Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
How is all of this travel booked for you paywise? Are you compensated extra for the time spent traveling? Is it like 'time and a half' overtime? Or are most of you on a sales commission scheme rather than salary anyway?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
Flying United between Hong Kong and San Francisco is garbage. Old 747 where they don't even have personal TVs for a 12-14 hour flight. It was cheap, but never again! I'll pay the extra $300 for Cathay just so I have something interesting to do.

Too bad Cathay goes through LAX and SFO is so much more pleasant.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe

Small White Dragon posted:

Cathay flies SFO-HKG.

Do they??? I'll have to look into that. I thought they only flew through the Mighty OneWorld Hub that is the Kafkaesque nightmare of LAX.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe

caberham posted:

Now I'm hooked on flying and will try to rank up one world status.

Just be careful about Cathay

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
Also those tiny rear end private planes suck for long haul flights. First class commercial is way more comfortable.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
It does look pretty nice, but I also see the cabin is only 6'3" high (at its highest point, it's a curved aircraft fuselage of course). I'm an inch taller than that and I'd think it'd start to get pretty claustrophobic after hour 6 or so.

But then I guess I won't knock it till I've tried it.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
Yes. I'm now setting up my VPN stuff after arriving and it's a lot more annoying than it needs to be. Just test everything before you leave Free Internet Land.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
Astrill is satisfactory, but I wish I had gone with Vypr.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
I've become a big fan of Google Flights since it got me a much cheaper and better trans-pacific travel route than Kayak did.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
Honestly I have no idea. I was just trying to go CAN-WAS and Google Flights with its slick GUI got me a route through Hong Kong that was United all the way with only two stops and about a grand cheaper than the best I could get from Kayak which was 3 stops.

Granted, anything to do with Chinese airports sucks but I was surprised at the difference.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe

Midjack posted:

gently caress pretty much any car driven by someone else. Rentals can go to hell too.

That's why I travel exclusively by hoverboard, helicopter and personal teleporter.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
Any tips for a favorite hotel in Washington DC? Everything in downtown seems really old and not renovated in years even at the high end.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
Work won't pay for sharing economy stuff like that.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I know some guys who swear by melatonin and other guys who have some quasi-legal Thai quackery poo poo that is related to tiger balm that you inhale through your nose (it is not cocaine).

I swear by melatonin. It blew me away when I first tried it because I'm a mega skeptic who thinks all natural supplement crap is all bullshit, but melatonin has me conked out in a half an hour without fail.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
I did SFO-PVG in a three piece once.

It wasn't too bad in United BusinessFirst, but I wish I had brought a change of clothes.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
Excuse me, sir, do you have a minute to talk about Open and Fair Skies?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe

Midjack posted:

Contact the hotel directly. You can check in that late most places if you reserve the night (so this would be reserve for the night you're flying) and give them a credit card. Yeah, you'll be paying for a few hours of hotel room you're not using, but it's worth $80 to me to take a shower and not have to stumble around an airport in a sleepy haze looking for somewhere to nap.

Sometimes it works out for you. If you're staying in Seoul, you won't get there till like 7am anyway and if the hotel's not booked up, they'll let you check in in my experience anyway.