this is actually inaccurate. If the Supreme Court strikes down DOMA, anyone who wants to challenge Clinton from the left can use that, and while the talking heads and such seem to be falling over themselves about how awesome Hillary is, the race-baiting poo poo definitely didn't sit well with the people who get the people who actually keep the Democrats viable to turn out and it hasn't been forgotten, and if a primary contender shows some muscle I think there's definitely a race. Maybe that's just wishful thinking, though, because after that poo poo I don't want Clinton carrying the standard for the party.

Oh I don't disagree, but Stevens was basically just using that to preface the "she's stodgy, old, and out of touch, totally unlike the kickin' rad young Republicans!" lines that followed. I mean yeah he's correct that a challenger from the left would have actual ammo to use against Hillary, but barring another dark horse who exactly has the prominence within what's left of the Democratic left to make the attempt? I can't think of anyone (though in wistful-fantasyland there's a certain angry independent senator who comes to mind).

Similarly, the whole argument strikes me as more an attempt to sow the seeds of a bloody 2016 Democratic primary fight, hoping for the eventual nominee to come staggering out as battered as Mitt was this time around.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

FMguru posted:

Clinton/Gillibrand or Clinton/Warren would be hilarious

The levels of misogyny in the attack ads, both dogwhistle and blatant, would be staggering.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

hobbesmaster posted:

I hear someone is just biden his time.

Cuom on, he's not the only possibility.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Sir Tonk posted:

So it looks like Drudge has a new golden boy, he doesn't choose complimentary photos for just anyone.

I really can't see him running again, but maybe for Senator? I dunno, I'm hard pressed to find anyone that like Perry in Texas, but they certainly exist as he kept winning.

Can you imagine how great it would be to have Bolton, Gingrich, Christie, and Perry on the same stage?

I suspect that would result in this finally coming to pass.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

The Warszawa posted:

That last one is correct - Booth's heart was in the right place: in the path of a Union bullet in a burning barn in Virginia.

I remain unsurprised that Rand Paul is continuing his father's and his state's legacies of racist bullshit well past their sell-by date.

The apple doesn't fall far from the lynching tree.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Joementum posted:

He's running.

Rick Perry doesn't mis-speak, you just misunderstand.

"I firmly believe that red-blooded Americans will look deep into their hearts, examine my record, and proudly exclaim 'enh, we'd like someone a little bit better but I guess we'll settle for him if there's no one else.'"

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Livingtrope posted:

Has Rick Perry done anything to suggest that he isn't a buffoon?

Supposedly he's a very slick operator at the state level, despite the relative weakness of the Governorship in Texas compared to other states. In this argument, to the strength of which I can't attest as I don't know Texas politics beyond the very superficial level ("is generally horrible"), his main problem is he and his team have not, and perhaps can not, find a way to scale that to national campaigning. And also he was tripping balls on pain pills during that debate which surely didn't help.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

ReV VAdAUL posted:

Man. I looked up why Perry was on meds and it was for back surgery that used stem cells. Have evangelicals dropped their opposition to them or is he a massive hypocrite?

It was adult, not embryonic, stem cells they used (Perry's own, from what I read), so they can use that dodge. Failing that, "The only moral X is my X."

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Zwabu posted:

You could make the argument that the way Perry projects his political persona (whew), he comes perilously close to coming across as just as much of a whacko Puritan as Santorum.

Sure, but with Perry it's more obvious that he's an empty suit just playing to evangelical crazies, whereas Santorum's got the glassy-eyed thousand yard stare of a true believer.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Sir Tonk posted:

Rick Perry, Peter King, John Bolton, Rick Santorum, Ted Cruz, Newt Gingrich, Rand Paul, how could this possibly be better?

I know Rand is there, but I'm not sure he can provide exactly the same levels of political comedy as his father did, nor do I think his followers are as raving a pack of loonies as the original Paulsheviks. He'll need to ramp up the crazy pretty hard if he wants a chance to run with the big dogs.

I agree with Adar that, at early stage, Christie's the closest thing they've got to a plausibly electable candidate, with Perry running a distant second.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Joementum posted:

Adar is right to mention Christie, but Scott Walker is perhaps even more dangerous, and yes, he's running. And I believe America is just silly enough to gives the Bush family a third shot.

I have to wonder, though, if Jeb is willing to toss his hat in. He can probably make a play at being the only Serious Candidatetm in a room full of lightweights (insert Christie joke here) and loonies, but even with the incredible tendency of the American public towards selective amnesia I have to think he still has brand damage he'd have to overcome that might make running more trouble than it's worth.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

SombreroAgnew posted:

Yes, that works much better.

Say, what's the Huntster up to this time, anyway?

He still posts from time to time but he's been unusually quiet since (I think) reregging after the Mitt Romney tox thread banfest.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Joementum posted:

Oh dear God:

Bomb Cambodia? Sabotage the Paris peace talks? Well, on paper those things seem wrong, but who am I to question my instincts?

Does that bother you?...I just want you to think big, Chris, for Christsakes.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Sir Tonk posted:

Who is giving money to Allen West? Palin supporters? At least with Palin you get some good comedy, but with West I don't see the appeal. I mean, he's certainly less electable than her.

Other Jack Bauer wannabes would be my guess, and also perhaps some tokenists.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Acrophyte posted:

Losing. Not just once. Repeatedly and embarrassingly.

David Brooks is a cipher that has turned defending immense wealth and privilege into a well-paid gig. If the big money ever fled the GOP, he'd follow.

Christie isn't the party uber alles kind of guy either. He's not going to stick around if you take away his future.

I agree, but conversely he's not going to jump ship without a pretty solid guarantee of a future elsewhere. The GOP being dead weight isn't enough if he judges his chances would be even worse (as it'd be hard to avoid being tarred a turncoat and difficult to woo constituencies that previously had been antagonistic) as a Dem or independent.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

This week on RP TV, our panel of experts debate the biggest issue of our time: Which is a greater threat to liberty, the FDA or the Civil Rights Act?

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Peace Gold Love, loving seriously? This is the moral vanguard of America. The dude who puts gold as critical as peace and love?

Has anyone checked if Paul is a literal dragon?

No, but he's also refused to take any tests that would rule out being a leprechaun, so we've got options.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

The Entire Universe posted:

Fat/Phlegm 2016.

Obnoxious/Incoherent 2016

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Kem Rixen posted:

Menino messed up player names all the time, but then again it was Menino, and he had trouble with names and words all the time.

Well, as far as we can tell he's messing them up. Not for nothing is his nickname "mumbles."

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Adar posted:

I'm just gonna say what I've said ITT for a year and will probably say for two more: A sitting veep who has spent eight years perpetually campaigning, has the organization of Candidate Obama fully behind him, and has been a key part of the most polarizing administration of the modern era is not a dog to "Skim Hillary" Cuomo.

I'd say this is the key element, and not necessarily one Biden is guaranteed to hold. While it's inarguable that Obama was one of the best presidential campaigners we've seen in decades and had a very slick and modern organization behind him, it's not yet been shown that that organization is one that will outlast his own presidency. In other words, the organization of Candidate Obama may not really exist except in rump form once Obama leaves office. Not to say that it's necessarily got a 2016 expiration date on it, but I'm not yet convinced it can or will transform from "fantastic organization to get Obama elected" into "equally fantastic organization to get some other Democrat elected."

EDIT: Arg, you edited in "yes, yes he will" while I was typing. I'm not so certain, myself.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Sir Tonk posted:

This would be a hilarious turn of events. The Dems mostly vote against and the GOP votes for him with enough Dems to confirm. (not hilarious in a good way)

Gallows humor is still humor, and we'd mostly all prefer laughing to crying. Uncontrollably. Until we pass out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Waterbed posted:

He's also got the highest chance of an R win, period. If the people putting in money can get him onto the big ticket without too much of a scuffle in the primaries, he could potentially flip NJ, and even if he's a loudmouth he's got the least disgusting policies while still being electable, which would win him a good chunk of moderate vote.

I mean like, IMO he'll be on the ticket if the people with money put winning over "who is the person that screws over the poors the most" since he has the highest shot, he just will have the hardest shot of surviving a primary.

He's also the only possible candidate I can think of that could serve the party as a symbolic move away from the teabagger hardliners, if he/his campaign is adroit enough to flip his cooperation with Obama in the aftermath of Sandy from albatross to asset. This presumes of course those maniacs can be re-leashed, and that their former masters wish so to do.

• Locked thread