Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

caberham posted:

Hey goons, anyone here have a recommendation expense tracker app? Multi Currency appreciated!

I will be on a long trip soon and rather keep an electronic record instead of writing everything down each night. I have You Need A Budget, but I still suck at using the app.

Expensify is... alright. Not sure on the multi currency bit though, it has been a while since I used it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

This is getting in to flyertalk sperg city but if I recall correctly, CLT is only about 20% O&D. It's only strong by virtue of the fact that AWE routes a bunch of connecting traffic through. I would expect all of USAirway's hubs besides DCA to get a haircut.

Hmm, I hope PHL doesn't get hit too bad... is there anything official or is this all speculation at this point?

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Thoguh posted:

I have this song set to full volume on my phone alarm. It goes right through the earplugs.

God I hope that song is available on those TouchTunes machines they have at bars. I am going to put that on repeat.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
PHL is my home airport and most of my flights are non local so I very rarely see Gate F but I was flying from EWR to PHL today (ugh) and I have to say I was surprised how nice F is post construction. Granted I just went straight to the shuttle and didn't hang around for more than 5 minutes but it looks a million times better than before and the food options looked decent at the very least.

Edit: free (well) booze at US Airways clubs now! Thanks AA.

Lyon fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jul 27, 2014

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Aristotle Animes posted:

What's a local flight as opposed to a nonlocal flight?

I should have said regional, 99% of the US Airways flights operated by Regional Partner ABC fly out of F at PHL, most of my flights are not regional so I hardly ever fly out of F.

I don't hang out on flyer talk so pardon any jargon confusion.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
I was just stranded for the first time too. Drove from Philly area to EWR because the flight was about $800 cheaper to go EWR to PHL to SLC versus the direct flight out of PHL. Flight got cancelled in PHL and no flight to SLC until the next day at 615 pm so I rented a car in PHL and drove back to my apartment for the night. All in all it wasn't that bad but the whole thing was a pain in the neck.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
This really only applies to US/AA folks but I was looking at places to travel to this winter for an 'escape the cold and do something neat' vacation and round trip to Madrid is only 30k miles/person in February on US (if you have the CC otherwise it is 35k I realized). Take the train to Seville from there and the weather would be pretty nice.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Midjack posted:

FYI he's the guy from Hong Kong who has to bring a teapot and suitcase of noodles for his seniors whenever they travel. I'm surprised his company actually pays for hotels rather than making them sleep in the rental car.

Is that for real?

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
US Airways: 50k miles, Gold for 2015, will hopefully hit platinum
Marriott: Gold
IHG: Gold

Already have travel planned through most of October although it won't be that many miles since I'm going to Oklahoma and then to Ohio twice. Hoping to get one more international trip in before the weather turns totally (if I'm lucky on the scheduling).

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
So I'm booking award travel to Spain in February on US Airways because it is basically half off. I have 200k miles and I could book two round trip economy tickets for 60k points + $120 or I could book two round trip business class tickets for 190k points + $120. The aircraft is an A330-300 so it looks like business would be pretty slick. On the other hand I typically only earn about 100k miles/year (including credit card) so I'm a little hesitant to burn that many miles as it might make it harder to bring my girlfriend with me when I get international assignments from work.

Someone tell me what to do.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
Okay that works for me I will book economy and save my miles, thanks! Just as a heads up award travel to Europe in January and February on US Air is only 35k miles round trip. I'm planning to fly to Madrid and then take the train down to Seville where it averages around 55 degrees towards the end of February. Escaping the cold north east and getting to see Spain for relatively cheap seems win-win to me.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
Got a last minute assignment to the Netherlands and fly out this Sunday but can't find a oneworld flight that works leaving from the Philadelphia area. Going to end up sticking some nice international miles on Star Alliance/Lufthansa... sigh. Same issue flying to Cleveland the following week but I might take the train to Newark and fly out of their to get the miles on US Airways.

I'd very much like to find a oneworld flight to the Netherlands... any alternative search options beyond US Airways' website and Kayak?

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Thanks for this, through Google flights I got the most bizarre (but cheapest) routing out of Philadelphia. Still going to cost just under $2k but I'm not paying I guess so... I booked through American Airlines and I'm flying an Iberia codeshare on a US Airways flight to Amsterdam and then flying American back on a British Airways flight. It looks like I should get all my miles based on the fare code, hopefully anyway.

No idea if being Gold on US Air will get me any interesting perks on these flights but I doubt it since US Air doesn't do complimentary upgrades on international.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Small White Dragon posted:

BA, Iberia, Finnair and Air Berlin

US Airways merging with AA has really screwed me in Philadelphia. United has a lot of good flights out of Philly and Newark isn't far so I used to be able to get good flights domestically and the Star Alliance is by far the best airline alliance particularly internationally, very sad.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
Any suggestions for something to check out in Amsterdam on a Friday night? Staying at the airport but flight isn't until tomorrow morning.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
I do software sales (formerly software training) for laboratories. This year I think I'll end up right around 75k miles. So not nearly as much as some of you characters but a pretty decent amount of travel.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

air- posted:

Executive plat has infinite complementary ones, but platinum/gold have to use 500 mile upgrades.

I think this is coming to us airways once they merge the programs which annoys me. Upgrades on us are pretty decent right now and I get them fairly often as gold. I haven't looked into all the details yet so I don't know if it will actually make my life worse not.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Midjack posted:

If the question is "will it be worse" the answer is always "yes".

air- posted:

As a gold on AA, I managed to get an upgrade only once: LAS-DFW and it was early on a Sunday morning. I always had spare 500 mile stickers.

Balls, what the hell is the point of the lower tier status on American then? Even as a silver on US you could get upgrades if there was availability. I will probably hit 75k this year but I think that will be the highest I can reach at this job.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
Get a wide/comfortable strap to wrap around the top of your seat and across your forehead. Like a giant head band.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

AA uses the 500 mile sticker process which in theory allows you to target specific segments/routes for upgrades but in practice reduces the number of upgrades you receive and is also Byzantine and obnoxious to manage.

Coming from US Airways this new policy is very annoying. I still book through the US Airways website rather than the American one because until they finally merge the booking systems together you still get free auto upgrades on flights booked through US.

Also Oneworld sucks for travel to Europe and I seriously miss the Star Alliance. I have an 11 hour overnight layover in Heathrow because I wanted to get my miles into my AA/US account and it was my only option that wasn't insanely expensive. Granted I'm probably going to expense a hotel room and it will end up costing my company exactly the same amount of money as if I had booked the expensive Oneworld flight but had to get the flight approved... woof.

Lyon fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Aug 25, 2015

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

AgrippaNothing posted:

Redeye roll call; how many of you do this? Do you have to? Why?

My travel is usually Sunday to Thursday or Monday to Friday so I'll always take a redeye over losing the majority of Friday/Saturday. I would much rather get in early on Friday/Saturday than midday/night. If I do Sunday - Thursday I usually just take Friday off or Monday - Friday I reclaim some time the next week or whatever.

Honestly I really don't mind them but I am east coast based. If I had to take a red eye and go to work as soon as I landed I would be pretty annoyed. I would just fly out a day early and make the company pay for a hotel.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
Booked a flight on British Airways from Philadelphia to London to Copenhagen as US/AA platinum (middle of the road) and got bumped to business class for some reason. I'm certainly not complaining but not sure why it happened exactly. Never gotten a free upgrade on an international except for when I was literally the last person to board the plane and they had given away my seat. I wonder if they oversold this flight or what.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
Had the devil's own luck this morning. Flying a 5:10 AM out of PHL and I overslept and didn't get to security until 4:40 and of course security is packed with all the Monday morning travelers so I figure I'm totally hosed.

As I debate running from A to B to see if security is any better there they announce the pre-check line just opened. I never signed up for pre-check because I'm an idiot and US Airways doesn't automatically give you pre-check if you have status. Luckily this flight was booked as an American flight so I check the boarding pass and it has the pre-check symbol. I did a little dance that I'm sure anyone watching was amused, confused, or appalled by and was the second person in line for pre-check.

Not sure what I did to deserve that luck but holy poo poo, definitely one of my closest (self inflicted) calls.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

FunOne posted:

Looks like AA is about to switch to earning miles on spend instead of but in seat, and the rumors are that they're also going to devalue the program. Probably going to be hard to get in a multi-week vacay in the coming year, what should I be thinking about with respect to my half-million mile stash?

I'd really like to start burning some of them on international upgrades on my work trips, but I don't get why I also have to throw a co-pay in on top. gently caress that, just charge me more miles damnit.

Bonus if you know what to do with three quarters of a million HHonors points.

Obviously, I just travel for work and never take vacations.

Do you know when the devaluation is expected to be? I'm also sitting on about half a million AA points. I have a wedding in New Zealand coming up but I don't know the dates yet so I can't book anything but I imagine two round trip tickets to NZ will be a lot of points (or money). It is only 40k/ticket round trip to Paris in April/May so I may just book a trip there if the devaluation is coming soon.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
I’m looking for a good ~45L duffel bag. I’d prefer a U opening but other than that I’m fairly open to anything. The timbuk2 Impulse is fairly close to what I wanted but doesn’t appear to be available anywhere.

Any suggestions would be great.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
One of the sales reps managed to spend $120k on T&E, they don’t travel that much and nothing international. I’m honestly just impressed. I want to see the itemized list because my T&E for the year is like $25k and I’ve been to almost every trade show and customer visit since I started here in February.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
I believe if you aren’t driving to your home/official/whatever office that it would be considered work travel and you should check with your company about their auto insurance policy and reimbursement for travel to work sites.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
There's two main things in my opinion, Americans are notoriously bad about saving for retiremrent and even if you're financially secure, honestly, there's a lot of time to fill in a day if you don't have hobbies.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
It's rare I get drunk in lounges/on planes but I'll grab a glass of wine or two sometimes. I do really like having the option though.

Has anyone ever asked AA, and had success, to start counting trips/mileage to next year's status window? Essentially asking for rollover similar to what Delta offers (offered?). I have a last minute trip to Poland coming up and there's almost zero chance I'll hit exec plat by the end of February.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
Drinking alone is normal and good.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Cacafuego posted:

Re-qual’d as platinum pro with AA thanks to credit card spend. Pretty sure I’ll drop to platinum next year.

The credit card spend is benefitting me, I think. If I didn't split out my hotel stays onto my Marriott card it would 100% be benefitting me. I believe I'm going to reach exec plat this year but partially on the back of a last minute trip to Germany where I booked premium economy and will end up paying the ~$800 fare difference out of pocket. At this point I'm hoarding AA and Marriott points like Smaug. I'll probably try to do something wild with them that I would never be able to justify doing with cash.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
Due to a lucky last minute trip to Germany and an unhealthy amount of credit card spend I officially made it to exec plat yesterday. This is my first time hitting exec plat so I’m actually sort of excited even if it won’t really change anything in the grand scheme of things.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
I haven't had to do this post pandemic (so maybe things have changed) but if you're near one of the federal passport agencies you can show up with your flight booking information and they'll expedite the passport process based on how far away your trip is (time wise, not distance). I showed up the day before my flight and got the passport the same day, just had to kill a few hours waiting for them to make it.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/get-fast/passport-agencies.html posted:

Our passport agencies and centers provide in-person services to customers who have urgent international travel within 14 calendar days or need a foreign visa within 28 calendar days.

Passport agencies and centers are operated by the U.S. Department of State and are different than passport acceptance facilities which may include post offices, libraries, and local government offices.

You must have an appointment to visit a passport agency or center. We offer two types of appointments: Life-or-Death Emergency Service and Urgent Travel Service. You must call us to make one of these appointments.

You can also find contact information for each location on this page if you need to respond to a letter we sent you.

If you follow that link the passport agency locations are listed.

Lyon fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Mar 3, 2023

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

ROJO posted:

What are the global entry renewal times like for anyone else? My wife put her renewal stuff in in last June and is still sitting at "Pending Review" in the online portal. It has the general language about a "significant increase in application volume" and that the grace period for benefits is extended, but this seems a little ridiculous at this point. I don't have a point of reference because my renewal processed and approved with no interview almost immediately due to (I assume) my job. So I am wondering what other people are seeing and whether this is normal, or she got hung up somewhere in the process and we need to figure out how to unstick it. Thanks!

I can't 100% confirm the exact details but in the CBP portal it shows a payment date of February 10th and an approval date of February 11th. I think you pay when you apply so it was a one day turn around, no interview, and they reused my old picture on the new card. I am an ordinary schlub and don't have any sort of extra clearance/identification from my job so it sounds like your wife's application may have gotten lost/stuck.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
Has anyone tried the Solgaard? I’ll admit I’m tempted by the gimmick.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
Yeah in reality just pick whichever of the major brands has the best coverage for the places you’re likely to travel. I’m Marriott because my old manager was Marriott and that’s where we always stayed. I’ll hit lifetime platinum this year and then I might see what else is out there.

The perks at Marriott aren’t that great but the late checkout and room guarantee at Titanium are convenient. The real reason to solidify on one brand is for the free vacations. Marriott has a huge array of properties across the world so I have no complaints there really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
I got the Patagonia Maximum Legal Carryon 45L duffel for when I don’t want a wheelie bag. It’s got a comfortable cross strap and handles. It can be rough on the lower back (I’m old) if you’re standing a lot but sometimes I just don’t want to deal with a wheelie bag.

I’ve been eyeing that gimmicky Solgaard but haven’t convinced myself to pull the trigger yet (I love gimmick bags).