Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Install Windows posted:

It's actually pretty politically smart to get yourself a senate seat and stay there forever. Starting salary is $174,000 a year, you get a sweet Federal pension that no one's going to cut after you're in place for a term or two, you of course get all sorts of perks from lobbyists. And your re-election campaigns are probably going to be just easy coasts for the forseeable future - you're an incumbent after all!

These perks are pretty insignificant when you consider that our Senate comprises the most brilliant investors on the planet, putting idiots like Warren Buffet to shame, so surely all of them could make millions without any political access :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Sir Tonk posted:

Scott Brown, Mr. Salt-Of-The-Earth himself, has never eaten a corndog?

Can I interest you in a Herald article about Elizabeth Warren's heritage? Tomahawk chop!

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
Speaking of Ted Cruz, debate gossip is still the best gossip. As a former APDA debater, absolutely none of this surprises me.

quote:

Patricia Murphy's sort-of illuminating, sort-of bizarre story on Sen. Ted Cruz's Princeton years depicts the senator as just as conservative and polarizing as he is today. His freshman-year roommate, Craig Mazin, provides some nice color:

"I remember very specifically that he had a book in Spanish and the title was Was Karl Marx a Satanist? And I thought, who is this person?" Mazin says of Ted Cruz. “Even in 1988, he was politically extreme in a way that was surprising to me.”

The article goes on to describe Cruz as being "creepy" for donning a paisley bathrobe and wandering past the girls' bathroom on his dorm floor, yet by another (anonymous) account he was "sort of a stud" with the girls on the college debate circuit. What do other people who debated with Cruz think of him?

I talked to some Yale debate team alumni who competed with Cruz in college—Yale and Princeton have a decades-spanning, Crips/Bloods sort of debate team rivalry. Slate's own Dahlia Lithwick faced off against Cruz in college tournaments, and remembers his high-minded rhetoric. "He wasn’t ‘creepy’ on the debate circuit—he was a phenom," she said. "When Ted was 19 people knew he’d run for president."

Cruz competed against and lost to former White House economic adviser Austan Goolsbee in the American Parliamentary Debate Association's 1991 Team of the Year* contest. (Cruz went on to win in 1992.) Goolsbee's debate partner, David Gray, recalled that after beating Cruz and his partner, David Panton, one team challenged the other to a pickup basketball game. As Gray remembers it, Goolsbee was matched up to guard Cruz, and proceeded to trash-talk Cruz up and down the court.

"Austan can be very, very funny. He kept challenging Ted to shoot the ball from outlandishly long places—'I bet you $20 you can't make a shot from right here,' " Gray said. "Austan would bait Ted to shoot, shoot, shoot, and it was not a good result for him. ... Ted couldn’t help himself from taking the shots." Princeton lost the game.

Goolsbee wouldn't comment on the basketball game, but said many of Cruz's debate mannerisms have stayed the same over the years; he has the "same raised fist gesture and eloquent outrage over the philosophical offenses committed by his opponents." Harry Susman, a Houston-based attorney who was also on the Yale debate team, knew Cruz from their high school years in Houston and on the Ivy League circuit. He recalled Cruz as being nerdy but not as openly conservative as the Daily Beast story painted him.

"The guy was a great debater, he really was. I don’t think anyone would dispute that," Susman said. "The guy’s really smart, he’s quick on his feet, and he’s very serious about issues of public concern, so that’s a pretty good combination." Was he really a "stud" with girls on the debate circuit? Susman laughed. "I will say this: Being a stud with girls on the debate circuit does not mean you’re a stud with girls."
*This post has been clarified to reflect that they were competing for Team of the Year, not the APDA's national championship.

Also yeah he got clowned by Goolsbee in 1991.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

quote:

Yale and Princeton have a decades-spanning, Crips/Bloods sort of debate team rivalry

Something about this sentence just doesn't fit.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Naet posted:

Something about this sentence just doesn't fit.

It's also only half true. (If you ask Princeton, Yale is their rival. If you ask Yale, it's Harvard. If you ask anyone else from any other team, it's "burn them both to the ground and salt the earth so that no monster so pretentious may ever rise again.")

Plus, it's perfectly in keeping with the "ironic" racism that permeates college debate.

The Warszawa fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Aug 21, 2013

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
Thanks for putting the mental picture of Austan Goolsbee dunking on Ted Cruz into my head.

The logical conclusion of this, of course, is to add a White House/Congressional pickup hoops game to the annual roster of dumbass sporting events our elected officials participate in. Everyone knows about the annual Congressional Baseball Game, right?

Fun Fact: Ron Paul hit the first over-the-wall homer in 1979.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

serewit posted:

Thanks for putting the mental picture of Austan Goolsbee dunking on Ted Cruz into my head.

The logical conclusion of this, of course, is to add a White House/Congressional pickup hoops game to the annual roster of dumbass sporting events our elected officials participate in. Everyone knows about the annual Congressional Baseball Game, right?

PED of choice: colloidal gold

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Nice Davis posted:

PED of choice: colloidal gold

Democrats making up for a long run of Republican victories by winning this year's game 22-0.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

serewit posted:

Which makes it the only notable accomplishment of his entire congressional career.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.
I guess leading up to the election we can look forward to years more of political reporters lying about the Clintons because "It's fun" to get a rise out of people correcting them.

Glenn Thrush Lies, Gets Caught, Promises More

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

FuriousxGeorge posted:

I guess leading up to the election we can look forward to years more of political reporters lying about the Clintons because "It's fun" to get a rise out of people correcting them.

It's more notable that anyone gives a poo poo who anyone's favorite sports team is in politics, even in New York (gently caress the Yankees, by the bye).

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

FuriousxGeorge posted:

Politico seems like a modern version of DrudgeReport (you know, with formatting), am I off-base on this at all?

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Joementum posted:

Do read all of the DMR's follow-along with Scotty Brown as he toured the Iowa State Fair.

I like the caption under his picture:

quote:

Former U.S. Sen. Scott Brown, a Republican Massachusetts, talks to a Des Moines TV reporter

He's like a little Republican Massachusetts, just walking around and thinking he's people!

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Riptor posted:

I like the caption under his picture:

He's like a little Republican Massachusetts, just walking around and thinking he's people!

He's about all that's left in Republican Massachusetts, to be honest. What else is there, Tisei? Bielat?

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Sir Tonk posted:

Politico seems like a modern version of DrudgeReport (you know, with formatting), am I off-base on this at all?

Nah, you've pretty much hit the nail on the head.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

serewit posted:

Nah, you've pretty much hit the nail on the head.

Their paid service is actually pretty decent.

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

ReindeerF posted:

I agree with your underlying point, but Cruz is intelligent in cognitive terms. His head is full of bad knowledge and he comes to all kinds of stupid conclusions, but I can assure you that he is not technically a dumb man. That's sort of what makes him dangerous. With some teabagger like Bachmann or Gohmert or whatever you know you're dealing with a mouth-breathing idiot, but with guys like Paul or Cruz you're in a bit more danger because they're smart enough to carry out complex behaviors and to handle technical tasks like running an organization.

I don't disagree with you. Cruz may be highly intelligent, but he's also an unapologetic fanatic. He could have been hand-made to be the perfect 2016 candidate to win over Tea Partiers, but he's still wholly incapable of appealing to moderates.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

It's more notable that anyone gives a poo poo who anyone's favorite sports team is in politics, even in New York (gently caress the Yankees, by the bye).

These trivial matters are important. Don't you remember when John Kerry lost the popular vote in Philly because he ordered the wrong cheese on his sandwich?

quote:

I don't disagree with you. Cruz may be highly intelligent, but he's also an unapologetic fanatic. He could have been hand-made to be the perfect 2016 candidate to win over Tea Partiers, but he's still wholly incapable of appealing to moderates.

Every time I see him I think he would be perfect cast in a movie as a sleazy preacher that is actually the antichrist. I may be going over board based on outward appearances but he just oozes something creepy to me.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

FuriousxGeorge posted:

These trivial matters are important. Don't you remember when John Kerry lost the popular vote in Philly because he ordered the wrong cheese on his sandwich?
Can't tell if you're kidding but Kerry carried Pennsylvania, largely because his landslide in Philadelphia cancelled out the rest of the state.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

It's arguably part of why Scott Brown was the senator for Massachusetts. Sports team rivalries are probably the most influential form of existing regional tribalism.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Bicyclops posted:

It's arguably part of why Scott Brown was the senator for Massachusetts. Sports team rivalries are probably the most influential form of existing regional tribalism.

Especially when it comes to Boston/New York. You say anything bad about the Red Sox while running for office in this state...get a player name wrong, insult the team, insinuate that they're not going to win the Series, anything--and you can kiss your rear end goodbye, regardless of party. Only person that didn't destroy is John Kerry, and it sure as hell didn't help him in 2004.

Kem Rixen
Aug 6, 2007

With this turnip I am become death, the destroyer of worlds!

Alter Ego posted:

Especially when it comes to Boston/New York. You say anything bad about the Red Sox while running for office in this state...get a player name wrong, insult the team, insinuate that they're not going to win the Series, anything--and you can kiss your rear end goodbye, regardless of party. Only person that didn't destroy is John Kerry, and it sure as hell didn't help him in 2004.

Menino messed up player names all the time, but then again it was Menino, and he had trouble with names and words all the time.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Kem Rixen posted:

Menino messed up player names all the time, but then again it was Menino, and he had trouble with names and words all the time.

Well, as far as we can tell he's messing them up. Not for nothing is his nickname "mumbles."

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

dusty posted:

Corn doggin' with Marcus

Is there any chance God will call her to run again in 16?

Apparently God only has conference calls and half a dozen other GOP hopefuls will mysteriously be in on it, too.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

FuriousxGeorge posted:

Every time I see him I think he would be perfect cast in a movie as a sleazy preacher that is actually the antichrist. I may be going over board based on outward appearances but he just oozes something creepy to me.

This is key. His insincerity is just off the charts. He strikes me as someone who knows his arguments are a joke. He will never win the presidency, we elect people who come across as human beings.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Name that GOP hopeful!

quote:

On gay marriage, I support it, at both the state level and the federal level. Gay marriage is something I’ve thought about at length as I’ve looked at my future. I concluded, a couple years ago, that I think it should be permissible and treated the same at both levels.”
John Bolton

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Name that GOP hopeful!
John Bolton

So he's now right on something a total of Dick Morris +1 then?

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Name that GOP hopeful!
John Bolton

quote:

Gay marriage is something I’ve thought about at length as I’ve looked at my future.

I know this is just him admitting that this is a political decision but it's amusing to think that he could also be planning on marrying a man in the future.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Internet Webguy posted:

I know this is just him admitting that this is a political decision but it's amusing to think that he could also be planning on marrying a man in the future.

I think a lot of politicians would marry a man if they thought it would get them elected.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Raw Story posted:

Speaking to National Instruments in Austin on Thursday, Cruz poked fun at his own birth certificate situation, and at the same time, he seemed to be stoking those who don’t believe the president is a U.S. citizen.

“I promise that while y’all are out I’ll try not to give any like really juicy piece of crazy news,” Cruz said, adding, “I am secretly a citizen of Ethiopia.”

I'll gladly throw down $5, if someone can make a dogwhistle smiley for 2014/16.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

crowfeathers posted:

I think a lot of politicians would marry a man if they thought it would get them elected.

Well it's worked for Hillary so far :j:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

ufarn posted:

I'll gladly throw down $5, if someone can make a dogwhistle smiley for 2014/16.

preferably something that has a whistle and a dog version of :froggonk: .

foot
Mar 28, 2002

why foot why

Nenonen posted:

Well it's worked for Hillary so far :j:

When the Clintons got marrried, I don't think Hillary expected to rise above First Lady. She wanted to be Eva Perón.

SavageBastard
Nov 16, 2007
Professional Lurker

foot posted:

When the Clintons got marrried, I don't think Hillary expected to rise above First Lady. She wanted to be Eva Perón.

You are crazy if you think Hillary hasn't dreamed of being the First Woman President since she was 7 years old. She is not a lady who all of a sudden discovered her political ambitions once she perchance found herself sitting in the halls of power.

SavageBastard fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Aug 26, 2013

Doctor Candiru
Dec 23, 2004
Umbrella Monkey Sand
Edit: Nevermind.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

SavageBastard posted:

You are crazy if you think Hillary hasn't dreamed of being the First Woman President since she was 7 years old. She is not a lady who all of a sudden discovered her political ambitions once sitting she perchance found herself sitting in the halls of power.

The PBS documentary on the Clintons drives this home something fierce. They're both very ambitious people, but she was portrayed as the "brains", while Bill was the public face.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
I think the idea that Hillary just latched onto a guy who was going places is just a way to devalue her abilities and accomplishments.

foot
Mar 28, 2002

why foot why

Armyman25 posted:

I think the idea that Hillary just latched onto a guy who was going places is just a way to devalue her abilities and accomplishments.

No, I'm not saying that at all. I don't think Clinton would have risen through the ranks without Hillary's aid. The Peron comparison was probably ill-considered on my part.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

foot posted:

No, I'm not saying that at all. I don't think Clinton would have risen through the ranks without Hillary's aid. The Peron comparison was probably ill-considered on my part.

Yeah, it's definitely been a symbiotic political relationship, and I don't think it's unreasonable to say that they both probably hoped it would be. They are very interesting people to be sure; I keep meaning to read my (signed!) copy of My Life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
The Clintons were the inspiration for Pinky and the Brain, obviously.

• Locked thread