Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Pvt Dancer posted:

The only remotely reasonable ones are where the login/pass are your room number and last name, make it simple you assholes.

As someone with a 14 letters non-English last name, I'd like to disagree. Hotel staff can't loving spell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I'm pissed at National since they used MyKey to limit the max speed of my rented Mustang to 80 and I had to bust rear end to make it to O'Hare last week. Still, I got a V6 mustang for no addition cost and it was kind of fun.

The first-worldest of first world problems.

Last time I got an upgrade, it was to a loving Impala. Thing looked like a boat, drove like one.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

If you ever travel to Newfoundland, be advised they charge extra for cars with winter tire.

Meaning they keep cars around with all-seasons. In the winter. In Newfoundland.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

caberham posted:

We will also drive from Stuttgart to Nuremberg, to Dresden, and then to Germany. Hope I don't die :ohdear:

Yeah so um...

Buy a small GPS unit once you get there, it'll be cheaper than 30 euros a day or data roaming.

FrozenVent fucked around with this message at 13:28 on May 19, 2014

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

I've seen a company refuse to pay expenses for an employee who had to stay behind for five days to receive medical treatment because it couldn't be proven that the issue was the result of work, and he wasn't technically working during the days he was sick.

Never mind that sending him home and flying in a replacement (which they didn't do) would have been more expensive, those living expenses would have looked bad on someone's metrics! (The union ended up getting involved and those expenses disappeared)

So no I have no problem believing someone could make a fuss over a GPS unit.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

If you get your bags searched by customs in the Republic of Friendlystan and they realize you have two passports, I imagine your day would get real interesting real fast.

If your passport's full, get some pages added and get the thick one next time. A second one I can only see bringing complications.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Did she mix up the gate and seat or something?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

I don't know what kind of roller bag you have that fits under the seat, mine sure as poo poo don't. I'll plane-side check the fucker if I see so much as a hint of being able though, mind you.

Jackets though, gently caress jackets. Especially flying in Canada in the winter; one of those big Canada Goose job'll take up as much overhead space as a carry on roller. Plus mittens and tuque and what have you... Just sit on the drat thing like you would in your car, damnit.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

caberham posted:

Man you guys got to go through a few Chinese airports. It's freaking madness.

But yeah never underestimate human stupidity.

Oh yeah I got this ready for my European trip

You're supposed to carry that poo poo in a giant cheap semi-mesh plastic bag. You know exactly the ones I'm talking about.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Bonus points for when it rips, scattering your loot everywhere throughout the terminal.

Check it :unsmigghh:

Edit: I was going through customs in Dallas when they made an announcement that they'd found a laptop in the cargo hold, and everyone please check your bag to see if your laptop had fallen out of it. Eventually they just sent the laptop out on the carousel in a little tray.

It was pretty :wtc:

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

I have gotten way more poo poo out of people by doing the confused-but-nice thing than I ever did by pulling DYKWIA (Honestly, if you're in a position to pull that you won't need to.)

There's a way to get poo poo out of people, and being aggressive / annoying / irritated barely ever works.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

In their defense, the TSA has a weird definition of "liquid".

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Doesn't your car need to be registered with CBP / CBSA as well?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Yeah GE is a US program, to get into Canada you need NEXUS. Coming back to the states you can use GE though.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Remember to shower afterwards.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

There's a video?

I've obviously never had to deal with CBSA as a foreigner, but I'd strongly advise against lying to a CBSA officer. They have a gigantic amount of discretionary power, and pissing them off could land you on the CBSA shitlist for years and years.

Plus the whole NEXUS thing is mostly aimed at people who cross the border for work-related reason, so it'd be pretty dumb if they just went "Uh you're not coming into Canada for work!"

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Mackieman posted:

Thanks for the clarification on that; it makes sense, but the US CPB website was less than forthcoming on this particular topic. I'm doing this next month so we'll wait like normal when we go into Canada but hopefully it will save us some time on the way back in as both my wife and I have Global Entry.

The CBSA's NEXUS website might have some more info; both agencies aren't too keen to discuss the other guy's program, for pretty obvious reasons.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Belldandy posted:

I got a little bit agitated at that point ... I got agitated ... I was upset ... I kept having to repeat this over and over and over and over. And at one point they had to tell me to lower my voice

There's your problem.

Don't ever get emotional around custom agents, anywhere in the world. It lights up their suspicion radar big time. What probably happened is you twigged the guy's spidey sense, which congratulation, you now get to answer more questions. Then you got upset and that just confirmed his belief that there was something up with you.

The best thing to do with customs is to keep thinking "This is boring; I'm bored" and do your best impression of an apathetic teenager. Then they get bored too and stamp your poo poo.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

I just had to book a car. Avis' got a few decent Aeroplan promo going right now... But then Budget comes in at ~40% of the price :wtc:

Woo, 90 points, I guess.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Friend of mine was travelling with a friend who'd won two Montreal - Hong Kong round trip tickets. On the way back, the flight was full so they got bumped to first from Hong Kong to Frankfurt because... Promo tickets I guess?

So anyway they get to Frankfurt, go to the business class or whatever lounge, walk up to the counter and go "So we got bumped to first on the other leg, we were wondering if you could... *bat eyelashes*"

And that loving worked. Hong Kong - Montreal, first class. I hate her.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

sellouts posted:

Bet both legs were upgraded and they just didn't print em the second boarding passes

Yeah that's possible; the way she tells the story they just asked nicely and got it. Maybe I should start doing that.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

I might hit Altitude 25 on Air Canada. :smith:

Basically my job went from almost 25% travel to 5% if that. The good part of the management changes didn't come through, either.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Nexus is like $50 and gets you GE, if you live anywhere near Canada (or travel in that area)

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Aristotle Animes posted:

Travel tip: Sanitary hand wipes are good for getting pit odor out of a shirt. And the Double Tree in San Diego is a bunch of crap... whoever heard of a DT a suite without robes. INDEED! :-P

Seriously, they make those little packs of baby wipes, I never leave home without them.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Aristotle Animes posted:

man i love flyertalk.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luft...-come-back.html

Dear FT, I drank and ate so much in the lounge that when I boarded the plane I had to yarg the sausages and cold cuts (I'm sure we've all been there) then LOT preceded to treat me like a disgusting pig. Please tell me that they should apologize for shooing my whale rear end off the flight and making me buy another ticket.

PS. Do they ever refresh the vol-au-vent tray around here? We still have 5 minutes so I think I'll get me another pint. Burp.

Wish I could see the airline employee's version of that story.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

You can get Nexus at most big Canadian airports (YYV, YUL, YVR... poo poo YOW has an enrollment center.)

Global entry is loving amazing. Single late twenties foreign citizen with a foreign sounding name, coming back from a vacation in South America? Took me five minutes to clear US customs. Awesome.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

PCjr sidecar posted:

I had heard (in this thread?) that the NEXUS interviewers expect you to have a justification for applying to NEXUS, e.g. travel to Canada regularly.

"I expect my role at work to be expanded soon, and this will likely include more frequent travel to the US to liaise with stakeholders."

Worked for me. Travelled to the states on business once since I got the card.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

MickeyFinn posted:

I showed up to my global entry appointment 1.5 hours early (gently caress you google traffic!) and they took me immediately. I was done in less than 15 minutes, which was kinda surreal. Now to see if either global entry or pre-check will work because my name has special characters in it!

My name has special characters in it and I've never had a problem.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Ynglaur posted:

I never noticed them carrying at the Toronto checkpoint, or in Chicago. This may be because I didn't notice, of course.

I'm not sure they carry while in Canada, because they have this weird thing here about being a sovereign country and poo poo.

But otherwise I've never seen a CBP rep without a gun, and quite often a flak jacket. US Customs, in my experience, are some of the rudest, harshest and most inflexible there are... And I've been to a few countries where they just point machine guns in your face,

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

I got on a Porter flight once and the stewardesses welcomed us wearing hats and winter jackets.

Like full on puffy winter coats you'd wear outside in Canada in January. In their defence, it was six AM in Canada in January. But goddamn that was a cold loving flight.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Had a guy playing the ukulele in the boarding line today. That was a first for me.

Wished he'd corralled his six years old instead, but hey, free entertainment.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

I honestly don't see what concur does, except tack on a charge to every booking. I still have to expense as if I'd bought directly from the airline, and so far it's always been the exact same price.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

I've dragged my cheap Air Canada branded bag through the mushy streets of Canada, it still works. gently caress carrying poo poo, my ancestors' ancestors' grandparents died inventing the wheel so I wouldn't have to carry my suitcase like a barbarian.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

What the gently caress are you packing that you need a bag that big for two weeks? Have you decided to forego laundry?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

You need therapy.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

DJCobol posted:

Gate agent at TPA had to check my reservation 3 times to make sure she was reading it right.

That's because no sane person would do what you're doing. She thinks you're crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Noctone posted:

$30 is my per diem full stop. :(

e: we are allowed to forego per diem and expense our meals up to a nebulous "reasonable" amount, but it's a huge pain in the rear end to keep track of and submit a bunch of meal receipts

I've never worked anywhere where we didn't have to do itemized receipts. I used to hate it, now I just take pictures of the receipt at the end of the day or whatever. The Concur app is actually not terrible for this (although it could use a lot of improvement and streamlining).

Did a three week overseas project where I had to itemize every single expense, I think my favourite was two bucks for a cup of coffee.