Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

So my complaint about airline seats are that they make my tailbone hurt. I'm 6'2", 195# and can get reasonably comfortable unless i'm in the window seat of a regional jet. But something about airline seats kill my tailbone. I need to start carrying a hemorrhoid cushion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Work announced this week that we're dumping our corporate contract with Hertz and going to National/Enterprise.

I'm not too upset - 10 years ago Hertz would bend over backwards. Today, they're expensive, their service sucks, and their cars are thrashed.

On the other hand, I rarely have good experience with Enterprise - for the same reason as above but at least they're cheap. And I've refused several of their cars because of appallingly nasty interiors. Hopefully the National side of the house is better (and they're starting everyone out with executive elite status).

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

So, since we switched from Hertz to National/Enterprise, I've decided gently caress Enterprise. The last 10 cars I've had from them have either been near end-of-life, had a layer of film on the interior and exterior surfaces, or smelled bad. National is 100% better, and I can pick my own drat car. Twice in the past month Enterprise has downgraded me because they ran out of cars. I can't take people to lunch in a Yaris.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

MickeyFinn posted:

gently caress this time change poo poo.

I'm glad I'm not on the road for it this year.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Heading to SFO for a conference in April. Corporate travel wants me to book a room on the other side of the bay to save $100/night on hotel. Nevermind rental car, parking, and/or other expenses (time*hourly salary) required to get to the financial district cost more than $100/night. I finally talked with someone with a brain and they approved the conference hotel.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Noctone posted:

Thank gently caress for that. Never mind the cost factor, commuting across the Bay Bridge every day would've destroyed your soul.

And then there's parking, which would eat my soul.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Every now and then the stars align and awesome happens - I left Long Beach 3hrs before my flight at LAX and got stuck in traffic. Arrived at the baggage counter 30 mins before departure.

The cute Delta guy walked me through security and onto the plane. Not to humble brag, but this is where status and good customer service create a win.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Yeah, every Delta flight I've had this year so far has been late. Only once did it work to my advantage.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

ScooterMcTiny posted:

I've only had to wait for a C+ upgrade at the gate a couple times, and both times I asked the gate agent to not upgrade me to a middle seat and they happily took note. I think they hear plenty of poo poo when people get put into middle seats, that any heads up to save them pain is appreciated.

This has been my experience as well.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

The only time Delta said anything to me about luggage weight (carry-on or checked) was the beginning of the year when I was building status. They haven't bugged me about it since, and I know my checked luggage is over when I'm flying back from the west coast.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Blinkman987 posted:

I was using TA mindlessly for food until one day I was trying to think of ways I could vet their system-- and then I searched my own local area.

I no longer use TA for food advice.

This. I want to be able to ignore every review posted by someone over 60. Typical reviews: "McDonald's is great, 5 stars"; "Chez Phillipe is terrible, the valet took 30 seconds to retrieve my Lexus and the waiter was a foreigner"

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Just in time for my E Coast tour! Wahoo!

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Effective recall communication in action :haw:

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I always end up in the seat next to chatty Carl and his tinfoil hat conspiracies

:tinfoil:

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I'm about to embark on an adventure - since I'm single and no family, I'm flying Allegiant to Las Vegas. Looking at flight stats that flight is in the bottom 10% on time arrival. In fact the Monday flight was 6 hours late due to *reasons*.

The good news is the ticket was hella cheap, I'm in no hurry (on mandatory vacation the next 3 weeks), and have a phone loaded with books, TV shows, and a battery pack.

Worst case scenario is I give up, go home, and book a flight for the next day.

I'll report back how comically bad this turns out.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

I'm flying Allegiant LCK to SFB (yes those are real airports)

Your post made me realize I didn't check the flight stats. One leg is on time 75% of the time with an average delay of 20 min, the other is like 90% with an average delay of 20 min. That's not that bad for what I paid.

I could only dream of those stats for my flight.

I didn't drill in earlier, but the flight is on-time 70% of the time, but the average delay is 4.5 hours. It looks like Monday's flight had 3 aircraft changes, hence the 6 hour delay. It also looks like flight stats did a good job of picking up each change and subsequent delay as it was happening.

My plan is to check on the flight before I leave the house - if there's more than a 2 hour delay, I'm executing the backup plan.

The good news is there's a Delta direct the next morning with plenty of open seats and I have enough miles to cover it.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Yeah, I went ahead and booked the Delta non-stop using points. I just Googled "Allegiant and MEM" and it was pretty drat scary.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

So we made the mistake of booking a business conference at a Hilton Grand Vacation location earlier this year. They have been more persistent than poison ivy trying to get me to a timeshare pitch. Evidently everyone who attended the conference has been getting the same thing. I was stupid and my price was a free 4/3 stay at one of the resorts and 45000 HHonors points.

Their packages are worse than you can ever imagine and just about the highest pressure sales pitch I've ever sat through. I knew I out hosed them when they started outright insulting me.

Cliffs Notes: an annual 10 day package runs about $40k financed at credit card rates over 10 years. 10% down and they push you to do the downpayment on their Hilton branded AMEX. They tell you it's an appreciating asset, but then when you look online they cash out for 10 cents on the dollar. You pay maintenance fees annually for the length you hold a deed (running at least $1k, increasing 3-5% annually). You pay $59 per visit booking fee, plus resort fees. Unless you go through a timeshare exchange (which you'll want to do since they only have like 40 properties globally) it's $259 per visit. They tell you they have unlimited availability as an 'owner' but if you can get access to their booking website everything remotely desirable is booked 6-9 months or more out. They tell you that you can 'roll' your days over, but they don't tell you there's an annual fee for doing so. They tell you that you can convert your days to HHonors points at a 1:25 ratio, which sounds great until you do the math and unless you're doing a Hampton in Bumfuck you'll only get enough HHonors points to do a 4 day stay for your 10 day package.

And this is only the things they tell you in the presentation. I'd love to get my hands on a deed and contract to see all the other ways they gently caress you over.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Rex-Goliath posted:

so was it worth it for the free stay & points?

I have a strong will and quickly picked up on how the game was played. I would do it once. I will not do it again.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

sellouts posted:

Anyone flown JetSuiteX? Giving it a try next week.

Love them. I've done their BUR-LAS route several times. Not having to go through TSA or the Terminal is great if you're not connecting, a little bit of a hassle if you are.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

monster on a stick posted:

They usually don't give you the rewards until/unless you listen to the pitch.

The nice ones do that.

HVC charges the full cost of lodging on your tab (credit card required) at check-in. Once they draw a contract for you (at the presentation) they adjust your tab and give you the points. No contract drawn, you're screwed. So you have to be strategic as to when/if you play the 'walk' card. You don't have to sign the contract.

If you choose not to sign the contract, they'll hand you off to another guy who will try to get you purchase a 'VIP' package that will allow you to hold the terms of the contract for 18 months and allow you to take a copy of the contract with you. It also includes your first year of 'points' as a bonus so you can 'trial' the program (whether you sign the contract or not). The 'VIP' package cost is equal to the downpayment (10%) stated on the contract and is applied as the downpayment if you purchase.

Sorry for the derail, but my warning stands - if you stay at a Hilton Vacation Club they're going to try to recruit you. Be prepared to work for any incentives they throw at you, and ask what the catch is if anyone offers you anything for free. Those freebees = consent to be recruited.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

If you can plan your trips a couple of weeks in advance and fly mid-week you can catch some great rates.

edit: I already said this two pages ago. brb need more coffee

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Android Auto has become my new rental car must have.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

National just tried to upgrade me to an F250 double cab long wheelbase 4x4. They seemed pissed that I politely declined.

edit: I had a minivan reserved because I'm carpooling at a conference.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Try that with 3 middle aged female executives. I'd have to buy a step ladder to get them in.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Babbys first rental car damage claim-

National gave me a Jeep Cherokee with a busted instrument cluster, several door dings, and 0% oil life. It was all they had at pickup in bumfuck NC and I was assured everything was noted on my account. Of course it wasn't when I dropped it back off.

Good thing we have the damage waiver baked into our corporate contract.

In 5 years of 25% travel its babby's first claim :kimchi:

Goober Peas fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Feb 11, 2017

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

i fly airplanes posted:

I'm partial for Senator Larry Craig and the now-demolished memorial restroom

So tell us about the quality of service there :giggity:

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Waroduce posted:

I'm flying into Charlotte multiple times over the next month for connections with approximately a one-hour layover It's All American. Does anybody anticipate that being a problem

As long as you're not coming into Charlotte on an international flight, you're good. Their international baggage claim is perpetually broken, causing customs to back up to eternity.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

IHG has stepped up their game over the last year or so. I find Holiday Inn Expresses to be generally more consistent and less worn feeling than Hampton Inns as of late.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

DJCobol posted:

IHG whenever possible. I like Hilton properties, but when it comes to point earning and point redemption, IHG all the way.

Our company is in bed with Hilton at the moment and it takes too much hassle to book outside of the Hilton portfolio. Otherwise, I'd book IHG. They really do have a superior rewards program.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

No, gently caress concur

:haw:

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I've done the earlier flight thing at the gate with Delta a few times. Twice I've been turned down - when trying to switch from a direct redeye to indirect flight where the 2nd leg was the last flight of the day; switching from 2nd flight of morning to 1st flight of morning.

As mentioned, if they have an open seat they'll usually put you as a standby.

Unless you're wearing a t-shirt, jeans, and flipflops. :haw:

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

If you check the Delta app or online beginning a few days before your flight you may be given the opportunity to upgrade for x$ or miles. It depends on how many premium seats are open, and available only if you purchased a main cabin ticket - and how much depends on the distance of the flight.

If they can convince 10 people to pay an extra $60 ea they come out $600 ahead of moving 10 people with status for free.

You usually are better off with exit row seats on Delta vs Comfort+ Depending on the plane I've ended up with more leg room there.

Edit: beaten :argh:

I was offered an upgrade to 1st class for $300 from LAX to ATL a couple of Tuesdays ago

Goober Peas fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Apr 4, 2017

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Yeah, I didn't bite - I already had the exit row next to the attendant jumpseat - which is my preferred seat in general.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I moved anything I had booked through ATL to MSP or DET for a couple of weeks after the first day of storms. Delta should waive my rebooking fees in appreciation :colbert:

(they probably would if I asked)

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

When I start my own airline
All guns and explosives will be allowed
The liquor cabinet flows
Sex will be freely had
Leggings will be worn
or not

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

We have to get VP approval to fly Southwest. Also Frontier, Allegiant, JetBlue, or Spirit. Not that anyone flying on business travel would ever choose to.

Oddly, no restrictions on budget airlines for overseas segments like EasyJet or Ryanair.

On the downside, we got a memo the other week that we can no longer expense business class on flights under 18 hours. Which is pretty much anywhere.

Goober Peas fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Apr 19, 2017

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Mandalay posted:

I would happily fly Jetblue over southwest, frontier, spirit. idk why they get casually tossed aside as a subpar airline.

We probably don't get a kickback from them

:shrug:

I know Delta, United, and AA give one if we have $X of corporate spend.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Goober Peas posted:

We probably don't get a kickback from them

:shrug:

I know Delta, United, and AA give one if we have $X of corporate spend.

And yes if you were to book a flight that has cumulative segments of 18 hours to one destination, you get business on the company dime.

Because that's easier than telling the handful of jerks abusing the system to cut it out or find another job :rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

kimcicle posted:

I wish my company would let me book business every time they make me go to Mumbai. :(

We have an operation in Hyderabad. It's a pain in the rear end to get proper documentation to do any work there, a pain in the rear end to get there, a pain in the rear end once you're there, a pain in the rear end to leave. Flying business is just about the only non-negative to having to go. If you get an assignment there, it's 30 days minimum due to the amount of red tape. Brazil is probably the next most complicated country for us to work in and it's a cakewalk by comparison.