Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

fyallm posted:

SPG sent out the promo to everyone but depends on your status the extra points. For example mine was 5k with a max of 15k points.

Not quite everyone. I got an error when inputting my SPG number. Annoying as I'm just one stay from Gold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Cacafuego posted:

For those that signed up and received a United bonus offer a couple months ago, the miles have started to post. I hit the first bonus level after spending (and flying) $500 worth of United flights and was surprised they deposited the 6,000 bonus miles into my MP account already. I thought I was going to have to wait until November to get them.

I've gotten too used to being pampered with status on AA that I'm finding it difficult to book my flights on United because the only options my employer will pay for end up being in the last row of the plane in the middle seat. Still, I won't turn down 30,000 bonus miles, so I guess I'll suffer at the back of the bus. Does United status match at all?

Def no status match. United does sell an economy plus subscription, and they inexplicably gave it to me for free without asking. Still, between requalifying for AA Plat, my award travel on CX, and other promos like JetBlue, I'm having difficulty finding ways to fly UA for the promo you mentioned.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

fyallm posted:

Did you actually receive the email or found a link somewhere else?

I don't think United even sent me an email. It was very confusing and opaque to me. I was booking LAX-IAD and the website put me into Y+, and I thought it was just some kind of bug.

-I travel on UA like once a year, with ~50k miles balance since the Continental days. Nowhere near elite nor any intentions to qualify
-Had a United MileagePlus Explorer credit card
-Registered for the promo Cacafuego mentioned
-Based out of LAX
-AA Plat flyer but there's no way United would know :tinfoil:

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
What's the best car rental company in SLC for a quick weekend getaway? Disappointingly, National doesn't have an Executive Selection there so I booked whatever on Autoslash. Would be cool to get a convertible.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
I had a delusional moment last night thinking about flying from LGB to SAN (San Diego not Santa Ana) in order to pick up 2000 more EQM. I would have to connect in Phoenix and it would take ~5 hours each leg including connections. I'm about 3k short of requalifying for AA Plat this year.

Then I woke up and decided I'm driving instead (about 100 miles each way) because the conference is reimbursing me at IRS rates per mile in cold hard cash.

FFPs are a hell of a drug.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Do you mean they don't have an Executive section of the Emerald Aisle because I'm fairly sure that isn't correct. Or do you mean "pay more money for a bad Maserati" section?

According to National's website there is no Emerald Aisle at SLC:
https://www.nationalcar.com/en_US/location-details/us/slct01-salt-lake-city-intl-arpt.html

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

fyallm posted:

I meant SPG.

My mistake. No, SPG didn't send me a targeted email. I went to a website listed by a blog: http://www.travelcodex.com/2016/08/spg-members-targeted-for-double-qualifying-nights-or-bonus-points/

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Mackieman posted:

Back in June I was on an ANA flight doing NRT-PEK and we took off two hours late due to, "ATC" and then the normally three hour flight clocked in at 5:05 as we circled and circled around the Yellow Sea. When we landed, there was a Chinese ANA agent who handed every passenger 100RMB and a letter in Japanese and Mandarin (neither of which I can read) along with their profuse apologies as we left the aircraft. The 100RMB was put to good use the following day on beers from Slow Boat Brewing in Beijing.

I booked the same NRT-PEK flight for next week; hopefully we don't have any of the same horseshit. After flying CLT-IAH-NRT-PEK I wanted to be the gently caress there in the worst way.

Last week I was on an AA flight doing LAX-YYZ and we took off two hours late due to "passport" and then landed very late.

Nobody cared. The flight crew looked like they were about to collapse from exhaustion and/or apathy.

edit: You're in CLT and fly Star Alliance??

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

asur posted:

The United Clib card had an annual fee waiver. I haven't look recently but did they remove it?

I've had a generally mediocre experience with United Clubs. Prefer AA Admirals Clubs.

Also, the Citi Prestige card has access to AA and Priority Pass. They're phasing out AA in a year but I plan to cancel by then so whatever.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Noggin Monkey posted:

Many thanks to everyone who recommended National as the go-to rental car brand. Not only do I breeze past the lines at the rental outpost, but they make it really easy to hit Executive and rack up the free rental days.

A+, now avoiding other brands like the plague

You can get free Executive from a Mastercard World Elite card. Many MCs are world elite, e.g. Barclaycard Arrival+

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Need to fly to Montreal next month. All of the best, quickest, and cheapest routings are on Star Alliance (AC flies direct LAX-YUL) but I'm seriously considering flying convoluted and long two-stop flights on AA because I'm 3k miles short of requalifying for AA platinum status.

This is crazy right

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Are you not going to get your status otherwise?

Barring unexpected extra travel. I've spreadsheeted out my travel plans tail end of year...

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Domestic F and J on AA's once daily 77W from LAX-MIA is amazing. Basically a CX hard product and I was able to snag F for under $1k return. J is probably good enough though.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Omne posted:

Thanks to the Sapphire Reserve, I'm now sitting on 300k Ultimate Reward points and 100k United miles. Frequent Travel goons, how shall I spend it? First class to Tokyo? Sydney (though I don't think 400k is enough, given United's lovely award calendar on a partner)?

I would spend the UR on hotels (Hyatt) and buy a cheap $600 r/t in economy to Tokyo. Lots of sales going on these days. If you have never experienced F, doing a leg on F (ANA or LH) makes sense I suppose.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I assume that I will be traveling Y/Y+ unless I have a very good justification, which for me is Asian travel or travel with quick turns. If someone is paying me $X to be at a site meeting, they want me to be as high-performing as possible, so they should pay $0.2X to maximize performance. This logic works sometimes; if I get a lot of pushback I will revert to Y/Y+.

I find Cathay's Premium Economy (PEY / W) product to be pretty dang good. But maybe I'm weird and don't like being fully lie flat on a plane.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
I like using the ostrich pillow (light version). Looks ridiculous, sure, but I sleep well in it. Window seat is key too.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Lots of crazy $400-500 r/t USA Europe fares today. Love that AA let me place holds on a few trips to Madrid, Geneva, and Amsterdam.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
It's confusing to me that AA can sell ex-LHR fares (e.g. LHR-LAX) and ex-continent fares (e.g. FCO-PHL-LAX) at the same $400 all-in price (on some dates). Aren't they on the hook for a huge amount of UK APD?

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Flew on the Sunday of Thanksgiving weekend with 3 seats empty in the first class cabin of a CRJ9. FA said it was for weight and balance. I thought this was supposed to be a busy travel day!

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
IHG will give you free platinum elite with their credit card, which is worth holding onto for the free night every year (offsets the annual fee). You can also get free national car rental status from CC.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

caberham posted:

How far are you

I am fat enough to value the seat width of a real MCE seat over an exit row seat. CX PEY--now that's some nice wide seating.

Speaking of fat chat, my favorite in flight snack is now the Calbee Whole Cuts that AA stocks in domestic F. Luckily there is no store within 100 miles of LA that stocks these, or I'd be even fatter.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

KillHour posted:

Also, the chase sapphire reserve is so much better than the amex platinum unless you fly delta AND your hub airport has a centurion lounge.

Why? Please tell me about these fantastic Priority Pass lounges in the US. Last week I was in the very sad PHX "The Club".

At some point, a lounge is worse than a an airport restaurant/bar. I just cancelled my Citi AA Exec card because some AA lounges were just not really worth the effort.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
I know it changes on Jan 1 such that the companion inherits your status.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Oh wow! Didn't see that in the AS email. Feeling smug about my Virgin America JetBlue pointsmarch. Come to meee AS points!

If I book an award on AS can I input my AA (Plat) FF number for OW Sapphire status?

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

ScooterMcTiny posted:

Also, I've been a delta guy for a while now, but also sitting on a few hundred thousand Chase UR points as well - will I have better luck getting to Europe using those on United or something similar? Thinking this all might be less of a headache with a travel agent.

I think the best value of your UR points are Hyatts. If you are in Paris, the Vendome is a obvious choice. It's not a boutique hotel but it's really nice and maybe you can split your accommodations.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
For what it's worth, my wife has received TSA Pre while traveling on the same itinerary as me. She doesn't have any secure flight info (she's not even American, she's Canadian) but I have GE. Ymmv

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
I'm posting this from the toilet of the Park Hyatt Tokyo. Got a free night here thanks to the Hyatt CC. It's a nice place to visit but I had much higher expectations of a five star hotel. No way this is worth the $700+ a night that's being quoted on their website.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
To be honest, we enjoyed the Sheraton HK Towers (a very nice four star hotel) just as much as the Ritz Carlton HK (108th floor) and the Park Hyatt Tokyo.

That Sheraton stay also put me into SPG Plat status. Looking forward to seeing what that does for me later in the honeymoon in Kyoto.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

sellouts posted:

Are you using any sort of the features of the hotel/concierge or just the room? Any particular failures? I've got to haul a client over there in Q2 next year and I bet we'll end up there. I want to try to swing the Aman though.

I find that when I need service and the little touches within those requests are when the five star hotels shine. Otherwise the Westin heavenly bed setup will almost assure me to like a hotel.

Concierge did help us reserve a seat at a one star Michelin restaurant. However, that's only after I complained about the low Tabelog rating of the first restaurant they suggested. They also dealt with my requests for other restaurants, none of which they were able to fill unfortunately.

We have stayed in a six hotels so far during this Asia trip and only the Park Hyatt (and Intercon Yokohama) failed to recognize our wedding/honeymoon in some way. I am Hyatt Plat and IHG Plat too, fwiw. Location of the hotel is lame. Spa is somewhat underwhelming. Pool is nice, gym is nice. Service is impeccable. Room is stylishly done, in an understated manner. Nobody greeted us at the door to take our bags, and there was a long line for checkout. All of my quibbles are fine for a $200 hotel but not for a $600+ hotel. Tonight rates were 120,000 JPY for a normal room. Ouch.

Tonight we are in the Hyatt Regency just three blocks away from the Park Hyatt. Not as nice for sure, but a bottle of wine with a note, direct subway access, and rates a fraction of the PHT feel pretty good. View is much worse than PHT and there is no feeling of exclusivity if that matters to you.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

i fly airplanes posted:

Personally, I don't like AA at all as a program,

I thought AA had the best of the big 3? Delta has opaque awards and UA has a worse airline.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Anyone have some good third night free codes from SPG? I tried Z3R and Z3H at the Westin Madrid but neither are working. I was able to use these last year at the Sheraton HK to save a buttload of money (in combination with the fourth night free Citi Prestige)

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
SPG Plat should come with free breakfast and lounge access, according to the policy online.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

sellouts posted:

If you are on vacation why are you eating free breakfast at the hotel?

Saves time and (sometimes) money for sightseeing?

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
My friend's wedding is in rural Maine. The closest airport is serviced by Cape Air, on Cessnas. This is crazy, right? I get seasick, and the one time I piloted a light aircraft, I got queasy. Then again, this is being sold on Google Flights, so maybe it's not that bad..?

Alternatively, what's the best rental car company in PWM that I can drop off in BOS? Looks like National doesn't have an Emerald Aisle in Portland.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
If you're American it's easy to get mid tier hotel status with IHG, Hyatt, or SPG with their respective credit cards. Personally I'm sticking to SPG Plat, but that's just because things worked out with the hotel chain last year. To be honest, I don't find status to be that valuable compared to the amount of money dumped into achieving that status. But hey, if your company's paying..

PS if you're HK based, maybe the Amex Plat will give you something. The US one gives SPG gold.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Half the fun of going to Italy is seeing exactly how fast a 103 hp Fiat Punto 1.3 MultiJet diesel can go.

Thanks guys, I have to head that way quite a bit this year so one of the trips I'll check out Bologna.

If you're driving, the Ferrari museum is near Modena. Worth a visit if you're into cars. Sebastian Vettel drove by us and waved at us in his Ferrari, which was a cool thing. There's a pasta restaurant nearby called Montana with a lot of memorabilia on the walls too.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
I stayed at Ritz-Carlton Hong Kong and Osaka, and found the beds to be less comfortable than an Aloft. Bizarre. Also weird that their toiletries were made in China.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Hotels in Asia are generally nicer. You're not comparing apples. Also, courtyard in not part of SPG.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
At least you can earn EQDs and half EQMs on AA BE. Delta gives you jack poo poo. But if you don't care about elite status, then Delta is prob a better option.

Really, people should vote with their dollars to a Good Carrier like Jetblue or Alaska. But more people fly Spirit so..

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

JetBlue rolled back in to a basic economy type product last year, they'll go further with it in the coming years I'm sure.

JetBlue's BE is way better than the big 3's BE.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

JetBlue basic economy is roughly comparable to big 3 regular economy for non-elites, but they're almost certainly going to do something more in the future.

Is it? More legroom than legacy coach and IFE. Full earning and no carryon restrictions. Comparatively fair flight change fees if your trip is far away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Better snacks on JetBlue too! I admit I haven't flown delta much, but I have not been impressed by their in flight product. I can't imagine their IFE being better than live DirectTV.